Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I've literally been for a drink in diss.

Me too, it's near Eye.

(I had friends years back where their Dad owned big style land off the back of their ancestral home in...Wyvern or somewhere like that? And he refused to sell to Barratt homes because 'they're a bunch of cunts'.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Hell itself seems like a long way to go for a drink.

Applicable to either the mythological place or the place in michigan.

Depends where you live innit, I used to be nearby in Michigan and have been there. Its a tiny village that mostly sells tourist tat though, not sure there was even a bar.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The fudge money's going to end up in the Cayman Islands isn't it

As if. It’s mostly ended up with the vets or our solicitors thus far. Cats and moving are expensive, who’d have thunk it?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

feedmegin posted:

Depends where you live innit, I used to be nearby in Michigan and have been there. Its a tiny village that mostly sells tourist tat though, not sure there was even a bar.

Hell in Norway might be nearer. I only remember the train station, but they do have an annual blues festival.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Have you tried asking the vet or the solicitor if they will do the other's job at a discount?

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I've literally been for a drink in diss.

I Live in Roydon

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Fumble posted:

I Live in Roydon

you have my condolences

lol I worked in harlow once.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I finally played Disco Elysium a couple of months ago and can confirm that it is excellent, probably would have been my game of last year if I’d played it then.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Disco elysium is one of the funniest, saddest and most beautiful games I've ever played. I loved it. Everyone should play it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wish I liked story driven RPGs but I can never get away with them. Couldn't enjoy baldur's gate either and everyone says that is very good.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

it helps that its funny and has no terrible combat system slowing everything to a crawl so you can fight rats

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I quite like terrible combat systems and would rather have them than more dialogue.

I dunno, I never liked CYOA books either.

About the most dialogue heavy I can tolerate is something like a modern fallout. I like games with story I just don't like games that revolve around talking to people. I really liked Hollow Knight mostly because of the art and plot even though I am terrible at the actual fighting part.

I dunno, stories are good and can add a lot to a game but if the gameplay revolves around talking to people I don't enjoy it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It helps that disco elysiums writing and story is unlike anything you’ve played before. I wouldn’t play, say, original sin 2 if it was just a story with no combat. That’d be awful. Disco elysium transcends the medium and I’m pretty confident it’s like no other piece of fiction you’ve experienced.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm with Owl. As much as I want to love RPGs like that, my attention span just isn't that good.

It's why I love Dark Souls so much. All the RPG with none of the waiting around.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Disco elysium is less a RPG and more a sprawling gently caress up simulation where you have at best a wildly tangential relationship with what you're doing and the decisions you make. It's the RPG that really leans into rolling a one if you gently caress up. I think it was around the time I opted to make a smooth exit from a conversation about owing money and failed the roll and ended up diving backwards flipping the double bird and knocking myself out on the little old lady's wheelchair that I realised it was the best game ever written.

Plus it's all written vertically to simulate twitter so it's good for your attention destroyed brains.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

God drat, look at Rashford's twitter timeline https://twitter.com/MarcusRashford

Just page after page of restaurants offering free meals to children

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know much about football but however good he is at it I think he's wasted on it.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Disco Elysium is a truly excellent game IMO. It's definitely not just for memes.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Rashford has just comprehensively dunked on literally every tory MP in the last 24 hours.

Nicky Morgan reminding the country why she was so loving terrible at being on tele and re-inforcing the 'we voted against it to spite Labour' has massively backfired again.

The papers printing a list of every MP that voted against helping starving children.

This government makes policy by focus group so I imagine the free meals extension will get announced today.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Guavanaut posted:

The best thing about Ian Paisley is that the Discordians made him an official Pope (as is everyone who applies and doesn't) and he hated it.
I need to know more about this, anybody got a link?

minema
May 31, 2011
Got our choice of Exit Music on 6 music this morning, I think I've peaked.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
God yes play Disco Elysium

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

serious gaylord posted:

This government makes policy by focus group so I imagine the free meals extension will get announced today.

'Boris Babe's Best Bites' - the Scum headline 24.10.20

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

I think you're right. Marcus has woken up and has been tweeting and endless stream of free meals for children all morning. I don't see how the government can look on poo poo like this as anything but a complete PR disaster:

https://twitter.com/MarcusRashford/status/1319534220549754880

Or stuff like this:

https://twitter.com/henrywinter/status/1319431824687435777

https://twitter.com/henrywinter/status/1319432877013143552

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

TheRat posted:

I think you're right. Marcus has woken up and has been tweeting and endless stream of free meals for children all morning. I don't see how the government can look on poo poo like this as anything but a complete PR disaster:

https://twitter.com/MarcusRashford/status/1319534220549754880

This is a nice gesture but councils don't have any money to fund the needs of even their existing childrens services.

It's also effectively what the government do over and over again deliberately - order councils to address something but don't give them any extra funding so the money simply has to be removed from another area that people are paying less attention to.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Tory voters approve of starving children though. If anything they will want more beatings for the children as well

and they will be extra pissed off that Marcus is a wealthy, black 22 year old lol

crispix fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Oct 23, 2020

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So, question, if I wanted to see my parents sometime this year, and they're currently in tier 1 but I'm getting punted into tier 3, but I've been a good boy who has masked up everywhere and wiped down his shopping and generally not mixed with people and all that jazz, is there anything actually stopping me from getting a train to go see them within the rules or guidelines or whatever the gently caress they're classed as?

I don’t think anyone replied to this - my understanding is that travel in/out of tier 3 is ‘advised against’ but not illegal. Though you may be given a hard time at the train stations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

I need to know more about this, anybody got a link?
The Discordian Church printed and distributed a ton of these during the 70s. Apparently The Rev. Paisley got one, and rather than appreciating the highly Protestant dynamic of making everyone a pope to make nobody The Pope, was not amused.

I can't find a direct link about that though.

happyhippy posted:

Best story I heard when I was working in IT for NI govt when the assembly was being set up was that Big Ian got curtains installed in the lifts.
The legend goes that he was running to get a lift, doors were closing, and he shouted out to whoever to stop it.
Who is inside? Gerry 'totally a fake beard' Adams. Both stared at the walls rather than in each others direction, but they were mirrored.
The request to cover them with curtains was shortly after.
:laugh:

OwlFancier posted:

Oh and I have some good news albeit not like, on a political level. My friend who is in hospital appears to be a medical miracle and is actually recovering. So I am relieved that she may be OK but now have a whole pile of new stress about trying to make sure she can cope once she comes home. Also mildly terrified about her diabetes after brexit... But it is still a better outcome, her kids will get to see her again I hope so I'm just focusing on that.
This is great news, and I hope for a continued positive outcome.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Camrath posted:

As if. It’s mostly ended up with the vets or our solicitors thus far. Cats and moving are expensive, who’d have thunk it?

All money eventually ends up n the Caymans, we just hold it for a little while.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

All money eventually ends up n the Caymans, we just hold it for a little while.

Got a dumb question about this I've always wondered. When people say their money is in the Cayman Islands what does it mean? Are there simply companies incorporated there just on paper with their actual offices in the UK or do they need infrastructure (servers and vaults etc) on the island. Literally all I think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNEcAbsfeB4

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 23, 2020

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Why do the British media seem pro trump at the moment? I watched some poo poo on ITV yesterday where they mostly interviewed pro trump people and just let the lies go unquestioned. The voice over even said multiple times about how trump is good for the economy. I also just watched a bit on the BBC about how trump was good at the debate and they VERY selectively showed clips of him and didn't mention the racism or rambling lies. They then interviewed a republican who did the normal lies about how lockdown bad, trump good, oil good etc etc but didn't have anyone pro-biden on.

This isn't even pretending to be impartial

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

Got a dumb question about this I've always wondered. When people say their money is in the Cayman Islands what does it mean? Are there simply companies incorporated there just on paper with their actual offices in the UK or do they need infrastructure (servers and vaults etc) on the island. Literally all I think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNEcAbsfeB4

It's in banks which are nominally headquartered there.

AFAIK the main reason they chose the Caymans instead of like... greenlad... is that it means that when your company HQ is in the caymans you have to go to the caymans for board meetings.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

hemale in pain posted:

Why do the British media seem pro trump at the moment? I watched some poo poo on ITV yesterday where they mostly interviewed pro trump people and just let the lies go unquestioned. The voice over even said multiple times about how trump is good for the economy. I also just watched a bit on the BBC about how trump was good at the debate and they VERY selectively showed clips of him and didn't mention the racism or rambling lies. They then interviewed a republican who did the normal lies about how lockdown bad, trump good, oil good etc etc but didn't have anyone pro-biden on.

I think Biden has said they will not do any trades with us if we break the GFA. Trump has not so they probably care more about Trump.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

Just on paper, except they pay an array of local directors, accountants, lawyers, company secretaries etc who are in Cayman who fulfil those roles for hundreds of companies.

There's no infrastructure, the companies are actually entirely run from overseas.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

hemale in pain posted:

Because Boris said he will give them a good Brexit deal next year if he wins.
Sky is Murdoch owned, so will champion all right wing people around the world no matter what.
ITV News is a pared down lightweight version of itsself from decades ago, they use whatever footage they can get and will run it. More interested in cheaper emotional stories like kids dying so they can keep bums on seats before Emmerdale starts.
BBC don't criticize anything right wing much now to prevent the howls of bias from the right and the threats of defunding.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

hemale in pain posted:

Johnson and the Tories are desperate to rush through a Trump trade deal because Biden has said he'll veto anything that fucks up the Good Friday Agreement; the British media are currently kowtowing to Johnson and the Tories on everything; ergo, TROMP GUD FUR BRITAN is the approved message of the moment.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I wonder what the new terms chosen for the Axis and the Allies will be this time when we're in the Axis...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

peanut- posted:

Just on paper, except they pay an array of local directors, accountants, lawyers, company secretaries etc who are in Cayman who fulfil those roles for hundreds of companies.

There's no infrastructure, the companies are actually entirely run from overseas.
Also the 'directors' are sometimes just random people from Panama paid £20 to sign a bit of paper. The Discordian Popes of capitalism.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

it's all a bit depressing. they're doing a fact checking thing now and at least they're bringing up some of the trump bullshit but COMEON just play some of his awful audio to show what a weirdo insane person he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Necrothatcher posted:

It's just a brass plaque on a wall from what I recall from a documentary I saw about it a couple of years ago.
Just set up a company there and then you can open a bank account there.

https://www.3ecpa.com/blog/why-set-up-business-in-cayman-islands/

beaten by the many further up!