Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They already showed up the government on public health by locking down when Johnson was still in take it on the chin mode.

274 was the Year of the Consulship of Aurelianus and Capitolinus, Latin for golden butthole and capitalism.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Unfortunately all the corporations piling in to providing food is just privatisation of food provision only the companies are getting rewarded in easy PR rather than income. Tories outside the government can point to how private enterprise steps up to cover for government failings while McDs gets more brand familiarity and goodwill from stressed enpoverished parents - who are most vulnerable to the addictive natures of fast foods.

Honestly I suspect all of these meals losses will come out of the advertising budget.

namesake fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 23, 2020

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah but we're not talking legit-but-only-just stuff like that, we're talking specifically about structuring of cash and asset ownership such that it's out of reach and sight of the law of the host country. The UK has a big financial services industry which is legit by the admittedly low standards of international finance, its use for brass-plate companies and associated money-laundering through property is, while legal in the UK, only of use to people who are breaking the law in their home country, and unrelated to the fact that Lloyd's List happens to be published here. Of course the UK-based financial industry have enthusiastically jumped on the bandwagon but that's effect, not cause.

David Cameron's dad wasn't routing his estate through a company in Panama because Panama happens to be a world leader in estate management, or even because of a deep and abiding love of civil engineering megaprojects, he was doing it because it put his money out of the reach of HMRC. "Retired" KGB officers and Arabian failprinces aren't buying up swathes of property across the UK because the UK is expert in housebuilding (believe me), but because the ongoing bubble (that they're helping to inflate of course) makes the old land-swap money laundering technique actually profitable. Amazon, Apple et. al. aren't all "headquartered" in Dublin because Ireland has a long history of expertise in small electronics and mail order, etc etc etc ad nauseum.

It would be rightly pointed out that, if not Panama, then an estate management office would still not be in some actual physical part of some real estate asset of the estate, but in the relevant country's financial centre - which could be hundreds of miles away anyway. At which point the subtle distinction between managing things from a distance in London and managing things from a distance in Panama City would be lost on some. To that extent, there is actually a credible argument to be made that that it's possible to base an industrial cluster on a specific financial service (especially services involving the financing of international transactions, which the host country of a major shipping canal would face in vast quantities anyway. Certainly with more reason than Luxembourg). As Davies points out, some have been more successful than others.

It is also true, at the same time, that there's a great deal of shenanigans re: taxes. It's not usually straight-up money laundering, which is generally not a profitable activity in itself (rule of thumb for politically exposed persons is that maybe a third to a fifth of face value is lost in the process of moving vulnerable assets, don't ask me where I learnt that - being lost, specifically, to host country nationals. How equitable the receipt of this windfall is depends on the host country's own policies). Rather, the shenanigans involved is duplicity in how the host country enforces transfer pricing evaluations - e.g. the Irish tax-avoidance strategy rests on Ireland allowing laughable evaluations of assets transferred to the Irish entity - and, critically, these evaluations are recognized by the source country territory. Ireland itself allows this because it gets something out of it (Shamrock felines, or something). The source country itself is fully aware of the shenanigans but has some ancillary interest in allowing it (as Davies highlights). This last point is worth especial emphasis - all this goes on because source countries allow it, for various reasons, and equally have moved to allow or disallow more of it as geopolitical objectives have shifted over the decades.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Right now the Tory strategy seems to be just playing to the 40% of the country that are pure spite and hatred. People not only spiteful to you and I but to themselves and even their own families. The people who'll post that their mother worked two jobs to feed a family of three kids and no partner so gently caress everyone else. People who say that they suffered so you suffer. People so unwilling to look at the reality of the situation and just moralise about what you should have done.

The Tories are tapping into this country's thick undercurrent of Lizard Brained Cunts.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

I wonder if any of the journalists who post stuff like "new levels of political incompetence", "terrible optics for government", "unbelievably bad policy decisions" etc. ever stop to wonder why 40% of the country still votes for the fuckers. And then realises it's literally because of how corrupt their profession is and how unwilling or unable they are to hold power to account.

Gonzo McFee posted:

The people who'll post that their mother worked two jobs to feed a family of three kids and no partner so gently caress everyone else.

MY MOTHER WORKED TWO JOBS TO FEED HER STARVING KIDS AND DIED AT 52 FROM ASBESTOSIS AND NEVER GOT NO HELP FROM NOBODY.

What about me? Yeah I went to uni back when it was free, walked into a decent job when there were plenty about and bought a house back when they were dirt cheap. I'm pretty much set, never really had it hard. But everyone else should be like my mother. Not like me.

jabby fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 23, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Wes Streeting now the most conflicted man in the country.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

namesake posted:

Honestly I suspect all of these meals losses will come out of the advertising budget.

So everyone wins.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

sassassin posted:

So everyone wins.

Not really, the government has offloaded an essential government function to a private company without particularly burdening the company to do anything different. The public absolutely loses here even if hunger is temporarily abated.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

gh0stpinballa posted:

idk how significant they are, but one of them has gone on to talking about their royalties from verso and the statesman now, lol

i will update if anything new happens

in which case I'm confused why you're describing them as "leftists"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

jabby posted:

MY MOTHER WORKED TWO JOBS TO FEED HER STARVING KIDS AND DIED AT 52 FROM ASBESTOSIS AND NEVER GOT NO HELP FROM NOBODY.

What about me? Yeah I went to uni back when it was free, walked into a decent job when there were plenty about and bought a house back when they were dirt cheap. I'm pretty much set, never really had it hard. But everyone else should be like my mother. Not like me.

Ah but they didn't get the bins taken out for six weeks back in the 70's. Did you ever think of that? Naw, ye didnae.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

namesake posted:

Not really, the government has offloaded an essential government function to a private company without particularly burdening the company to do anything different. The public absolutely loses here even if hunger is temporarily abated.

Eh, the public still loses less than if McDonalds hadn't done it.

And as good as the publicity is for them, it throws further bad publicity on the government.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Ah but they didn't get the bins taken out for six weeks back in the 70's. Did you ever think of that? Naw, ye didnae.

My daughter is 9 months old, I swear if she ever uses "I lived through Covid" as an excuse for voting in a bunch of cunts when she's old I'm gonna come back and haunt her.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

jabby posted:

I don't think voters are inherently averse to this idea because I don't think most people walk around developing opinions about the benefits system. The idea of "fairness" to those in work taking precedence over ability to survive on benefits was embraced by New Labour, by the tabloids, by the Tories, and basically foisted onto the public via false equivalence.

Specifically, the word you use "representative". The benefit cap does not take into account number of children, proportion of income going in rent, local cost of living, etc. etc. so it does not limit people to what a "representative" household would earn. I strongly doubt the majority of voters have considered this.

So yeah, you shouldn't frame it as the Tories "realising" that voters hate people on benefits. That's the ideology of the ruling class that has been pushed onto voters through the media, through deception, and by taking advantage of ignorance and apathy.

re: the bolded - yes, I have argued before that median voters harbour contradictory demands that would make Walt Whitman proud. This empowers those who can set the agenda, as they can control the way the question is posed. The benefit cap is hence indeed harsh due to not taking personal circumstances into account, even though voters would generally support taking personal circumstances into account when these scenarios are brought to the forefront

This is well-studied in crime and immigration policy, where people have very specific visions for appropriate fees, penalties, policies, etc. that 1) contradict each other or 2) contradict observed reality (e.g. feeling that punishment is "too lenient" whilst also feeling that the optimal sentencing are some set of measures that are actually considerably more lenient than what already exists) - my read is that this is also true in welfare policy, and I also sense that both LAB and CON are behaving as if internal surveys are telling them as much (and having been doing so since 2015 at least)

ronya fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 23, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Bah, humbug.

Can't believe nobody said it yet.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

ronya posted:

re: the bolded - yes, I have argued before that median voters harbour contradictory demands that would make Walt Whitman proud. This empowers those who can set the agenda, as they can control the way the question is posed. The benefit cap is hence indeed harsh due to not taking personal circumstances into account, even though voters would generally support taking personal circumstances into account when these scenarios are brought to the forefront

This is well-studied in crime and immigration policy, where people have very specific visions for appropriate fees, penalties, policies, etc. that 1) contradict each other or 2) contradict observed reality (e.g. feeling that punishment is "too lenient" whilst also feeling that the optimal sentencing are some set of measures that are actually considerably more lenient than what already exists) - my read is that this is also true in welfare policy, and I also sense that both LAB and CON are behaving as if internal surveys are telling them as much (and having been doing so since 2015 at least)

The public doesn't inherently harbour contradictory opinions, they have contradictory opinions because much of what they're told by those in power is contradictory because it's lies.

In so much as people do have an opinion about something like the benefits system, if you actually sat with them and discussed it at length and laid out the details of how it works, most would come to an opinion that makes sense and would not include the brutal Tory policies people vote for.

The idea that people support stuff like the benefit cap comes about partly because nobody actually does explain it truthfully and in detail, and partly because there's a feedback loop between the media and 'public opinion' as inferred from polls in which (as you rightly say) the question is posed in such a way as to get a particular answer. The public's true opinion matters little, if at all, beyond how it can be manipulated.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

jabby posted:

The public doesn't inherently harbour contradictory opinions, they have contradictory opinions because much of what they're told by those in power is contradictory because it's lies.

In so much as people do have an opinion about something like the benefits system, if you actually sat with them and discussed it at length and laid out the details of how it works, most would come to an opinion that makes sense and would not include the brutal Tory policies people vote for.

The idea that people support stuff like the benefit cap comes about partly because nobody actually does explain it truthfully and in detail, and partly because there's a feedback loop between the media and 'public opinion' as inferred from polls in which (as you rightly say) the question is posed in such a way as to get a particular answer.

Yes the voter base isn't followed by the party, the voter base is created by material considerations like propaganda and class. The will of the people is not a latent expression of natural or innate beliefs but is a reflection of what they experience, what they are told and what they are rewarded for doing and so is as constructed as much as society is.

Losers appeal to voters, winners tell them what's wrong with their lives/articulate the source of their woes in a way they understand and then how they can be fixed.

This is why Miliband sucked in 2015 despite polling well and why Starmer won't do any better.

namesake fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 23, 2020

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Every time I read someone on Twitter saying "it's not the role of the state to feed kids!" I picture Mr Bumble ladling out gruel to orphans in the workhouse and remember that was literally the state feeding kids, in Victorian times, in a Dickens novel, and the man feeding them was the villain because he wasn't feeding them more.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

jabby posted:

Every time I read someone on Twitter saying "it's not the role of the state to feed kids!" I picture Mr Bumble ladling out gruel to orphans in the workhouse and remember that was literally the state feeding kids, in Victorian times, in a Dickens novel, and the man feeding them was the villain because he wasn't feeding them more.

They're just taking the seasonally appropriate attitude and talking about reducing the surplus population as a good thing.

Christ I hope they're visited by the three spectres of communism.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

I'm just sad that where I grew up nobody played D&D or any other TTRPGs.
I think I've managed to play more in the last few months thanks to lockdown and the rise of video calling than I have in the last ten years.

I would be pretty interested to hear the pod do an RPG but maybe not D&D. Paranoia maybe?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

namesake posted:

Christ I hope they're visited by the three spectres of communism.

Who would be the ghosts spectres of communism past, present and future?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Who would be the ghosts spectres of communism past, present and future?

All three are just me with a knife taped to a hammer I call the Super Chib.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

jabby posted:

The idea that people support stuff like the benefit cap comes about partly because nobody actually does explain it truthfully and in detail, and partly because there's a feedback loop between the media and 'public opinion' as inferred from polls in which (as you rightly say) the question is posed in such a way as to get a particular answer. The public's true opinion matters little, if at all, beyond how it can be manipulated.

I don't think most people would come to an opinion that makes sense - at least, not without hours of learning about current policies, justifications, alternatives tried in the past, how it reflects on the wider economy, etc. Policy nitty-gritty like this is complicated, and requires you to spend plenty of time understanding it - there's a reason we have a a whole professional class around writing and implementing these policies. The problem is as the demands on the government's role in society and the scope of their response have grown, the level on which the media explains and people comprehend and make judgements about society has not. Hence bad actors pointing out differences that fit their ideological worldview and get them power.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/MirrorPolitics/status/1319665196927979525

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Disco Elysium is very good, usually I'm not a fan of rpg's or reading pages and pages of dialogue, but I loved DE. The absolute first section made me question if this was the right game for me, but when you start properly its very funny and made me reflect on my actual, real life. True art!

If you want to donate some money for food https://fareshare.org.uk/donate/ is a good un.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

jabby posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1319283406971154434

Greetings from Gammon Twitter, 2020: https://mobile.twitter.com/StevenMaynard2/status/1319642060475990019

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Home secretary inciting terrorism in our normal country

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1319655781202055170

quote:

He allegedly blamed lawyers at the firm for preventing the removal of immigrants from the UK.

Days earlier the home secretary, Priti Patel, had claimed activist lawyers were frustrating the removal of refused asylum seekers from the UK.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

72 to 1 is quite the ratio

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Interesting map of Northumbria that doesn't include Edinburgh.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

OwlFancier posted:

yeah it only held it about half the time it was constant back and forth over that land with the Scots/Picts/Britains

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
and they weren't about to partition another county up in their rebellion

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

justcola posted:

Disco Elysium is very good, usually I'm not a fan of rpg's or reading pages and pages of dialogue, but I loved DE. The absolute first section made me question if this was the right game for me, but when you start properly its very funny and made me reflect on my actual, real life. True art!

If you want to donate some money for food https://fareshare.org.uk/donate/ is a good un.

Yeah same. I bounced off Planescape: Torment twice, which is supposed to be the next nearest game to DE.

DE is very philosophically deep but also very funny, emotional and engrossing. It's just really excellently made and written.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

hemale in pain posted:

Why do the British media seem pro trump at the moment? I watched some poo poo on ITV yesterday where they mostly interviewed pro trump people and just let the lies go unquestioned. The voice over even said multiple times about how trump is good for the economy. I also just watched a bit on the BBC about how trump was good at the debate and they VERY selectively showed clips of him and didn't mention the racism or rambling lies. They then interviewed a republican who did the normal lies about how lockdown bad, trump good, oil good etc etc but didn't have anyone pro-biden on.

This isn't even pretending to be impartial

A few pages back, but this might be of interest to folk here. There's a (very good) 3 part documentary airing on the BBC right now called the Trump Show, and one of the people involved in it is absolutely raging at the BBC right now. The programme has been in production for a while, but thry said that they started getting a whole load of notes from BBC upper echelons just in the last few weeks and even right up to broadcast about how they needed to be less critical of trump because the documentary was "too negative about trump" and therefore was "unbalanced."
The heart of the doc is various interviews with people who are/were in trump's circle (rudy guilliani, Sean spicer, Steve bannon) along with people like stormy Daniels and Michael Wolfe, and while their contributions are of course all framed by the programme makers the narrative itself is a pretty straightforward chronology of events.

Their sense is that the new DG is very deliberately pushing for a more Conservative/tory friendly culture when it comes to current affairs programming, and specifically "more amenable to the telegraph" (that's a quote from the program maker, not the BBC!)

Fwiw this person has made programmes for the BBC (and Channel 4) in the past and has never had to have had such a fight over balance/presentation and is really, really pissed off at the BBC right now for causing a poo poo load of stress at the last possible moment as well as the obvious politicisation

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

The whole point of this new Northumbria is not being English.

Increasingly in urban Africa hunger looks like obesity, because a lot of the cheaper food there is calorie dense but poo poo for nutrition (like turkey tails after Samoa banned the US dumping them on them), so to eat enough to not be malnourished you end up obese.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

jabby posted:

People do, in that they resort to heuristics and mental shortcuts to make sense of the world happening around them and these can have contradictory outputs or defects which can be exploited. If you get people to slow down and think more carefully, they do arrive at consistent rational answers. This means there's a massive commercial and political advantage to be gained by keeping people consistently on the hop, so nobody has the liberty of thinking things through anymore.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
Complete side track but wasn't there meant to be a new Adam Curtis this summer? I'm guessing that was delayed, but not heard anything at all about it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bustin keaton posted:

Complete side track but wasn't there meant to be a new Adam Curtis this summer? I'm guessing that was delayed, but not heard anything at all about it.

It's being played out as immersive theatre on a global scale

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

The Harrying of the North didn't go far enough imo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Is the Northumbria thing technically irredentism, or just brainworms? And is there some GRU intern managing that account?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
"I'm divorcing you! But I can still come round for sex whenever I want, right?"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/23/uk-presses-for-use-of-faster-passport-gates-at-eu-airports-post-brexit

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Is the Northumbria thing technically irredentism, or just brainworms? And is there some GRU intern managing that account?
It's a map of the Tripartite Indenture in 1405, and also the correct choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ngl I'm looking forward to passing by some gammon in the slow passport lane and giving them the finger while holding my Irish passport