Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
That makes sense. I was kind of thinking to myself that it was overkill, hence my question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I just upgraded from a silvia to a lelit mara x. With the silvia, I would backflush monthly and didn’t pull extra shots or anything, just ran water until the shower screen was clear, and i never had a shot taste like detergent or anything. I’ve only had the mara for a couple of weeks. I guess if your shower screen isn’t distributing water well without a puck in place, you could maybe get some detergent trapped somewhere? That’s the only reason I can think to do the extra shot. Seems like that wouldn’t be a problem on a good machine though.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Thanks for the reply. Good to know!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm gonna unearth an old debate now, I think: how long does the aroma in ground coffee stay nice and fresh?

I've been trying to find definitive answers on this. Some say that you should use coffee within moments of grinding, although that's something I put more in the realm of golden audiophile woo cables. On the opposite end of the spectrum was an article that claimed that people rated coffee actually higher if the grounds had been resting for a few days in a sealed container.

So, is this really such an open question?

(I don't just wanna test myself because I fear that I won't be able to trust my own senses if I start drinking with this question in mind)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I didn’t think that was really a question? It should just be science.

When you grind the bean the aroma compounds are released and should dissipate fairly quickly. It’s also depends which compounds are being released, and if they can evaporate or change when oxidized. The good ones in coffee are volatile, and aroma compounds need to be released into the air. So the more time the coffee spends ground, the less of that compound remains.

So take a dose of beans, grind it tonight and then grind a fresh set tomorrow and smell the difference. It doesn’t take a long time to lose a lot of those compounds.

Water soluble flavor compounds are different and what ends up in the beverage, but some of them will react and be lost when ground, and if they react to oxygen, the longer it’s been since being ground, the more of the reaction will have occurred and flavors lost.

So, when it’s gone stale will be up to taste preference of the drinker, but it starts to go stale faster as soon as you grind it and break up all those cell walls.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I mean grind fresh of course. Grind night before if you had an early flight to catch. I remember reading on Reddit someone did a tour of the Starbucks place in Seattle and how they were surprised how good the coffee was, when they asked why can’t you buy fresh beans in the cafes the official answer that research shows coffee beans benefit from aging post roast. Pretty funny response. I mean sure if 6 months to get that burnt flavor

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Does anyone else find it much harder to dial in a light roast? I feel like the sweet spot is much smaller than with darker roasts.

I just fine-tuned the new Square Mile Red Brick, and it’s taken me 5 shots to get it right. Good thing their bags come in 350g, not 250. Having said that, it tastes pretty incredible.

Edit: I even waited a full week past the roast date, so it's not as if the beans are still jumpy from the roasting.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 20, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I watched the video where James Hoffman jizzes over the flannel drip so I finally bought a Hario nel drip and I'm a believer now. I'm using some 2 week old beans that normally tastes pretty harsh and it has kind of a syrupy texture now using the nel drip. It's like $12 and you basically use it like any other pour over, buy a nel drip.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Gunder posted:

Does anyone else find it much harder to dial in a light roast? I feel like the sweet spot is much smaller than with darker roasts.

I just fine-tuned the new Square Mile Red Brick, and it’s taken me 5 shots to get it right. Good thing their bags come in 350g, not 250. Having said that, it tastes pretty incredible.

Edit: I even waited a full week past the roast date, so it's not as if the beans are still jumpy from the roasting.

Yeah, the lighter the roast, the harder it is to extract. You generally want a finer grind and a lower dose to get the extraction right and it can be fiddly. I did have one bag that just refused to extract properly, talking to the roaster and a couple of other people who bought from the same batch they all had the same problem so the roaster upped the roast level a bit for the rest of the sack. I don't think super light roasts are good for home espresso in general, save those for pourover. Leave em to baristas at good coffee shops that dial in their shots every morning.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Lord Stimperor posted:

I'm gonna unearth an old debate now, I think: how long does the aroma in ground coffee stay nice and fresh?

I've been trying to find definitive answers on this. Some say that you should use coffee within moments of grinding, although that's something I put more in the realm of golden audiophile woo cables. On the opposite end of the spectrum was an article that claimed that people rated coffee actually higher if the grounds had been resting for a few days in a sealed container.

So, is this really such an open question?

(I don't just wanna test myself because I fear that I won't be able to trust my own senses if I start drinking with this question in mind)

15 minutes, tops, but if you want to grind the night before to load it into your brewer to come on before your alarm goes off, so you can wake up and pour yourself a warm, nourishing cup, well, you’re making a trade off but it could very well be a good one for you.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Mu Zeta posted:

I watched the video where James Hoffman jizzes over the flannel drip so I finally bought a Hario nel drip and I'm a believer now. I'm using some 2 week old beans that normally tastes pretty harsh and it has kind of a syrupy texture now using the nel drip. It's like $12 and you basically use it like any other pour over, buy a nel drip.

Did you leave it in the fridge after like Hoffman?

Which one did you get? (Link?)

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 20, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I've been putting it in the fridge in a rubbermaid plastic container with clean water every time I use it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ANCZH8/ref=twister_B07GC8781J?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I use this 240ml model. It can hold 25-30g of beans. If you already have a V60 it works perfeclty fine with it and you don't need the decanter thing.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Would be interested in how you get on with maintenance etc after a couple of months. Do you plan to use it every day?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No because my first love is always a paper pour over. Maintenance doesn't seem that hard. Keep it in water and wash it in a cafiza cleaning solution every couple weeks if it starts to get too dirty. I know that people in Brazil or SE Asia literally use socks for this and don't do nearly that much cleaning, if at all.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Man, I'm sad now. Idrinkcoffee had a Cafelat Robot on sale as open-box and I missed out on it.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Well I joined the poop sock I mean coffee sock revolution. It comes on Thursday.

Any advice besides putting it in a container in the fridge? Any particular coffees it works well with?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Same here! Was also going to post to ask what method would be good for the cloth filter-- would 4:6 work with it or should I go back to the Hoffmann method with cloth?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Munkaboo posted:

Well I joined the poop sock I mean coffee sock revolution. It comes on Thursday.

Any advice besides putting it in a container in the fridge? Any particular coffees it works well with?

Most coffees should work. I think you'll more bang for your buck with the lighter roasts as the cloth lets through more coffee oils.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Munkaboo posted:

Any advice besides putting it in a container in the fridge?

I know it's counterintuitive but try brewing at a lower temp like 175. If you don't have a thermometer then just get boiling water and let it cool for 3 minutes. A lot of the talk around coffee socks recommends coarser grinds and lower temp so underextraction actually seems to be the goal.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

I know it's counterintuitive but try brewing at a lower temp like 175. If you don't have a thermometer then just get boiling water and let it cool for 3 minutes. A lot of the talk around coffee socks recommends coarser grinds and lower temp so underextraction actually seems to be the goal.

Whaaaaa?? Why? Seems like lower temp and finer would make more sense.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Do you guys have any preferences for non-dairy milks for use in lattes and other milk drinks? I've tried Oatly Barista Edition and Minor Figures so far. Oatly is easy to steam and pour art with, but has a pretty overwhelming oat flavour, which masks the espresso a bit too much, in my opinion. Minor Figures is noticeably sweeter than Oatly and has a much more neutral taste, quite close to real milk, in fact. The only problem is that it's a little more difficult to steam well, and it doesn't pour as nicely either.

Any suggestions?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Have you tried making oatmilk at home? It's basically just oats, water, and I add a bit of cashews to help with the texture. You can also sweeten to your taste. It tends to go bad after a while so you'll have to make small batches. I usually make enough for the weekdays.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Have you tried making oatmilk at home? It's basically just oats, water, and I add a bit of cashews to help with the texture. You can also sweeten to your taste. It tends to go bad after a while so you'll have to make small batches. I usually make enough for the weekdays.

The idea of creating it to order is way more effort than I'm willing to put in. I think Minor Figures is probably the one for now, it's just a little harder to work with.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Gunder posted:

Do you guys have any preferences for non-dairy milks for use in lattes and other milk drinks? I've tried Oatly Barista Edition and Minor Figures so far. Oatly is easy to steam and pour art with, but has a pretty overwhelming oat flavour, which masks the espresso a bit too much, in my opinion. Minor Figures is noticeably sweeter than Oatly and has a much more neutral taste, quite close to real milk, in fact. The only problem is that it's a little more difficult to steam well, and it doesn't pour as nicely either.

Any suggestions?

Have you tried hemp milk? Generally it keeps a good light flavor when steamed, has a somewhat similar texture to actual milk, and can usually be found in most stores. The only drawback is that you have to be soft on steaming it, unless you like a lot of foam.

In terms of brands, I go with Pacific Foods but I think they're local. Luckily, I've also noticed not too much difference between hemp milks except when you change types, such as between sweetened and unsweetened, vanilla vs regular, etc. You generally want to get the sweetened kind as the unsweetened loses a lot of thickness.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

My local vegan recommends you try Trader Joe's and Califia Farms for oat-based beverages. And yeah hemp has a nice earthy tone without being overwhelming like I find most nut juices to be.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

bizwank posted:

My local vegan recommends you try Trader Joe's and Califia Farms for oat-based beverages. And yeah hemp has a nice earthy tone without being overwhelming like I find most nut juices to be.

Unfortunately, Trader Joe's will be difficult to find in the UK, but I will certainly try Califia. Thanks for all your suggestions people!

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Just drank an ill-advised 8pm cup of coffee because I was excited to try that Hario cloth filter-- and it was really good! Gonna have to tinker with the grind some (it drained really really fast at my usual v60 grind) but I'm really impressed. Not sure it will replace paper filters for me but it's great as a treat.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah I've been putting it in the fridge in a rubbermaid plastic container with clean water every time I use it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ANCZH8/ref=twister_B07GC8781J?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I use this 240ml model. It can hold 25-30g of beans. If you already have a V60 it works perfeclty fine with it and you don't need the decanter thing.

Sorry to double post but I wanted to ask-- with a v60 are you using the little ring handle too or do you just drop the filter into the v60?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I use the ring handle but now I'm going to try without it.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
What about the one with no handle?

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Last year I cut the corner of of a cold brew coffee sock and used that as a filter. I put it in a V-60 and it worked totally fine.

Later on I got the cotton hario filter with the handle and I use it with the V60 decanter and it fits perfectly without the actual V60 insert, and more importantly brews perfectly without it. The handle sticks out of the pour spout.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

i own every Bionicle posted:

What about the one with no handle?

RichterIX posted:

Sorry to double post but I wanted to ask-- with a v60 are you using the little ring handle too or do you just drop the filter into the v60?

Welp I feel stupid. If you have a V60 you don't need the ring handle either. Just buy the cloth. I think a 3-pack is available for cheap.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Big Bidness posted:

Last year I cut the corner of of a cold brew coffee sock and used that as a filter. I put it in a V-60 and it worked totally fine.

Later on I got the cotton hario filter with the handle and I use it with the V60 decanter and it fits perfectly without the actual V60 insert, and more importantly brews perfectly without it. The handle sticks out of the pour spout.

Men coffee glass ware is just so beautiful. I need to try out pour-over anyway at some point, might gift myself something nice this winter.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

hypnophant posted:

I’m really not trying to poo poo on you, and i’m sorry my earlier post came off that way. Not everyone likes the taste of coffee and that’s fine, even in the coffee thread. If all you want is something vaguely espresso-like to add milk and sugar to, that’s ok too! I just don’t get how you landed on a nespresso machine to get you there. The nespresso is not that cheap either, for what you get, and if you’re willing to go to the effort to load up a reusable pod why not just make a moka pot or an aeropress? Both of which can give you something concentrated enough to milk up, for what looks like less effort to me, and for a lower outlay.

I went ahead and purchased a 3cup Moka pot since I figured having a way to make reasonably strong coffee for a latte without electricity might be useful anyway, and could use that to have a possible alternative that you were talking up.

Overall, I'd say it's a less enjoyable cup. If I sweeten it up with 5 or 6 teaspoons of stevia it's drinkable along with some steamed almond milk. More work to setup and clean than my DIY pod system for my nespresso too, and that has the option to just pop in an official pod if I'm in a hurry.

I would say I still think I made the right call, for me at least, in getting the Nespresso and DIY pod, but I don't regret getting the Moka Pot for making coffee if the power goes out or if I go camping.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Moka pots can be pretty fiddly but you can get a really good drink out of them if you nail it. It can be tough to get the temp right (starting with boiling water helps) and getting it off the heat at the right time is important too

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Mu Zeta posted:

Welp I feel stupid. If you have a V60 you don't need the ring handle either. Just buy the cloth. I think a 3-pack is available for cheap.

Thanks, just ordered a 3 pack of 480 ml socks for my 02 V60; should have them tomorrow. Looking forward to comparing them to the Cafec filters.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I've been enjoying the Hario drip pot quite a bit. It's basically the glass holder for the socks. It makes a really clean cup.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

RichterIX posted:

Moka pots can be pretty fiddly but you can get a really good drink out of them if you nail it. It can be tough to get the temp right (starting with boiling water helps) and getting it off the heat at the right time is important too

That's a big understatement. I had Cuban friends make it for me many times post dinner parties and while drinkable it was always flavored heavily with sugar. It took me a good year of trial and error to nail a perfect moka pot with no yellow bubbles coming out along with the smooth brown coffee. So many variables to producing a great cup but it's also enjoyable to me. That being said it's not an early morning routine for me, mostly an afternoon thing or when I am making some barbajadas for friends. It's a great method for that sweet drink

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Is there any general go-to recommendation for home espresso machines? Especially ones with grinders? My wife was drooling over the Breville Oracle, but the reviews about it dying hard after 2 years make us not want to spend that much. But I really like the idea that the grinding process doesn't leave a huge mess of wasted coffee that missed the basket. We currently use one of the cheaper Breville models that's really been the MVP this lockdown, but it doesn't have a lot of oomph. And that shows when the store grinds our coffee too fine and it just can't push through. Plus the steam wand is also on the weaker side and takes a while to get the job done (we're both latte drinkers).

Any recs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

NZAmoeba posted:

Is there any general go-to recommendation for home espresso machines? Especially ones with grinders? My wife was drooling over the Breville Oracle, but the reviews about it dying hard after 2 years make us not want to spend that much. But I really like the idea that the grinding process doesn't leave a huge mess of wasted coffee that missed the basket. We currently use one of the cheaper Breville models that's really been the MVP this lockdown, but it doesn't have a lot of oomph. And that shows when the store grinds our coffee too fine and it just can't push through. Plus the steam wand is also on the weaker side and takes a while to get the job done (we're both latte drinkers).

Any recs?

If you search back through bizwank's posts in this thread I think there have been a few entry level recommendations over the years. I've never made the plunge but I try to remember their posts in case I ever do