Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

this might be more of an amp thread question but does anyone use a torpedo m+? i’m thinking about switching my setup to that and a line 6 powercab but i wanted to know if anyone had any success using that as an all in one preamp/speaker modeling solution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

This is the coolest delay I've ever played. Someone should buy it for $100 off. I don't have any money or I would and I don't know who this person is who is selling it.

https://reverb.com/item/36101384-eventide-rose-digital-delay-2019
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/eventide-rose

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Alright, I have a metro 24 board but I'm preparing to not play music with other people for another year so I'm thinking of getting a "Kitchen Sink" board. I really like the 24" width, whaddyall rec from pedaltrain?

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
I really like the metro 24, got it just when the pandemic started. I've used it about equally in the bedroom and on what few gigs have occurred, it's great for both.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

I just bought a new power supply for my pedals and I'm getting some... strange feedback.

The Players:

Power supply: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GTRPWR8--gator-gtr-pwr-8-pedal-board-power-supply

I'm plugging the pedals into the 9V 250ma slots which is what both of them are rated for

Pedal 1: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/3MRPlasmaCoil--gamechanger-audio-third-man-records-plasma-coil-high-voltage-distortion-octave-pedal

Pedal 2: https://coppersoundpedals.com/product/triplegraph/

Here is a video of how long I could stomach watching it https://imgur.com/Ax0pPjp

The power supply is the only new component here but I did recently move to a new house so I'm not sure if that has some effect on it as well. Willing to listen to any and all suggestions. Thanks

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Ybrik posted:

I just bought a new power supply for my pedals and I'm getting some... strange feedback.

The Players:

Power supply: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GTRPWR8--gator-gtr-pwr-8-pedal-board-power-supply

I'm plugging the pedals into the 9V 250ma slots which is what both of them are rated for

Pedal 1: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/3MRPlasmaCoil--gamechanger-audio-third-man-records-plasma-coil-high-voltage-distortion-octave-pedal

Pedal 2: https://coppersoundpedals.com/product/triplegraph/

Here is a video of how long I could stomach watching it https://imgur.com/Ax0pPjp

The power supply is the only new component here but I did recently move to a new house so I'm not sure if that has some effect on it as well. Willing to listen to any and all suggestions. Thanks

What happens if you power them on their own without the power supply, or remove one pedal from the chain.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

I've had them plugged into separate adapters before with no issues and the current problem doesn't happen until they've been plugged in a minute or two. I have not tried them individually on the new power supply as that kinda defeats the purpose of me buying it.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Ybrik posted:

I've had them plugged into separate adapters before with no issues and the current problem doesn't happen until they've been plugged in a minute or two. I have not tried them individually on the new power supply as that kinda defeats the purpose of me buying it.

Sure but isolating the problem is important so you know how to fix it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

If they require 250ma then operating from a port at its limit may be the issue.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
i recently stumbled upon the Joyo Taichi while researching OD pedals. sounds stupidly good to my ear. anybody have experience with one, or similar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDFAH2KI9LE

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

beer gas canister posted:

i recently stumbled upon the Joyo Taichi while researching OD pedals. sounds stupidly good to my ear. anybody have experience with one, or similar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDFAH2KI9LE

i own one. it’s rad as gently caress!

i mostly use mine with two solid state heads (a quilter and a boss katana) and it works well for transparent rasp and for goosing it up with compressed smooth tones. build quality is good, pedal is quiet, switch feels good (as it has on pretty much every joyo that wasn’t the honey baby). anything specific you want to know?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I'll be playing it thru a 00s Peavey Bandit, so I'm curious how it sounds thru an SS setup. The Bandit will compress and break up very mildly like a tube amp but it doesn't overdrive much, so I'd have to rely on the Taichi for most of the OD tone. I'm drawn the clarity, especially with chords, the absence of mid honk like a TS, and the distinctive voicing. Does it cut well in a mix? Honestly I'd like to hear whatever comments you have about it.

Also, would it play well with a multi FX? I think it'd be cool to boost an SD-1 or a Rat modeled by my GT-1, but I have no idea how analog pedals mesh with something like that.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

That JOYO Taichi just went 20% off on Amazon for Black Friday, if you hadn't already pulled the trigger.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

kidfresca posted:

That JOYO Taichi just went 20% off on Amazon for Black Friday, if you hadn't already pulled the trigger.

I saw this post and went to amazon see what was on sale. Now I have a Hotone Omni cab sim ir loader thing on its way. I’ve been looking at getting an cab sim box for awhile and this one had all the essentials I wanted and is 89 bucks so I couldn’t pass it up.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ha I just figured out now that Joyo Tai Chi = Hermida Zen Drive. Get it guys?

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Krustic posted:

I saw this post and went to amazon see what was on sale. Now I have a Hotone Omni cab sim ir loader thing on its way. I’ve been looking at getting an cab sim box for awhile and this one had all the essentials I wanted and is 89 bucks so I couldn’t pass it up.

A few weeks ago I was in the market for a similar device at a similar $200 MSRP price point, just waiting for the JOYO, Hotone, or Mooer to go on deep enough discount. I ended up talking myself into spending upwards on a Two Notes C.A.B. M when I was able to combine two discounts to bring it down close enough to the starting point of the others. If I had not done so, I would be all over the Hotone for $89 today. That's a great price. I'd have an extra $130 in my pocket to blow on something else today/tomorrow had I waited. :toot:

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

kidfresca posted:

A few weeks ago I was in the market for a similar device at a similar $200 MSRP price point, just waiting for the JOYO, Hotone, or Mooer to go on deep enough discount. I ended up talking myself into spending upwards on a Two Notes C.A.B. M when I was able to combine two discounts to bring it down close enough to the starting point of the others. If I had not done so, I would be all over the Hotone for $89 today. That's a great price. I'd have an extra $130 in my pocket to blow on something else today/tomorrow had I waited. :toot:

Oh yeah, I was looking hard at the two notes as well. It’s probably the best one under 300 and I believe it has power amp modeling as well. It will probably be worth it. I probably would’ve got one if the hotone didn’t go on sale. I plan on using the hotone with my darkglass b7k and the line out of my Supro blues king. Hopefully it will be better than plugging them straight into a pa or audio interface.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Ha I just figured out now that Joyo Tai Chi = Hermida Zen Drive. Get it guys?

Is that what it's a clone of? I have so many overdrive pedals now but it does sound nice and I'm tempted. Love the other Joyo pedals I have

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
The Zen and Taichi are apparently based on Dumble amp overdrive characteristics

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 27, 2020

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Zen and Taichi are apparently based Dumble amp overdrive characteristics
I’m pretty sure it is given the knob layout, description, sound and cheeky pun.

I feel like it’s more accurate to say these pedals ape the overall sonic curve of a Dumble rather than truly go for an actual Dumble preamp circuit (I think only a couple pedals have actually done this). The circuit itself is far too simple to resemble any Dumble DNA. It’s a modified Tube Screamer-esque design. Also it is very cool. I think it compares nicely to a Timmy.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

it’s a pretty close clone of the zendrive so if you like that you’ll like the tai chi; i wouldn’t stress about the specific dumble sound

it does work well with solid state amps and it cuts through a mix just fine. i tend to back off the gain a lot because it tends to get more and more compressed as you crank it but it can get pretty dark (but it’s very smooth and sounds good)

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
thanks for the info, i placed an order for one today. i'll report back once i've got my hands on it.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
spent a bit of time messing with the Taichi. i agree that it is rad as hell. tone is transparent, as expected, and plays very well with my super strat pickups. the maximum gain and tone settings are hotter than anticipated. the compression is absolutely awesome for leads. it's the first OD pedal i've handled that seems to have useable settings with the dials turned all the way up or down, even with the tone knob wide open.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I wonder if they used the “fancy” AD712 or Burr-Brown OPA op-amp chip the regular Zendrives use. If you happen to have the back off the pedal and feel like taking gutshots I’m kinda curious. It’s like a difference of spending $0.72 for a TL072 versus $3 for a OPA2134 and subbing one out for the other will actually make a difference that most people seem to like. YMMV but I am usually not an op-amp snob and definitely noticed a difference.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
I spotted some gut shots on another forum earlier while searching around. I'm possessed with absolutely no tech expertise so I can't help on that front. It doesn't take a battery so there's no easy way in.

With the gain turned to nearly 0 and the volume way up, the tone and voice knobs act like EQ dials with no dirt. Voice knob sounds to my noob ear like a band pass filter with a wide U shape - turned to counterclockwise, it leaves lows and very high freqs, turned right it actually boosts mids and adds total gain. I can run it into a practice amp like this and get a clean tone, but with a massively improved EQ curve. Good poo poo!

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 1, 2020

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I spotted some gut shots on another forum earlier while searching around. I'm possessed with absolutely no tech expertise so I can't help on that front. It doesn't take a battery so there's no easy way in.

With the gain turned to nearly 0 and the volume way up, the tone and voice knobs act like EQ dials with no dirt. Voice knob sounds to my noob ear like a band pass filter with a wide U shape - turned to counterclockwise, it leaves lows and very high freqs, turned right it actually boosts mids and adds total gain. I can run it into a practice amp like this and get a clean tone, but with a massively improved EQ curve. Good poo poo!

The chip turns out to be a TI NE5532 which, from looking around, is apparently the consensus favorite of any of the ICs. Interestingly, the chip is socketed like the original pedal so you can swap it easily if you want. Sounds like you’re happy, though!

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Yeah, it sounds drat good to me as is. Granted, this is coming from someone that's only ever owned an OD-1 and Boss multi FX units.

Ran across this post that clarifies some things regarding the Zendrive: https://www.tdpri.com/threads/zendrive-what-is-this-pedals-ideal-setup.1019110/#post-9779240

11 Gauge from TDPRI posted:

Yep, they are literally wired up so that they utilize the transistor's internal 'body diode.' As is often the case when mosFETs are used as clipping diodes, these are wired in series with other diode types that have lower forward voltages. The ZD also uses germanium and Schottky diodes. The anti-parallel combo of the two series sets gives asymmetrical clipping (is [MOS + germ + schot] in series, anti-parallel with [MOS + schot] in series).

The voice control is actually the same type of circuit that adjusts the gain with a MXR D+ or DOD OD 250, just with a smaller range of actual gain adjustment. But yeah, it's important to highlight that it really is two in one - cuts bass and increases gain (is interactive). Something like a Timmy cuts the bass only at this equivalent part of the circuit, so some folks may prefer one or the other.

Actually, the tone control in the ZD is the same as the filter control in a Rat (variable low-pass filter), but only has a range that cuts about half the treble (cuts down to a cutoff freq. of ~960 Hz, while the Rat cuts down to a cutoff freq. of ~480 Hz). Also like the Rat, the ZD has an output buffer after the tone circuit, to keep the tone control from potentially having an effect on the next thing in the signal chain.

IMO, the ZD is kind of neat in how it combines elements of TS/SD-1/D+/250/Rat, with an overall very simple design, that really doesn't require odd or unobtainium components, to achieve its sonic characteristics.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

I picked up a stereo multi-delay pedal (Joyo D-Seed II) recently, and it dawned on me that a cool use-case for the stereo inputs would be to run a drum machine through it. Simple slapback or a pulsing, modulated sound for the drums to sit on top of both do wonders for adding character to a quarter century-old Alesis.

Now I'm thinking about things like separating sections of the kit by panning everything fully left or right on the drum machine, running each channel through separate effects, and then rejoining the two sections by putting each into separate mono inputs on the mixer. I could do things like flange crash/hat and overdrive snare/kick and then run both through the delay pedal. I think I remember something from a video suggesting the SR-16 drum machine can use all four outputs as independent channels simultaneously, so the possibilities could be even crazier.

This stuff is pure fun.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
I'm looking for a North America pedalboard company that does the 2 layer thing, where the top layer is hinged and you can lift it up, such that I can fit more pedals underneath that I don't need to tweak and that can be hooked up to a switcher. Like this:

Also preferably it's a board that you just set down, take off the top, hook up your cables be done. It's surprisingly annoying to have to constantly lift my board out of a case somewhere at a cramped club stage and then set the board in place.

The only one I've found is Pedal Pad, but they changed ownership recently and I haven't really found much info from them or about them. Any recs?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I’m not affiliated with this company and I don’t even know who they are but I randomly came across their stuff on Reverb and they make some really cool, affordable, unique pedals like some triple octave fuzzstortion with hm2 tonestack. Prices seem good.

https://reverb.com/shop/chriss-shop-64

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Fuzzstortion.

:kimchi: What a great word.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Is there a pedal out there that will add clean subsonic frequencies(like -2 octaves or something) to my bass sound in real time? And if so would it even do what I want?

I play with a pretty bright tone that really emphasizes the rattle and clang. I like that sound and the way it slices through the mix and I don’t really want the audible lows in there making things muddy but in my mind it would be cool if there was the brighter sound up top and then it was accompanied by just like a tight thump that’s not really audible, more of a physical sensation (in like a club setting or somewhere with a good PA and big subs).

From some preliminary searching it seems like most octave pedals are like fuzzy and maybe don’t track that well when playing fast? And then it seems like there are hardware and software “subharmonic synthesizers” that kind of do this exact kind of audio processing, but maybe not so real time? I read somewhere that that’s what’s going on when you hear a classic rock song in a movie and it really bumps in a way it doesn’t on the albums, the audio people run it through something like that before adding it to the soundtrack.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

All sub-octaves track like poo poo for the most part. It sounds like what you want is a graphic equalizer to boost 80-150Hz.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Graphic EQ or weirdly maybe one of those sonic maximizer pedals that are basically high and low exciters?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
The DOD meatbox is exactly what you're after, discontinued do you'll have to find one used though.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
I'm doing some wacky stuff in my signal chain and it's introducing a moderate amount of hiss. Naturally, I'd like to buy a new pedal to solve the problem rather than try to diagnose and fix the root cause. Is the Boss NS-2 the best choice for that? Any others that people would recommend?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Boss will get the job done.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I question if a sub octaver is really what you want. Since adding a new fundemental just kinda sounds like a muddy mess most of the time. What you need is a rig that has well tuned low end, I mean you’re not the first bass player in the world to want a bass sound that makes your chest go thunk, so if it isn’t doing that maybe time to try two amps or a new cab or an EQ or something.

The problem here is that what you’re basically asking for is: power. Which is what makes a bass sound that pounds hard. Trying to fake that with a pedal or something won’t work because it’s all dependant on the ability of the output system to make that happen loud (there’s already low frequency rumble on a bass, it’s just not audible without a system to make it so)

The simplest way to do that is to rock up with an awesome bass cab with multiple 18” cones and poo poo. But I don’t know how committed you are to the boom if you want to transport that.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 14, 2021

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Re: suboctave stuff

I have a Boss OC-3 which has -1 and -2 octave settings, and it tracks pretty well down to about a B/Bb on a bass guitar (7th fret E string/2nd fret A).

However, two octaves down sounds like poo poo. Its barely discernable as a note and doesn't sound anything like club music bass drums. Those drums live in the frequency range of a normal bass guitar, and only play on the quarter notes so the hits have some time to breath and develop. If you're playing fast that will have the opposite effect. You can help your tone some by boosting lows and probably more importantly low mids, but you're really going to have to rely on being in sync with your drummer because the bass drum is where the punch is going to come from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I always find octave pedals add a huge amount of mids that I need to scoop.

I guess as well its worth remembering the fundamental note on a low E is already only 40 cycles per second, give or take- the lower limit of human hearing is about 20hz so that's 1 octave down from E, 2 down is then 10 cycles per second. I used to enjoy putting my five string through a whammy set to 2 octaves down just to watch the speaker move as it was that slow!

To digress a little bit and waffle a out dance music, I agree with the poster above. there's a reason a whole lot of dnb/dubstep/"bass music" is normally in keys between F# and A#, because the sub notes in those registers are the ones that smack hardest on a big system due to the fundamentals- a little higher than a standard bass guitar.
IMHO if you got big enough speakers shoving the air then that will create the thumoy chest feeling more than a majority of other solutions