Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner/status/1319698900069076994
Ben Bradley seriously needs to log off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Brothels could do with a direct payment what with the lockdown.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

In a deeply competitive field I think Ben Bradley still manages to stand out as a consistently repugnant tory. He's just so grating, which might be a deliberate culture wars-y schitck, but he's so offensively terrible about so many things

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
https://twitter.com/FlorenceHRS/status/1319685666003947521?s=20

Guess the MP

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Sounds like she was mean to him first.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWsfM2QknPg

Okay someone get this fucker out of my head because I'd just started reading up about this after a conversation we'd had ITT about this exact subject.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Niric posted:

In a deeply competitive field I think Ben Bradley still manages to stand out as a consistently repugnant tory. He's just so grating, which might be a deliberate culture wars-y schitck, but he's so offensively terrible about so many things

He's also just so *thick*. Like he's an avatar of every "I reckon..." ever spoken in a pub. With most Tories you know there's at least some performativeness to their blindness to simple facts, but with him I'm fairly certain it's entirely authentic.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think I've managed to play more in the last few months thanks to lockdown and the rise of video calling than I have in the last ten years.

I would be pretty interested to hear the pod do an RPG but maybe not D&D. Paranoia maybe?

The pod has played D&D and I assure you it was as much a clusterfuck as you imagine. I have never said 'no please don't burn down the townmaster's house' so much in a few hours, so the geniuses elected to shove a corpse down his chimney.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

The pod has played D&D and I assure you it was as much a clusterfuck as you imagine. I have never said 'no please don't burn down the townmaster's house' so much in a few hours, so the geniuses elected to shove a corpse down his chimney.

I'm still bitter the pandemic put paid to the D&D game feedmegin was organising, I had an intricate backstory for my barbarian that was part Reggie Kray, part Terry McCann, and part Cass Pennant all worked out and everything.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm still bitter the pandemic put paid to the D&D game feedmegin was organising, I had an intricate backstory for my barbarian that was part Reggie Kray, part Terry McCann, and part Cass Pennant all worked out and everything.

You could do it online?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

He's also just so *thick*. Like he's an avatar of every "I reckon..." ever spoken in a pub.

Yeah, this is a good way of putting it and part of why he's so grating. I think he's very much leaning into it (while still also being thick as poo poo) and does it all the time in every interaction so it comes across as an exaggerated version that even those pub bores would find tedious.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
That's where all my roleplaying has been for the last few years.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
All my best roleplaying experiences were over IRC with dicebots (which is pretty antiquated itself these days). Getting around a physical tabletop is too much like hard work.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
yeah online rp is the simplest way to get to what role-playing is all about namely being gay and kissing girls.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Since lockdown our monthly in-person D&D session has become a weekly online session through Roll20 and tbh it’s actually better, for helping people figure out bonuses on rolls and especially for not having to find table space for a large homemade map.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Is there a term thats the opposite of " Virtue signalling" IE. to describe when someone repeats a repugnant idea or argument to demonstrate how unfuckable they are?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

gh0stpinballa posted:

find it quite funny how extremely online leftists are calling yorkshire a shithole, everyone from there cunts, horrible, wankers etc not a day after they were begging people not to mildly joke about northern secession because london or something. the uk is full of very confused people.
That's an unfortunate opinion given that Yorkshire is one of the best places in England (though perhaps that's not such a high bar) and folk from there are famously friendly. Plus it's right next to the rest of the North, also containing some of the best parts of the country.

justcola posted:

Disco Elysium is very good, usually I'm not a fan of rpg's or reading pages and pages of dialogue, but I loved DE. The absolute first section made me question if this was the right game for me, but when you start properly its very funny and made me reflect on my actual, real life. True art!

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah same. I bounced off Planescape: Torment twice, which is supposed to be the next nearest game to DE.

DE is very philosophically deep but also very funny, emotional and engrossing. It's just really excellently made and written.
I just (like five minutes ago) finished playing Disco Elysium for the first time and it is good. It's certainly funny and sad and weird and it does have plenty to say. It does have a bit of kinship with Planescape: Torment, but without any combat (well, very little combat) which was one of the weakest parts of P:T anyway. It does feel a little clunky in spots compared with other modern RPGs - a couple of fetch quests that feel pretty tedious thanks to the loading screens and lack of fast travel, but it's also a pretty small game world so you never have to spend too long just running through the landscape. I will probably replay it some time - apart from wanting to try it as a violent fash cop rather than the trying-to-do-better communist that I played this time around, I feel like there is probably still more to the mystery of the world and the Pale that I didn't uncover on a first playthrough.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Our lockdown Roll20 sessions abruptly ended due to a DM meltdown apparently caused by dice rolls being automatically triggered. It was all very dramatic and probably the only lockdown-based emotional wobble I've experienced so it was a shame but also interesting I guess

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Mr Phillby posted:

Is there a term thats the opposite of " Virtue signalling" IE. to describe when someone repeats a repugnant idea or argument to demonstrate how unfuckable they are?

Ben Bradleying

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mr Phillby posted:

That's just another brand of virtue signalling, but the things they credit as virtue are actually awful

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mr Phillby posted:

Vice Signalling.

Not to be confused with the variety of semaphore created by putting objects of different thickenss in your bench vice so the winder ends up in different positions.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

JRM?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I don't know to what extent people in this thread who play RPGs follow what goes on in that industry, but fair warning: D&D 5E was designed by a rape apologist who doxxed abuse victims to their harasser. The designer also brought on his rapist friend and an actual Nazi as consultants.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Philip Davies, the lesser known but equally awful spouse of Esther McVey.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Miftan posted:

You could do it online?

Its not really the same. That said, given we are likely to be Tier One Million fairly shortly over here I am cogitating having a go at a revival...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lungboy posted:

Philip Davies, the lesser known but equally awful spouse of Esther McVey.
The MRA MP.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Tarnop posted:

I don't know to what extent people in this thread who play RPGs follow what goes on in that industry, but fair warning: D&D 5E was designed by a rape apologist who doxxed abuse victims to their harasser. The designer also brought on his rapist friend and an actual Nazi as consultants.

That's not to mention the numerous racial and worker abuses commited by wizard of the coast as a whole.

feedmegin posted:

Its not really the same. That said, given we are likely to be Tier One Million fairly shortly over here I am cogitating having a go at a revival...
Honestly what you lose in face to face body language you more than make up from the generally more relaxed attitude of you snd your players.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tarnop posted:

Mike Mearls, designer of the current edition of the world's most famous RPG, is either such a bad designer or such a lovely DM that on a major, very public playest (Penny Arcade's livestream, IIRC) this happened:
Mearls: "Okay, everyone roll a perception check!"
[Everyone fails their roll]
Mearls: "Er... um... everyone roll again?"

I haven't played an RPG since the BX days, and I somehow still learned how terrible Mearls is just as a designer, never mind his friendships with some appalling toxic shitheads, through forums osmosis.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mr Phillby posted:

Posting.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

if you want to play Pen and Paper online, check out Foundry VTT, it's the new hotness.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Rumda posted:

Honestly what you lose in face to face body language you more than make up from the generally more relaxed attitude of you snd your players.

Online is fine for people you already feel comfortable with is okish but is a terrible way to start something is my opinion. There's also the engagement aspect - harder to feel fully connected to the game and your players online I find.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1319731865394335744
Hahahahahaha

This week has really improved my feelings towards Angela Raynor.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Online is fine for people you already feel comfortable with is okish but is a terrible way to start something is my opinion. There's also the engagement aspect - harder to feel fully connected to the game and your players online I find.

Yeah that's completely the opposite to my experience it's much much much much more comfortable to play a game and be open with people initially online since if nothing at all else you don't need to worry about your immediate physical safety.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Rumda posted:

Yeah that's completely the opposite to my experience it's much much much much more comfortable to play a game and be open with people initially online since if nothing at all else you don't need to worry about your immediate physical safety.

Yea that's fair not something I'd considered, given my in person stuff was mediated through university.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

To return to the earlier discussion about tax havens, this is the go to book:

https://www.hive.co.uk/Product/Nicholas-Shaxson/Treasure-Islands--Tax-Havens-and-the-Men-who-Stole-the-World/148437

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

I hate to keep dunking on Ben Bradley, but remember a few hours ago when he was demanding Marcus Rashford meet him at a school where the head didn't even want free meals?

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1319735964164554758

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

jabby posted:

I hate to keep dunking on Ben Bradley,

But why? He deserves it and makes it so easy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jabby posted:

I hate to keep dunking on Ben Bradley, but remember a few hours ago when he was demanding Marcus Rashford meet him at a school where the head didn't even want free meals?

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1319735964164554758

He should definitely meet him in the car park of the school.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
He's still digging

https://twitter.com/evolvepolitics/status/1319738402368086021?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Good lord, he's having a mare