Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

KariOhki posted:

I've never seen a female protagonist as full of dumb energy as Rinku. Usually they have at least some thought processes running.

Yoshiko from Aho-girl has no brain at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

KariOhki posted:

D4DJ First Mix aired its first episode online as a "preview" today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkRrkmdZ7Mk (turn on CC for subtitles)

I've never seen a female protagonist as full of dumb energy as Rinku. Usually they have at least some thought processes running.

it's very cool seeing MOGRA in the credits for an anime

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I can't believe people bounce off of Nana. It's got a great cat and mouse thing going.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Started watching Kamisama ni Natta Hi and I'm really enjoying it.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i appreciate that jun maeda is still living in 2006 and writing anime accordingly but i have 0 faith in him to write a show with a satisfying shoe drop

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
"The Day I became a God" is a great title but I dropped it a few minutes into ep 2 because it is neither funny nor poignant nor does the mystery box seem worth opening.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I'm watching way too many shows, time to drop some.

Assault Lily: As generic as the premise made it sound, not sure why I watched this in the first place.

Gochuumon S3: I remember kind of liking the first two seasons, but this one is doing nothing for me.

Yashahime: I love the throwback art style and character designs, but the writing just isn't that good, and the dense Inuyasha lore makes it hard to follow.

Hypnosis Mic: The rap bits are surprisingly decent, the problem is that every sixty-second rap scene is sandwiched by ten minutes of mediocre bishie show.

Ikebukuro West Gate Park: Bland and predictable. Feels really dated too, which makes sense considering it's based on a 20+ year old series of novels.

Maesetsu: Not the least funny comedy I've watched this year, but definitely expected more laughs per minute from a comedy about comedy.

On the fence:

Ochikobore Fruit Tart: Cute and inoffensive, but just not that funny.

Kamisama ni Natta Hi: Surprisingly fun first episode, but not sure if it can sustain this kind of high paced comedy while also dealing with the end-of-the-world plot.

Higurashi: The art and animation suck, the crappy VN music during some scenes is annoying, and the time loop (?) plot does not inspire confidence. Will keep watching for now to see where it'll go, but expectations are low.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I've watched the first two episodes of Sleepy Princess, and I think I'm sticking with it just to see how far they can stretch this dumb loving premise. :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlternateNu posted:

I've watched the first two episodes of Sleepy Princess, and I think I'm sticking with it just to see how far they can stretch this dumb loving premise. :allears:

I actually just did the same and I swear the princess is the most evil thing in that castle, goddamn :stare:.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tales of Woe posted:

i appreciate that jun maeda is still living in 2006 and writing anime accordingly but i have 0 faith in him to write a show with a satisfying shoe drop

What sort of shoe drop are you envisioning? I think they've been pretty up front with the plot and stakes in the first episode, and the second episode makes it clear that his family has a connection to the gods apart from Odin.

Presumably this is all a lead up to Ragnarok, the end of which, in the norse mythology, has two humans repopulating the earth, and it's clear who those would be

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 23, 2020

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

cave emperor posted:

Higurashi: The art and animation suck, the crappy VN music during some scenes is annoying, and the time loop (?) plot does not inspire confidence. Will keep watching for now to see where it'll go, but expectations are low.

literally none of the music in higurashi is from the vns, it's all composed by kenji kawai. some of it is even reused from the old anime

also the plot as it's been presented so far basically only holds any meaning if you've read or watched the original. i don't really know why they advertised it as a thing you could jump into fresh because, uh, you shouldn't

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'the art and animation in higurashi suck'

???

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I actually just did the same and I swear the princess is the most evil thing in that castle, goddamn :stare:.

The title is something like good night demon girl so I think this is the central conceit of the series.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

'the art and animation in higurashi suck'

???

it's a common sentiment and i don't understand why... gou is way more expressively drawn and animated than the old show was, even the stiffer shots still have a fair amount of character to them...

i think a part of it is just that akio watanabe designed the cast to be somewhat cleaner, more easy to animate versions of their original designs, rather than kinda redesigning them like most stuff does, so everyone looks just as goofy as they did in the original vn

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 23, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CrazySalamander posted:

The title is something like good night demon girl so I think this is the central conceit of the series.

Every time you see her eyes go cat-like it's like you're watching one of those drama scenes with a serial killer sitting calmly in the room with their next victim :ohdear:.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I actually really appreciate that Higurashi is willing to just have site gags and funny faces be a part of normal scene, and not pausing everything to make sure you saw the funny face. Animation is fine.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Terrible Opinions posted:

I actually really appreciate that Higurashi is willing to just have site gags and funny faces be a part of normal scene, and not pausing everything to make sure you saw the funny face. Animation is fine.

Now I'm imagining Shinpachi crossing over from Gintama and Kramering onto the screen every time someone makes a funny face to freak out about it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

CrazySalamander posted:

lol. 魔王城でおやすみ translates to "Goodnight at the Demon Castle." Don't confuse 城 (jou) with 女 (jo).

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

AlternateNu posted:

lol. 魔王城でおやすみ translates to "Goodnight at the Demon Castle." Don't confuse 城 (jou) with 女 (jo).

Is that meant to be a pun, then? Because I thought 'maoujou' was a term that meant something like 'magic princess' or 'demon princess'.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The Colonel posted:

it's a common sentiment and i don't understand why... gou is way more expressively drawn and animated than the old show was, even the stiffer shots still have a fair amount of character to them...

i think a part of it is just that akio watanabe designed the cast to be somewhat cleaner, more easy to animate versions of their original designs, rather than kinda redesigning them like most stuff does, so everyone looks just as goofy as they did in the original vn

Probably because it starts off kinda off-model

It seems to get rather better later.

I like Ryuukishi07's original art style and I'd love to see an anime use it whole cloth

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

came here to post this :v:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Maxwell Adams posted:

Is that meant to be a pun, then? Because I thought 'maoujou' was a term that meant something like 'magic princess' or 'demon princess'.

I think you’re thinking of majo which is witch? Again, jo is not the same as jou.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Strange Quark posted:

I think you’re thinking of majo which is witch? Again, jo is not the same as jou.

I think I'm thinking of 'oujou', a prounoun for a young lady from a noble family.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Maxwell Adams posted:

I think I'm thinking of 'oujou', a prounoun for a young lady from a noble family.

Well, that’s also spelled oujo. And queen by the way is jo’ou.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's definitely supposed to be a pun. it's written as demon king castle but also sounds like demon princess

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Qwertycoatl posted:

Probably because it starts off kinda off-model

It seems to get rather better later.

I like Ryuukishi07's original art style and I'd love to see an anime use it whole cloth

that's an extremely short distance shot in a relaxed scene. that's not something you're going to pay attention to unless you specifically pause the show to point it out

e; actually i just noticed keiichi's tiny legs and feet. lmfao ok that is a goofy rear end shot

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 23, 2020

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tales of Woe posted:

it's definitely supposed to be a pun. it's written as demon king castle but also sounds like demon princess

It doesn’t really work as a pun because the de particle makes no sense in that case

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Is this that moe thing people keep talking about

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DisDisDis posted:

No I am.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Strange Quark posted:

It doesn’t really work as a pun because the de particle makes no sense in that case

eh, sometimes de can be used kinda like a "with".

still, don't think it's meant to be a pun in this case

:yeah:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Then where's Larry & Curly? Shemp's acceptable in a pinch, but if you're one of those Curly Joe sickos then you can go eat a bowl of hand grenades.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Maxwell Adams posted:

So, you have 魔法 (mahou) in 魔法少女 (mahou shoujo) for magical girl; 魔王 (maou) for demon king; 王女 (oujo) for princess; 魔女 (majo) for witch; and 魔王城 (maou jou) for demon (king) castle.

Mix and match. :v:

Truga posted:

eh, sometimes de can be used kinda like a "with".

still, don't think it's meant to be a pun in this case

Yeah. The で particle only translates to "with" when denoting utility. (e.g.; Eating with chopsticks.) It never refers to doing something in concert with someone/something. It's not a pun.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

DisDisDis posted:

oh you mean this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND6Q6l-l6tE

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Tonikawa yes he married and kissed the girl. Nasa goes fast.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Annointed posted:

Tonikawa yes he married and kissed the girl. Nasa goes fast.

I kind of get the feeling that Hata is using his clout from Hayate to say refute anyone who says stuff like "They can't get together in the first episode" and "They can't kiss so early into the series"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Not everything needs to be a refutation of something else.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Journey of Elaina continues to be a thought provoking series, but the thought it provokes is just 'yo what the gently caress'.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Maxwell Adams posted:

Journey of Elaina continues to be a thought provoking series, but the thought it provokes is just 'yo what the gently caress'.

I like the novels I've read a lot and really enjoyed the first couple eps but I'm actively pretty down on the show at this point, it's consistently making increasingly strange adaptation decisions that make various characters come off worse than I feel like they should and today's ep in particular feels like it had the stuff I thought was interesting about the novel's version of events almost entirely removed.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

The Colonel posted:

e; actually i just noticed keiichi's tiny legs and feet. lmfao ok that is a goofy rear end shot

its a pretty extended shot and they used it for two eps it made me crack up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Space Flower posted:

its a pretty extended shot and they used it for two eps it made me crack up

keiichi trying to run away from rena as she chases after his tiny baby legs <--the true twist ending of higurashi gou