Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Every day we get closer to herd immunity.

:blessed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Don't worry, I've been informed by both my father-in-law and the mechanic at work that this is all just going to disappear after election day.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Disappearing hard, thank you!

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1319393351351848963

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1319396278795669504

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 23, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A Fancy Hat posted:

Don't worry, I've been informed by both my father-in-law and the mechanic at work that this is all just going to disappear after election day.

They believe this because any crisis the right hammers is manufactured and does indeed disappear after election day.

Remember the caravan? Now that’s a name we haven’t heard in a long time.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Oh, what a time to go back to work. I was talking to the depot coordinator today and he said everyone in the office and depot except for himself has gotten Covid. That's two warehouse workers, four sales managers, and their boss. There's one routeman there who refuses to wear a mask while working so his poo poo gets shoved out into the parking lot where he can load up alone, lol.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

A Fancy Hat posted:

And if it doesn't, well, then Biden has just done a terrible job managing it!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

It's spreading down from Canada!!!

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

This is what you have to remember when you see all those articles about how Covid is now a very treatable disease.

Sure it's treatable if you can find a hospital with the capacity to treat you and with knowledge of the new treatment methods. Otherwise you're hosed if you get it and need treatment.

7of7 fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 23, 2020

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Hard to overstate how hosed we are here in Switzerland:

The Swiss health ministry task force just gave one of the most insane press conferences I have ever witnessed. Basically they were like, if we don't do anything like yesterday, the Healthcare system will collapse in about two weeks. Also we can't do contact tracing, you need to do that yourself.

bollig fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 23, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Emmentaler lungs

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

bollig posted:

The Swiss health ministry task force just gave one of the most insane press conferences I have ever witnessed. Basically they were like, if we don't do anything like yesterday, the Healthcare system will collapse in about two weeks. Also we can't do contact tracing, you need to do that yourself.

:smith:

One of my better friends at my last job was a Swiss MD who was doing research in my same lab. He works primarily on pulmonary stuff and went back to Switzerland a few years ago and is working in a pretty big hospital there. He's probably having a pretty bad time.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

That Works posted:

:smith:

One of my better friends at my last job was a Swiss MD who was doing research in my same lab. He works primarily on pulmonary stuff and went back to Switzerland a few years ago and is working in a pretty big hospital there. He's probably having a pretty bad time.

Right now it depends on what canton you're in, but yeah very soon he'll be up to his neck, it would seem.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

bollig posted:

The Swiss health ministry task force just gave one of the most insane press conferences I have ever witnessed.

this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsfACHnNRXI

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

I imagine so, I was reading transcriptions as it came out.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Comparing the most recent data of several popping european countries:

The most crazy part? The Belgium data STOPPED on the 19th on FT. Why? I don't know, maybe they think whatever Belgium is putting out is too unreliable.

https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-chart...=1&values=cases

bollig posted:

I imagine so, I was reading transcriptions as it came out.

their word choice is :discourse: getriebe-schaden, car transmission damage

e: their projections for when they run out of ICU beds

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 23, 2020

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
Remember during last night's debate when Trump was like "immunity lasts somewhere between 4 months and forever"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

It's really hard for a lot of people to grasp a concept like "wear a mask to protect others from you".

I wear an N95 to protect myself and did so from the beginning

There’s been enough evidence that lesser masks also provide a degree of protection to the wearer on top of the common sense conclusion that anything that stops you from directly inhaling globs of spit is probably helpful.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 23, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Not really a good sign when a bunch of Eastern European countries are back to exponential growth

I do recall a month or so ago, doctors were saying that they expected the Midwest to be the new hotspot, and sure enough it’s happening

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Every day we get closer to herd immunity.

:blessed:

no, we do not. but every day we get closer to complete contamination.

(herd immunity implies 85%+ of the population is inoculated and immune to the disease, and i know you may know this but im not letting it slip by anywhere i see it since we're about 0% of the way to achieving it)

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not really a good sign when a bunch of Eastern European countries are back to exponential growth

I do recall a month or so ago, doctors were saying that they expected the Midwest to be the new hotspot, and sure enough it’s happening

I hope seeing Smash Mouth was worth it to those idiots that went to Sturgis.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Feels right that Smash Mouth brought the Apocalypse one step closer.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fallom posted:

There’s been enough evidence that lesser masks also provide a degree of protection to the wearer on top of the common sense conclusion that anything that stops you from directly inhaling globs of spit is probably helpful.

Yeah masks and social distancing were never meant to perfectly protect everyone but everything and anything that gives some protection and cumulatively brings the viral reproduction value N0 of the community back towards and hopefully below 1 is helpful.

.... which is why it's so infuriating whenever you see anti-maskers going "No I'm standing 6 feet away you're perfectly safe!" no you dumb rear end in a top hat the 6 feet thing doesn't make you 100% safe arghjfglkernt

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

GolfHole posted:

no, we do not. but every day we get closer to complete contamination.

(herd immunity implies 85%+ of the population is inoculated and immune to the disease, and i know you may know this but im not letting it slip by anywhere i see it since we're about 0% of the way to achieving it)

I agree with you completely. Importantly, the only times Humanity has ever had herd immunity against anything was as a direct result of widespread and cheap vaccination campaigns. Before then diseases would scythe through populations on a semi-regular basis, taking their toll of dead every time. If you don't believe me, just ask Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity

SmashMouthQuoter
Mar 14, 2018

So much to do
So much to see

quote:

My world's on fire, how 'bout yours?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

bollig posted:

Toronto stopped doing contract tracing a few weeks ago because they were understaffed / overwhelmed. They also restricted testing because they could process them fast enough about a month ago. Since then our positivity rate has more than doubled to 4.5%. We currently have COVID outbreaks declared in 7 major hospitals in the city.

poo poo is about to get very real here, and people are angry at the government because they cancelled Halloween trick or treating next weekend.

:tif:

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Another Bill posted:

Toronto stopped doing contract tracing a few weeks ago because they were understaffed / overwhelmed. They also restricted testing because they could process them fast enough about a month ago. Since then our positivity rate has more than doubled to 4.5%. We currently have COVID outbreaks declared in 7 major hospitals in the city.

poo poo is about to get very real here, and people are angry at the government because they cancelled Halloween trick or treating next weekend.

:tif:

Is the economy so good in Canada they couldn't hire more tracers?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I hope seeing Smash Mouth was worth it to those idiots that went to Sturgis.

Imagine if they didn’t even play All Star.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

Imagine if they didn’t even play All Star.

somebody once told me
the roni's gonna own me

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
listen you guys; they ain't the sharpest tools in the shed

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
If Smish Mosh had sung “why can’t we wear masks” to the tune of “why can’t we be friends,” things would be looking different in the Midwest right now.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
middle of the country to the coasts 6 months ago: ha die hippies!

middle of the country right now: i've made a huge mistake

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

pro starcraft loser posted:

Is the economy so good in Canada they couldn't hire more tracers?

We have a Conservative provincial government and Mayor, they didn't want to spend the money. The mayor is begging the province for resources to help, but I think the horse has already left the barn.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Yeah Canton Bern is shutting poo poo down. Bars, clubs, theaters, museums and gyms are closed. No private events with more than 15 people.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

zer0spunk posted:

middle of the country to the coasts 6 months ago: ha die hippies!

middle of the country right now: we can't let fear rule our lives MA FREEDOMS OPEN 'ER U-*coughs directly into your minimum wage service face*

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Just for comparison, how likely were you to be involved in a terrorist attack versus die/ have long term symptoms from COVID? Because this all feels like post-9/11 Opposite Day.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Just for comparison, how likely were you to be involved in a terrorist attack versus die/ have long term symptoms from COVID?

Well, it varies. For example, if you're the governor of Michigan you're probably a LOT more likely to be involved in a terrorist attack.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well, it varies. For example, if you're the governor of Michigan you're probably a LOT more likely to be involved in a terrorist attack.

we need to come up with a minor and major leagues system of naming for these kinda weak sauce skoal lovin' domestic terrorists

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

bollig posted:

Watch me! I got it... Watch me! I got it...
HEY! I got somethin, that makes me wanna cough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ9CLOEOB5U

The tiniest sliver of a silver lining is that we're exactly where last week's press conference said we would be (I thought we'd be much worse). The COVID task force was already ringing the alarm bell last week and recommending strong measures then and today at least a few more cantons added stronger restrictions on gatherings, sports, masks, etc. Actions are starting to be taken at a local level (rather than a federal level) which is a positive step. The message from the feds seems to be, we do not want to shut things down again, so you loving shitheads have to stop spreading this goddamn virus. A bunch of new restrictions are coming into place tonight and this weekend, canton by canton, but like he said in the presser, the people who are going to test positive next Friday (estimated to be 12,000) are already infected so it will take a while for things to start working. At the moment we have a transmission rate of 1.6 which is just loving crazy (10 infected people will pass the virus on to 16 others) so the doctors and scientists are just begging people to stay home. It's still not official (shops/hair salons/restaurants/etc aren't being closed), so we'll see what happens.

The college where I work FINALLY agreed to switch to online classes and announced it in an email to everyone at 2pm on a Friday so there are a bunch of people who are probably really pissed off because we're holding classes on Monday. The school had told everyone at the start of term that we'd be face to face as long as possible and some people who weren't super smart doom-mongers like me actually believed we'd make it through the whole semester in person.

bollig posted:

Yeah Canton Bern is shutting poo poo down. Bars, clubs, theaters, museums and gyms are closed. No private events with more than 15 people.

Nice. I think this was announced while I was posting, I think (I loving HOPE) we'll see more restrictions like this over the weekend. Although before the mask requirements came into effect 2 weeks ago, my wife got an email from a cinema event space in Bern saying "This weekend is the last time you can visit without a mask! Bring your friends!" so we could have a bunch of "last chance to party" raves this weekend too.

greazeball fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 23, 2020

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

greazeball posted:

Nice. I think this was announced while I was posting, I think (I loving HOPE) we'll see more restrictions like this over the weekend. Although before the mask requirements came into effect 2 weeks ago, my wife got an email from a cinema event space in Bern saying "This weekend is the last time you can visit without a mask! Bring your friends!" so we could have a bunch of "last chance to party" raves this weekend too.

Yeah in Bern they quite specifically said that any parties/events booked this weekend can still go on so there's going to be so much of that. Maybe you, or someone who is better at the language(s), can explain Geneva's policy, where they are restricting public/private gatherings to 5 (I think) but then they are still allowing events of up to 1k? I could be misreading that and I may just not know what the word 'oeffentlich' actually means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

bollig posted:

Yeah in Bern they quite specifically said that any parties/events booked this weekend can still go on so there's going to be so much of that. Maybe you, or someone who is better at the language(s), can explain Geneva's policy, where they are restricting public/private gatherings to 5 (I think) but then they are still allowing events of up to 1k? I could be misreading that and I may just not know what the word 'oeffentlich' actually means.

I think it refers to spontaneous gatherings rather than organised events, which would in theory have contact tracing protocols and distance guidelines. In reality I think it's that the Genvois leadership is a bunch of small government dickheads elected by and governing for a small slice of the population there. There are a huge number of residents there who can't vote because they're not Swiss or they're only there temporarily, so anything that involves long-term planning or tax increases or any kind of discomfort for the business owners in town is kind of a lost cause. The minimum-wage bill they passed recently was a big surprise to me. There's also the border problem because a lot of people live in France and work in Geneva or live in Geneva and shop in France so they don't want to just push money over the border. So basically they're a bunch of do-nothing fuckwits in normal times and now they're going to do as little as possible because there will be no electoral consequences to just letting workers get sick.