Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Buff Hardback posted:

A combination of Dr. Elsey's Ultra litter and these litter mats https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DKRD4KW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 has gotten tracking to basically zero.

Thanks for this. I haven’t found a drat mat that works worth anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

MJP posted:

What's the goon zeitgeist on dust-free clumping litter that doesn't track? We just finished switching our two cats onto Arm and Hammer lightweight clump & seal, and it's amazingly easy to scoop but we're seeing dusty paw prints on the couch. Preferably clay litter, we have sifter pans.

Bonus points if it's in a container with a handle but I'm okay with whatever.

I've switched a few times recently, due to dust.

I'm using this stuff, and so far so good: https://www.petcircle.com.au/product/trouble-and-trix-natural-litter-pellets/aq372

I've tried Rufus & Coco Wee Kitty, and Applaws Nature's Calling and both had appalling levels of dust after a while. Actually, the R&C was dusty right out of the bag, despite claiming to be dust free.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

MJP posted:

Nifty, thanks! I've got the litter boxes on a carpet remnant so it gets most of the kicked-out litter, but those mats look like they might help more than that.

How dusty is the Ultra Litter?

I've basically never seen dust anywhere from it. It does make dust when pouring but that's basically it.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Bought the honey comb litter mats after they were recommended, and haven't looked back since. I also got the step in litter boxes. I place them in the corner of the room, but they've figured out they can jump right onto the window pane to by pass the litter mat. I have to figure out a way to stop that.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Uh, so vet gave the cat once over for free. He diagnosed it as sick from food, no blockages or whatever. Shes already started eating my old back up food Core Wellness brand. She shes now back to eating 75% of what she was before. Now unless shes eating poo poo she shoudlnt this is the second time shes gotten sick from Blue Bluffalo since June. I switched from core wellness because it made her get a filthy butt, so Im already looking for a longer term replacement. I know the thread mantra is that any cat food is good but I guess Im off to look for bougie brands, any recommendations for known-to-be safe brands?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Re: litter tracking I swapped to pine pellets a few years ago and will never go back to clumping/clay. They track a lot less, no dust, and smell like fresh cut wood instead of cat litter. Huge improvement.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dropped my baby girl off at the vet today for her teeth pulling surgery. She wasn't allowed to eat so she was extra pissed off this morning. I hate how sad she sounds in the carrier and coming back home without her but I know this is necessary. Hopefully it helps with her bitey tendencies too if her hosed up teeth aren't causing her anymore pain.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Gaj posted:

Uh, so vet gave the cat once over for free. He diagnosed it as sick from food, no blockages or whatever. Shes already started eating my old back up food Core Wellness brand. She shes now back to eating 75% of what she was before. Now unless shes eating poo poo she shoudlnt this is the second time shes gotten sick from Blue Bluffalo since June. I switched from core wellness because it made her get a filthy butt, so Im already looking for a longer term replacement. I know the thread mantra is that any cat food is good but I guess Im off to look for bougie brands, any recommendations for known-to-be safe brands?

Our sensitive stomach cat likes Merrick Purrfect Bistro.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Holy moly they just called and after x-rays they found 5 more teeth that need to be yanked bringing the total to 7. Poor girl :smith:

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

mistaya posted:

Re: litter tracking I swapped to pine pellets a few years ago and will never go back to clumping/clay. They track a lot less, no dust, and smell like fresh cut wood instead of cat litter. Huge improvement.

Don't you need one of those sifting litter-trays for that? I kind of want to switch but I'd have to find one that fits into the bespoke poo poo-box.

Is your cat picky about litter? Ours prefers the extra fine grit so I'm not sure she'll accept pellets.

direspoon
Jul 8, 2006

Is that a spoon around your neck, or are you just happy to see me?

We brought home a pair of 2-3-year-old brothers from a rescue yesterday afternoon. They’d been at the rescue house with a load of cats for over a year before this, but had been in separate rooms for quite awhile because of initial GI issues for one of them.

Both of them hate carriers but one brother had a very traumatic time getting in yesterday, to where he was bolting around the rescue screaming his head off. I was holding the carrier at the time so he’s very distrustful of me and only a little better with my partner.

We have them confined to the same room for the time being. They seem relatively neutral toward each other, but the one time the traumatized guy came out from under a desk his brother hissed at him until he retreated. We think they both spent the night on the same couch, so they might be doing better, but we’re getting concerned because the guy under the desk isn’t coming out at all now and hasn’t eaten more than a couple of kibble last night. He completely ignored the wet food we brought this morning.

At what point do we start to worry? We were told to try either wiping some food on his paw to spark an appetite or trying some tuna water. We’re not sure if he’s just very stressed from the move, intimated by his brother, or what. If we have to take him anywhere (either another room or the vet) I think we have one chance to scoop up the cat cave he’s hiding in, but hopefully it doesn’t come to that.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Certainly don't worry if it's only been one day, this sounds pretty normal. Cats often won't eat much the first day or two they're in a new place due to nervousness. Give them at least 3-4 days to settle, and keep the food and water easily available - maybe even in a spot they can get to without venturing far from their hiding spots. And try not to force either of them to move if you don't really have to.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Len posted:

Oh god don't do that to yourself, you can turn off the auto cycle and just press the button in the meantime

Edit: https://mbsy.co/litter-robot/84384151

Or is it this one? http://share.litter-robot.com/396lWT

Litter Robot arrived today! It said it would take two or three weeks, but it was about 5 days from when I pulled the trigger. Hope you got your bonus cash or whatever it gives you!

Kitten arrives tomorrow, so just in time too -- I've got a couple cheap litter boxes I'll hopefully never have to use.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pita has been spayed successfully. She's currently wearing an inflatable donut, which she does not like but seems resigned to. Should we leave it on her all the time so she gets used to it, or just use it when nobody's monitoring her? She goes right for licking the zone if nobody's there to stop her so she needs to be donutted at least part of the day.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Pita has been spayed successfully. She's currently wearing an inflatable donut, which she does not like but seems resigned to. Should we leave it on her all the time so she gets used to it, or just use it when nobody's monitoring her? She goes right for licking the zone if nobody's there to stop her so she needs to be donutted at least part of the day.

Leave it on her unless there's a reason (like it's chafing or something). You don't want to spend your life for the next couple weeks playing stitch police.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I dunno but ours had to come off the first day because she was going nuts and got her foot stuck multiple times. The vet also said it wasn’t an issue.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Batman's new favorite spot to sleep? In a little gap next to some boardgames on the shelf.

Also I caught him mid-yawn :nyan:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Deteriorata posted:

Leave it on her unless there's a reason (like it's chafing or something). You don't want to spend your life for the next couple weeks playing stitch police.

She's already figured out how to remove it so that solves that.

They are fortunately internal stitches so she can't pull them out, licking is the problem. I should've ordered one of those surgery t-shirt things ahead of time.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Grand Fromage posted:

She's already figured out how to remove it so that solves that.

They are fortunately internal stitches so she can't pull them out, licking is the problem. I should've ordered one of those surgery t-shirt things ahead of time.

It may be fine. I had a cat get out of the house the day after her surgery and go bouncing around in foot deep snow with no harm done. Some cats just don't give a gently caress and it works for them somehow.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Phenotype posted:

Litter Robot arrived today! It said it would take two or three weeks, but it was about 5 days from when I pulled the trigger. Hope you got your bonus cash or whatever it gives you!

Kitten arrives tomorrow, so just in time too -- I've got a couple cheap litter boxes I'll hopefully never have to use.

Bastards, apparently neither of those were the link

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Len posted:

Bastards, apparently neither of those were the link

It updates at the end of the month

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

I think we just traumatised our new super timid kitty Doc by taking him to the vet :( He's been hiding under the bed since we got him about 10 days ago, coming out to eat/drink/use the litter tray which was all fine. Unfortunately he hasn't really been pooping - even though he's been eating wet food like a champ, added pumpkin and even some laxative stuff, so off to the vet he had to go. We had to heft the bed on it's side and chase him around the bedroom for about 10 minutes until we brought out the big carrier we used to bring him home in, and he bolted in there to hide. He seemed so scared at the vet poor little guy, although he's not attack-scared, just shaky and wants to hide, he did accept some head scritches and pets while meowing adorably. At least this means he'll get a full once over by the vet and fingers crossed we won't have to take him again for a while.

We've taken the opportunity to dismantle the bed in his room and we're adding other cozy hiding spots that are less problematic than under the bed. Hopefully he'll forgive us!!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Vet visits will be tough, I've had my oldest cat for 4 years and was just blubbering about hearing her cry in the car on the way to the vet this morning. She literally turns into a hedgehog because of how spiky the hair gets on her back when she's sitting on the table at the vet's. Getting him in a carrier should be easier later on when he's not so slippery but I still always feel like such a jerk for having to take them in because of how much they hate it.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Lychee got a leash, and after she got used to it it made vet visits a lot better. I don't think any cat really likes being in a carrier, so everywhere but the car I got the leash on her and Im carrying her. Took a few visits but by the third round of vaccines she was mostly happy to be outside.

She isn't afraid of people though, so I guess that wouldn't matter for actually being afraid of the vet himself :/

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Ethics is terrified of the vet. He shakes and tries to hide under whatever is closest.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

I don't think I've ever had a cat enjoy the vet no, but mostly it's a 'gently caress you I don't want to go there' reaction rather than an 'aaaaaargh why are you even coming near me' terror. Our other kitty Holly is fine with being picked up so as long as we catch her unawares we can wrangle her into the carrier pretty easily. At this point Doc isn't used to us at all really, we've been chilling in the room with him but he's been as far away under the bed as possible while we're in there, no contact at all.

Looks like he had a sore bladder from stress which had a knock on impact and stopped him from pooping so he was super blocked up. We have some anti anxiety meds and other stuff so hopefully that will help him settle a bit better and pooping on the reg!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Our cat started out terrified of the vet, but in her old age has turned to rage instead. The vet thought we were making progress when she didn't immediately flee back into her carrier after so many monthly visits for B12 shots, but it turned out she decided to stand her ground instead. :bahgawd:

Her chart now has a note about falconry gloves and non-solo handling.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pixelante posted:

Ethics is terrified of the vet. He shakes and tries to hide under whatever is closest.

I don't get it, what am i looking at here? It's a vet scale with no animal around?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Our nervous cat Luke was so terrified of the vet that, at our first post-adoption checkup, he squeezed himself between me and the wall on the back of the waiting-room bench. I think he ended up being examined sitting in the bottom half of the carrier with a towel draped over him to help keep him calm.

The only vet appointment that wasn't a nightmare for him was his last one, where he was so zonked on painkillers for his cancer that he actually wandered around and explored a bit. I felt terrible about having to bring him to the vet for that visit, but at least he wasn't afraid.

direspoon
Jul 8, 2006

Is that a spoon around your neck, or are you just happy to see me?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Certainly don't worry if it's only been one day, this sounds pretty normal. Cats often won't eat much the first day or two they're in a new place due to nervousness. Give them at least 3-4 days to settle, and keep the food and water easily available - maybe even in a spot they can get to without venturing far from their hiding spots. And try not to force either of them to move if you don't really have to.

Thanks for this. Luckily something happened and the traumatized guy decided to come out—it was like a switch flipped. We went in to check on them and he acted like normal, headbutting and begging for scritches. That led to him eating a little and using the litter box, so most of our immediate concerns are taken care of.

Now our biggest concern is probably how food driven the other guy is. We had some leftover pork we tried using to the coax the one out of hunger strike, who didn't care for it one bit. His brother, though, had one piece and then ran all around the room looking for the rest of it. To the point he pushed past my partner and me, shoved his head into the cat cave the scared one was in and tried to steal that food, hissing the whole time. Tried feeding him some wet food after and he didn't care at all. But boy he wanted that pork.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Don't you need one of those sifting litter-trays for that? I kind of want to switch but I'd have to find one that fits into the bespoke poo poo-box.

Is your cat picky about litter? Ours prefers the extra fine grit so I'm not sure she'll accept pellets.

My two are not picky about litter at all, they are super chill and I've tried everything from wheat to clay to pine to paper pellets.

Basically you don't "sift" the pellets so much as just scoop out the poo and whatever pellets have stuck to it in a big clump. I use what's more of a shovel than a scooper to clean it. Pee causes the pellets to powder-ize, (not clump) and you just fully empty the box every couple weeks once enough of the pellets have gone to sawdust.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Holy poo poo, so I just got my baby girl back from the vet and her teeth were so much worse than a visual check let on. After the xrays they found so much more deterioration on more of her back teeth, to the point that you could clearly see the divot in the xray from where the bone just straight up wasn't there anymore. The amount of swelling they saw once they had her under was immense, and even when under anesthesia he told us they poked one of these inflamed spots and her heart rate would go through the roof, so she must have been in tremendous pain. He also said this likely means that we may not even know her real personality considering she's probably been operating at a lower level of power for so long because of the pain. This also might coincide with the amount of lashing out and biting she's done to us in the past because of the pain. After about a month when she fully recovers he told us she might be a completely different cat personality-wise (for the better).

I'm gutted because it feels like this is something we could've helped her with but he told us it's most likely completely genetic and we couldn't have done anything to stop it from happening. All the checkup visits to the vet include just quick glances at the gums to make sure nothing truly hosed up is going on and moving along, so it's not like we could've possibly known it was this bad until they saw signs of it on the tooth this last time and then did x-rays of her head to see what was really going on.

He gave us one of the canines they took out, told us that normally the procedure takes about 30 minutes to remove but this tooth came out in a minute because of how far gone the tissue was. It just popped out of her head. Jesus.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Its not your fault. These idiots are good at hiding illness until it becomes too much to bear. Its good its getting taken care of now and you'll keep an eye on it in the future. Milly has the same tooth resorbtion problem and nearly all of her bottom teeth have been pulled by now. And yeah, once the pain is gone you're likely to have a completely different cat.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

My cat, Hemingway, has become a bit more lethargic. He lazes around a bit more and sometimes sleeps on my bed during the day. I'm not sure if he's just settled in and more chill or if something is wrong. He still can get very vocal and is energetic when we play with da bird feather wand.

I emailed my vet about his stinky poops and farts. They suggested I reintroduce wet food and that ideally it be the same brand as what I'm using for dry wood. I mentioned picking up Blue Buffalo indoor and that it was part of https://pfac.com/, they said it's not a recognized organization. If the problem persists I can bring in a fecal sample and they suggested returning to what I started with, Royal Canin.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Cats sleep like a bazillion hours a day. I think this is a good development compared with the almost hyperactivity you were describing earlier. My cats spent most of today sleeping in proximity to me and/or in the most convenient sunbeam.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Corte posted:

My cat, Hemingway, has become a bit more lethargic. He lazes around a bit more and sometimes sleeps on my bed during the day. I'm not sure if he's just settled in and more chill or if something is wrong. He still can get very vocal and is energetic when we play with da bird feather wand.

Cats often sleep for 15-20 hours per day, and they're most active during the evening and night. It's perfectly normal for a cat to spend all afternoon napping, and the fact that he's sleeping sprawled out on your bed instead of in a little cubbyhole somewhere is a sign that he's comfortable and feels safe.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Spikes32 posted:

It updates at the end of the month

Yeah, make sure to check then -- it definitely gave me $25 bucks off using one of those links.

Meet the little buddy I got this afternoon! I haven't quite decided on a name for him yet, but he's already playing with his toys and getting along well with his dog sister, and even gave the Litter Robot its very first clump of pee, so I think we're doing pretty good!

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Hey so I adopted an 8 month old manx cat a week ago and he was the smartest, most loving kitty I have ever met. A week later he wont even let me touch him without biting me, constantly hides and tries to pounce on me, and will run around the house for hours. Everything I've looked just says I need to burn off his energy with play, but he has literally unlimited energy so I can play with him for hours and he will still sprint around the house all night. Like I seriously can't even sleep because I'm clearly the worst pet owner despite trying to do everything right :(

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bro Dad posted:

Hey so I adopted an 8 month old manx cat a week ago and he was the smartest, most loving kitty I have ever met. A week later he wont even let me touch him without biting me, constantly hides and tries to pounce on me, and will run around the house for hours. Everything I've looked just says I need to burn off his energy with play, but he has literally unlimited energy so I can play with him for hours and he will still sprint around the house all night. Like I seriously can't even sleep because I'm clearly the worst pet owner despite trying to do everything right :(

Easy answer: get a second cat.

Hard answer: give it time, he'll calm down and learn your rhythms. 8 months is still a kitten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You are a good pet owner, a bad one wouldn't care about any of that stuff. It hasn't been that long, give it time.