Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
i guess you could call it... Cushing syndrome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Glottis posted:

I saw him in Harry Potter recently for the first time after seeing Rogue One, and unfortunately the dude just moves his face like a strange zombie which (in my opinion) totally amplified the uncanny valley poo poo. I still think they should have just recast the character.

Honestly, I would have just rather him play the character. People were freaked out by CGI Leia at the end, and I get it, but it was a quick moment so it didn't bug me. CGI Tarkin bugged me way more because he was all over that movie, and it was so loving distracting.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I think it would be about as distracting to have someone who isn't Peter Cushing play his character. They got away with recasting Mon Mothma in the film because that actress was only known as Mon Mothma anyway, but Peter Cushing is iconic. Maybe the better solution would be not including him but I still find it incredibly impressive even if he doesn't quite look real.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I think if it was limited to just that first tease in the reflection of the window transparisteeland just the voice and body double in the wide shots I feel like it would be better regarded

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ingmar terdman posted:

My cynical theory is they just wanted a black woman on the poster and on the press tour

My god everyone looks loving miserable here.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

My god everyone looks loving miserable here.

I believe that the question was "what was your face like when the movie ended at the cast screening" this is not a joke

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Guy Henry was excellent as Cassius in Rome. I wish they had just used him without the CGI.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

PeterWeller posted:

Guy Henry was excellent as Cassius in Rome. I wish they had just used him without the CGI.

Agreed to a point, but only as a supporting character. Tarkin really needs to stand out. I don’t think he could have delivered as Tarkin on his own.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Agreed to a point, but only as a supporting character. Tarkin really needs to stand out. I don’t think he could have delivered as Tarkin on his own.

Tarkin is a supporting character in Rogue One.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Isometric Bacon posted:

That Finn rewrite stuff is fascinating. All in all I think it was probably a good choice not to have literally all of your new characters suddenly be Jedi, but boy did they fall to do anything interesting with him after the Force Awakens. Especially after John Boyega had such a memorable and enigmatic performance in that film.

the film series is about jedi the main characters of all the movies have been jedi. And boyega did an alright job but the finn character was treated like dogshit through that movie, fuckin jarjar got better treatment.

also it would have been cool to have 2 jedi so they could maybe go down different paths. finn taking up a pacifist/leader role inspiring stormtroopers to defect while rey goes and wages a more aggressive war

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Alchenar posted:

Tarkin is a supporting character in Rogue One.

Alright, I said it weird, but I think you know what I mean. Peter Cushing stands out as Tarkin in a way that I don’t think Henry ever could.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
It's the slippers

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Elfgames posted:

also it would have been cool to have 2 jedi so they could maybe go down different paths. finn taking up a pacifist/leader role inspiring stormtroopers to defect while rey goes and wages a more aggressive war

I was really excited about this after Force Awakens because I was looking forward to Finn potentially being like someone who can use the force but still relies on physical combat mostly, like the sort of swashbuckling sword and sorcery-ish sci-fi you'd see in a lot of 60s and 70s stuff (and hell in earlier Star Wars stuff itself) that would inspire other stormtroopers as a complement to Rey being this out of nowhere nobody that's a force wizard.

Kylo also in Force Awakens, when he suspends that blaster bolt early on in the movie, that's something we've never seen in the movies before. He's an interesting casting choice/"character design" because he's clearly an extremely powerful force user but also so prone to raging out that he tries to brute force everything.

I don't know, Force Awakens was a busted, tired retread in so many ways but the way it hinted at how the force was going to work for those those three was cool imo and set the stage for potentially good stuff.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Neo Rasa posted:

Kylo also in Force Awakens, when he suspends that blaster bolt early on in the movie, that's something we've never seen in the movies before. He's an interesting casting choice/"character design" because he's clearly an extremely powerful force user but also so prone to raging out that he tries to brute force everything.

You got me thinking. I think the only force powers we see in TFA that were ever seen in the movies before is (1) Rey using the jedi mind trick once and (2) Kylo doing standard telekinesis once on the lightsaber at the end. Everything else was new - holding, mind reading, etc. This idea holds pretty much true for the rest of the sequel trilogy, where each film has like 1 or 2 instances of an "old" power and a bunch of new random stuff.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The bolt freezing is TK, and Vader pulls "sister" out of Luke's head. Luke/Vader have a less flashy version of the force-skype and so do Luke/Leia to an extent.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Glottis posted:

You got me thinking. I think the only force powers we see in TFA that were ever seen in the movies before is (1) Rey using the jedi mind trick once and (2) Kylo doing standard telekinesis once on the lightsaber at the end. Everything else was new - holding, mind reading, etc. This idea holds pretty much true for the rest of the sequel trilogy, where each film has like 1 or 2 instances of an "old" power and a bunch of new random stuff.

Well, Rey uses telekinesis on the lightsaber at the end, too.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It's still wild that Vader using time travel is just glossed over and the concept is never revisited again.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I'm sorry, what?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have altered the timeline. Pray I do not alter it any further

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yeah I have no idea what Robot Style is referring to. Though I look forward to SMG telling us that the prequel trilogy is obviously actually about Darth Vader time traveling back after death to try and save Padme and stop Palpatine, and failing.

Actually...that doesn’t sound so bad.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah I have no idea what Robot Style is referring to. Though I look forward to SMG telling us that the prequel trilogy is obviously actually about Darth Vader time traveling back after death to try and save Padme and stop Palpatine, and failing.

Actually...that doesn’t sound so bad.

I don't know for certain but that's probably the plot of a handful of EU books.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't know for certain but that's probably the plot of a handful of EU books.

Forward time travel comes up in some latter old EU books, but only looking forward. And Rebels has dipped into time travel, most pointedly to save Ahsoka’s life. But, in my memory, never anything Vader did.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Vader tortures Han on Cloud City in order to lure Luke to Bespin via a premonition of his friends in pain.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Robot Style posted:

Vader tortures Han on Cloud City in order to lure Luke to Bespin via a premonition of his friends in pain.

Is that time travel? I thought that was luring him via pain happening at the time.

I admit, I might be forgetting the order of events. Time is a bit fishy in ESB, as far as what happens when.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Luke gets his vision while the Falcon is on the way to Bespin, so it's definitely no a result of anything that's currently happening.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Robot Style posted:

Luke gets his vision while the Falcon is on the way to Bespin, so it's definitely no a result of anything that's currently happening.

Okay, but then is that time travel? Or is it knowing that Luke will able to have visions of the future, and taking advantage of that? Like he did with Padme’s death.

I admit that these are not that much different.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It could also have been intended for Luke to feel the torture as it was happening, the plan pretty much works the same either way except Luke shows up a little sooner

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Okay, but then is that time travel? Or is it knowing that Luke will able to have visions of the future, and taking advantage of that? Like he did with Padme’s death.

The link isn’t to Padme, it’s to Shmi. The torture of Shmi sent reverberating pain into Anakin, which forced him into drastic and ultimately tragic circumstances. Vader remembers well the psychic pain the tusken raiders inflicted on him, and now like an abused child who has become an abuser himself, he directs that same psychic torture towards his son.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jewmanji posted:

The link isn’t to Padme, it’s to Shmi. The torture of Shmi sent reverberating pain into Anakin, which forced him into drastic and ultimately tragic circumstances. Vader remembers well the psychic pain the tusken raiders inflicted on him, and now like an abused child who has become an abuser himself, he directs that same psychic torture towards his son.

The pain he feels from the vision of Padme’s death is directly informed by what happened with Shmi, and is still a relevant example, but you’re right, that is the more direct comparison.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah it's not really time travel in the traditional sense, but the idea of Vader specifically sending a psychic message-in-a-bottle back in time is cool, and is a more creative use of the Force than we usually see in the movies.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Robot Style posted:

Yeah it's not really time travel in the traditional sense, but the idea of Vader specifically sending a psychic message-in-a-bottle back in time is cool, and is a more creative use of the Force than we usually see in the movies.

Alright yeah, I like that. A lot.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Robot Style posted:

It's interesting to think how that plays into Yoda warning Luke against responding to the visions - Yoda clearly doesn't know the outcome and it comes across as pretty callous when Luke's friends are in danger. But he was right that he wasn't ready to face Vader.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I swear I remember that time travel was something that Lucas specifically forbade to let happen in the EU when he had control.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Isometric Bacon posted:

It's interesting to think how that plays into Yoda warning Luke against responding to the visions - Yoda clearly doesn't know the outcome and it comes across as pretty callous when Luke's friends are in danger. But he was right that he wasn't ready to face Vader.

Plus he remembers Anakin having premonitions that ended up making him fall to the dark side. Plus plus he himself once charged in heedlessly with a lightsaber to save his friends, and it ended up starting the clone wars

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/PhilSzostak/status/1319378974414286848

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I really like the concept of people fighting on the hull of a giant spaceship. But the execution was terrible and kept begging the question of why doesn't another ship just shoot them. And, um, horses? Eh.

The ship has artificial gravity so why doesn't it does just a barrel roll?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Neo Rasa posted:

The ship has artificial gravity so why doesn't it does just a barrel roll?

it's be a very slow roll given the ship's size

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

thrawn527 posted:

I admit, I might be forgetting the order of events. Time is a bit fishy in ESB, as far as what happens when.

It is. I dont think I ever undrestood for how much time Luke trained with Yoda, could be a year or day and a half

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And just wait til you bring relativity and FTL into play!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The light from the dagobah system when luke was training is just now reaching us.