Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The UT is plot tech. Better not to think about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
No one was around to push the Pidgin update but you can still get Gilbert and Sullivan in over 3 billion languages.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Very much enjoyed the second episode, though I kind of wish they'd have flipped the order of the first two. This worked really well as an introduction to the setting and established all of the major beats that we got in the first episode, except that we were shown it and not told. "Something happened to the Federation and they're not really around anymore, but there's some people who still believe. Dilithium is rare and ships are grounded, so necessary goods are delivered via couriers and some of them are assholes. There's an exchange somewhere that serves as a major trading hub, and the Orions are involved." We could have gotten all those questions raised with Discovery's crew, and then gotten some answers to those questions in a flashback with Michael, rather than having the setting explained to us and then seeing an example of it in action.

I'm guessing that there is no dumb Control plot with Detmer, she just got flung over her console and smashed her head in a crash landing right after waking up from being knocked unconscious by time travel g-forces. She's got a concussion or her implants are acting up, the overworked medical staff just fixed up the head wound and sent her on her way, and the traumatic brain injury isn't leaving her clear-headed enough to ask for better treatment. We're going to get a plot beat where she passes out at a critical moment and needs treatment, maybe involving magical future tech.

Definitely agree with the sentiment that Georgiou is in bad need of some character depth. I'm thinking that the entire season will be a battle between "we must compromise our morals to further our goals" and "we must uphold the ideals of the Federation even when things seem bleak" and while I'm totally fine with that it's going to be really tiring if every episode is Space Hitler getting off on murdering people while Saru lectures her about Starfleet values.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
It feels like the past two episodes are two different shows. This episode was pretty enjoyable, not amazing but good for disco. Feels a lot more like star trek than ep 1 though and the rest of the crew are 100 times more watchable than the Burnham stuff.

I honestly think if they just stopped wasting their time on spocks overly emotional emotionless mary sue half sister then we could have a competent trek show. Wouldn't that be something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This episode was ok, but it pretty much did the exact same thing the last episode did. They really should have just aired both of these at the same time and had the third episode come out this week. Now I have no new information and I have to wait yet another week to find out what happens next.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I guess if the Federation is basically nonexistent and UTs are primarily Fed tech then it kinda makes sense that they just wouldn’t be as ubiquitous anymore. But then again, they also still have widespread access to transporters, so who knows?

Maybe that one dude is just really into pirate roleplay.

I would assume that multiple species have their own translators. The Ferengi certainly do. In Little Green Men, they poke hair pins into their ears to get the translators to reset. And maybe it can't translate the pidgin language because, like other pidgin langauges, it is made up of a bunch of other languages and it has trouble figuring that out.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Or literally just "Part II" and have it be about the weird aftereffects of some time-fuckery.

Venture Brothers did this wonderfully with "Escape to the House of Mummies, Part II". We never did find out what they did with the Perfect Man!

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Really needed the several gratuitous shots of gore to let us know evil lady killed the heck out of previous evil guy. And then snarkily making GBS threads on diplomacy to kill some more people. Making The Hard Decisions(tm) is her new role, I guess? This will get old fast. Glad they've already reunited with The Burn instead of dragging it out. The tractor beam looked nice. Now that we're done with the intros hoping the rest goes better.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

A.o.D. posted:

The quake 2 railgun.

this

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Butternubs posted:

It feels like the past two episodes are two different shows. This episode was pretty enjoyable, not amazing but good for disco. Feels a lot more like star trek than ep 1 though and the rest of the crew are 100 times more watchable than the Burnham stuff.

I honestly think if they just stopped wasting their time on spocks overly emotional emotionless mary sue half sister then we could have a competent trek show. Wouldn't that be something.

Burnham is the worst written character in a tv show, let alone a protagonist, in I don't know how long. I have zero clue what she wants, three seasons in. Her only direction seems to be "okay in this scene we want you to emote as hard as you can. doesn't matter what you're doing, just loving beam that poo poo at the poor seats so hard you look like a loving lunatic. perfect, got it in one, moving on"

If I hadn't seen Martin-Green in other roles I'd think she's just a rookie actor, I'm afraid this role is doing her zero favors.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Thom12255 posted:

Pretty sure Detmer is just suffering PTSD or something, she didn't have any problems until she hit her head at the crash and it probably brought back memories of how she got that cyborg stuff in the first place.

Or the cyborg stuff is malfunctioning. She just needs to find the other button below the first one and fiddle around with it for a bit

Just watched S3E2 instead of the Trump/Bidenoff and feel it was productive time well spent. But fer chrissake I was with Georgiou (and maybe Tilly?) on not letting the courier walk out of there alive

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 23, 2020

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Martytoof posted:

Str Trek: A False Hope

THE DEAD SPEAK!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Still going through the second episode but drat this had some good shots.

Also I missed Doug Jones.

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 23, 2020

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

apatheticman posted:

Still going through the second episode but drat this had some good shots.

Also I missed Doug Jones.

The second he busted out the ol' hand-sway walk was the second I truly felt home

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Honestly, this episode felt more like classic TNG or Voyager than almost anything Disco has done. I really enjoyed it. The pacing was solid, and it was a self-contained story that lends itself to the greater narrative.

Disco good.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

xerxus posted:

It's also not exactly another timeskip. They just wanted to give the audience the point of the ship and crew before diving into the season. Them experiencing the future is way better than having Burnham welcome them and explain everything.
We'll be seeing what happens in that one year. This clip is probably the teaser for the next episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0yhyo-fds8

Georgiou is perhaps too self aware.

"Section 31 would have begged me to take over sooner or later, and bureaucracy is where fun goes to die. I like jumping from universe to universe."
S31 was supposed to have been filmed during this Summer before Covid, but it's now going to arrive after Discovery Season 4. I wonder if they wrote her going away this season or if they'll readjust some scripts to keep her around in Season 4. That they referenced Calypso's the V'Draysh implies that there may be some time travelling involved where Discovery needs to be hidden in away to come back to the future via the long way, with possibly some characters staying back in the past.

If nothing else I appreciate all the Enterprise-J looking Federation ships in that dumbfuck "all ships go slpodey" shot. They actually looked like properly thought out Universe-classes rather than the "we had two weeks to design this and get it on screen" job that the E-J was.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

HD DAD posted:

Honestly, this episode felt more like classic TNG or Voyager than almost anything Disco has done. I really enjoyed it. The pacing was solid, and it was a self-contained story that lends itself to the greater narrative.

Disco good.

All of that, then at the very end Burnham saves the day out of nowhere at the end of the episode, invalidating the crew's pain and sweat. Cheap as gently caress ending to an otherwise good episode.

They do need a good plan for Georgiou in a hurry or she's going to be a drag.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Wait, so all the dilithium exploded.

All the dilithium. Everywhere.

Kevin Uxbridge is back, and he's pissed.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Neurolimal posted:

I dont blame Yeoh because her character is incoherent, but I still have no idea why everyone is so cool with Mirror Georgiou hanging around.

It's like if Dukat had an episode where he ate Nog, and then the next episode he joined Starfleet to zero fanfare.

Yeah, I don't mind most of the dumb Disco shenanigans, but this is such a needless manufactured conflict.

I've been wondering - for multiple seasons now - when some enterprising transporter chief will take the opportunity to just maroon her on a planet or outright delete her from the pattern buffer. Would prevent a whole bunch of inevitable problems down the line.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Alright, now do episodes like that for the next 9 episodes and then do a big plot spectacle two-parter for the finale.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
My wild, unsupported speculation is that the two "episodes" were meant to be woven together, but the editors are so piss-poor they couldn't make it work (or the directors have too much control and came up with the lovely idea to separate them after filming)

The first episode is badly stitched together to maybe make the audience wonder if Discovery made it through... I mean, nobody buys that Discovery wasn't going to make it through and Michael is all alone for a second.
The second episode is badly stitched together to maybe make the audience wonder if Michael made it through/mystery of when/where they are (all the sensors going down)

It's hard to definitively tell because the editing is not great at the best of times but it looks like we're meant to cut between the two stories and think they're running in parallel, and then have the Michael reveal at the end of the two parter.

Overall enjoyed ep 2. Charming actors still charming. All the makeup work is getting better every season. Ice effects were pretty bad looking, but I think the vision was greater than the budget for that, and it's still fine.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

They really should have had discovery get out of the ice on their own, only to then have the big scary ship show up while they're still really hosed up, they coulda done the same tension, but let the crew finally have a moment to shine as well.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Does Discovery have shuttles?

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
I think they all the shuttles got armed and sent out to fight in the battle at the end of season two.
So they either would have gotten blown up or left behind.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I guess you can rip off Mass Effect as long as it's Andromeda since I'm the only person that has played that game. I'm joking, but there were a few similarities in the openings, so I was expecting someone to have lost their poo poo already.

Overall, that episode is in the top episodes of Discovery that feel like Star Trek. Just with a budget. It wasn't perfect, but it has a clear moral and Saru used diplomacy over violence, and never caved into the hard choices, hard people thing.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
The dilithium exploding bugs me because right after control and the picard robot squids, do we really need another galaxy spanning disaster? why can't we just have the federation collapse due to an admiral with a brain worm or they got into a fight with someone they couldn't beat?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cross-Section posted:

The second he busted out the ol' hand-sway walk was the second I truly felt home

Just watched and literally came to post about this, I was beaming. Doug Jones is a loving treasure.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Payndz posted:

Wait, so all the dilithium exploded.

All the dilithium. Everywhere.

Kevin Uxbridge is back, and he's pissed.

He got remarried and dilithium killed his new wife?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I'm fine with the dilithium thing so far. But I'm about 90% sure they'll have a dumb explanation for it at some point.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s interesting in the preview clip for next week’s episode, where the burn is explained by not all the dilithium exploding, but by it all suddenly going inert for some reason. This negates its regulatory properties, which naturally then makes warp cores go boom. Slightly more coherent than “dilithium just exploded”.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

CaptainSkinny posted:

Overall, that episode is in the top episodes of Discovery that feel like Star Trek. Just with a budget. It wasn't perfect, but it has a clear moral and Saru used diplomacy over violence, and never caved into the hard choices, hard people thing.

This is the fucker about Disco, I think I could probably write it off but it does frequently have a core of Good Star Trek about it, which Picard can't manage. I know Trek is supposed to mirror our times to tell it's story and trust in institutions is at an all time low, but I honestly don't find anything to enjoy in a Trek where Starfleet is corrupt and the Federation is poo poo. At least Disco is quite good at having people be Not Dickheads In Space.

If they could stop making Burnham the Trek version of DW's Clara and then send Yeoh off do the Section 31 show that I will definitely not watch, it'd all be a lot better.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Like the scene in S1? 2? of Stamets and Culber talking about love while brushing their teeth was the most human, and sincere, Trek has been in ages and ages and ages, little moments like that keep me coming back but then ALL THE DILITHIUM BLOWS UP

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The thing I liked most about this episode was, minus Georgiou, just how uncompromisingly supportive everyone was to each other. Even Jet with Stamets. Saru telling Tilly to keep talking because she was scared was stellar.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

100% the Burn will be a time paradox involving Michael and we’re gonna groan when it happens.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

100% the Burn will be a time paradox involving Michael and we’re gonna groan when it happens.

Also bad luck for the extra who got a surname to her character this episode because that means she's not coming back next season.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I think Disco is important to watch as a reference point for Rich Evans' impending mental collapse.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I think Disco is important to watch as a reference point for Rich Evans' impending mental collapse.

They are absolutely proving RLM's mantra 'never go too big too early'. What do our characters do after they've saved all of civilisation? I guess they have to do it again!

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Alchenar posted:

They are absolutely proving RLM's mantra 'never go too big too early'. What do our characters do after they've saved all of civilisation? I guess they have to do it again!

That's simple, just put them in space after you jump the shark. That should keep things fresh and exciting.

Honestly, the show needs a Risa style episode. Bring down that impending doom energy and take a moment to relax a little. I'm enjoying the show more when I don't take it so seriously, and I think the show itself could benefit from the same.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Burnham is really written like someone's weird self-insert. Even when she's only there for 3 lines out of 45 minutes.

I do appreciate they at least went exploring an alien planet though, even if it just hada bar without whisky on the rocks

Falcorum fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 23, 2020

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

HD DAD posted:

It’s interesting in the preview clip for next week’s episode, where the burn is explained by not all the dilithium exploding, but by it all suddenly going inert for some reason. This negates its regulatory properties, which naturally then makes warp cores go boom. Slightly more coherent than “dilithium just exploded”.

...I really really like that, because it was TNG that gave dilithium the "moderates the reaction" specificity, and it's always been hand-wavey that if you apply a EM field to dilithium it's non-reactive to anti-matter, and it didn't seem like the Federation ever figured out *why* dilithium can do that (since it's the only substance they know of that can), so I think it's a good hook if that magic property just disappeared one day mysteriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Falcorum posted:

even if it just hada bar without whisky on the rocks

Don't sound like no bar to me :clint: