Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leathal posted:

I greatly enjoyed Subnautica in VR but you need a surprisingly beefy system and a handful of VR quality of life mods. The various leviathans (or whatever they’re called) are scary as gently caress in VR.

Care to elaborate on recommended mods? I loved Subnautica in flat but vanilla vr was nigh unplayable for me. Probably mostly because of going from mouse & keyboard to poorly mapped knuckles, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Nice, the Quest 2 is in the #1 top seller spot for consoles/games on the australian Amazon. I've already spotted some people out and about with the headsets, and this is in bumfuck Brisbane. Hopefully the uptake rate here is a lot higher than the original quest.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Bad Munki posted:

Care to elaborate on recommended mods? I loved Subnautica in flat but vanilla vr was nigh unplayable for me. Probably mostly because of going from mouse & keyboard to poorly mapped knuckles, but still.

I just played it with a KB and mouse still. Worked well enough.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

nightwisher posted:

Nice, the Quest 2 is in the #1 top seller spot for consoles/games on the australian Amazon. I've already spotted some people out and about with the headsets, and this is in bumfuck Brisbane. Hopefully the uptake rate here is a lot higher than the original quest.

Sales are way above the Q1, yeah.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Nobody bought Population One and has some first impressions?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Bad Munki posted:

You might prefer the gamepad layout to the Knuckles, if you have one.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Tried the new link beta, increasing encoding to 500, 1.6 pixel override, (changing encode res width seems to have no effect right now. I changed it from everything from 500 to 3664 and the visuals didn't change once) and i'm blown away how much better everything looks, and no performance issues either so far. Loaded up Lone Echo to test out some deep space scenery to get the encoding to buckle, but no, it still looked crystal clear.

Very impressed, I can't wait until they roll out 90hz and tweak things a little more. There really was no point in keeping the rift line around if this is the quality a quest will do with PCVR in 2021.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Any tips for fogging lenses? I read to turn on the headset and leave it for 10 minutes to warm up so I'll try that.

The lenses start fogging up within a few minutes of playing Beat Saber.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Tom Guycot posted:

Tried the new link beta, increasing encoding to 500, 1.6 pixel override, (changing encode res width seems to have no effect right now. I changed it from everything from 500 to 3664 and the visuals didn't change once) and i'm blown away how much better everything looks, and no performance issues either so far. Loaded up Lone Echo to test out some deep space scenery to get the encoding to buckle, but no, it still looked crystal clear.

Very impressed, I can't wait until they roll out 90hz and tweak things a little more. There really was no point in keeping the rift line around if this is the quality a quest will do with PCVR in 2021.

if you’re willing to muck around in beta configs, why not just try enabling 90hz now?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Sales are way above the Q1, yeah.

I think PSVR has done 5 million units. That would be the benchmark to do for the Quest 2. Catching up with Sony.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ChocNitty posted:

I haven't, but from what I've read, it seems to be the type of game some people on this forum would call 'fake VR', with very abstract/arcade pickup mechanics and weapon aiming & inventory.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Turin Turambar posted:

I think PSVR has done 5 million units. That would be the benchmark to do for the Quest 2. Catching up with Sony.

Yep.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

how bad of an idea would a "standalone" x86 headset that iterates on the whole VR backpack idea be

essentially, instead of everything being inside the HMD itself, you'd have a HMD tethered to a "backpack" that's basically a non-opening, shielded laptop with arm straps

it seems workable enough with similar things that people jury-rig with their own laptops and backpacks, so something purpose-built along similar lines would also probably do OK.

You can strap a gaming laptop to an open-air backpack frame such as an ALICE frame.

Zotac, HP, and MSI all make VR backpacks, which are basically all overpriced gaming laptops with dual hot-swappable batteries and no screens.

I'm building a "full-featured" DIY VR backpack. People have done them before. You'd want as small a case as possible that can take a real GPU card, and a DC-DC converter that can convert a lithium-ion pack into an accurate, low-ripple 12.0 volts.

This is someone else's DIY VR which is similar to what I'm going for, I have the same case as him:

https://randomfoo.net/2016/05/30/diy-backpack-vr-system

The thing I'm stuck on right now is getting the right DC-DC converter. I have some batteries which are each 36v and would run the backpack for 1-2 hours each, but there's a very limited selection of DC-DC converters that can handle both the 36v input and supply the 500w peaks that I need. There is one in particular I'm eying that would work perfectly, but it's $278 before tax and would have to mount outside my case, so I'm making sure there's no other workarounds: https://hdplex.com/hdplex-800w-dc-atx-with-16v-63vdc-input.html

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

Zotac, HP, and MSI all make VR backpacks, which are basically all overpriced gaming laptops with dual hot-swappable batteries and no screens.

Did those even release to market? I thought they were all killed before they were even produced.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Romes128 posted:

Did those even release to market? I thought they were all killed before they were even produced.

They're all quite real:

Zotac: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CWXMR42

HP:
https://www.amazon.com/HP-Backpack-7MB17UT-i7-8850H-GeForce/dp/B086WPSFTN/

MSI:
https://www.amazon.com/Virtual-Reality-Backpack-PC-i7-7820HK-256GB/dp/B06XRFX1GZ

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 23, 2020

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Love strapping a computer to my back and loading up Blade Runner’s Apartment Experience in VRChat so I can finally know what it’s like to be the tortoise from the Voight-Kampff test, watching all the anime schoolgirls walk by and stare at me as I die.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm going to throw out the unpopular opinion that I love "fake VR" games and I would kill to have more flat screen AAA titles ported to VR, even without motion controls. Sometimes preferably. Don't get me wrong. I love well done VR games that take full advantage of the platform, but tbh stuff like RE7 and Alien Isolation are extremely my poo poo, and I really wish more games would just do ports like that. AAA production is so few and far between in VR games and I feel like games like that, where I can just sit back and use a controller, aim with my head and enjoy the spectacle of being surrounded in the world, being wowed by the scale, graphics, sense of place, and 3D without the baggage of VR jank are bliss. Not to mention playing things that are more than an hour long.

Tbh I hate that the VR community off writes off everything like that, to the point where it seems like developers don't even bother because they don't want to deal with the backlash of people complaining about how they don't get to slap their controllers together awkwardly to reload a gun or die while trying to mimic throwing a grenade. Sometimes I just want to play my favorite games in a HMD and it sucks how few games have even tried VR updates.

I know your post wasn't even meant to criticize "fake VR" it just reminded me of something I've been thinking about.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Payday 2 is my favorite fake VR game.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

veni veni veni posted:

Tbh I hate that the VR community off writes off everything like that, to the point where it seems like developers don't even bother because they don't want to deal with the backlash of people complaining about how they don't get to slap their controllers together awkwardly to reload a gun or die while trying to mimic throwing a grenade. Sometimes I just want to play my favorite games in a HMD and it sucks how few games have even tried VR updates.

is this actually happening? i know Gamers are the loving worst, but lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I kind of feel like it is sometimes. Maybe I'm just projecting, because I see people criticize stuff for taking tiny shortcuts when I'd be perfectly happy playing basic rear end VR ports of games I like and wish I had more options like that.

At the same time I get why games that were developed around VR and don't do it well are disappointing. *cough* Asgards Wrath.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Oculus Quest 2 is selling "beyond what we expected" says Facebook

quote:

Facebook's Director of Content Ecosystem at Oculus, Chris Pruett, seemed very pleased in his interview with Protocol Gaming, regarding the unprecedented success of the Quest 2. He notes that the ream "really couldn’t be happier" that not only were the sales “maybe a little bit beyond what we expected,” but that they were selling much faster.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tom Guycot posted:

In all seriousness, Fresnel lenses don't by their nature have bad sweet spots. If you look at something newer an index, quest 2, rift s, they use fresnel lenses but have a sweet spot that lets you look all across the field of view with your eyes.

I don't know what your Index is doing that mine isn't but the sweet spot is pretty bad on it, it's actually annoying trying to the keep the thing in place just to have my forward direction be as clear as possible, the edges are blurred/godrayed to poo poo.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

mediaphage posted:

if you’re willing to muck around in beta configs, why not just try enabling 90hz now?

90Hz hard crashes link right now. Works fine on every game I've tried and virtual desktop though.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

I know your post wasn't even meant to criticize "fake VR" it just reminded me of something I've been thinking about.

companies don't give.a poo poo about what whiny babies on the internet are saying, they only care about profits. if people aren't making vr its because the market isn't big enough yet, not because three hardcore vr enthusiasts said their port isnt good

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tom Guycot posted:

Tried the new link beta, increasing encoding to 500, 1.6 pixel override,

What's your gpu? I want to know if different gpus have different encoding limits.
Isn't 1.6 a lot? It's a 60% supersampling.

edit: this reddit post seems relevant, too
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/jgfoco/oculus_link_bitrate_settings_latency/
Computer specs: Ryzen 7 2700X, RTX 2070 Super 8GB, 16GB DDR4-3200
Beat Saber settings: 1.0 supersampling, anti-aliasing disabled, all effects disabled
Oculus Debug Tool settings: 0 Pixels Per Display Override, Default Distortion Curvature, 3664 Encode Resolution Width

And comparison with Quest 1 and a native headset

edit: reminder that VD latency meter is different, and not comparable. See also this post by a Oculus dev

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 23, 2020

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Got my Q2 today. Love the screen! It's super crisp. The little decrease in weight makes moving my head around feel less awkward. Elite strap made a nice difference and I hope it won't break. I'd like a less scratchy feeling face pad.

Really don't like the controller changes and am disappointed with the FOV. I'm right between 2 and 3 for my IPD and in either setting I see the flat edge of the screen on the far left and right sides. Using the glasses spacer helps since the closer you get to the eye pieces the more the edge stands out. It was very noticeable in Beat Saber that I wasn't seeing as much to the sides. This video explains it. https://youtu.be/7JvzlvR0_R4?t=210

My hands are kinda big and don't fit the controller well with the little changes they made. Thankfully my magnetic flight stick grip things fit so that gives me more to hold, but the lower position of the grip button and wide base of the main buttons is really uncomfortable. It aggravates an old hand injury and the Q1 didn't.

But, for the screen clarity and especially how much better it works with VD I think I'll hold on to it. I'm hoping the Link issues get smoothed out soon since some games just work better control wise for me with it than with VD (Ultrawings primarily). It also tracks way better in low light than the Q1.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Turin Turambar posted:

What's your gpu? I want to know if different gpus have different encoding limits.
Isn't 1.6 a lot? It's a 60% supersampling.

Thats a good point, I've got a 3080, I think I used 1.6 because I saw that somewhere in an article about the link update. Yeah though, i suppose those results are more representative of the upper half of GPU performance.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tom Guycot posted:

Thats a good point, I've got a 3080, I think I used 1.6 because I saw that somewhere in an article about the link update. Yeah though, i suppose those results are more representative of the upper half of GPU performance.

With that gpu you can put 1.6 yeah... I wonder what I can use.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Turin Turambar posted:

With that gpu you can put 1.6 yeah... I wonder what I can use.

It'll depend on the game. H3VR I was running 1.5 and still had tons of headroom with a 2080S, I think my frame timing was like 6ms and I need to keep it under 13.5. Keep in mind right now via link you only need to hit 72fps, which isn't that high of a target.

For your Beat Saber/SuperHot type games a 2070 will probably push those pixels fine.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Viveport works pretty well, everything runs through Steam VR so I had no problem playing with Virtual Desktop. It's kind of deceptive though because Walking Dead isn't included with the monthly version, you have to buy an annual pass but there's no indication of that until you've already signed up. Just started playing Vertigo and I think I'll also check out Crisis Vrigade 2 and Moss but I doubt I'll sign up for more than a month.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Viveport works pretty well, everything runs through Steam VR so I had no problem playing with Virtual Desktop. It's kind of deceptive though because Walking Dead isn't included with the monthly version, you have to buy an annual pass but there's no indication of that until you've already signed up. Just started playing Vertigo and I think I'll also check out Crisis Vrigade 2 and Moss but I doubt I'll sign up for more than a month.

Wha? Is there a page anywhere that shows what doesn't come in the monthly? That's weird.

Edit: Upon some research, the Walking Dead game you get forever if you have an annual sub, it's some special one-time thing. But its also over? I don't know why it's still on their frontpage.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 23, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
A new PCVR headset has popped into existence overnight from well-known technological company... *checks notes* Megadodo?

quote:

The DecaGear headset is claimed to have a 2,160 × 2,160 (4.6MP) per-eye resolution at 90Hz (which would match the class-leading Reverb G2), IPD adjustment, face-tracking with two inward-facing cameras, motion controllers with finger-tracking, four camera inside-out tracking, and full support for SteamVR content. All supposedly for just $450. The company says the face-tracking feature would be ideally suited for social VR content like VRChat, and presumably also the company’s own D.E.C.A VR MMO.

There's some youtube videos supposedly demo'ing it, but the general smell test seems to lean towards a scam. I'm inclined to agree personally, but wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjun1PahYxw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwVZp0GdB7U

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

The DecaGear headset

Sorry, but that name sounds like a fictional scifi VR headset from some anime about the main character being isekai'ed into the VR MMO world.

edit: lol, it should be a hit in VRChat...

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 23, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

Sorry, but that name sounds like a fictional scifi VR headset from some anime about the main character being isekai'ed into the VR MMO world.

Oh good, I'm not the only one who was thinking that then.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Subjunctive posted:

Why would you do x86? All the VR software you care about was written in the last 5 years and runs on standard engines. You don’t have to worry about crufty enterpriseware for which no working compiler exists, calling out to amber-preserved Win16 thunks.

ARM has an enormous advantage for battery-powered applications, even if you don’t get to use Apple’s black magic Silicon.

Years before the Quest when we talked to AMD’s semi-custom group about VR “consoles”, it was assumed that for anything actually portable we’d do ARM instead. I don’t think even AMD would have argued about it in an energetic way.

the problem with this is that the Qualcomm Snapdragon chips that give you more-than-Quest-1 power were partially developed by Oculus and it is very, very unlikely that anyone else will get to make a standalone with them for the foreseeable future.

so if you were making a theoretical Quest 2 competitor and even wanted parity with Q2, let alone to surpass it, you'd need x86 simply because the equivalent ARM solutions are just straight up not available. and x86 means heat, bulk, and power inefficiency, which would make it incredibly impractical for the setup to all live in the HMD... but essentially wearing a screenless laptop on your back with a tether would probably work fine, and it's mildly heartening that that exists.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

ChocNitty posted:

I'm really enjoying it on the Quest. It's basically VR Fortnite where you can climb anything and have a wing suit. Make your purchasing decision based on whether or not that sounds like fun to you. There's lots of of verticality and freedom of movement. The VR interactions are fine, but not on the level of e.g. Echo Combat or Pavlov. It was clearly designed to make it easy for flat-screen players to jump into VR, as opposed to complete immersion. The developers also added cross-buy after getting pushback about not having it, if that's a concern.

It's pretty amazing that it runs so smoothly on the Quest. On PC VR the graphics might be worse than comparable games though. I think it was developed with the Quest in mind, like the Onward update that PC VR players were upset over. But on the Quest it's fantastic.

EDIT: The one really bizarre negative thing that I'd note about the game is that you have to unlock the character models for different genders and races as you level up. You only start with the white guy as an option. So while it is good that the developers provided those options for players, it's jarring that they need to be unlocked, especially in VR. All of the basic character models should really be unlocked from the start so that players can choose whatever character model they feel the most comfortable with as soon as they begin playing the game. Making them unlocks is a strange (and bad) choice.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 23, 2020

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A new PCVR headset has popped into existence overnight from well-known technological company... *checks notes* Megadodo?

There's some youtube videos supposedly demo'ing it, but the general smell test seems to lean towards a scam. I'm inclined to agree personally, but wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjun1PahYxw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwVZp0GdB7U

Would be neat if it doesn't turn out to be some kind of scam, but my god... why would you ever choose that as your sizzle reel for face tracking? It looks horific and worse than just a lip sync animation system.

Like, the creepy star citizen face tracking looks way better than that demo reel.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

the problem with this is that the Qualcomm Snapdragon chips that give you more-than-Quest-1 power were partially developed by Oculus and it is very, very unlikely that anyone else will get to make a standalone with them for the foreseeable future.

so if you were making a theoretical Quest 2 competitor and even wanted parity with Q2, let alone to surpass it, you'd need x86 simply because the equivalent ARM solutions are just straight up not available. and x86 means heat, bulk, and power inefficiency, which would make it incredibly impractical for the setup to all live in the HMD... but essentially wearing a screenless laptop on your back with a tether would probably work fine, and it's mildly heartening that that exists.

I don't think oculus had any part in designing the chip, beyond (according to carmack in his talk) coming to them several years ago asking what kind of things they would want in a dedicated VR chip. I know theres also a lot of announced companies using the same chip and I believe the new vive focus thats already out uses it too.

I think the bigger question is if any of these companies using the new xr2 chip can come close to their price point. Like, the vive focus is something like, $800 bucks, for the 835 version.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

How populated is it? I know the maps are smaller, is it enough to get into games quicky?

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Lockback posted:

How populated is it? I know the maps are smaller, is it enough to get into games quicky?

So far I haven’t had any issues and games start very quickly, but it did just launch yesterday. TBD on how the player population holds up long term. On the daily leaderboard I was only #1,800-something with a bunch of wins, so the population seems good so far.

EDIT: I do expect that the population will good at least through the holidays. The Quest 2 looks like it’s going to be big for Christmas, and VR Fortnite seems like a no brainer for any kid that just got a new headset.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

the problem with this is that the Qualcomm Snapdragon chips that give you more-than-Quest-1 power were partially developed by Oculus and it is very, very unlikely that anyone else will get to make a standalone with them for the foreseeable future

This makes it very much sound like Qualcomm is expecting others to buy the XR2:

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/releases/2020/09/16/qualcomm-snapdragon-xr2-platform-commercially-debuts-oculus-quest-2

quote:

“We built the Snapdragon XR2 Platform from the ground up and designed it to push the boundaries of what is possible in XR and enable our customers to create a new generation of experiences and devices,” said Hugo Swart, VP and head of XR, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc.

They even sell a reference platform based on it: https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon-xr2-5g-platform

Oculus, even with Facebook’s broader help, isn’t really a chip-design juggernaut, so I’d be surprised if their useful contributions were much more than “these kinds of acceleration or control modes would be handy”. Oculus could maybe have done enough 2uest volume to get a semicustom deal, but didn’t think Qualcomm did that sort of thing (like AMD does for PS/Xbox).

And, of course, there’s Apple. They seem to be stuck off in the AR space, but that’s by their choice and not some inherent limitation.