Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Halloween Jack posted:

I really think Atomic Blonde is being unfairly ignored here, even if it's not a straight action flick. (Not that it's in the same subgenre as Fury Road or anything.)

I actually watched that recently for the first time, it was pretty dang good and proves that yet again, Charlize Theron is a loving bad bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I actually watched that recently for the first time, it was pretty dang good and proves that yet again, Charlize Theron is a loving bad bitch.

I was trying to think of who else can even compete and realize I should have included edge of tomorrow in my list of big budget american action. I think it's hugely overlooked and that best 50 list from a while back could have just put it in place of winter soldier

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I enjoyed it even more when I rewatched it because you can see the plot unfold and realize that the entire movie is basically Lorraine going around Berlin covering her tracks because she knows the list would expose her identity.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Dredd is up there for me.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Dredd is up there for me.

I was gonna say that too, but GoodluckJonathan was talking about the last five years so there was the chance they’d already seen it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I really think Atomic Blonde is being unfairly ignored here, even if it's not a straight action flick. (Not that it's in the same subgenre as Fury Road or anything.)

I guess that was sort of my point. Atomic Blonde is really loving cool, with a great aesthetic, a great soundtrack and at least one genuine stand out action scene. But there's a few little things that separate it from the modern classics we're discussing. I forgot about Extraction, Wolf Warrior 2, Operation Red Sea, Batman V Superman and Aquaman, all of which are really loving good action movies, but you need to whittle things down a little.

Even if you're talking someone with a stronger body of work than basically any other individual in the genre like Jackie Chan, you'd still recommend Wheels on Meals over Thunderbolt, or Drunken Master 2 over Mr Nice Guy.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

I was trying to think of who else can even compete and realize I should have included edge of tomorrow in my list of big budget american action. I think it's hugely overlooked and that best 50 list from a while back could have just put it in place of winter soldier

Yeah for some reason Edge got absolutely panned but I was intrigued by the concept so sat down and thoroughly enjoyed it. The scene where Tom is learning the sequence and just dying so often it actually becomes comedy was just a really cool little bit of light entertainment until you see it start to actually affect him and you start to feel bad for him. Kinda goes a bit squiffy at the end but everything else leading up to that was genuinely solid. I'll definitely defend that one.

Basebf555 posted:

I enjoyed it even more when I rewatched it because you can see the plot unfold and realize that the entire movie is basically Lorraine going around Berlin covering her tracks because she knows the list would expose her identity.

Time to rewatch I guess! I did get that vibe initially but now I need it all laid out before knowing eyes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Heavy Metal posted:

That is a challenge. If we're counting punching sports action, Rocky Balboa is a great comeback movie. Stronger than his work on some flicks like Rocky 5 (not too tough to top).

Toxic Avenger 4 is stronger than 3, that's a while later. Bit of a genre blend there.

And of course, Lloyd Kaufman played a drunk in the first Rocky and helped behind the scenes.

I watched Toxic Avenger for the first time at an outdoor theater.

The movie loving rocks. Bizarre, hilarious, weirdly uplifting. No fat, just fun things happening every scene. And it ends before it gets old.

First Troma movie i watched from beginning to end. Then Kabukiman came on, too long imo, fell asleep in parts.

Any other Troma flicks as tight as Toxic 1?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I haven't looked into the new live TV stuff that ships with PLEX, but this tweet today piqued me

https://twitter.com/plex/status/1319328109875769346?s=20

if anyone wants to take a look / have a try of the 30-day trial; Might be some gold nuggets to sift out :o:

https://www.hiyahtv.com/

(It's not just a PLEX channel, you can watch on bunch of different platforms)

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

NoneMoreNegative posted:

if anyone wants to take a look / have a try of the 30-day trial; Might be some gold nuggets to sift out :o:

https://www.hiyahtv.com/

Looks like they have a bunch of good Korean thrillers, if you're not up to date on those it's probably worth the trial just for that.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

dokmo posted:

Looks like they have a bunch of good Korean thrillers, if you're not up to date on those it's probably worth the trial just for that.

Any worth watching in particular?

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

I really like Edge of Tomorrow. I think the only problem i have with it is near the end when he kisses the girl. It felt pretty forced, but it wasn't terrible, and I had to stretch to think of something I didn't like about the movie, because it's really good.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Narzack posted:

I really like Edge of Tomorrow. I think the only problem i have with it is near the end when he kisses the girl. It felt pretty forced, but it wasn't terrible, and I had to stretch to think of something I didn't like about the movie, because it's really good.

funny that you say that since it was improvised by the actress

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Just watched Seized cause I love Scott Adkins. Definitely recommend it and had some sweet fight scenes. My only complaint with his movies is he really just needs to spend a few days with a firearms instructor, I really don't need him to go full Keanu and I know I am being pretty pedantic but it's generally pretty clear he has no experience with guns. That being said the movie the movie rocks

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

B-Rock452 posted:

Just watched Seized cause I love Scott Adkins. Definitely recommend it and had some sweet fight scenes. My only complaint with his movies is he really just needs to spend a few days with a firearms instructor, I really don't need him to go full Keanu and I know I am being pretty pedantic but it's generally pretty clear he has no experience with guns. That being said the movie the movie rocks

Not having a go because it's a long way from my expertise, but what did he do to show that?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

Any worth watching in particular?

Definitely watch The Man From Nowhere, a classic with an extremely memorable gory knife fight. Other very good movies like War of the Arrows (historical action-thriller), The Suspect (very good Bourne-style thriller), The Villainess (drama-heavy with a good story and unbelievable action scenes). Other above-average stuff like Kundo (historical action), The Gangster The Cop The Devil (crime thriller), Rampant (historical monster movie). Plus a Ma Dong-seok movie about arm wrestling which looks nutty.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

Not having a go because it's a long way from my expertise, but what did he do to show that?

Honestly and again I know I am being pedantic but it's a lot of little stuff that kind of adds up. Oddly enough with Seized it kind of almost made sense since it was a little better in that some of his movements and techniques were being taught like 15 years ago which worked with his character in the movie. But stuff like him putting spare rifle mags on his strong side and how he moves with a pistol stand out. (He never goes to the sul position and is generally very stiff with it)

Again the movie rocks (and god I feel like a huge dork now)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

B-Rock452 posted:

Honestly and again I know I am being pedantic but it's a lot of little stuff that kind of adds up. Oddly enough with Seized it kind of almost made sense since it was a little better in that some of his movements and techniques were being taught like 15 years ago which worked with his character in the movie. But stuff like him putting spare rifle mags on his strong side and how he moves with a pistol stand out. (He never goes to the sul position and is generally very stiff with it)

Again the movie rocks (and god I feel like a huge dork now)

we're all dorks here, it's cool. I was just curious. The base standard on that stuff has gone up so much, though. I rewatched Rambo 2 and the bit where he just sort of wiggles the gun while firing, resulting in four kills is loving embarassing.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

we're all dorks here, it's cool. I was just curious. The base standard on that stuff has gone up so much, though. I rewatched Rambo 2 and the bit where he just sort of wiggles the gun while firing, resulting in four kills is loving embarassing.

Oh yeah the standard has definitely been raised over the years. Honestly I think it more stands out for me with Adkins because with his art of action series it's clear how much he cares and trains to make his action scenes kick rear end.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
Is seized streaming on any of the big sites? Or do I need to rent it?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Just coming back to post now I've finished Jean Claude Van Johnson which was pretty amazing for the first three episodes and then kind of dropped off but still better than most stuff out there.

'I don't know what kind of twisted game you're playing, Van Damme. I bring you here to make a movie. Instead, you blow up my factory and kill my men. You know what they told me? "Hollywood stars can be monsters. Don't employ them." Maybe I should have listened'.

Octy fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 23, 2020

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Snowman_McK posted:

The bit when he's in the helicopter and shouts someone dead is my favourite.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Watch the interview with Sam Hargrave if you want to see Scott Adkins totally geek out over a tiny bit of choreography from a short movie. He plays the same 5 second clip like a dozen times while saying "bloody brilliant!" over and over, it's adorable.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

dokmo posted:

Watch the interview with Sam Hargrave if you want to see Scott Adkins totally geek out over a tiny bit of choreography from a short movie. He plays the same 5 second clip like a dozen times while saying "bloody brilliant!" over and over, it's adorable.

The one thing I noticed about that clip though (annoyingly) is the second guy to get floored immediately gets up and runs behind the 3rd guy in order to get kicked in the face to end.

Definitely enjoying these episodes though, there's a lot of cute little interactions and mancrushes going on.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Payndz posted:

The 10' vertical leap Rambo does from being submerged to standing on the skid of the helicopter is my favorite.

I just read the novel First Blood this week. The movie actually followed the plot beats a lot more closely than I would have guessed before reading it. I had already listened to the First Blood commentary by David Morrel, the author, so I knew going into it some of the differences, but it's worth a read.

The novel is set in Kentucky in the summer rather than the Pacific Northwest in the winter, and Rambo is much more lethal. He basically kills all the cops except Teasel, and you are privy to his internal monologue on what's driving him to create the conflict. He knows he could just walk away but is compelled not to by his own experiences. COL Trautman is in it too, though he was the commander of the Army school Rambo went to rather than being Rambo's direct CO. He ends up being the only real winner in the story.

I appreciate the movie being more than a slavish 1:1 translation of the book. I've tried watching adaptations of other novels, and it's a little tiring when what's onscreen is just what's in the book. I mean, I've read the book, I don't really need to watch the exact scene played out, give me something different!

I really want to read the novelization to Rambo: First Blood, Part 2, which is also written by Morrel to see how they get around the ending to the first novel.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 24, 2020

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The one thing I noticed about that clip though (annoyingly) is the second guy to get floored immediately gets up and runs behind the 3rd guy in order to get kicked in the face to end.

I didn't notice that! Here is the short, it's pretty slick filmmaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElWz8oWQ8nc

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Stallone tells a funny story about First Blood(I think it was on Howard Stern?), where the first script was going to be like a 3 hour movie. Not only that, but Rambo had all this action hero dialogue where he was quipping and delivering one liners and Stallone basically said "ok I'll do the movie, but only if you cut out almost all of my dialogue".

Stallone used to have really strong creative ideas but eventually he just got lazy.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Stallone still seems pretty canny he just really prioritized making money for a while

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Basebf555 posted:

Stallone tells a funny story about First Blood(I think it was on Howard Stern?), where the first script was going to be like a 3 hour movie. Not only that, but Rambo had all this action hero dialogue where he was quipping and delivering one liners and Stallone basically said "ok I'll do the movie, but only if you cut out almost all of my dialogue".

Stallone used to have really strong creative ideas but eventually he just got lazy.

This makes sense. In the book Rambo is a real smart rear end who can't keep his mouth shut. The Sheriff also drops him off out of town twice so it reinforces how much Rambo is determined to make a confrontation happen.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

PeterCat posted:

The 10' vertical leap Rambo does from being submerged to standing on the skid of the helicopter is my favorite.

I just read the novel First Blood this week. The movie actually followed the plot beats a lot more closely than I would have guessed before reading it. I had already listened to the First Blood commentary by John Morrel, the author, so I knew going into it some of the differences, but it's worth a read.
I know Morrell (David, not John) - he's given me some invaluable advice and encouragement on dealing with Hollywood (basically, yes, they will try to gently caress you over at every turn even after a deal is signed, so be ready for it) - and he hated what Stallone did with Last Blood.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

funny that you say that since it was improvised by the actress

Wow. I did not know that.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

dokmo posted:

I didn't notice that! Here is the short, it's pretty slick filmmaking.

I only noticed because the guy just seems to appear from nowhere so I paid attention on the multiple playbacks. I obviously wouldn't be able to be sure of it if it was just playing through once though so I guess no problem.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Payndz posted:

Or when he has the genius plan to pretend to be asleep before pulling out his rocket launcher. Rambo II is essentially the movie that Commando logically should be parodying, but the timeline makes it impossible.

It's genuinely weird that Berkoff looks better than Stallone does these days.

Payndz posted:

I know Morrell (David, not John) - he's given me some invaluable advice and encouragement on dealing with Hollywood (basically, yes, they will try to gently caress you over at every turn even after a deal is signed, so be ready for it) - and he hated what Stallone did with Last Blood.

He refused to do any press or endorse Last Blood in any way, and lambasted. It's not surprising. Last Blood is just so loving mean spirited and poorly structured and paced and written. It's a shame since 'Rambo confronts the drug war' is such a rich premise. I'm sorry, I've probably brought it up before but I'm still just so annoyed at it.

Also, semi related news: Rambo is a DLC MK character now and they released a video showing off his fatality, and it's still not as bonkers as what Rambo does to the main bad guy in Last Blood (whatever the gently caress his name was. the movie doesn't care so neither will I)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE1DF3KR4Yk

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Payndz posted:

Sorry, I obviously conflated the author and the character there.

I still haven't seen Last Blood. RAMBO was such a good ending for the character, he really didn't need a further adventures of.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
Ninja is the most ridiculous poo poo and I love every second of it.

Is the sequel worth a watch?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

jase1 posted:

You're in for a treat: the sequel is much better.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Snowman_McK posted:

Also, semi related news: Rambo is a DLC MK character now and they released a video showing off his fatality, and it's still not as bonkers as what Rambo does to the main bad guy in Last Blood (whatever the gently caress his name was. the movie doesn't care so neither will I)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE1DF3KR4Yk
The disconnect between the ever-increasing realism of the graphics and the hyperactive cartooniness of the actual fighting gameplay, which doesn't look to have changed since the days of the Sega Mega Drive, has got ridiculous.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

jase1 posted:

Ninja 2 is amazing. It is a way better than the first one.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

PeterCat posted:

Sorry, I obviously conflated the author and the character there.

I still haven't seen Last Blood. RAMBO was such a good ending for the character, he really didn't need a further adventures of.

I don't hate Last Blood, but, yeah, you're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
Rambo IV was the less good version of Rocky Balboa but still satisfying. Stallone taking characters that were a joke and giving them a dignified send off. And with the Creed movies even moving them forward in a good way.

And then he made Last Blood. gently caress that movie, Rambo finally made it home to his parents farm and that's it.