Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Bregor posted:

https://twitter.com/LaVelleNeal/status/1319334510580944901

oh cool the only actual good rule change is on the chopping block

is this saying anything other than "the previous rule change was just for 2020, if they want to do a DH in the NL they'll need to agree to it again for 2021" because we already knew that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

more falafel please posted:

is this saying anything other than "the previous rule change was just for 2020, if they want to do a DH in the NL they'll need to agree to it again for 2021" because we already knew that

Maybe you're right but there have been so many statements from MLB about unilaterally keeping the expanded playoffs or runner on 2nd in extras that I've lost track of what needs to be negotiated.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

my understanding is that basically every rule change from this season has to be negotiated, but that MLB specifically wants to keep expanded playoffs/extra innings rule, and is seemingly willing to use the offer of a universal DH to try to get that

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Can I get a lil' happy 19th birthday to the M's last post season game?

It's all grown up and excited to vote in the upcoming election. Might even head up to Canada to drink legally.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Tony Phillips posted:

Can I get a lil' happy 19th birthday to the M's last post season game?

It's all grown up and excited to vote in the upcoming election. Might even head up to Canada to drink legally.

It's Ichiro's birthday today too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYAxk01E404

:toot:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

I remember a remix of that video with anime music and bad graphics of the Earth imploding and for the life of me I can't find it on Youtube. :smith:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Bregor posted:

I remember a remix of that video with anime music and bad graphics of the Earth imploding and for the life of me I can't find it on Youtube. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arDDc2sffx4

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Bregor posted:

I thought that was the Rivera home run clip but could be misremembering. Has a name in Kanji (I think) and unless you bookmark it - it's impossible to find.

Well drat. I'd swear there's a version of his HR off Rivera as well. With some scene of an apocalyptic movie or something?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Thanks!! :swoon:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Tony Phillips posted:

I thought that was the Rivera home run clip but could be misremembering. Has a name in Kanji (I think) and unless you bookmark it - it's impossible to find.

Well drat. I'd swear there's a version of his HR off Rivera as well. With some scene of an apocalyptic movie or something?
Yeah I definitely remember the home run one as well

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tony Phillips posted:

From 2012 (the movie) I think.

I used to have it favorited on youtube but it got deleted at some point :(

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

From 2012 (the movie) I think.

I used to have it favorited on youtube but it got deleted at some point :(

Yeah - I came up with the movie name but no amount of googling found it for me. Doesn't help that you get a ton of results for the home run itself.

I can even hear the silly rear end music they dubbed in on the video.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Tony Phillips posted:

Yeah - I came up with the movie name but no amount of googling found it for me. Doesn't help that you get a ton of results for the home run itself.

I can even hear the silly rear end music they dubbed in on the video.

Found one version in the The True Hit King thread from a year or so ago, a wonderful goon (Mr. Fix It) put it on streamable:

https://streamable.com/ibvel

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
that’s right

https://twitter.com/freesedwi/status/1319463561563938818?s=21

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
So I have to vote for Trump now?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
If you want to be wrong, yes

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I have been reading a lot of baseball history lately, as one does.

I realize this is way off topic right now with the Series going on, and also just kind of loving generally out there I guess, but I have noticed there is a real tendency today to look at Joe DiMaggio as... just not very good, compared to a lot of others we see as greats in the game.

I know a lot of you SaS goons are into sabermetrics. Is it because of WAR?

One thing contemporary sources always talk about is something that you can't see in stats... that when he played the outfield, he just never made any play look hard, because his positioning and movement after contact was just perfect. I realize dWAR is imprecise, and I guess especially so with players from the old days.

One thing I can never, ever get over is that the year he hit in 56 straight games, he struck out just thirteen loving times. That is insane.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrMojok posted:

I have been reading a lot of baseball history lately, as one does.

I realize this is way off topic right now with the Series going on, and also just kind of loving generally out there I guess, but I have noticed there is a real tendency today to look at Joe DiMaggio as... just not very good, compared to a lot of others we see as greats in the game.

I know a lot of you SaS goons are into sabermetrics. Is it because of WAR?

One thing contemporary sources always talk about is something that you can't see in stats... that when he played the outfield, he just never made any play look hard, because his positioning and movement after contact was just perfect. I realize dWAR is imprecise, and I guess especially so with players from the old days.

One thing I can never, ever get over is that the year he hit in 56 straight games, he struck out just thirteen loving times. That is insane.

Look at DiMaggio's OPS+ numbers, then also bear in mind he lost several seasons due to the war.

Dude was an otherworldly talent.

Sydin posted:

Now that the players have gotten a taste Manfred is gonna dangle it as a bargaining chip during the CBA negotiations. Universal DH is like, one of the few rule changes the union actually likes, so of course they're not getting it for free.

The union will get the universal DH in exchange for the "runner on 2nd to start the 10th" rule, because the MLBPA loving sucks at negotiation.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

DiMaggio gets hit hard by the war, losing his 28-30 year old seasons (the years basically agreed to be a players prime) which hurts him bunch. He's also not helped by the fact that, his prime. as good as it was, wasn't quite to the level of the guys he's generally compared to in all time great centerfielders in Ty Cobb/Tris Speaker, or Mickey Mantle/Willie Mays. Cobb, in his prime, was almost unquestionably the best player in baseball, with an absurd .387/457/.539 split, in an era where the average team slugged .350 or so. Speaker, in roughly the same era, managed a line of .351/.438/.494 while also playing defense in center that was considered masterful. Moving to the 50s/60s, Mantle was a monster hitter, hitting .313/.441/.606. Mays was a step behind offensively at .317/.391/.594, but was helped by the fact that he was possibly the greatest five tool player ever, combing insane speed (stealing some 230 bases in his prime) with possibly the greatest defense in Center for a generation.

DiMaggio gets shittalked, but it's less because he's bad, and more because CF in particular has probably the strongest set of players all time to patrol it.

EDIT: Like, he's probably a top 6 or 7 all time center fielder despite losing the three most prime seasons of his career, that's not bad at all, unless you compare it to the absolute best.

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 23, 2020

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Now think about how Trout is 5 WAR from DiMaggio.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Nice. Thanks for the responses, guys.

What got me on this was reading, or perhaps re-reading and I had forgotten about it, that DiMaggio had a 61-game hit streak in the minors before he had the 56-game streak in MLB. Then I was struck by how many accounts I read and saw from people who saw him play, who talked about his prowess in the outfield.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The story I've always gotten about DiMaggio is that he was a great player, maybe not the best but inner circle level, and he got screwed by the war and his illness. So not held in as high regard as Cobb/Williams/Mays/Mantle/Ruth, but like the next level, and with a lot against him that was out of his control.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Since you brought up Mantle, Llama, and since I just cannot stop talking about this stuff once I start, here is a geek thing I did a while back about him.

Mantle was one of the greatest players of all time, who suffered serious injuries and had a serious alcohol problem as well, and we will always wonder: how good could he have been?

Well, in the 1957 WS, he was on second and the pitcher whirled around and tried to pick him off. The throw was high, and the 2B Red Schoendienst had to jump up for it, and when he came down, all his weight landed on Mantle's right shoulder. Mantle probably suffered a separation, and likely other damage, but back then they lacked the ability to diagnose and treat a lot of things.

The very next season, Mantle's splits as LHB suffered greatly, and never recovered. The picture prior to that is of a player just getting better and better, slash line going up and strikeouts going down, but after that he is never the same as LHB.

Contemporary reports talk about the damage to the lead shoulder resulting in him just not being able to get around on inside fastballs anymore as LHB, and especially ones that were high and inside. Look at what happens to his splits:

Greatest "what-if" of all time?!?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Mantle is insanely frustrating, because he probably tore his ACL in 1951 as a rookie playing in RF, going after a ball in the 51' world series and tripping over a drain pipe.

He very possibly had a top 5 career all loving time in CF despite likely playing on a torn ACL effectively his entire career and separating his shoulder in 1957. You take those two injuries away and I have 0 doubt in my mind he's the greatest hitter in MLB history bar loving no one, not ruth, not bonds.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Advanced defensive stats are imprecise now, for anything before like the 2000s or so when fielding data was less complete it's worth even less. Take it with large grains of salt for older players

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

TheFlyingLlama posted:

You take those two injuries away and I have 0 doubt in my mind he's the greatest hitter in MLB history bar loving no one, not ruth, not bonds.

I agree with this

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Griffey might have entered the conversation if the injuries didn't sap away potentially productive full seasons in his 30s

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Mantle is insanely frustrating, because he probably tore his ACL in 1951 as a rookie playing in RF, going after a ball in the 51' world series and tripping over a drain pipe.

He very possibly had a top 5 career all loving time in CF despite likely playing on a torn ACL effectively his entire career and separating his shoulder in 1957. You take those two injuries away and I have 0 doubt in my mind he's the greatest hitter in MLB history bar loving no one, not ruth, not bonds.

He/others blamed the knee injury on DiMaggio, who refused to move out of center even in his last season in baseball.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

TheFlyingLlama posted:

You take those two injuries away and I have 0 doubt in my mind he's the greatest hitter in MLB history bar loving no one, not ruth, not bonds.

Even then the answer is still Ted Williams.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Dimaggio's '41 season is still maybe my favorite baseball season of all time. Dude was using a loving log for a bat and only struck out 13 times.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Penisaurus Sex posted:

He/others blamed the knee injury on DiMaggio, who refused to move out of center even in his last season in baseball.

Given Joe was an rear end in a top hat sure I'll go with that

Thankfully we have Mantle 2.0 in Trout even though he'll never win a world series until he's 38 and pinch hitting on the Yankees/Astros

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

bewbies posted:

Dimaggio's '41 season is still maybe my favorite baseball season of all time. Dude was using a loving log for a bat and only struck out 13 times.

He has an absurd as Hell record 7 seasons where he hit more HRs than he had strike outs. (20 HR min.)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Tony Phillips posted:

He has an absurd as Hell record 7 seasons where he hit more HRs than he had strike outs. (20 HR min.)
His career strikeout total only surpassed his career home run total in his final season. He has 8 more K than HR in his career, and the difference was +24 K in that final season.

It was a very different game then.

It's also wild how careers ended back then. His OPS+ in his 30's went: 142, 154, 164, 178, 151, 116. One decline year at 36 and welp that's it.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 23, 2020

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Tony Gwynn had 109 more doubles than strikeouts.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bawfuls posted:

His career strikeout total only surpassed his career home run total in his final season. He has 8 more K than HR in his career, and the difference was +24 K in that final season.

It was a very different game then.

It's also wild how careers ended back then. His OPS+ in his 30's went: 142, 154, 164, 178, 151, 116. One decline year at 36 and welp that's it.

I got curious based on this and looked up Babe Ruth's

The OPS+ for final 10 years of his career: 226, 225, 206, 193, 211, 218, 201, 176, 160, 119

I guess the shame of that 119 was too much to bear

Granted he was 40

And his actual slash was .181/.359/.431 in the age of batting average being king

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

that age 40 season was 28 games with the Boston Braves (.167 babip)

His final Yankee year was "only" 22 HR and 84 RBI so from the perspective of that time the Yankees probably felt he was old and busted. I think there was also some conflict about Ruth wanting to transition to managing and the Yankees weren't going to give him that opportunity.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

bawfuls posted:

that age 40 season was 28 games with the Boston Braves (.167 babip)

His final Yankee year was "only" 22 HR and 84 RBI so from the perspective of that time the Yankees probably felt he was old and busted. I think there was also some conflict about Ruth wanting to transition to managing and the Yankees weren't going to give him that opportunity.

The conspiracy theory is that Ruth wanted to manage an integrated club and the Yankees wanted no part of that

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 23, 2020

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KF1mznhHA0

V: I stan

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

:350:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

That channel rules and deserves more -

Whoa wait, it did get more views, what the gently caress?