Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
What do people actually mean by a villain team up movie? Something like suicide squad? The heroes Vs a bunch of returning villains all at once? Or a villain centred movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Teek posted:

The Thunderbolts thing seems pretty likely, especially with one of the writers just recently saying they plan to bring back some secondary characters to rehab them.

https://www.slashfilm.com/falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-reinvents-early-mcu-characters

Hammer, Blonsky, Samuel Sterns, then throw in some later Phase people like the obvious Zemo.

Throw Batroc in there but he's gotta have the mustache

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

David D. Davidson posted:

Thw could finance an entire new film for that money.

They kind of are. 3 hours of unseen footage qualifies as a new movie, and with that they're getting brand recognition, an in built loyal fanbase that are clearly willing to spend money, and tons of free publicity. It's kind of a no brainer really.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Now I want to see the Joker rankings. Does it only rank modern day Jokers (ignoring Cesar Romero). Or is there someone worse than Leto?

Probably only modern Batman movies.

So he's at the bottom of the list of Ledger, Nicholson, Phoenix, and Leto.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Davros1 posted:

Now I want to see the Joker rankings. Does it only rank modern day Jokers (ignoring Cesar Romero). Or is there someone worse than Leto?
Well, Brent Spiner was kind of blah in Young Justice but he's not Leto bad.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Codependent Poster posted:

I will not stand for this Romero erasure! :argh:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Fangz posted:

What do people actually mean by a villain team up movie? Something like suicide squad? The heroes Vs a bunch of returning villains all at once? Or a villain centred movie?

Think folks are generally talking about the Hero team vs the Villain team like X-Men vs the Brotherhood, or Avengers vs the Masters of Evil or Dark Avengers.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Davros1 posted:

I will not stand for this Romero erasure! :argh:

I'm sorry, but 1966 is a bit past modern now.

Besides, everyone already knows Romero's the best.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

You forgot Zach Galifianakis.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Fangz posted:

You forgot Zach Galifianakis.

Live action only! Because otherwise Hamill would be there.

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008
Any Joker list that excludes Romero and Hamill is invalid and must be mocked without mercy. :colbert:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Tudyk is pretty good on Harley Quinn too.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I remember liking John DiMaggio’s Joker in Under the Red Hood, even though the rest of that movie is incredibly dull and uninteresting just like every Red Hood thing.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Real hot take, but there are no bad interpretations of superheroes, just different ones. They're all valid in their own way.

Except for Kevin Smiths batman pissing himself. That one is not valid.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Absolutely not.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I don't even hate Leto Joker (Leto himself is another story) but outside of maybe a couple forgettable voice overs he's just dead last on any real list.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Fangz posted:

The second one is what I usually mean. Basically the Avengers or JLA but like...it's bad guys instead.

For instance, Guardians of the Galaxy, featuring the fourth worst Chris, is not a "team-up movie" by my infallible logic. X-Men is not a team-up movie. They're just movies that feature teams.

I might be persuaded to consider some of the Batman and Spider-Man films villain team-ups because there were several prominent villains in them who join forces to annoy the hero, but that's stretching it a bit. Feels like that's just a piecemeal definition of having a rogue's gallery at all.

But to torture the tenuous definition even further, I would probably consider a Sinister Six film, when it ever happens, to be a proper villain team-up. Why?...I dunno, the scope of it is just bigger I guess.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 23, 2020

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Batman Returns has three villains teaming up in different ways. Batman Begins has 4 if you count Zsasz (he works for the Roman so he's technically on the team).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Vince MechMahon posted:

Batman Returns has three villains teaming up in different ways. Batman Begins has 4 if you count Zsasz (he works for the Roman so he's technically on the team).

Isn’t Zsasz in like literally one second of the movie?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Isn’t Zsasz in like literally one second of the movie?

He's in the court, the asylum, and riot.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

Zsasz was more like a cameo, really.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
He's a generic henchmen who also happens to have a comic book back story, he's an easter egg.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Would Egghead be the best Easter Egg?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Fangz posted:

I want two different things.

I want a Superheroes versus Supervillain movie where the bad guys just form together to take on Superheroes.
I want a "here is a portion of the film that is the Flash versus Mirror Master."

Separately I want a Thunderbolts film which is a "villain" centred movie.
Also if you are doing it, don't make it a Suicide Squad/Warren Ellis style rehabilitative prison team.
I want the whole "villains posing as heroes. Then looking at the complex questions about motive of doing good versus doing good acts and how that interfaces with rehabilitation."

Also speaking of Villain Centred movies, those Sony emails were saying that the execs were pushing hard for a Sinister Six film done as like an Avengers but with bad guys movie.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I guess I just think back to all the superhero movies ruined by trying to jam in too many villains (i.e. Spiderman 3) and wondering how that would work if you are doing that and also trying to jam in character development for a full superhero team at the same time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fangz posted:

I guess I just think back to all the superhero movies ruined by trying to jam in too many villains (i.e. Spiderman 3) and wondering how that would work if you are doing that and also trying to jam in character development for a full superhero team at the same time.

Spiderverse

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So what we need is a film about 5 carnages

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There was that one comic in the 90s that introduced the 5 symbiotes that were ‘Carnage’s children’

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Spiderverse

Well, only Kingpin and Doc Ock are really around in the end, and Ock doesn't do that much.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Fangz posted:

There's a good example of a successful movie about rival teams of people in colourful costumes engaged in choreographed competitions: Bring It On.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FlamingLiberal posted:

There was that one comic in the 90s that introduced the 5 symbiotes that were ‘Carnage’s children’

They were Venom's kids.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

Was that separation anxiety, or were they introduced before then? I mostly remember that arc for its godawful beat-em-up adaptation that was “the Maximum Carnage game but worse”.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was the end of Lethal Protector. Issue #5 if I recall.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Am I thinking of something else where Carnage gets experimented on

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

McCloud posted:

Real hot take, but there are no bad interpretations of superheroes, just different ones. They're all valid in their own way.

Bat-mite? Is that you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6UDEi8H43M

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I remember liking John DiMaggio’s Joker in Under the Red Hood, even though the rest of that movie is incredibly dull and uninteresting just like every Red Hood thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k-K89tZDuA

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Fangz posted:

I think the best way to handle a Thunderbolts film is to do a Suicide Squad-style villain redemption story. Have them infiltrate some rich Louisiana landowner's grounds to find Man-Thing, or something. Black ops stuff but with technicolour superheroes (so not very black ops).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

JordanKai posted:

I think the best way to handle a Thunderbolts film is to do a Suicide Squad-style villain redemption story. Have them infiltrate some rich Louisiana landowner's grounds to find Man-Thing, or something. Black ops stuff but with technicolour superheroes (so not very black ops).

You know my pet theory? That Falcon and Winter Soldier is already a backdoor Thunderbolts setup. We know Zemo, Batroc, Sharon Carter, and John Walker are involved. We suspect some Black Widow characters like Taskmaster, Yelena, or Red Guardian will be involved. It feels like the setup for Bucky and Sharon leading a SHIELD Thunderbolts/Suicide Squad with a bunch of villains of varying levels of redemption and a "hero" who is more of a villain in USAgent. You have Sharon and Bucky trying to redeem, Walker being a fascist dick, Zemo trying to undermine the whole thing. Add in some new characters like Moonstone and Songbird/Mimi. It would be fun to add in movie characters like Ghost and Vulture if you could. Add in Thunderbolt Ross as Walker's superior. But I think the skeleton is there for such an easy Thunderbolts "Season 2" that I wouldn't be surprised if the series turns out to already be that when it finally drops.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 23, 2020

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Oh my god I've been looking for a decent clip of that for aaaaages, thank you!

And not entirely unrelated, and not to retread the older topic of the Snyder cut, but I saw this tweet/article that explains bwhat I've been saying for a while now, that the Snyder cut and the HBO version are two very different things

https://twitter.com/smcolbert/status/1319642634701471744?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/collider/status/1319708629453385729?s=21

I know this version was supposed to be in that Ben Affleck Batman solo film that never happened