Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Well I wish your posting was limited time only.

The candle that burns the brightest etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

FOMO works when an item has a limited release that people would normally wait for a massive price drop or just buy "when they're ready", but that's pretty counter to Nintendo's usual evergreen strategy where they keep many of their titles at or near MSRP for years anyways.

Cynically you could say that Super Mario 3D All-Stars smashed sales records due to FOMO, but honestly it's Mario and it was going to make record sales even without a limited release.

Which makes me think that whatever marketing manager at Nintendo thought that limited releases and FOMO-driven sales doesn't get it and they're screwing around here compromising future access for no good reason. That, or they already know the end strategy is to toss all this on NSO in a year anyways.

Nintendo Switch: comprising future access

night slime
May 14, 2014

Super No Vacancy posted:

make nintendo uncle posts bannable. yes the famous meme from 30 years ago very clever!!

You're banning my uncle??

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

enojy posted:

Lots of Nintendo employees who also happen to be uncles, if you think about it

especially mine, who works at Nintendo,

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Narcissus1916 posted:

I work in electoral politics so I'm about to be unemployed in a few months - and my goal is to mainline the Mario series all the way through!

Just started Mario 3 and its astonishing how much of a quantum leap it is ahead of the first game. I mean that in the kindest, best way possible too. In years past I've preferred Mario World, but good lord is this better than i remember.

I've been doing this too and it's been fun. 3D Land is really good. Sunshine has definitely grown on me but I still have Issues With It. Lost Levels is trash

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
They're just going to put the mario games on the eshop separately after the 3DAS era. And galaxy 2.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Don't uncle shame.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Don't, Uncle Shame!

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Id buy ports or remakes of the advanced wars series, when nintendo when?

Also Nintendo in general would get more money out of me if they dropped the prices on their games once in a while. Several games id drop up to $30 bucks on that are hard passes at $60.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's not in its original NES format, it has turn undo and bookmarks

Man, rewind and save states in an emulator, how has nobody else thought of those features before

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Numlock posted:

Also Nintendo in general would get more money out of me if they dropped the prices on their games once in a while. Several games id drop up to $30 bucks on that are hard passes at $60.

This is true but they also hold their value very well so its not a stretch to buy them, finish them and then sell them on at a minimal loss

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm torn about FE1.

I beat and enjoyed the DS version enough to not want to play it again. I don't see why I would bother getting it on Switch despite the bells and whistles.

It's a real dumb practice though and I'd wish they'd stop with limited releases.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Gotta love the 70's-basketball-shorts-length coverage of that tunic

hope we keep seeing more neato old localizations like this

...although on the other hand I'm positive this has a fan translation already

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:siren: PRO CONTROLLER IS $59 "in cart" on Amazon (US)

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Narcissus1916 posted:

I still have my WiiU hooked up solely because I have a ton of virtual console titles from the Wii/WiiU loaded Tekken Tag Tournament 2. I'd sgladly totally buy them again on the Switch solely for the rewind function, TBH.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Numlock posted:

I really gotta get back into Wargroove after I'm done with Mariopalooza.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Mechstermination Force is down to the price of an ice cream cone today, finally time to give it a try.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Poque posted:

I really gotta get back into Wargroove after I'm done with Mariopalooza.

It's really not very good. Does it deserve that?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
"get back into Wargroove" is such a weird statement because the game is great for like the first 2-3 hours and then it's just a miserable samey slog.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Wargroove is great if there's enough of a multiplayer community.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I really wish the rest of Wargroove was as good as it's pixel art

Also apparently Chucklefish sucks poo poo and you shouldn't give them money if you can avoid it

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Numlock posted:

They do drop most of their first party games to $40 at retail/digital for a rare and short sale. They've been better about it with the Switch than they have been with past eShop-enabled consoles. I wait for this sale for most Nintendo game purchases. You'll probably see some at $30 for Black Friday, but maybe not the one(s) you want.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Oh does Wargroove get bad? That sucks. I played a few hours and liked it but then got distracted by some other shiny new thing.

If it's anything like the last 25% or so of Advance Wars: Days Of Ruin where it was so tedious that I just used a step-by-step guide to get through it, I won't bother.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Wargrooves fine, if you like Advance Wars.

As to Chucklefish being poo poo, In short they got volunteers to work on a bunch of Starbound, unpaid, through some weird shenanigans and at least a few of said volunteers came out as being very unhappy with this and described the whole experience as very exploitative.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/9/2/20839830/starbound-developers-chucklefish-game-industry-exploitation

The above gets really into it.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 22, 2020

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Good thing I checked the thread, was considering buying wargrove bit if the company behind is a bunch of shits ill pass.

enojy posted:

They do drop most of their first party games to $40 at retail/digital for a rare and short sale. They've been better about it with the Switch than they have been with past eShop-enabled consoles. I wait for this sale for most Nintendo game purchases. You'll probably see some at $30 for Black Friday, but maybe not the one(s) you want.

The reason I mentioned $30 is that is the price i would be willing to buy multiple copies if it was a mtiplayer game. Both my wife and brother have switches, and they are the main people I play games with at this point.

But yeah I've seen them go at $40, just not the ones I want.

Unrelated, but which is the better buy? Mario Maker 2 or Mario U deluxe?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Numlock posted:

Unrelated, but which is the better buy? Mario Maker 2 or Mario U deluxe?

Mario Maker 2. It has a really good campaign and pretty much infinite replayability even if you don’t make your own levels. NSMBU Deluxe is actually quite good but doesn’t come close

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Agreed that Mario Maker 2 is excellent. You can entirely ignore the user created material (although you shouldn't!) and get your money's worth with an excellent and large set of Nintendo-designed levels.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
If you're going to want to fiddle with actual Maker part then I'd say Mario Maker, but I think that if you never played them on Wii U you'll get a better, more consistent set of levels to actually play in NSMBUDX between the base NSMBU and Luigi expansion.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I have what should be a simple question—how do you invite a friend to play animal crossing with you?

My wife plays Animal Crossing. A mutual friend just bought Animal Crossing. I sent our friend my wife’s friend code from her switch profile over text. Our friend sent my wife a friend request by ‘searching with Friend Code’. My wife accepted the request.

They are friends on their switch accounts. We can see when she is online through her switch profile and we can see that she is playing Animal Crossing. When My wife opens the friend app in the Nook Phone...all other internet friends she’s met while playing show up on her friends list to play with...but not our mutual friend.

TLDR: They’re friends on the switch, both playing animal crossing, but my wife can’t see her on the Animal Crossing friend’s list to invite her to play. What are we missing?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Go to the airport.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

To expand on that short, lovely response - you need to be friends in game as well. Go to the airport and say you want visitors, then open it so anyone can come over with the dodo code, then give that dodo code to your friend and they can come visit. While there, you should be able to send a friend request to the person in-game through the nook app, and then after they are on your list you can add them as best friends.

eta: here's a link to Polygon where they go over it in more detail:

https://www.polygon.com/animal-cros...lle-mutliplayer

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

To expand on that short, lovely response - you need to be friends in game as well. Go to the airport and say you want visitors, then open it so anyone can come over with the dodo code, then give that dodo code to your friend and they can come visit. While there, you should be able to send a friend request to the person in-game through the nook app, and then after they are on your list you can add them as best friends.

eta: here's a link to Polygon where they go over it in more detail:

https://www.polygon.com/animal-cros...lle-mutliplayer

Thank you, that’s very helpful.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You don't need to do the dodo code thing btw. Just open your gate and if you're Switch friends they can come over, and you don't have to send a friend request, it automatically adds them as soon as you see them in the game. Short but not incorrect posts ftw.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
So I ended up buying Spongebob Reydrated on sale and its a fun enough colectathon platformer. Not thrilled with the still unpatched glitch that just locked me out of 100% though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons

EB Games has the Fire Emblem 30th Anniversary Edition up for preorder for $90AUD if anyone wants it.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ausgoons

EB Games has the Fire Emblem 30th Anniversary Edition up for preorder for $90AUD if anyone wants it.

The art book would wanna be nice to sell a download code of a NES game for that many dollarydoos

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Tubgoat posted:

Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Dammit I should have kept my old consoles. No Tekken on Switch is so sad.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Homora Gaykemi posted:

The art book would wanna be nice to sell a download code of a NES game for that many dollarydoos
you could resell if for tripe a few years down the line i bet

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
My pins shipped :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i had not played mario galaxy until shortly after its release and i'm partway through the luigi playthrough now. it's a great game, but man galaxy 2 was just so much better. also the spring mushroom is just, like, why.

on the other hand space junk galaxy is an extremely top-tier mario level.