Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Can’t wait for those feudal Yakuza games to be localized when they get remade/remastered and it turns out they’re Just Okay.

please let them be as good as 4/5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

I fired up Megalobox just to gawk at the 80stastic design and poo poo got me hooked.
Also fantastic soundtrack.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

FilthyImp posted:

I fired up Megalobox just to gawk at the 80stastic design and poo poo got me hooked.

The decision to present it in DVD rip resolution is inspired.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I pointedly left a pm from wark about how I couldn't embed full penetration in the romance thread or something unread a year+ ago and now that I'm using the phone app it taunts me with a pop-up every time I open it and I can't clear it because I don't have plat

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's rough, buddy.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Last Celebration posted:

Tbh this feels like a lot of untranslated games imho, like how now it’s agreed that Lost Levels is the worst mainline Mario but back in the day people used it as an example of how we got screwed over. Or how Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance had its highest difficulty taken out of the US release due to JP fan feedback and when people actually played it it turns out it’s largely a tedious slog.

i mean path of radiance's us difficulty changes also resulted in technical problems with the first run of copies of radiant dawn because they didn't program radiant dawn's localization to take into account that path of radiance in the us had an easy mode and then radiant dawn's localization was just incredible weird in general so there was definitely reason to think localization decisions in that era of fire emblem were weird lol

there's definitely lots of precedent for people hyping up untranslated games that turn out to kind of suck but i would never compare most of them to goemon because goemon 2-4 are mostly just janky konami snes platformers and honestly. goemon 1 did get localized and it's much, much worse than goemon 2 lol. for me a real disappointing untranslated game is like, captain rainbow, where the idea behind it is really interesting and then you play it and it's the most boring game any of its developers ever worked on. in comparison moon got translated recently and that game is like. pretty much exactly what it was always built up to be

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the hardest mode in fe9 jp sucks but also theres no reason not to have it especially when fe10 us has the hard mode which also sucks

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Wark Say posted:

That's rough, buddy.

You had the last laugh

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

What an unfortunate name....

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Julias posted:

What an unfortunate name....

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

:tviv:

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/gameinformer/status/1319746448989261824?s=20

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

This is the very much "Cool Robot" Gundam meme level of misreading of a property

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

This is the very much "Cool Robot" Gundam meme level of misreading of a property
i cant believe the author of vinland saga is misreading vinland saga

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

i cant believe the author of vinland saga is misreading vinland saga
Wouldn't be the first time. :v:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I looked and ACV is set in the Great Heathen Army Era which is two hundred years before Vinland lol

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Plutonis posted:

I looked and ACV is set in the Great Heathen Army Era which is two hundred years before Vinland lol

They made Alfred the Great the villain somehow.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

his name is the great...

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

He was a villain on the Vikings tv show from what i remember

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh wait no it was Aella

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The guy who defeated the Vikings was probably not as popular with the Vikings

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Man, nobody told me there's a scene in Bookworm where Myne goes all Darth Vader on a dude. That was awesome.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

i'm only like a half hour into mystical ninja starring goemon and this bit where a random lady ends her dialog faking out a "to be continued" thing is a funnier joke than 90% of what the snes gomeon games had

i wonder if the fact it feels much less mean spirited and more doofy and cute than the snes games is the game itself or cause of its tl but i like it a lot more

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
hell yeah

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

And they both skip Miklagard!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i'm only like a half hour into mystical ninja starring goemon and this bit where a random lady ends her dialog faking out a "to be continued" thing is a funnier joke than 90% of what the snes gomeon games had

i wonder if the fact it feels much less mean spirited and more doofy and cute than the snes games is the game itself or cause of its tl but i like it a lot more
the first n64 game does kind of hate foreigners but also its, actually funny

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i like the little horses you can ride

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

the first n64 game does kind of hate foreigners but also its, actually funny

goemon 2 really hated foreigners and that was some of the funniest jokes in it so i will allow goemon this

also i like that, goemon 3 was the only snes goemon game with a laugh track. meaning mystical ninja on n64 just. decided to bring it back for some reason.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

https://iopn.library.illinois.edu/journals/jams/issue/view/8

The University of Illinois is publishing an academic journal about anime and manga that is free to read and download.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lol the article about nakoruru

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I like how Roy is the only one that’s recognizable here.

https://twitter.com/mariobrothblog/status/1319819989126422529?s=21

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

GorfZaplen posted:

https://iopn.library.illinois.edu/journals/jams/issue/view/8

The University of Illinois is publishing an academic journal about anime and manga that is free to read and download.
This is pretty cool, thanks for sharing.

Mill Village posted:

What do you mean, Sailor Venus is also recognizable?

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Mill Village posted:

After "Wendy" they really didn't want to draw hands anymore did they?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
who does

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

There was at least one animator at KyoAni that did great hands, and I don't know who they are or if they survived.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845076

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
drat I'm watching bookworm s2 because I like the LN and I can see why people dropped the show after seeing the orphanage plotline. It really is not well handled and it absolutely comes off as here's a bunch of non-characters who are miserable. Look how sad they are. Oh look Myne saved them, except not really as they still aren't free and have to do everything she says. They're really grateful though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

we gotta agree though this is a certified banger tho right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEYB09uvKH4