Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Poison Wind Mortars: so good they straight up got removed from TT for being too OP

Well ok, I assume they were fine in TT but in TW the unit concept is straight up brokenly good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Lord Koth posted:

Fixed that for you. Poisoned Wind Mortars are legitimately one of the most bullshit things in the entire game against virtually all factions, particularly since they removed them applying the DoT to friendly units.

Wait hold the gently caress on, this can't be true? I know they did it for poison but the poison wind mortar DoT aswell? The only weakness was the horrendous friendly fire they caused!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Noir89 posted:

Wait hold the gently caress on, this can't be true? I know they did it for poison but the poison wind mortar DoT aswell? The only weakness was the horrendous friendly fire they caused!
They did it for all poison effects across the broad and across all factions.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The wood elf DLC is so bad they had to make a second one to boost sales for the first

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What even the gently caress is the point of playing skaven if you can't kill half your army with friendly fire?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Endorph posted:

I thought they removed it from all poison attacks _except_ poison wind mortars?

Patch notes posted:

BATTLE BALANCE CHANGES
Contact effects and friendly fire

Stop me if you’ve heard this one before… You’ve recruited a fresh-faced group of Chameleon Skinks to support your Saurus push. The lines clash and the Skinks start volleying the enemy, then you realise you’ve poisoned your own troops… again!

Poison and other contact effects on ranged weapons have long been a double-edged sword. Friendly fire meant you could poison your own troops just as readily as the enemy’s, leaving you with a zero-sum result. With this update friendly fire will still cause damage, but will never inflict debilitating contact effects on your own units. This also applies to vortices, bombardments and other sources of friendly fire debilitation… all except for Poisoned Wind. Because Skaven!
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-warhammer-ii-the-total-waaagh-update/

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 23, 2020

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Endorph posted:

Not just poison. Any ranged attack that applies a debuff (expect skaven mortars). So also things like the scorch on dwarven flame throwers.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Power Walrus posted:

I'm finally playing a Thorgrim campaign past turn 90. I used to get bored of the big empire clickfest each turn, so now I'm focusing on either taking a whole province or razing every settlement, and expanding slowly. Currently, I'm in a hellwar with Eshin, and while I can beat them pretty handily, they always manage to kill at least one of my arty units with Menace Below. Its gotten to the point where I keep a unit of Slayers and Hammerers with my cannons, and even then, the clanrats acquit themselves well. Is that just the price of fighting against Skaven?

It does give me ideas on what is useful against Dwarves, Poisoned Wind Mortars! Holy moley, they are devastating!

If any of your lords or heros causes fear in the enemy put them with the artillery. Menace Belows break very quickly.

I'm playing as Skryre right now and have my army rampaging through Bretonnia. That regiment of renown poisoned wind mortar unit easily gets 1000 kills on all my siege attacks.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Power Walrus posted:

I'm finally playing a Thorgrim campaign past turn 90. I used to get bored of the big empire clickfest each turn, so now I'm focusing on either taking a whole province or razing every settlement, and expanding slowly. Currently, I'm in a hellwar with Eshin, and while I can beat them pretty handily, they always manage to kill at least one of my arty units with Menace Below. Its gotten to the point where I keep a unit of Slayers and Hammerers with my cannons, and even then, the clanrats acquit themselves well. Is that just the price of fighting against Skaven?
Nah, the price of fighting against Skaven is taking your eye off the ball for a split second in a siege and watching 2/3rds of a unit of Ironbreakers die instantly to Warp Bomb.

But yes, Menace Below is annoying. You might have more luck leaving a unit of Thunderers to babysit your artillery. Irondrakes can do it too, and are generally really good against Skaven, but they'll cause a fair bit of friendly fire.

Researching Rat Poison can help too, but it takes a while. And it only applies to characters, so you'll need to leave a Thane or an Engineer or something nearby.

Re poisoned wind mortars, the solution to them as Dwarfs is the same as the solution to all your other problems: Organ guns.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Communist Thoughts posted:

i dunno why every mod insists on making the game slower

trying out SFO and its gonna take 9 turns to get to growth 2? who thinks thats fun?

Late to this also but the trick with SFO is turn off tax for a massive growth boost. Each faction handles it differently but the other thing is to build growth boosting buildings, use commandments, and there are technologies that accelerate it too.

But if a province isn't making much money just turn off tax, you get a big growth boost and also you want public order as high as possible because having high order confers bonuses to the province and often to armies in it too, while low order has penalties. It's particualrly harsh as brettonia where if you fight in a low order province your armies all rout super fast because brettonian peasants are awful cowards.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

How does the Waaagh thing work? I've got an Orc neighbor that's apparently "waagh" now and all his armies have double stacks.

I'm not at war with him, if i wait will these extra dudes go away? Or just attack now while he's attacking someone else?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

They will go away, extra troops are there for 10 or 20 turns, forgot which.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I assume the AI actually goes for their waaagh target too, because sometimes those crazy bastards pull it off.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Any way for me to find out what their target is? They’re moving in the direction of the blue dwarfs so probably them.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You'll know when you hear the echoing laughter of thirsting gods.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I feel like taking too long in a Non-Ritual Vortex campaign provides you the punishment of eternally having to fight one enemy -- that 150+ turn time marking a the forever war with Dark Elves/Skaven/High Elves.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Any way for me to find out what their target is? They’re moving in the direction of the blue dwarfs so probably them.

I believe it’s given to you in a pop up when the waaaagh is announced.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Twigand Berries posted:

I believe it’s given to you in a pop up when the waaaagh is announced.
This is correct, and also one of my complaints about the new Waaagh mechanics because once you get that one popup, the only way to see what the Waaagh is targeting is a floor around the city, and that's it. If the Waaagh falls or succeeds it never mentioned what city ever again.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I could swear the pop up didn’t mention the city but who knows.

My problem is I’m playing Setra and apparently Grimgor Ironsides (or something) has almost entirely encircled me, he’s got a waagh going, and he’s #1 in power ranking.

I don’t really want to start a fight with anyone else because I’ll be boned if he attacks me while I’m distracted. I counted at least 3 double stacks vs my 3.

I think I’ll just try and backdoor his capital and just raze all his poo poo while he’s I think fighting dwarves.

Then run away to the desert if I need to and do that sandstorm thing. Should have chariot Settra with triple war meowers by then.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Death Globe ROR Mortar team is hilariously evil. They can kill an entire unit with one well placed volley.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Skaven mortars are easily the most bullshit thing in their roster, and, let's remember, we're talking about a faction that is full of bullshit.

They're especially devastating in offensive sieges... all those tasty, bunched up targets on the walls...

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Whoever decided to not include any of the rules about things exploding or backfiring is a huge Skaven fan and it was all a long con.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Going around sacking Grimgor's poo poo for the $$$ and just letting some rando orc faction that I've got a non-agression pact with take everything.

Then they confederated with Grimgor and he's like double as strong now because he got everything back for free from his enemy :psyduck:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Going around sacking Grimgor's poo poo for the $$$ and just letting some rando orc faction that I've got a non-agression pact with take everything.

Then they confederated with Grimgor and he's like double as strong now because he got everything back for free from his enemy :psyduck:

Grimgor beat him in a fight. Don't ally with greenskins against greenskins unless you're also a greenskin and have a plan to bash both their heads in.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Yeah Orcs confederate super-easy now, it's a big reason why Dwarves is a hell-playthrough now

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
It makes sense, but I had completely forgotten that Orcs now have the Norsca confederation mechanic.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I could swear the pop up didn’t mention the city but who knows.

My problem is I’m playing Setra and apparently Grimgor Ironsides (or something) has almost entirely encircled me, he’s got a waagh going, and he’s #1 in power ranking.

I don’t really want to start a fight with anyone else because I’ll be boned if he attacks me while I’m distracted. I counted at least 3 double stacks vs my 3.

I think I’ll just try and backdoor his capital and just raze all his poo poo while he’s I think fighting dwarves.

Then run away to the desert if I need to and do that sandstorm thing. Should have chariot Settra with triple war meowers by then.
You can spot the Waaagh target because it puts a glowy green effect around the city. If none of your cities have that, you're good.

edit: also the Waagh armies aren't as good as the main armies they're attached to. Fighting one isn't as bad as fighting two separate full stacks would be.

JT Jag posted:

Yeah Orcs confederate super-easy now, it's a big reason why Dwarves is a hell-playthrough now
Maybe I'm a masochist but I really enjoy the Dwarf campaign now. It actually feels lore appropriate, your back is against the wall and you're hanging on by your fingertips at first. No way is it "Easy" though. CA really need to update the little faction blurbs.

The main downside is you eventually have to fight Mors and Eshin and that's just unfun in a bad, tedious way, especially as Dwarfs

Zephro fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 24, 2020

Cocomonk3
Oct 21, 2010
Today, I found out that Albion is suitable climate for Aranessa (not sure if it's just her or other Vampirates). Although for some reason, Konquata, the province capital, can't build the defensive buildings except for the Skaven detecting one. Gonna be fun trying to hold that.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Isn't Konquata classified as a Norscan settlement? Those can't build walls.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
I got this on sale recently and 80 hours later, completed my first campaign. I picked Ikit Claw and the Skaven are loving nuts. I thought they'd be Medieval Zerg with lovely units, a complicated economy, and a few galaxy brain tricks to make it somehow work out. Instead I'm playing a Justice League nemesis with thirteen different doomsday weapons. The whole concept of infesting one neighbor, then signing a treaty so they protect your warpstone mines for free while you stay in perma-war with your other partner is a level of diabolical I never expected. And of course on top of that and the 13,000 green bullets in the air at all times and the death ray artillery, Here's A loving Nuke

Starting a Norsca campaign now to fill out all the Vermintide enemy factions, and they're great so far too but I don't expect anything to be as perfect as Skaven yes-yes

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

OwlFancier posted:

What even the gently caress is the point of playing skaven if you can't kill half your army with friendly fire?

Judging by the fact that most people seem to play skaven with pure gunline armies that don't actually engage in melee combat at all, I don't think a lot of people associate friendly fire with skaven in Total War. :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean yeah me too but if I could I would also take a pile of skavenslaves just so I could blow them up, but if it's them or more guns, sorry buddy I need more warp lighning cannons.

Really just let me spawn a unit of skavenslaves attached to every other unit, I don't wanna have to actually manage the things. Don't I have rats to do skavenslave logistics for me?

Kirinith
Oct 21, 2010

JT Jag posted:

Found this one out the hard way, haha. Just bought the game with the big sale, and decided to go Dwarfs for my first campaign since it was labelled "easy". Lost the campaign at around turn 15 because the small force of tutorial orks immediately allied with Grimgor, who then showed up two turns later out of nowhere with two full stacks of boyz and sacked Karaz-a-Karak while I was figuring out how to buy muskets :supaburn:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

gently caress Skaven

Love, Brettonia

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

Oh, I forgot to mention: I went into The Skaven experience without expecting to be given the second most devastating AoE in the game (the first also belonging to the Skaven) with the catch that you can only target your own units

Cocomonk3
Oct 21, 2010

Azran posted:

Isn't Konquata classified as a Norscan settlement? Those can't build walls.

The minors in the province can though, oddly enough. So they're well defended while the cap maxes out at 12 defenders.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Kirinith posted:

Found this one out the hard way, haha. Just bought the game with the big sale, and decided to go Dwarfs for my first campaign since it was labelled "easy". Lost the campaign at around turn 15 because the small force of tutorial orks immediately allied with Grimgor, who then showed up two turns later out of nowhere with two full stacks of boyz and sacked Karaz-a-Karak while I was figuring out how to buy muskets :supaburn:
Yeah Dwarfs are in no way easy these days, I really wish CA would change the description. If you want to try again, the trick is to stay in the Silver Road (your starting province) until you've got things under control. Go tall, not wide. More specific spoilers if you want them:

IMO Grombrindal is a better start than Thorgrim. Grombrindal gets Irondrakes straight away, whereas Thorgrim gets a catapult. The catapult is a low-tier unit that you can quickly get as Grombrindal, whereas Irondrakes are tier 3 and take a lot longer. Irondrakes also absolutely murder early-game greenskin units, so you can get hundreds of kills with them per battle easily. And Grombrindal's blue-line skills are really, really good.

Karaz-a-Karak has a strong garrison and can fend for itself for large parts of the game. You need to focus on defending Mount Squighorn and Pillars of Grungni. If you build walls in a settlement the AI is much less likely to bother attacking it, so your goal for both should be to get the third-level walls building as soon as possible.

In the meantime, the best way to defend them is to leave an army in ambush stance equidistant between the two towns. The AI will often use underway stance to hop over from the south close to one or the other settlement. If you position your ambushing army right you can attack with the help of the settlement garrison and crush them. It's generally a good idea to only fight when you've got the garrison for backup, at least at first while you're building your army up.

If you do the first quest you're given you'll get a free hero. You can use him to scout out in the badlands, so if a big army does come barrelling towards Karaz-a-Karak you can spot it early and move up to help defend it. The quest battle is pretty easy, and should be doable by even a quite small army. You can also teleport straight to it rather than having to spend several turns walking there.

You can start moving out once you have enough for a full stack main army plus a smaller army to defend your home province with the technique mentioned above. Dwarf armies are all about using a line of tough infantry to hold the enemy up while the missile troops do the actual damage. Quarrellers, Thunderers, and artillery will get the majority of your kills most of the time. Irondrakes are really good but you probably only want one per army.

When you do move out, your main choice is whether to go north or south.

If you go north you can take Mount Gunbad, which, once it reaches tier 3, has a unique building that provides huge amounts of income and will solve your economic problems at a stroke. It's also in a pretty defensible place, and it gives you a base to wipe out the minor greenskin factions to the north, which will remove an annoying thorn in your side. Plus you'll meet Karak Kadrin, who you can get a trade agreement with.

If you go south you can try to take out Black Crag, which is Grimgor's capital. You don't necessarily have to be able to hold it - if you raze it you'll deny him access to high-tier buildings for a long time and that will take a lot of the power out the armies he sends your way. When you do get around to settling it, it's the capital of another pretty rich province.

Artillery is great, even the low-tier Grudge Throwers. You can use your lord to tie up 2-3 units of Orks and then have the grudge throwers fire into the melee. They're very unlikely to hit your lord but will kill hundreds of greenskins. Organ Guns are amazing and you should grab 3+ per army asap

Zephro fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 25, 2020

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

If you start as Thorgrim, you need to construct a Tier 4 building to unlock Grombrindal (I think). If you choose to start as Grombrindal instead, you need to fulfill 8 grudges to recruit Thorgrim (easy enough!).

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Dwarfs went from real easy in wh1 and early wh2 to one of the harder campaigns atm in ME.
If you survive against the greenskins you still have the rats pouring in from the east to worry about, as well as a possible vampire empire rising in the northwest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Shooting out the wall section that Karl Franz was standing on turned out to be a bad idea. :thunk: I guess I assumed he'd be fine because he had wings.