Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

MarcusSA posted:

So I’m not really sure what to make of this.

It certainly doesn’t jive with the vulkin benchmarks I saw earlier.

It doesn’t make me want to upgrade from my 11pro Max that’s for sure.

I seem to recall some 3dmark benchmarks are actually constructed strangely and may be more of a CPU+GPU test instead of pure GPU. I'd basically wait for an anandtech review because they actually know what the benchmark tests and how to dig in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The A13 and A14 Bionic are still probably so far ahead of the competition that any difference between them in the real world is practically invisible at this point. That and yeah, I'd take that benchmark with a grain of salt.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Most likely just an optimisation issue on 3DMark's side. The A14 pulls ahead in every other Benchmark by about 20%

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Hmm anyone else got a HomeKit bug? Hue lights unresponsive for me in the control centre, app never loads, and I can’t leave the home via settings after deleting the app. Works fine on my older iPhone.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I know we've gotten a lot of 'should I upgrade' posts so far, I figure I'd pose the question too for my dilemma. I'm on the upgrade program so it's not a big stretch, but I don't want to lock myself into a new phone if it's really marginal and edge case benefits.

iPhone 11 Pro -> iPhone 12 Pro. Worth it or skip this year? Any major pros?

I'm not seeing much. Marginally better camera and LIDAR, marginally bigger screen?

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 23, 2020

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

Hmm anyone else got a HomeKit bug? Hue lights unresponsive for me in the control centre, app never loads, and I can’t leave the home via settings after deleting the app. Works fine on my older iPhone.

I’ve had some HomeKit responsiveness issues but nothing like that. Mostly just Home not updating/unresponsive until it kicks back into gear.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Inner Light posted:

I know we've gotten a lot of 'should I upgrade' posts so far, I figure I'd pose the question too for my dilemma. I'm on the upgrade program so it's not a big stretch, but I don't want to lock myself into a new phone if it's really marginal and edge case benefits.

I'm not seeing much. Marginally better camera and LIDAR, marginally bigger screen?

Yeah if I were you I would wait unless you are a super big "every day" user of AR stuff or something.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Don't upgrade. I assume you've read the specs and the commentary - if you still have to be sold on it, you might as well not do it because it means you don't think it's that great of an upgrade (which is ok!).

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ijyt posted:

I ran into this when upgrading last year and just took the nuclear route: delete the home and reinstall Hue app, turn off Apple TV (acting as HomeKit hub,) power cycle Hue hub & router, set the lights/Home.app up again.

enojy fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 23, 2020

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Setting up an alternate Face ID with mask is frustrating as poo poo. Hold over half my face? Lol

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
iPhone 12 pro is here, doesn't feel significantly bigger than my iPhone 8. Really love the flat sides like back on the iPhone 5. Is anyone else thinking about running caseless? I always used a case with the 6 and 8 because they felt slippery as hell in hand but this new one is pretty easy to hold.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Inner Light posted:

No big change between the year's. Max is TBD.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

prom candy posted:

iPhone 12 pro is here, doesn't feel significantly bigger than my iPhone 8. Really love the flat sides like back on the iPhone 5. Is anyone else thinking about running caseless? I always used a case with the 6 and 8 because they felt slippery as hell in hand but this new one is pretty easy to hold.

Hell yeah. I look forward to running an iPhone 5 slab caseless again. I can feel my initial reaction to the iPhone 6 redesign bubbling up: "eeegh..."

I've been using my iPhone 11 caseless this year and it's no worse for wear (to say, still mint-looking,) but it's rarely pleasant in the hands. Just too big and heavy for one hand, and not really that comfortable in two, either. I need to like glove up and go check out the 12/12 Pro form factor before going in on the Mini.

enojy fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 23, 2020

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

I love the feel of the flat sides in my hands and gently caress no I’m not going caseless. It’s infinitely easier to grip and it’s even easier to grip with a case on it.

Anyone else taking advantage of the $200 loyalty rebate from T-Mobile, I had to specifically ask for the rebate paperwork. And it’s not a bill credit, it’s a physical Visa giftcard. That goes completely opposite what I was told by T-Mobile when I called previously, so just a FYI.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

prom candy posted:

Going caseless with my X is why I can’t trade it in anywhere: giant glass cracks on the back :(

Still waiting on mine to be delivered but I’m guessing the phone still doesn’t sit flush because of the camera bumps right? That alone to me makes the case worthwhile.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Nuts and Gum posted:

Going caseless with my X is why I can’t trade it in anywhere: giant glass cracks on the back :(

Still waiting on mine to be delivered but I’m guessing the phone still doesn’t sit flush because of the camera bumps right? That alone to me makes the case worthwhile.

It doesn’t sit flush even with a case. My Spigen liquid clear case surprised me and arrived today and the lip around the camera square means it does not lay flat. A thicker case probably would, but thinner cases can’t overcome dat bump. Also clear cases are a bust for the gold color. The bumper mutes the colors significantly, even the shiny steel band. My phone looks off-white or at best a cream color.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Endless Mike posted:

You can, but then you lose all of your data from the time when you made the archive to when you downgrade. I think the OP's dilemma is that their current phone is on the 14.2 beta while their new phone will be on the release 14.1, so they can either find a 14.1 archive and lose the intervening date, or update the new phone, then restore it.

This is correct. I can restore a months-old backup, but I'd lose a lot of data. Installing the beta on the new phone first won't be terrible, but that you have to take this step first is not at all apparent when the transfer process fails.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Magsafe charger kinda sucks, you have to use two hands to take the phone off. The phone sticks to my magnetic mount but not strong enough for me to confidently use it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

prom candy posted:

Magsafe charger kinda sucks, you have to use two hands to take the phone off.

Pretty sure this is why the Nexus 5 charger came with double sided tape for the base.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Mister Facetious posted:

Pretty sure this is why the Nexus 5 charger came with double sided tape for the base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhpezwGtDEg

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Does Siri straight up forget where I live sometimes? Sometimes I’ll say “take me home” and it’ll open up maps and set the route because. Other times is “I don’t have this address!” Seems to happen consistently after trying to navigate when the phone is locked vs unlocked.

What about keyboard lag? I used Swiftkey way back when, but stopped because the keyboard would lag behind my typing. Now the vanilla keyboard is doing it for some reason?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Krispy Wafer posted:

It doesn’t sit flush even with a case. My Spigen liquid clear case surprised me and arrived today and the lip around the camera square means it does not lay flat. A thicker case probably would, but thinner cases can’t overcome dat bump. Also clear cases are a bust for the gold color. The bumper mutes the colors significantly, even the shiny steel band. My phone looks off-white or at best a cream color.

Just got the pro. I loving love the square design, they should have never changed it.

It sits perfectly flush with my case, but I have the official Apple silicon case (I really like the dark green)

It seems stuck on confirming my phone number, but my old X says its still transferring data so who knows. I'm already kind of wishing I held out for the mini, but I'll probably just get used to it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

This is kind of an awful app question but it applies to some other stuff.

Brand new iPhone user, love it so far. Coming from Android there was the concept of a back button or gesture. In the awful app when you’re in a post, to go back to the bookmarks you have to press the back arrow in the upper left. Is there a gesture or some way to do that action closer to the bottom of the phone. Makes it annoying for 1 handed use and my baby hands. I’ve seen the same action in other apps too so I thought maybe it was a phone thing

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

vyst posted:

Brand new iPhone user, love it so far. Coming from Android there was the concept of a back button or gesture. In the awful app when you’re in a post, to go back to the bookmarks you have to press the back arrow in the upper left. Is there a gesture or some way to do that action closer to the bottom of the phone. Makes it annoying for 1 handed use and my baby hands. I’ve seen the same action in other apps too so I thought maybe it was a phone thing
Swipe from the left edge toward the right. Many apps support this gesture.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Swipe from the left edge toward the right. Many apps support this gesture.

Holy poo poo thank you

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

vyst posted:

Holy poo poo thank you
You can also quick switch between apps by doing the same along the bottom of the screen.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Regular 12 in blue color has arrived. It is a very pretty deep blue color. ~20 minutes to transfer everything from my old 11. I apparently have T-Mobile 5G in my city already? Neat.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

vyst posted:

The Tips app that comes on your iPhone is actually quite good and highlighting some of the features and gestures that may not be immediately apparent.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I wish iPhone could get God’s Perfect Gesture which was Motorola’s twist to open the camera app.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

LuckyCat posted:

I wish iPhone could get God’s Perfect Gesture which was Motorola’s twist to open the camera app.

My last phone was a Moto and the shake for flashlight feature was dope but it could turn on from jogging. In my pocket which meant the light was burning the battery down.

Still miss the feature though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iPhone has superseded that by making the camera way too easy to activate from the Lock Screen so you put it in your pocket with the display on and let it convert battery power into heat until your leg catches on fire.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

in terms of cool features, there's one in accessibility that allows you to triple tap the back to take a screen shot. You're welcome everyone. Also, my 12 arrived, but I'm not even unboxing it because already have started the return because I ordered the 12 Pro three days ago and now have to wait till the middle of November for it :(. Oh well. At least my first case arrived and I love the hand feel over my old 6s+ bigger screen but smaller profile? Yes please.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

LionArcher posted:

in terms of cool features, there's one in accessibility that allows you to triple tap the back to take a screen shot. You're welcome everyone. Also, my 12 arrived, but I'm not even unboxing it because already have started the return because I ordered the 12 Pro three days ago and now have to wait till the middle of November for it :(. Oh well. At least my first case arrived and I love the hand feel over my old 6s+ bigger screen but smaller profile? Yes please.

Was it really that hard to squeeze the volume up and power button to take a screenshot? :confused:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Was it really that hard to squeeze the volume up and power button to take a screenshot? :confused:

I turned that one on but changed it pull down the notification bar, easier to use one handed.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Never been so frustrated trying to set up a new iPhone before, it's making me do it a third time now. Going from iPhone 8 to a iPhone 12 Pro. Why the hell does it keep asking me for some random Apple ID password for an email address I've never seen before? Should I be concerned?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

It's me; I'm the one Canadian that absolutely can't stand that band.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Astro7x posted:

Never been so frustrated trying to set up a new iPhone before, it's making me do it a third time now. Going from iPhone 8 to a iPhone 12 Pro. Why the hell does it keep asking me for some random Apple ID password for an email address I've never seen before? Should I be concerned?

Yeah this process sucks poo poo. First I had a ton of verizon errors, and now it's saying that there's not enough space to restore a 128GB iPhone XR backup to a 256GB iPhone 12 Pro.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

FCKGW posted:

The Tips app that comes on your iPhone is actually quite good and highlighting some of the features and gestures that may not be immediately apparent.

Cool I’ll check this out!

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

LuckyCat posted:

My favorite Motorola gesture was waving your hand over the screen to check the time. I felt like a Jedi whenever I did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Astro7x posted:

Did you ever get your phone set up by a retailer? They probably used a generic account to download some photo transfer app or some poo poo so they didn’t have to keep handing you the phone for your Apple ID password while they set it up