Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/FloPerfecto/status/1316955338965483520

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

I just realized that the next episode is going to air on the 22nd.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I hope they throw a curve ball in soon because for something that's supposed to be new and for people who already know the original material they're just retreading a lot of old ground so there's no tension or mystery yet. Although, maybe I think that because I just watched the complete original series over the summer.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Coxswain Balls posted:

I hope they throw a curve ball in soon because for something that's supposed to be new and for people who already know the original material they're just retreading a lot of old ground so there's no tension or mystery yet. Although, maybe I think that because I just watched the complete original series over the summer.
Take with a heap of salt since apparently the deeper details were on a paid segment of this Japanese-only livestream from yesterday, but apparently Ryukishi07 had wanted to hide the arc title for a longer time, but the rest of the anime staff pushed back against that so it got revealed by episode 2. Supposedly it'll really earn the Onidamashi title in the next episode; I'd guess from context that he probably only wanted to reveal the name after whatever major swerve might happen. (Though there's been plenty of small changes from Onikakushi already in the first three episodes, which I assume are on purpose here and not only the kind of thing that happens when editing a work for anime.)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm not sure how you could hide things for two more episodes after the way episode 2 opens

like the rest of the changes are small that one was way too big for that idea to make sense lol

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

The Colonel posted:

i'm not sure how you could hide things for two more episodes after the way episode 2 opens

like the rest of the changes are small that one was way too big for that idea to make sense lol
I assume bundled with the idea of hiding it longer is that the scene at the start of episode 2 wasn't his original idea. Just 3 going on 4 episodes of "everything seems like a remake" and then bam over the guardrail!

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JiToRdwVyw

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I, uh, don't think this is following the original chapter 1 script...

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
:stare: Oh man this episode, really interested to see where they're going with this now

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So what happened differently? (gonna jump in soon)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Grouchio posted:

So what happened differently? (gonna jump in soon)
Keiichi is calmed down by Rika at school. Then Rena comes over to his house and is... decidedly less calm.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

what if higurashi but backward

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
I was hoping for something wilder than The chapter mashup I expected, like a puzzled Rika surviving the month, maybe we'll get that in the next arc

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
It figures this was saved for episode four.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

drat was keiichi wearing kevlar or something

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Elephant Parade posted:

That or he keeps all his vitals in his legs.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Midjack posted:

That or he keeps all his vitals in his legs.

Forget that, how is he surviving with all the blood drained from his body?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Yak of Wrath posted:

I was hoping for something wilder than The chapter mashup I expected, like a puzzled Rika surviving the month, maybe we'll get that in the next arc

Given Rika's death, it does seem like she survived and didn't get killed by Takano, instead committing suicide (possibly killing Satoko? Satoko got injured trying to stop Rika? Killed herself after finding Rika dead?) after her friends started dying.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Elephant Parade posted:

He summoned a black hole to protect the places Rena was stabbing :v:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm so glad Keiichi learned from his mistakes and took Rika's advice to heart about trusting your friends, and so avoided another Onikakushi-hen ending.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Uh . . .

(Old Higurashi spoilers)
I can't say I expected Keiichi to be attacked first, and then to survive. Not that there's much good that could happen from there on in that timeline. I wonder when Rika was killed, though. It sounded like it could have been about the same time as, or maybe even after, Reina went nuts. It's been a while since I read/watched Higurashi, but that's not supposed to happen, is it? I thought her death was the catalyst for people succumbing to the virus.

I really can't wait to see where this goes.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I really hope Keiichi is still an unreliable narrator a la Onikakushi-hen because otherwise this arc just descended into flatout self-parody at the end.

Like I expect some amount of tonal dissonance from Higurashi but this had me straight up laughing at points.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kreeblah posted:

Uh . . .

(Old Higurashi spoilers)
I can't say I expected Keiichi to be attacked first, and then to survive. Not that there's much good that could happen from there on in that timeline. I wonder when Rika was killed, though. It sounded like it could have been about the same time as, or maybe even after, Reina went nuts. It's been a while since I read/watched Higurashi, but that's not supposed to happen, is it? I thought her death was the catalyst for people succumbing to the virus.

I really can't wait to see where this goes.

rika's death isn't the catalyst for anything other than takano's gassing of hinamizawa--her death triggering the virus in people is only a theory held by takano due to her grandfather's texts on the virus, it's unreliable enough that she creates the gassing of hinamizawa as a more definite solution to sealing her grandfather's legacy, since if rika dies and the village stays as normal it would make her grandfather seem like he was incorrect, while if she can push forward with the emergency measures within the time alotted most of the world will think it was an equally horrific and mysterious disaster rather than a cover up. rika can calm people who are succumbing to the virus, but the virus itself in the narrative is more of a representation of people's paranoia and fear reaching a breaking point and we never see if it's something everyone would just automatically break into after rika's death. the significant thing here is that the village hasn't been gassed and rika isn't in the place takano would regularly kill her, meaning the way she died wasn't planned

the idea that this series is written for new viewers is some poo poo when it's entirely built on significant subversions that only make sense with the context of the original story lol

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 23, 2020

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Can we drop the spoiler tags for stuff from the original? I feel like no one who hasn't seen/played it shouldn't be reading this thread anyway...

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

It sounds like you have to watch the original to understand this one so I appreciate the spoiler tags.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'm enjoying it so far, even the campy murder stuff in the most recent episode. Though basically all of the specifics of the OG Higurashi's big plot details have long sense fallen out of my memory. Just there be loops, purple can remember those loops, and nothing else. Both of which can basically already be gathered from the second episode of this show. So taking the story mostly on its own merits has been pretty fun. I don't really think anything except maybe what can be known from weeb cultural osmosis is really necessary to enjoy the new show.

edit: added spoilers in politeness to the above poster.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the time loops are a narrative structure thing, they're secondary to the character arcs and relationships that make up higurashi as a story, as well as the core details to what the original mystery was, those are what gou is twisting the knife on. those are the things that i think this first arc has less punch without because if you don't know the original story details there's not much to infer from what happened here other than what's on the surface, kind of a weak foot to start on for a mystery

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Admittedly I never read the VN, so I cannot judge it's merits as an adaptation. However I think these four episodes have communicated fairly well what everyone's emotional deal and relationships are when things are mostly normal. Which was something I remember finding lacking in the original anime over a similar period of episodes.

I guess what I'm getting at is that unless there are significantly more drastic changes I think they're mainly there as a extra layer for people who read the vn/saw the original, rather than completely necissary to viewing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's not an adaptation at all, they're animating some of the sol scenes from the original story but episode 4 marks onidamashi as an entirely different story to the first arc of the original

the key visual for gou itself already implies they're going in some big directions too

i'm not gonna push anyone off watching gou or w/e but it's definitely already diverged so much that it's not something i'd recommend as an entry point to higurashi, it'd be more awkward than reading the console arcs on a first read of the original vn

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 23, 2020

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Raxivace posted:

I really hope Keiichi is still an unreliable narrator a la Onikakushi-hen because otherwise this arc just descended into flatout self-parody at the end.

Like I expect some amount of tonal dissonance from Higurashi but this had me straight up laughing at points.

I'm assuming he was seeing hallucinations because of that weird flickering filter that was applied after he entered the kitchen till the end of the fight. Rika might have been able to talk him down for a bit but Rena with HS probably triggered something.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

the significant thing here is that the village hasn't been gassed and rika isn't in the place takano would regularly kill her, meaning the way she died wasn't planned

Still need to find out what the renovations at the clinic are and why Satoko was caught up with her.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

The Colonel posted:

rika's death isn't the catalyst for anything other than takano's gassing of hinamizawa--her death triggering the virus in people is only a theory held by takano due to her grandfather's texts on the virus, it's unreliable enough that she creates the gassing of hinamizawa as a more definite solution to sealing her grandfather's legacy, since if rika dies and the village stays as normal it would make her grandfather seem like he was incorrect, while if she can push forward with the emergency measures within the time alotted most of the world will think it was an equally horrific and mysterious disaster rather than a cover up. rika can calm people who are succumbing to the virus, but the virus itself in the narrative is more of a representation of people's paranoia and fear reaching a breaking point and we never see if it's something everyone would just automatically break into after rika's death. the significant thing here is that the village hasn't been gassed and rika isn't in the place takano would regularly kill her, meaning the way she died wasn't planned

the idea that this series is written for new viewers is some poo poo when it's entirely built on significant subversions that only make sense with the context of the original story lol

OK, yeah, I've forgotten more than I thought. I should probably do a reread soon.

Midjack posted:

Still need to find out what the renovations at the clinic are and why Satoko was caught up with her.

Yeah, I was curious about the "renovations" (which I really doubt are actually renovations, unless the entire medical staff decided to just move out or something, or maybe they're just dropping the facade), too. That was the point for me in the episode where it jumped to "Wait, where are they going with this?".

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 23, 2020

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

my guess takano isn't going to be the big bad this time around, and I think the yamaino leaving the clinic implies that something happened to her.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

my guess takano isn't going to be the big bad this time around, and I think the yamaino leaving the clinic implies that something happened to her.

I didn't read the VN, but did they ever elaborate on the woman that was the leader of Tokyo, Nomura, in the VN? I only briefly remember her from the anime, but I don't remember anything else about her. Maybe she could still be doing something, or maybe it's a completely new character behind the scenes?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

Takano actually dying would take the story in a different direction.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The nurse at the end is the same one who kills Satoko at the end of ep five of season 2 of the original run. What does this mean? I have no idea.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

The Colonel posted:

it's not an adaptation at all, they're animating some of the sol scenes from the original story but episode 4 marks onidamashi as an entirely different story to the first arc of the original

the key visual for gou itself already implies they're going in some big directions too

i'm not gonna push anyone off watching gou or w/e but it's definitely already diverged so much that it's not something i'd recommend as an entry point to higurashi, it'd be more awkward than reading the console arcs on a first read of the original vn

Yeah. I don't think the deceptive marketing was a good idea in the end, as these new arcs really don't do enough to ease in new viewers so it's just going to leave people confused.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
if they had just kept it in their pants until THIS episode and cut out the opening to ep 2, I think the sneakiness could've paid off really well. if I still thought I was watching a mostly on point adaption of onikakushi (as all the differences in the first 3 eps outside of one scene are stuff you can just argue as being a result of an adaption) and suddenly k1 opened the door I'd lose my poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I was so happy when I saw the hug, I actually clapped when I saw it :unsmith: