Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Koivunen posted:

Hoooooo booyyy I do not remember the nausea being this bad with baby #1. She’s been bringing back crud from daycare almost constantly since the end of summer, so between all of us feeling lousy, the house has gotten a little messy. Today was supposed to be my deep cleaning day, she’s in daycare and husband is at work, but I’m currently sitting on the couch trying not to yak from loading the dishwasher. Even the smell of paper from opening mail was almost enough to induce vom. Only six weeks in, but the crushing fatigue with difficulty sleeping, plus constant nausea, plus caring for an active 18 month old is proving to be a little... difficult. With my first pregnancy, second trimester was a breeze, so hopefully it’s the same this time. Just have to make it another six weeks...

Hang in there. This is where I am right now also, everything and anything makes my stomach flip constantly. Hoping it ends sooner than later too for both of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

Koivunen posted:

Hoooooo booyyy I do not remember the nausea being this bad with baby #1. She’s been bringing back crud from daycare almost constantly since the end of summer, so between all of us feeling lousy, the house has gotten a little messy. Today was supposed to be my deep cleaning day, she’s in daycare and husband is at work, but I’m currently sitting on the couch trying not to yak from loading the dishwasher. Even the smell of paper from opening mail was almost enough to induce vom. Only six weeks in, but the crushing fatigue with difficulty sleeping, plus constant nausea, plus caring for an active 18 month old is proving to be a little... difficult. With my first pregnancy, second trimester was a breeze, so hopefully it’s the same this time. Just have to make it another six weeks...

Did you take anything last time? I did Bonjesta this time around and can definitely recommend over doing the Unisom/B6 poor man's version last time.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hadlock posted:

How many labor false alarms did everyone have before you decided to go to the hospital

Also how much crying happened, and how soon before labor.

We're at 39w3d or something, definitely something hormonal changed in the last 72 hours, no "real" contractions yet

Yes, usual disclaimer that every pregnancy is different etc etc

I was told Braxton Hicks but it was real actual early labor and I failed the monitor test and was suddenly stuck in a hospital bed with an IV for 2-3 weeks.
Soon. You'll make it through.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

I've been spotting constantly for the past week. I'm also nauseated and exhausted and my boobs are huge. I'm only 8 weeks as of today, so... I'm kinda thinking I'm going to lose this pregnancy. And I'm kinda wishing my body would get it over with so I can try again. I have no idea if the more intense pregnancy symptoms I'm having this time around are enough of a positive sign to counteract the bleeding.

I've got an ob appointment Monday, so maybe they'll have answers, I just don't have anyone in my life right now that I feel comfortable talking about this with, so I'm venting.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Good luck Chernobyl Princess. It might be worthwhile asking your ob if you can get an hcg blood draw today or tomorrow, then they can do another on Monday when you go in to see if the levels are going up like they should? That way you don't have to wait until next Wednesday.

Fwiw even with the heavy spotting/light flow I was presenting with on Monday, my midwife told me there was a chance the pregnancy was still good. It wasn't until Tuesday when I woke up to the elevator scene from the shining (confirmed by the blood test results from the day before) that there was no hope.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Emily Spinach posted:

Good luck Chernobyl Princess. It might be worthwhile asking your ob if you can get an hcg blood draw today or tomorrow, then they can do another on Monday when you go in to see if the levels are going up like they should? That way you don't have to wait until next Wednesday.

Thanks for the advice! They actually got me scheduled with a transvaginal ultrasound to determine viability. Cause. You know. That'll be $250 instead of probably free. Whatever, medical billing is a scam. So I'll know earlier on Monday than I otherwise would.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Chernobyl Princess posted:

I've been spotting constantly for the past week. I'm also nauseated and exhausted and my boobs are huge. I'm only 8 weeks as of today, so... I'm kinda thinking I'm going to lose this pregnancy. And I'm kinda wishing my body would get it over with so I can try again. I have no idea if the more intense pregnancy symptoms I'm having this time around are enough of a positive sign to counteract the bleeding.

I've got an ob appointment Monday, so maybe they'll have answers, I just don't have anyone in my life right now that I feel comfortable talking about this with, so I'm venting.

Wishing you all the best. FWIW I had spotting during both pregnancies and in fact had a large bleed in number one and a moderate bleed in number two and both were viable. The bleeding was thanks to a subchorionic hematoma both times.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Is there anything safe I can do about a bad headache? Looking online it seems like the data on whether acetominaphen is safe is kind of disputed. I am about 9-10 wk if that changes anything.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Anecdotally I took acetaminophen throughout my pregnancy without problems, it was my main pain reliever when I needed one, including for migraines.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Carotid posted:

Anecdotally I took acetaminophen throughout my pregnancy without problems, it was my main pain reliever when I needed one, including for migraines.

Thanks, that's a relief to know as internet searching mostly just makes things more confusing, it's good to hear from others who have been there.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
I tried to avoided it, but took it on occasion. Baby was totally fine.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I had no idea what acetaminophen is so I googled it, and it’s paracetamol. Hell yeah, I took those things all the time. Just stick to the daily dosage and you’re fine. Ibuprofen is a no go.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tylenol, etc yeah. The ob office said it was the only medicine that was actually trialed properly which is why it's the only one considered safe.

Iirc

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
FWIW I took acetaminophen on the regular due to terrible hip and back pain when I was pregnant and my kid is totally fine. I personally feel safe taking it because it has been thoroughly studied.

I am staying on my Prozac this pregnancy, where I had gone off all meds prior to becoming pregnant last time. In retrospect I wish I hadn’t gone off my meds, there were some really rough times, and the PPD was severe, I didn’t feel bonded to my baby for several months. I am a little worried about staying on a psych med for the entire pregnancy, but I also know a few other people who were on Prozac specifically and their kids are fine. Also it is one of the better studied medications. The studies are where it’s at, but they’ve got to be legitimate. The internet is great at pointing out a single study that had a bad outcome, instead of the hundreds of other studies that had good, boring outcomes. It can drive you crazy, especially when all you worry about is the well-being of your baby.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I'm debating going to the hospital urgent care clinic this morning because although I have an upcoming appointment on Friday, I feel like my nausea and dizziness has become constant and overwhelming.

I took off work yesterday but I went to get breakfast, got too dizzy while waiting and had to sit down, ate, came home, fell asleep for 3 hours, woke up to massive stomach issues, lay on the sofa until my husband got some dinner, ate it, lay there more from dizziness, threw it all up, and went to bed.

I can't do anything to distract myself without getting sick (play on the switch, crochet etc,) and can't go out without getting sick, can barely do my work or house stuff right now, so I am hoping they can proscribe bonjesta or something because this seems extreme.

McDougirl
Jun 22, 2006
this title is custom-made!
If you haven't already decided, call your OB's office! They likely have a nurse line that can offer you tips or maybe call a prescription for you without having to go in to urgent care. At the very least, they may move your appointment to first thing next week if you can wait. Sorry you're dealing with that, that does sound excessive. Hang in there!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We found out about the nurse line at the local delivery room thing two weeks ago and it's been magical, highly recommend. We called them yesterday to make sure the formula they use is the same stuff we ordered as backup. Pretty minor, but a 30 second phone call solved an hour's worth of worrying. If you're throwing up food and dizzy, it's probably worth giving your nurse line a ring to get a second opinion, just to make sure. That's what it's for. Apparently, at our hospital at least, it's super quiet and they really enjoy talking to people who call in.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

McDougirl posted:

If you haven't already decided, call your OB's office! They likely have a nurse line that can offer you tips or maybe call a prescription for you without having to go in to urgent care. At the very least, they may move your appointment to first thing next week if you can wait. Sorry you're dealing with that, that does sound excessive. Hang in there!

We have Kaiser which is a whole weird system into itself. I did end up going in and was there from 9:30 to 3:30. They gave me iv fluids as I was dehydrated, did tests and gave zofran which helped, but prescribed me something else for home use which is weird (reglan). I don't know anything about it so I will reach to the OB gyn directly via the email system also.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

hallo spacedog posted:

but prescribed me something else for home use which is weird (reglan)
Reglan is metoclopramide, another wonderful anti-emetic. I was on a low dose of metoclopramide throughout most of my period of morning sickness, it kept it to within manageable levels.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 24, 2020

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Tamarillo posted:

Reglan is metoclopramide, another wonderful anti-emetic. I was on a low dose of metoclopramide throughout most of my period of morning sickness, it kept it to within manageable levels.

Thank you! I was able to get directly in touch with the OB and have a convo with her about it this afternoon so I feel a lot better now! Hoping it helps me too.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Hey Nessa, we’re third degree tear buddies! My little dude was born yesterday (his due date!) after 3.5 hours of pushing. That was definitely the most physically demanding thing I’ve ever done. Can’t imagine doing it without an epidural. He’s 8 lb 6 oz and really freaking cute. Now dealing with the fact that he likes his fingers more than my nipple!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Silent Linguist posted:

Hey Nessa, we’re third degree tear buddies! My little dude was born yesterday (his due date!) after 3.5 hours of pushing. That was definitely the most physically demanding thing I’ve ever done. Can’t imagine doing it without an epidural. He’s 8 lb 6 oz and really freaking cute. Now dealing with the fact that he likes his fingers more than my nipple!

Third degree tear buddies!

Congrats on your little one! I pushed for less than an hour, and according to my husband, it was largely my doctor who ripped me open. I was told I was a really good pusher despite not being able to feel anything.

Mine has a hard time latching, so we’re bottle feeding for now.

Careful about the first postpartum poop. Mine was a nightmare and now I’m suffering from a nasty hemorrhoid on top of my tear. Do not recommend. My butt is in constant pain that Tylenol and Motrin do nothing to help and it’s making me super cranky on top of the lack of sleep.

I highly recommend getting an inflatable donut pillow for recovery. It’s the only way I’m comfortable anymore.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Hey! Well our little one was born just after midnight on Thursday morning. My partner's also in the third degree tear club. She pushed for only ten minutes, and her pelvic floor was so tight the baby's head got stuck and the midwife had to give her an episiotomy. She's recovering well though.

Anyway we're home now, and just finessing breast feeding. He sleeps like a champ - four or five hours at a time.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Congrats!!!

Chernobyl Princess posted:

Any updates? Hope you’re doing okay.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So we are doing formula, this is our first, we're about one week in so far;

Couple things I've noticed

1) hospital formula seems to be a higher grade, even if they're labeled mostly the same. No clumps in the formula
2) hospital nipples seem to be more consistently good
3) hospital formula is measured in mL, which is a lot more accurate

4) consumer formula has clumps sometimes that clogs the nipples
5) consumer nipples need to be manually enlarged 2 out of three times
6) consumer formula, the smallest measurement is 1/8 of an ounce which is roughly 4mL, and you can't buy formula with the ml on the side, only hospitals get it

7) the price of formula is about the same if you order it directly from the manufacturer, which ought to be more fresh, on average

Side note always have extra wipes on hand, and if it's a poo diaper, don't try and macguyver it and try and leave the socks on

Another side note, the feeding/changing log isn't optional, especially if you're doing formula and both parents are feeding

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Get either a tiny hand mixer or small wire balls (like they use for protein powder) to mix your formula:
https://www.amazon.com/Prince-Lionh...05200846&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Formula-Milk...05200870&sr=8-1

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This is all pre-mix ready to drink stuff

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
For those who have more than 1 kid, how did you plan the spacing between kids? Assuming you tried to control the spacing. How old was #1 when you started trying again, and what influenced that decision? (crossposting)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Plan was 4 years because the newborn sleep(less) cycle is crazy we can't pay for double college. Life happened and they are 5 years apart and it's good and nice.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I think we started trying so they would be 3 years apart and ended up with kids almost 6 years apart.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
We wanted ours to be closer together for a few reasons. I was 30 when I had the first, and I want to be done before 35ish. We would rather deal with lack of sleep, diapers, crying, tantrums, etc. all at once over a few years, instead of having an older child and then going back to newborn after we’ve just gotten used to sleep and routine. Also, I feel like kids who are closer in age tend to have closer relationships, especially in adulthood (provided they like each other enough). My husband and I are both only children, and we both want our kids to have siblings to share life with.

My daughter is 19 months and I’m 9 weeks pregnant with #2. I didn’t get my period back until she was 14 months, and after one cycle to track fertility (my new post pregnancy cycles are six weeks long 😲) we started trying.

I’m 99% sure we will be happy with two kids, but there’s a tiny part of me that thinks three would be pretty wonderful.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Started negotiating timing for #2 when our first was around...20 months? Husband wanted a bigger gap. But he and his 5 years older brother aren't super close, and my brother and I were 15 months apart and always at each others' throats. While we were talking about it on and off, I got diagnosed with Hashimoto's and started levothyroxine, which caused me to not only ovulate, but to do so a full week earlier than normal. So, uh, 2.5 year gap it is! Might be able to convince husband to try for #3 in a few years, especially if it's another boy. Don't know how my body will take it though, I'll be probably 38 or so, and the past month of this pregnancy has been waaaaaayy rougher than the first time around. These kids most likely won't have any cousins because his brother and mine are uninterested, so it would be nice for them to have a couple of sibs at least.

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
We went for about a 4-5 year gap because we couldn't really afford to pay for 2 kids in daycare at the same time - it's not cheap here. Ended up with nearly 4 years exactly (both August babies!) My brother and I were just under 2 years apart and never, ever got along, so I wasn't concerned about that. The kids are 2 and 6 now and absolutely love each other. Wonder how long that'll last!

My husband wouldn't mind 3, but I'm happy with 2. We've put the final decision on the backburner for now given the state of everything.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
I was 36 by the time our first was born and our midwife said to wait 18 months until trying for a second just for my body to heal, but we knew we wanted ours close in age. We weren’t quite ready for personal reasons when that 18 months came, but we started trying shortly after and our boys are 2 years 5 months apart. We’re now considering a third one which was never something we’d thought about before, and baby 2 is coming up on a year (and I’m coming up on 40 next year) so if we decide to, it’ll be relatively soon again.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The only way my kids are getting another sibling is through adoption. I am over being pregnant again.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We are just at #1, but we're planning on spacing them (3, ideally) no more than 2 years apart as we don't want to be parenting for 25, 30 years. Ideally the first kid moves out in 18 years, and we downsize to a much smaller house/condo when the last kid moves out in 22 years

The best laid plans and all that,

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Hadlock posted:

This is all pre-mix ready to drink stuff

As baby starts drinking more I would recommend moving to powdered stuff, you will save soooo much money. You are technically supposed to put the formula into water right off the boil until 3 months. We used a Dr. Browns pitcher and it was a huuuuge help. Our kid also took fridge temp formula so we would just make 24 hrs of formula and pour into bottles as needed. You could do similar and just heat it as needed if yours is more particular.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My friend's second kid was born 5 days before the first turned 1. Don't do that! The rivalry is intense, but she can blast through daycare and school easily.
One of my husband's old classmates also had kids just 1 year apart … exactly at the beginning and end of the school year so they're in the same grade :roflolmao: Don't do that !!!

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

marchantia posted:

As baby starts drinking more I would recommend moving to powdered stuff, you will save soooo much money. You are technically supposed to put the formula into water right off the boil until 3 months. We used a Dr. Browns pitcher and it was a huuuuge help. Our kid also took fridge temp formula so we would just make 24 hrs of formula and pour into bottles as needed. You could do similar and just heat it as needed if yours is more particular.

Also the Kirkland brand formula (Costco) is made by Similac and is waaaaaaay cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I’m at less than 2 months until my due date and starting to kind of freak out. The thing I am obsessing over now: to get an epidural or not?
At first I thought I wanted to, but now it seems like there are a lot of risks plus being confined to bed. What did you do, and how did you decide?