Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

terrorist ambulance posted:

Were 3080s sold out in the first second or did you have a chance of beating the boys if you were looking at the store screen when they came available

I mean nobody knows the exact time it took for them all to get claimed but the description I keep seeing is 'seconds', not 'minutes'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Were 3080s sold out in the first second or did you have a chance of beating the boys if you were looking at the store screen when they came available

depends on where you're talking about but with the nvidia store the bots actually just bypassed the web interface entirely and punched orders directly into the DigitalRiver shop API

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

It’s absolutely still disappearing in seconds.

There is a line at Micro Center at 6 AM every single day just for the chance of them maybe having a card in the store.

Since I want two identical 3080 cards for us I’m definitely not playing any of those games.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

A good chunk of people ITT were there trying to slam buttons as soon as things came up at the various stores. We're mostly still trying to get cards.

The 3070 situation should be better in that there's less of an upside for scalpers, so they might not be as interested. Various stores have also at least pretended to put in the most basic of anti-bot measures (like not letting people order quantity 50, NVidia) since then, and if the GDDR6X availability is what's bottlenecking the 3080/90, there could potentially be considerably more 3070 cards available from the get go.

Still, I'd expect it to be over in minutes, at best.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Martout posted:

I mean nobody knows the exact time it took for them all to get claimed but the description I keep seeing is 'seconds', not 'minutes'

The only places where it sold out in ‘minutes’ instead of ‘seconds’ were the places where the site didn’t crash but got so bogged down with people trying to buy that each step took minutes to load. For other sites I’d say seconds is generous. Personally I never saw nvidia show stock. It went from coming soon to sold out in between refreshes. poo poo was bad all around.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Someone, I think Rusty, got one somehow completely randomly after getting an NVidia email about the launch like an hour into things.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Hmm, but doesn't DLSS just need to reconstruct un-"exposed" pixels as well, since they'll get exposed in the post phase? I'll have to re-read that doc, thanks.

Potentially exposure is an input to the model for exactly that reason, they don't want it to behave identically across the full dynamic range, but its place in the pipeline means that the input isn't tonemapped yet. For example reconstruction in a dark area under low exposure doesn't need much detail if it's going to be tonemapped to black anyway, so perhaps parameterizing exposure is an optimization in that regard.

Total speculation though. They don't say and I don't know.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
One potential reason that exposure is relevant is that it is temporally unstable, and accounting for that may prove necessary to avoid artifacting during exposure changes.

Some Goon posted:

K8.0 is saying that 'neural net' part in the middle of that graphic either isn't there or isn't important. Makes you wonder why they'd be showing one doing all the work then...

No, I'm saying we don't KNOW what is there, and that while it's reasonable to assume part of it it is indeed an NN, we cannot prove that there is one (or more) and exactly what steps are being performed by an NN and what are more conventional algorithms. People are putting words in my mouth. I worded it the way I did because the exact methods the goal is accomplished by are neither known nor relevant to understanding why DLSS is able to do what it does. My goal was to help the numerous people who are looking at DLSS and comparing it to upscaling or AI inferring detail and being shocked at how good it is. We can understand what sort of operations are being done, we cannot be quite certain exactly how they are being done, and figuring that out is the special sauce of DLSS.

Suppose that the ML load does in fact turn out to be quite low - Nvidia does not want that information to be public, because that would encourage others to try to directly clone DLSS since the performance loss would be minimal. If everyone believes that the ML load is the majority of the work, others are likely to seek a very different approach, because they will not believe they can successfully copy Nvidia's work at an acceptable performance level. We don't know what the truth is yet, but we know what direction Nvidia has an incentive to push us toward believing.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 23, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought there was a whole thing about the tensor cores lighting up when you watched DLSS work under the NVIDIA debug tools. Was that not conclusive that there's some ML in play?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Is there a Sphyre guarantee for the 3070 too?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Symetrique posted:

Is there a Sphyre guarantee for the 3070 too?

Pretty sure you had to pre-order to get the Sphyre guarantee, and they're sold out now. Sorry.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Martout posted:

yeah I guess :(

Depends, are you willing and able to run scripts and/or have the free time to monitor Discord all day?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wccftech so :salt: but they say big navi leaked and it looks...much better than I expected.

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-big-navi-gpu-3dmark-benchmarks-leaked/

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

wccftech so :salt: but they say big navi leaked and it looks...much better than I expected.

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-big-navi-gpu-3dmark-benchmarks-leaked/

:salt: indeed, because some of those numbers don't look right. Going from 3dmark's data on average graphics score for 3080s you get:

FireStrike Ultra: 10791 (close enough), with leaderboards in the 12000-13000 range
TimeSpy Extreme: 8910 (off by 11%), with leaderboards in the 10000-11000 range

No bulk data for Port Royal 4k, but the 3080 should quite reasonably crush it there considering NVidia's strong RT performance vs what we are generally expecting to be weaker AMD RT performance.

So, uh, yeah, I'd wait for some independent verification there. Still, if the 6800 is within 10% of the 3080, that's excellent news for us consumers. It'd be interesting if that's how it actually played out, with the 6000-series slightly faster for old DX11 games, and Ampere faster for DX12 and RT.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 23, 2020

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

DrDork posted:

:salt: indeed, because some of those numbers don't look right. Going from 3dmark's data on average graphics score for 3080s you get:

FireStrike Ultra: 10791 (close enough), with leaderboards in the 12000-13000 range
TimeSpy Extreme: 8910 (off by 11%), with leaderboards in the 10000-11000 range

No bulk data for Port Royal 4k, but the 3080 should quite reasonably crush it there considering NVidia's strong RT performance vs what we are generally expecting to be weaker AMD RT performance.

So, uh, yeah, I'd wait for some independent verification there. Still, if the 6800 is within 10% of the 3080, that's excellent news for us consumers. It'd be interesting if that's how it actually played out, with the 6000-series slightly faster for old DX11 games, and Ampere faster for DX12 and RT.

It's also not sure whether it's the graphics score or total score (despite what wcftech says) and whether it's the 6800xt or 6900xt.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Is Superposition still relevant/useful as a benchmark or should I pony up for 3dmark when it's next on sale? I ran Superposition back to back a few times with some different fan setups on my 1070ti and the results were fairly close together and a bit inconsistent.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
SCAN are revealing their cards received. For 4k preorders they have received 134 and 168 cards the last two weeks. Likely the second largest retailer in the UK without Amazon.

They expect 305 cards next week.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 23, 2020

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Someone, I think Rusty, got one somehow completely randomly after getting an NVidia email about the launch like an hour into things.

I got mine (seemingly randomly) at like 10:30 on the 17th. No bots/scrapers/whatever, and no email notification. The processing page just kept working like it was going to time out (I think it may have, even), but I was charged, and got order confirmation an hour later. Approximately 7 hours later, I got shipment confirmation (I did 1-day shipping).

I had some perceived sketchiness around FedEx, and ended up picking it up at the shipment center around 8 p.m. after customer service told me it was being returned due to "fraud", so I'd still stay on top of that sort of thing.

I chalked it up to birthday luck.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Carecat posted:

SCAN are revealing their cards received. For 4k preorders they have received 134 and 168 cards the last two weeks. Likely the second largest retailer in the UK.

The problem here is that there is demand for more than 300 cards.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Tyro posted:

Is Superposition still relevant/useful as a benchmark or should I pony up for 3dmark when it's next on sale? I ran Superposition back to back a few times with some different fan setups on my 1070ti and the results were fairly close together and a bit inconsistent.

It's not terrible, but the "industry" such as it is has more or less decided on 3dmark, so it makes it hard to translate over when you're looking at new benchmarks and such. Given that you can regularly pick up 3dmark for <$5 on a Steam sale, you might as well, if just for ease of use.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I know it's been done to death in this thread (and that the poster a couple of posts up is being sarcastic!') but 'it's a demand problem' implies there's a normal amount of supply, and maybe... double or triple demand, Or even 10x normal demand. But it seems demand is high. like maybe 5-10x normal, and supply is about 1/100th of what we all expected. It's so bad that I'm literally running a bot that hasn't alerted me a single time in over a week (evga, asus, nvidia, and stores amazon, newegg, bandh, asus, bestbuy, and set to check every 9 seconds). Meanwhile my colleague got one in the big nvidia drop but doesn't have the rest of his pc, so he's just, go the card, lol.

Doomtrain
Sep 12, 2006
A mood train?

Carecat posted:

SCAN are revealing their cards received. For 4k preorders they have received 134 and 168 cards the last two weeks. Likely the second largest retailer in the UK without Amazon.

They expect 305 cards next week.

This is it guys. The giant October shipment of cards we've been waiting for....

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

redreader posted:

(and that the poster a couple of posts up is being sarcastic!')

Yeah, I was, but I do believe that demand is exceptional compared to the previous two generations' launches. I just think that 300 cards for Scan is bullshit, golden week or no.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

DrDork posted:

A good chunk of people ITT were there trying to slam buttons as soon as things came up at the various stores. We're mostly still trying to get cards.

The 3070 situation should be better in that there's less of an upside for scalpers, so they might not be as interested. Various stores have also at least pretended to put in the most basic of anti-bot measures (like not letting people order quantity 50, NVidia) since then, and if the GDDR6X availability is what's bottlenecking the 3080/90, there could potentially be considerably more 3070 cards available from the get go.

Still, I'd expect it to be over in minutes, at best.

Ehhh well to be fair there have been a ton of people in this very thread who have gotten cards, the difference is they are sane people and left the thread.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Taima posted:

Ehhh well to be fair there have been a ton of people in this very thread who have gotten cards, the difference is they are sane people and left the thread.

Most had the ability to put money down outside the USA on day 1, ran a snatcher script, or did the evga thing.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I got my card day 1 by smashing F5 like a maniac and then winning some kind of stock allocation lottery, thank you very much, :colbert:

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

spunkshui posted:

Most had the ability to put money down outside the USA on day 1, ran a snatcher script, or did the evga thing.

What evga thing?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

What evga thing?

People are starting to get the email from EVGAs “notify me” button on their website. Basically a waiting list.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

redreader posted:

I know it's been done to death in this thread (and that the poster a couple of posts up is being sarcastic!') but 'it's a demand problem' implies there's a normal amount of supply, and maybe... double or triple demand, Or even 10x normal demand. But it seems demand is high. like maybe 5-10x normal, and supply is about 1/100th of what we all expected. It's so bad that I'm literally running a bot that hasn't alerted me a single time in over a week (evga, asus, nvidia, and stores amazon, newegg, bandh, asus, bestbuy, and set to check every 9 seconds). Meanwhile my colleague got one in the big nvidia drop but doesn't have the rest of his pc, so he's just, go the card, lol.
How would you tell the difference? I've seen plenty of people post that they have received their cards, so supply is clearly present. There really isn't any reason to question the reports of "normal supply but very abnormal demand".

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It really doesn’t help that “abnormal demand” translates into “abnormally high number of people willing to overpay for scalped cards” and thus just feeds the whole incentive to bot.

Like, you on your home connection pinging once per ten seconds have no chance against a botter running on 500 AWS instances in the same datacenter where the store is actually hosted (or at least substantially better connection quality).

More bots, more chance of getting it. And that’s assuming that the scalpers haven’t figured out another dirty trick that lets them poke in orders directly instead of botting via the web interface like a pleb.

If you haven’t seen them even pop up in stock then yeah, you’re probably getting out-botted.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

redreader posted:

But it seems demand is high. like maybe 5-10x normal, and supply is about 1/100th of what we all expected. It's so bad that I'm literally running a bot that hasn't alerted me a single time in over a week (evga, asus, nvidia, and stores amazon, newegg, bandh, asus, bestbuy, and set to check every 9 seconds). Meanwhile my colleague got one in the big nvidia drop but doesn't have the rest of his pc, so he's just, go the card, lol.
I mean, :salt: and all, but everyone involved in the distribution and sale of the cards has said that supplies are at least similar to previous launches, if not better. If that's true (big if, but we have nothing to counter it), I think the part we mostly failed to realize is that initial global supply on launch for high-end cards might be as low as 20,000 for the first month, and just no one has cared much about it for years because lol at you for buying a launch-day 2080. When you've got almost that many people chilling out in a single Discord channel trying to grab cards...yeah. The scalping thing was also, I think, considerably more prevalent this time than people expected--instead of people getting a card and quietly exiting the queue, you've got tons of people trying to grab as many cards as they can, repeatedly, in order to scalp 'em.

If you're running Snatcher and it hasn't pinged at all, you're doing something wrong. I've gotten pings for Zotac almost every day this week, as well as BestBuy. You're not gonna get anything from EVGA or NVidia since neither are selling direct right now, so might as well turn those off. Amazon apparently has had a few, but I didn't get pinged on it either :(

Paul MaudDib posted:

It really doesn’t help that “abnormal demand” translates into “abnormally high number of people willing to overpay for scalped cards” and thus just feeds the whole incentive to bot.

More bots, more chance of getting it. And that’s assuming that the scalpers haven’t figured out another dirty trick that lets them poke in orders directly instead of botting via the web interface like a pleb.

Yeah, normally scalping drops off quickly. So far that hasn't been the case. The whole API injection bit did absolutely scoop up enormous chunks of the available inventory during the first few weeks.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

spunkshui posted:

There's been numerous ways to make it work. For example when Nvidia was still selling cards, there was a link that brought you to the checkout automatically and a ton of people got FE cards through that method, including here. That is also how I got mine, for example.

I'm not saying that everyone has received a card or something, but this narrative that hardly anyone who posts in the GPU thread has received a card is untrue. Many of the people who got cards left once they achieved that goal.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Taima posted:

I'm not saying that everyone has received a card or something, but this narrative that hardly anyone who posts in the GPU thread has received a card is untrue. Many of the people who got cards left once they achieved that goal.

It's less "hardly anyone got one" and more "a whole lot of us didn't." Clearly people are getting them, slowly. But we're all impatient beasts and are SHOCKED and APPAULED that we cannot have our toy within the first month, even though all signs pointed to demand greatly outstripping supply for the first few months well before it actually launched.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it’s more that there’s no sign people are going to be able to get a card easily this year.

Nvidia tying Ampere to CP2077 was supposed to be a master stroke so you can’t fault people for being pissed they can’t get a card ahead of it.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

DrDork posted:

It works, yeah. Just not nearly as well as it should. A 3080 will be fine with it (>60FPS on 4k Ultra), but the thing is it's a 4 year old game that was originally aimed at the vanilla PS4, so it should be playable on basically a potato at this point. But it's not, because they hosed the port up badly--a 3080 should be >100FPS on a title like that, not >60.

I'm playing at 1440p and it's usually over 100fps, but yeah, it should be way higher. The PC version of Horizon Zero Dawn is a not so great port of an incredible game in terms of performance, but it still plays great on a 3080.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DrDork posted:

It's less "hardly anyone got one" and more "a whole lot of us didn't." Clearly people are getting them, slowly. But we're all impatient beasts and are SHOCKED and APPAULED that we cannot have our toy within the first month, even though all signs pointed to demand greatly outstripping supply for the first few months well before it actually launched.

Supply greatly unprepared for demand*

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
At some point I'll be looking to add a card, either a 3080 or 3070, into a case that already has two other cards. If I remember correctly they're not making blower versions anymore, so what model would be the best choice for a use case with multiple cards?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ijyt posted:

Supply greatly unprepared for demand*

Hang on a sec, I just had a breakthrough and realized that some people might actually be serious about “it’s supply, not demand” and vice versa. Supply is only a problem if it doesn’t meet demand, and demand is only a problem to the extent that it exceeds supply. You can’t separate them, and there are no good forecasting tools.

“NVIDIA failed to predict the future correctly” isn’t really that damning, and tbqh I think over-manufacturing is much riskier for them than coming up short, if it were even possible to make more given current foundry dynamics.

Or I’m wrong and we’re all joking, which would be much more comfortable.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Listerine posted:

At some point I'll be looking to add a card, either a 3080 or 3070, into a case that already has two other cards. If I remember correctly they're not making blower versions anymore, so what model would be the best choice for a use case with multiple cards?

The FE is half blower, probably your best bet. Yours is not a scenario that gets a lot of attention in the consumer space, though, post-SLI as we see now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Subjunctive posted:

The FE is half blower, probably your best bet. Yours is not a scenario that gets a lot of attention in the consumer space, though, post-SLI as we see now.

Are FE limited edition? I've never paid attention- will it still be possible to get an FE edition if I'm waiting for well after post-launch when I don't have to bot or anything to get a card?