Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
If those hungry children really wanted government handouts they’d incorporate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Comrade Fakename posted:

Did Bradley humiliate himself on Newsnight then?

Not really no.

E: his "in context" argument is that some kids who aren't starving might also get free food. That's it. Best let the rest starve then Ben, can't have a few other kids eating properly for free.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Oct 24, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BBradley_Mans/status/1206155417509863429

Keep digging Ben, Mansfield will become a world leader in geothermal power at this rate.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm honestly starting to respect his posting power level. We may think he's an idiot but this is future Prime Minister levels of instinctive ability to just post through it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/BBradley_Mans/status/1206155417509863429

Keep digging Ben, Mansfield will become a world leader in geothermal power at this rate.

He's digging backwards in time now?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
You can see proof of my ideology in noted historically accurate documentary, Peaky Blinders

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/drew97_/status/1319374067028275200?s=12

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

The worst part of that is "Tory" scans so much better in place of "New York" than "Conservative" but not a single person involved realised. Poor show

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I am impressed at how untopical this. 11 years since JayZ and Alicia Keys did that tune.

Also the Goldie Looking Chain version is better

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
That 16 year old somehow looking identical to the tory mp in ghosts

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/MichaelRosenYes/status/1319937970535804929

So feeding the kids would have cost 0.0084% of current borrowing. Nah can't afford it mate.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1319929440994996224

I'm sure Naga will be in trouble again soon.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 24, 2020

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
5 year gilt rates are negative. Investors literally pay for the privilege of lending the UK money.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/richarda/status/1319911942342008832?s=21

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

You can tell for sure that free school meals don't go to crack dens etc as otherwise Priti Patel would have voted to send them out with explosives in them. Sure a few non-crack dens would get blown up but it's a price the government is willing to pay

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Seems like a lovely thing for an MP to say.

E: Sweet baby jesus

TheRat fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 24, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

peanut- posted:

5 year gilt rates are negative. Investors literally pay for the privilege of lending the UK money.

Yeah people have so much money and nothing to do with it they consider making a tiny loss on it by lending the government the money worth how safe it makes the money

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Tory reaction other organisations stepping is insane.

This sort of private enterprise and charity filling the gap thing is meant to be what they like and believe in. Instead it's become a full masks-off moment about how their only actual motivating ideology is culture war spite.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
the poor-children must be starved and beaten for to build their characters like in wartimes for the good of the nation :mad:

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

This whole affair represents a new low for the Tories. Not the actual policy which is simply in line with their normal extremely high level of cruelty. But rather their indignant reaction to being called out on it. I think they genuinely believed that winning the election meant that the country finally agreed with their worldview.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
112 Mp's writing a letter blaming Rayner for the abuse they're getting for voting to starve children.

I expect Sir Kier to be live on BBC 1 taking the blame and making a statement about learning lessons in 20 minutes.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Too bad the next election is in over 4 years and the electorate will have entirely forgotten about this by then.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

2015-2017-2019 shows that's hardly set in stone

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

TheRat posted:

2015-2017-2019 shows that's hardly set in stone

Do you really think they are going to risk an 80 seat majority and call an early election at any point in the next 4 years?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

ObamaAkbar. posted:

Too bad the next election is in over 4 years and the electorate will have entirely forgotten about this by then.

New polls will come out next week and the Tories will have gone up by two points.

Their vindictive spite genuinely is representative of a large swathe of the English population.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

ObamaAkbar. posted:

Well that's the thing that's striking me more and more - even if you firmly believe in electoralism as the only legitimate path to power, why on earth would you ever limit your activities to sitting out the term and then getting going in election season? Surely you should be actively encouraging anything to force the government to collapse asap and have new elections.

On a side note - lol we've just had 3 elections in 5 years, there's no way things are going to get more stable after the mid-pandemic Brexit, permanent election mode should be every parties thinking.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

2015 and 2017 were slim majorities though, the tories aren't going to call a snap election to have another roll of the dice on an 80 seat majority anytime soon.

e: lol beaten i am fast computer typer

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

ObamaAkbar. posted:

Stuff like this tends to stain a government. People will remember that The Tories are cunts, just not why.

It also helps for the next thing to come along, it will compound, much like what happened to JC.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Keir's strategy is to pretend it is 1993

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

notaspy posted:

Stuff like this tends to stain a government. People will remember that The Tories are cunts, just not why.

It also helps for the next thing to come along, it will compound, much like what happened to JC.

I wish I shared your optimism

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

TheRat posted:

Seems like a lovely thing for an MP to say.

She's not only nicked Ben Bradley's reality-defying "context" excuse but is using, word-for-word, the endlessly mocked non-apology cliche for good measure. She's not just appalling in her opinions, she's brazenly thick and/or spectacularly unoriginal as well:

"The Guardian posted:

She later said her comments had been taken out of context. “I of course deeply regret any offence which may have been caused,” she said.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Niric posted:

She's not only nicked Ben Bradley's reality-defying "context" excuse but is using, word-for-word, the endlessly mocked non-apology cliche for good measure. She's not just appalling in her opinions, she's brazenly thick and/or spectacularly unoriginal as well:

Her full statement is particularly funny because she leads with attacking the businesses offering the food but later on says about someone else having asked local government to use some of their funds to provide the meals and how keen she is to address the issue so she's literally saying 'I want this problem solved but I reject all of the actual solutions offered so far.' which pretty much gives the game away in terms of how much she does care.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

It's notable that we haven't seen Keir or the shadow cabinet joining in putting the boot to the Tories about this. We've had a couple of tweets about Labour councils feeding hungry kids, but nothing drawing attention to the ridiculously scummy things Tories have said. In fact today as the row rages on he seems to be trying to change the subject to the self-employed :bang:

Either he thinks it'll benefit him to not get his hands dirty, or he genuinely thinks 'decorum' prevents him from attacking over them literally starving children.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Or, and hear me out here, Sir Keith also doesn't give a gently caress about starving children

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

jabby posted:

It's notable that we haven't seen Keir or the shadow cabinet joining in putting the boot to the Tories about this. We've had a couple of tweets about Labour councils feeding hungry kids, but nothing drawing attention to the ridiculously scummy things Tories have said. In fact today as the row rages on he seems to be trying to change the subject to the self-employed :bang:

Either he thinks it'll benefit him to not get his hands dirty, or he genuinely thinks 'decorum' prevents him from attacking over them literally starving children.

There's arguably a benefit to just letting the Tory party consistently and repeatedly punch itself in the face on their own, and because Rashford is an apolitical figure (at least in public) they can't just say "oh the Labour party are playing politics with a crisis" like they usually do.

However, the problem there is that everyone who's saying "the Tories are subhuman scum" aren't also saying "... so I will vote Labour" because there's no evidence that the Labour Party support feeding kids.

As ever, centrism is the worst.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ObamaAkbar. posted:

Do you really think they are going to risk an 80 seat majority and call an early election at any point in the next 4 years?

Depends how badly next year goes really.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
To be fair this is just the essence of not interrupting your opponent when they are making a mistake - going hard on them will just lead to people thinking Labour are being opportunists and point-scorers on the issue.

E: f, b

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Keith hasn't been prominent but it was a Labour motion to provide the food vouchers that the Tories voted down the other day no? That seems like fairly explicit support.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

notaspy posted:

They have been in government for 10 years now and are still at least level pegging with Labour. The people are also cunts and will vote for the cunts party.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

peanut- posted:

Keith hasn't been prominent but it was a Labour motion to provide the food vouchers that the Tories voted down the other day no? That seems like fairly explicit support.
It does if you're (like us) broke brained enough to pay attention to who tabled which amendments. For that kind of messaging to get through to normal people, Labour need to be actively seeking out press conferences and media appearances to push that message to a disengaged public.

Maybe sir Cheese still thinks we're in the pre 2019 days of hung parliaments and fbpes obsessively keeping track of who's amending what, but post Corbyn most Labour supporters have given up and stopped doing the party's job for them.

Even Momentum are just taking the piss out of the tories and saying FSM should happen, not that Labour are in support of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

peanut- posted:

Yeah the Labour Party is still actually trying to do things but Starmer has severed any desire for the left activist base and internal groups like Momentum to spread the word and the papers obviously continue not saying positive things about Labour so the party has been reduced to only getting airtime in response to things the Tories are doing.

e: f,b