Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mikl posted:

Honest question, what would be the difference between halal and kosher in this case? I know there's small differences between the two, but in the case of a fermented product like Marmite/Vegemite, what are those?

Nothing here, but you’re hitting on a good point with fermentation.

Alcoholic beverages can be kosher but are never halal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Basically any food that has no prohibited animal-based ingredients (pork, blood, most land predators, not killed according to procedure etc), no poison/venom, and no mind-altering substances (alcohol, THC and so on) can be certified halal. There's also a thing called "tayyiban" which is basically basic food handling safety and cleanliness, but most countries in the world already have laws about that regardless of religion. Halal is probably more lenient than kosher because the whole thing about dairy is absent. Many Muslims also accept kosher food as halal because the method of killing animals for both are usually similar and they invoke the same God anyway when doing it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This discussion of kosher/halal Vegemite has made me realize that you could make a Halal Snack Pack with Vegemite added.

I'll excuse myself whilst you all clean up the vomit.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Memento posted:

Prior to 2010 that was true, but the whole thing has been kosher for a decade now. I just checked my pantry and both the jar that's nearly empty and the one that is yet to be opened have a K in the use-by date, as does the several-year-old tube of Camping Vegemite.

You know, you don't need to buy the 220g/8oz size, the 150g/5oz size is plenty for most households. Admittedly, you're going to have to buy a new jar every couple of major elections instead of making it last the decade but I feel the lid gets a bit dodgy after the first few years anyway.

The other option is to buy the 2.5kg size and pass it on to your children, but I feel the risk of a late night chunder ending up in the tub is a bit higher under those circs.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Lol at any arbitrary rule that keeps me from loving shoving anything remotely edible into my voracious gaping maw

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

oldpainless posted:

Lol at any arbitrary rule that keeps me from loving shoving anything remotely edible into my voracious gaping maw

They're talking about vegemite though

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

steinrokkan posted:

Does anyone really measure salt up to a minute amout? Salt really is something that is up to one's preference, and the old adage of "add salt to taste" applies.

You can't do that with baking though, if you start with the wrong amount you're usually screwed.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sir Lemming posted:

You can't do that with baking though, if you start with the wrong amount you're usually screwed.

That, and people who need to manage their sodium intake due to a heart condition/hypertension.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Unless you mess up on the level of throwing in heaping cups of salt into your bread attempt (and then eating all of it anyway), using a little more or less salt in a recipe isn't going to ruin it or kill you.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Schubalts posted:

Unless you mess up on the level of throwing in heaping cups of salt into your bread attempt (and then eating all of it anyway), using a little more or less salt in a recipe isn't going to ruin it or kill you.

It's not a little more or a little less, koshering salt is 30-50% less salt when measured by volume. If you use table salt in a bread recipe what calls for koshering salt and you don't adjust the measurements you will kill your yeast prematurely and end up with sad, deflated bread.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Plastik posted:

It's not a little more or a little less, koshering salt is 30-50% less salt when measured by volume. If you use table salt in a bread recipe what calls for koshering salt and you don't adjust the measurements you will kill your yeast prematurely and end up with sad, deflated bread.

This is why baking recipes usually call out weights, not volumes: the actual amounts of stuff you're putting in are far more important for baking than for regular cooking.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Cooking is an art, baking is a science.

I don't bake.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Phanatic posted:

This is why baking recipes usually call out weights, not volumes: the actual amounts of stuff you're putting in are far more important for baking than for regular cooking.

The only time I've ever seen a recipe use weight instead of volume is when I grabbed a British one online. Otherwise all recipes I've ever seen (US) use volume exclusively.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Baking is for chumps that like to follow the rules. Cooking is for trailblazers unafraid to pair chicken and cinnamon.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Silver Falcon posted:

The only time I've ever seen a recipe use weight instead of volume is when I grabbed a British one online. Otherwise all recipes I've ever seen (US) use volume exclusively.

US recipes are really weird. "Cups" of this and that. Intentionally obtuse.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

sassassin posted:

Cups, tablespoons, teaspoons, gallons, quarts (Christ forbid anyone say quarter gallon), pints, plus fractions thereof (but again, we can't say quarter gallon), it's an insane measuring system and if we could switch to weights the world would be better off.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Plastik posted:

The difference between, for example, 1 teaspoon and 1+1/2 a teaspoon of a salt is not going to result in flat bread unless your yeast was dead to begin with. The difference between the salts is completely ignorable when baking until you move up from measuring spoons to measuring cups.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sassassin posted:

It's not ideal but it's not obtuse at all

Those are just standardized measurements you aren't familiar with

Yes it can get hosed up by idiots compressing dry ingredients, we know

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Flour has the same issue as salt due to some people not knowing to sift your flour when measuring.

edit: Like Bloop above me said! Teach me to leave the tab open.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Silver Falcon posted:

I've never seen a serious book of bread recipes use volume. Typically they'll use actual weights, or a baker's percentage, because that poo poo's important. You might see a recipe that says:

Flour: 100%
Water: 73%
Salt: 2%
Yeast: 1%

Which lets you scale things however you want. If you use 500 grams of flour, then you add 365 grams water, 10 grams salt, 5 grams yeast.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

So theoretically I could make the tiniest possible loaf by starting with one grain of yeast and scaling from there :science:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Measuring ingredients by weight has been so helpful, once I got over the initial hurdle of having to convert my favorite recipes. It's ultimately so much easier. Tare the bowl, pour stuff in, remove some if you overshot, repeat as needed. None of that awkwardness of needing 5 different measuring cups and trying to properly level them off over the open bag without spilling flour all over the place.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Lemming posted:

Measuring ingredients by weight has been so helpful, once I got over the initial hurdle of having to convert my favorite recipes. It's ultimately so much easier. Tare the bowl, pour stuff in, remove some if you overshot, repeat as needed. None of that awkwardness of needing 5 different measuring cups and trying to properly level them off over the open bag without spilling flour all over the place.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I once had to bake bread using volume instead of weight and my entire kitchen caught fire and the bread became sentient and started attacking the neighborhood. It's a good thing I was using volume instead of weight though because now no one will be able to replicate my results.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Phanatic posted:

I've never seen a serious book of bread recipes use volume. Typically they'll use actual weights, or a baker's percentage, because that poo poo's important. You might see a recipe that says:

Flour: 100%
Water: 73%
Salt: 2%
Yeast: 1%

Which lets you scale things however you want. If you use 500 grams of flour, then you add 365 grams water, 10 grams salt, 5 grams yeast.

Oh well that's different. You just said baking, not bread specifically. I've never tried baking bread. :shrug:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Basically any food that has no prohibited animal-based ingredients (pork, blood, most land predators, not killed according to procedure etc), no poison/venom, and no mind-altering substances (alcohol, THC and so on) can be certified halal. There's also a thing called "tayyiban" which is basically basic food handling safety and cleanliness, but most countries in the world already have laws about that regardless of religion. Halal is probably more lenient than kosher because the whole thing about dairy is absent. Many Muslims also accept kosher food as halal because the method of killing animals for both are usually similar and they invoke the same God anyway when doing it.

what kind of foods did anicent jews even encounter that had poison/venom, like i only know about japanese fugu and i'm pretty sur ethose groups didnt meet

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

what kind of foods did anicent jews even encounter that had poison/venom, like i only know about japanese fugu and i'm pretty sur ethose groups didnt meet

Basically a bunch of bugs and snakes.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Asps?

E. Whoops, forgot to refresh

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

1redflag posted:

Asps?

E. Whoops, forgot to refresh

Yeah, I eat asp.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Got emailed about shaquille o neals new chair line at office depot.

SHAQ COMFORT

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

thepopmonster posted:

You know, you don't need to buy the 220g/8oz size, the 150g/5oz size is plenty for most households. Admittedly, you're going to have to buy a new jar every couple of major elections instead of making it last the decade but I feel the lid gets a bit dodgy after the first few years anyway.

The other option is to buy the 2.5kg size and pass it on to your children, but I feel the risk of a late night chunder ending up in the tub is a bit higher under those circs.

I buy the 560g jar of Vegemite and go through about three of them a year by myself :ohdear: Maybe I should upgrade to the catering-sized plastic bucket next time I go to the shops.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Cage posted:

SHAQ COMFORT

Please tell me there is a tortured acronym

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Cage posted:

SHAQ COMFORT

SHAQUOMFORT

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The MSJ posted:

Many Muslims also accept kosher food as halal because the method of killing animals for both are usually similar and they invoke the same God anyway when doing it.

This was also because until recently in many parts of the west it was much easier to find kosher-certified foodstuffs than halal.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Cage posted:

SHAQ COMFORT
It means it's for fat people

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Nitrox posted:

Shaq is a huge dude. If he's actually set in one of these for 8+ hours at a time and thinks they're comfortable that's a solid endorsement for us fatties.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it makes total sense for me for Shaq to endorse furniture for big guys. Man's house probably has everything custom-made.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
He's huge! That must mean he has huge chairs!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh well that's different. You just said baking, not bread specifically. I've never tried baking bread. :shrug:

Oh, yeah, bread is a lot more precise than, say, cakes or cookies.

I think the average person can make perfectly fine cake, cookies, brownies, etc... by just volumetric measurements. If you have like 10-15% more or less flour or whatever than the recipe calls for, it ultimtely won't affect it that much.

But bread? drat, man, yeast is picky, and gluten formation (or lack thereof for certain bread varieties,) is critical and can be affected by so many things.

Hot, humid, day? Your flour will weigh more from absorbing water from the air, so take that into account and use and less water, and your yeast will rise faster, too (if you just have it rise on a counter, most pro or expert home cooks use a proofing drawer or just an oven set real low, like 100 F or what have you)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Nitrox posted:

It means the cushion is shaped exactly like shaquille o neals buttocks, you fool you idiot.