Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Mizuti posted:

Normally I wouldn't tell a friend to avoid something so subjective, but ehhhh.

I mean my take is it depends way more on what your friend is looking for which you probably, in hindsight, have a better grasp on than I would to be fair. (I also disagree with how bad your framing Blue Lions as a character study but again, friends tastes etc)

Mizuti posted:

I have no interest in playing with permadeath on, but I'm curious what happens to the game if you do.

Short and cheeky comment: it becomes a much better game.

Longer answer, permadeath in Fire Emblem has never been a game over except for the Lord/maincharacters/Failed chapter specific side objectives. When other party members die midchapter its always your call whether to reset for them and try to do the chapter over again. In Three Houses cases of course there's burning a Divine Pulse as an option in all these cases. People have also solo'd the game with Byleth and/or Lords so far, so thats a thing even without killing anyone off for memes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
You also intentionally kill off most of your house in the speed run because the extraneous characters take up time

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Path of Radiance is insanely reactive about character death. There's a bunch of variations on basically every cutscene in the first act, depending on who's alive for it. If you've played that one, there's a bunch of compilation videos on YouTube worth checking out just to see how different the tone can be. There's also a couple couple dynamic supports; one I recall is that Makalov has a support where he's picking flowers to placate his sister who once again had chewed him up for being a lazy fuckup, but if she's dead, he's out picking her favorite flowers for her grave and is way more somber and reflective.

Most Fire Emblem games (I think Three Houses included, but with Divine Pulse I haven't actually let anyone die), just designate a handful of characters as plot-important, and if they ever "die" in combat, they retreat and are too wounded to fight again, but can still hang around to talk in cutscenes. I think this extends to all the lieutenant-type characters, like Seteth, Hubert, Gilbert and Hilda. All the plot cutscenes focus on these characters and the lords, and they're the ones who are mentioned in other characters' support conversations.

It's pretty subtle, but noticable if you're looking for it. Like, Dimitri, Felix, Sylvain and Ingrid are close as siblings, but they will never mention anyone but Dimitri by name in their supports, because it's entirely possible that the others have been dead for five years by the time the conversation takes place.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
More reasons Path of Radiance was one of the best Fire Emblem games narratively.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Path of Radiance is insanely reactive about character death. There's a bunch of variations on basically every cutscene in the first act, depending on who's alive for it. If you've played that one, there's a bunch of compilation videos on YouTube worth checking out just to see how different the tone can be. There's also a couple couple dynamic supports; one I recall is that Makalov has a support where he's picking flowers to placate his sister who once again had chewed him up for being a lazy fuckup, but if she's dead, he's out picking her favorite flowers for her grave and is way more somber and reflective.

Most Fire Emblem games (I think Three Houses included, but with Divine Pulse I haven't actually let anyone die), just designate a handful of characters as plot-important, and if they ever "die" in combat, they retreat and are too wounded to fight again, but can still hang around to talk in cutscenes. I think this extends to all the lieutenant-type characters, like Seteth, Hubert, Gilbert and Hilda. All the plot cutscenes focus on these characters and the lords, and they're the ones who are mentioned in other characters' support conversations.

It's pretty subtle, but noticable if you're looking for it. Like, Dimitri, Felix, Sylvain and Ingrid are close as siblings, but they will never mention anyone but Dimitri by name in their supports, because it's entirely possible that the others have been dead for five years by the time the conversation takes place.

In general this is the reason why most FE games will only have a few characters in the majority of cutscenes. The other reason is that you may have not recruited X but that’s less of a reason in 3H.

For PoR, this is Ike, Titania, Soren, and Elincia.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Three Houses does change some supports depending on which characters are still alive and on your side. There's at least one support between Felix and Sylvain where they mention Ingrid, and they talk about her differently if she's not around anymore, IIRC.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yeah there is a tiny amount of support reactivity. it's kinda weird since it seems entirely randomly strewn about into a couple of supports but no others

although most of the instances i can think of are stuff that i haven't confirmed myself at all, they just feel that way. like ashe and annette looking for annette's doll that gilbert gives her in a different support. would that have different dialogue if you didn't do gilbert's? who knows

or marianne mentioning in one conversation something that sylvain says to her in their support together

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I think it was brought up here earlier even that there's a support pair that requires a third character to be alive or else it won't trigger.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Most people miss these sort've twists and little touches because most people keep everyone alive on their playthroughs. It doesn't help that 3 Houses heavily encourages that and character death is harsher than in past instalments on a mechanical level further incentivizing using Divine Pulse to save people.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, the only reason I decided to say "gently caress it" and continue my CF run despite Bernie loving dying was that I bothered to train Shamir.

Here lies Bernie, she almost scored.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

What I did notice and find quite cool is if you recruit 1 character from another house but not a friend of theirs they react badly when they kill them in following missions. Also special dialogue if you make them fight each other

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

What I did notice and find quite cool is if you recruit 1 character from another house but not a friend of theirs they react badly when they kill them in following missions. Also special dialogue if you make them fight each other

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Felix's dialogue for killing his dad and all his friends is low key some of the best stuff in Crimson Flower, yeah

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Felix's dialogue for killing his dad and all his friends is low key some of the best stuff in Crimson Flower, yeah

Annette and Mercedes also have some amazing dialogue.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The most heart wrenching dialogue is talking to Dorothea after taking the great bridge and not recruiting Ferdinand.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Finished Golden Deer campaign today, was happy with the results. It has some unique and flavorful content, shame that it's so backloaded! It also answered most of the nagging plot questions that Blue Lions left hanging. I feel satisfied now.

The final boss was kinda random and didn't tie into the political drama that is the game's backbone, but at least it created a nice symmetry between the beginning and end of the game. Claude just had to ruin the moment with a hammy friendship speech, though. :nallears:

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Claude's speech was great. :colbert:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Good to hear! I think you'll also enjoy Crimson Flower; definitely give that a whirl when you've had enough of a break to play through White Clouds yet yet again.

As for Silver Snow, the difference between that and Verdant Wind is Seteth and the Church/Black Lions will replace Claude and the Golden Deer, a couple of Alliance/Almyra cutscenes are replaced with bonding with Seteth and Flayn, and the lore dumps go down a slightly different tangent because Claude isn't around to ask history questions. The Battle at Grondar is replaced with a cutscene, and the final battle is a different unique map. That is it. The final map is really good, and I like Seteth a lot more than Claude, but the content difference is real slim.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/hi_im_nave_/status/1260210743175270403

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

:eyepop: Powerful content

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

How hard is it to recruit people? What level support do you usually need? I think I'm in chapter 7 or 8 and I'm only really trying for about 2 people and they're not interested so far. Been trying to gift them, bring them along for missions and have meals, etc with them for a little bit to no avail.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Suburban Dad posted:

How hard is it to recruit people? What level support do you usually need? I think I'm in chapter 7 or 8 and I'm only really trying for about 2 people and they're not interested so far. Been trying to gift them, bring them along for missions and have meals, etc with them for a little bit to no avail.

Pretty much everyone starts asking to auto join after you get B support, basically it rolls a random chance each week after that. The only people you can't recruit this way are those with supports locked behind time skips, like Ferdinand, I forgot off the top of my head who else.

https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/characters/recruitment/

This is everyones requirements through the normal methods, if you increase support levels it lowers the required thresholds. You need to pay attention to the thing they say they're interested in and improve your Byleth's stats/skill in that area otherwise.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Suburban Dad posted:

It depends. Technically you can recruit them at no support level, but the stat requirements decrease the more you raise your supports with them. There's also a slim random chance every week for them to join you if you have a B support with them which bypasses the stat requirements.

Who are you going after specifically?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/characters/recruitment/ At C rank it's usually 15~ in the required stat, C~ rank in the skill. B rank reduces it further and gives them a chance to ask to join, A rank means they join 100% of the time, usually just a NG+ thing.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's basically very easy except for a few people who want stats Byleth will never normally have, like Ferdinand, who you'll have to deliberately go after by training armor, god help you.

Once you get to New Game Plus it just becomes "very easy."

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Golden deer, I was going after mercedes and ashe only. This is all new to me so I don't know wtf I'm doing generally. I'm mostly spending the days off eating with my dudes so I can teach them with more motivation. I have no idea what my own stats even are at this point, haven't really trained myself up. Should I put more focus on myself? Basically doing the above and then random battling for side missions.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Mercedes and Ashe you should be able to recruit just by getting B-rank supports with them and they'll eventually ask to join you of their own accord. Taking them with you on missions for the month also helps build support with them.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

My own guys are only around B level support at this point. I'll keep grinding them up.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Suburban Dad posted:

I have no idea what my own stats even are at this point, haven't really trained myself up.

You can press x to view the status screen for characters in a number of menus such as the calendar page for each week, preps before battle, and in the monestary. highlight your Byleth and you can see all his stats on his own stat pages, same for everyone else. You can raise Byleth's skills in battle or by doing Faculty training in the monastery. You should have had a tutorial on that by now.

3 Houses has a lot of menus.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 24, 2020

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I know how to get to them, just haven't really focused on training myself. They do a good job mentioning everything but not going into enough detail (or I was overloaded during all the tutorials) for some things. I didn't figure out that my stats mattered until trying to recruit. Or that authority wasn't really used for class masteries like the other stats, just battalions from what I can tell. First FE game and I don't usually go for this genre so it's a lot to take in. I'm sure there's still tons of little things that I missed or could be doing better.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The good news is the game is good at pointing you in the direction of things that will work. Your students will ask if they can focus on certain classes and those classes are good for them, so just doing that means that they will be alright. I would ensure you're always doing Choir Practice and as many meals as possible to get that valuable professor EXP. Also always be gardening.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Deltasquid posted:

Mercedes and Ashe you should be able to recruit just by getting B-rank supports with them and they'll eventually ask to join you of their own accord. Taking them with you on missions for the month also helps build support with them.

I'm quoting this because when I was doing my first playthrough I also didn't really understand all the mechanics behind recruiting characters, and this is a really useful one.

Ask the character to go on missions with you for that month. You can do this starting a couple months into the game. Make them an adjutant with Byleth and every battle Byleth engages in will build some support points with them.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Actually you can also just park them across the map and everything they do builds support with Byleth IIRC. So they can fight some mooks without standing next to Byleth and still build support with you.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Suburban Dad posted:

I know how to get to them, just haven't really focused on training myself. They do a good job mentioning everything but not going into enough detail (or I was overloaded during all the tutorials) for some things. I didn't figure out that my stats mattered until trying to recruit. Or that authority wasn't really used for class masteries like the other stats, just battalions from what I can tell. First FE game and I don't usually go for this genre so it's a lot to take in. I'm sure there's still tons of little things that I missed or could be doing better.

Right, you said you didn't know what your Byleth's stats were so I was just pointing out how you can find them.

You can look up the exact stats / skill ranks the given characters need from Byleth to join you in the link Emi and I posted and just figure out from there if you need to raise something based on where your Byleth is at. Increasing support lowers the requirements. Like Ashe default just wants Byleth to have 15 Charm and C in Lance rank to join you.

I mentioned the tutorial because it unlocks the ability to do Faculty training in the first place, which is the main way to raise stuff like riding on Byleth.

Or you can do the B support rank thing with the given character, have meals with the character that both participants enjoy and you'll raise their support rank with Byleth pretty quickly, SerenesForest also has everyone's prefered Gifts and Lost Items too. Some of the default requirements are honestly really easy to get though.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Deltasquid posted:

Actually you can also just park them across the map and everything they do builds support with Byleth IIRC. So they can fight some mooks without standing next to Byleth and still build support with you.

But generally, you don't want to leave that XP on the table. It's still more efficient to make them adjutants. Any mooks they fight/kill just takes experience away from the rest of your team. You lose less if they just get the adjutant fraction.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I'm almost at the end of part one of my Crimson Flower unusual class route.

Lysithea is doing really well as a Swordmaster, with both swords and bows. (I thought about making her an Assassin, but I think she needs the strength boost more than the speed boost.) I'm tempted to make her a Mortal Savant when she hits 30, but looking at what its abilities are, I don't know if it would be that great. The black magic boost does nothing for her, but at least she would be able to use magic, but on the other hand she's doing ok damage with weapons, so maybe keeping the swordmaster's crit boosting ability is better.

Constance and Linhardt are amazing War Monk/Clerics. (Fun fact: The Japanese name for a War Cleric is literally "Battle Sister".) I'm leaving Constance in this class for the rest of the game because there isn't really anything else to put her in if I want to keep using fists. I MIGHT make Linhardt a War Master if I can get his axe level up to A, but it's not looking good due to his bane. I might have him instead switch to Grappler once he's mastered War Monk since the master ability looks like it might be useful.

Leonie is also turning out to be a pretty good Valkyrie. She has good enough speed and strength that she doubles a lot even with the hit to speed from being a horse class. (This is Hard mode though.)

I'm thinking of making Ferdinand into a Dark Knight just because it's a class I've barely ever used, and he can't go Valkyrie or Gremory. I might make Bernadetta a Holy Knight because it's a class that I have literally NEVER used. The White Tomefaire ability looks kinda meh when compared to Dark Knight's Black Tomefaire, but whatever.

Edelgard is a really good Warlock, and I just got a Bolt Axe+ for her. I think I'm going to have her go Dark Flyer because her bane in Faith makes Gremory kind of unattractive to go for.

Mercedes is finally doing ok as a Sniper. It took her most of the first half of the game, but she can finally deal some damage. I got a Magic Bow for her, and that helps too. She's probably going to stick with Sniper through endgame since I don't feel like grinding out her Lance ranks for Bow Knight.

Hubert is also turning into a good Sniper, and I think I will go Bow Knight with him.

Dorothea is a Trickster with a Levin Sword, and the Dancer abilities. She still does awful damage with physical weapons, but at least I can finally use her magic after sending her up through sword classes all game.

This playthrough was a bit more challenging than normal in the early game, but since it's only Hard, and it's a New Game+, at this point it doesn't seem to be any more challenging than normal.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Inu posted:

Edelgard is a really good Warlock, and I just got a Bolt Axe+ for her. I think I'm going to have her go Dark Flyer because her bane in Faith makes Gremory kind of unattractive to go for.

Ah, but think about it this way. Edelgard with her Armored Lord model and Gremory animations are hilariously good.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Hello it's me, the guy still mad armored lord/emperor can't cast magic

Edelgard has the least unique personal class and it's so sad. Like, claude obviously has wyvern lord but with bowfaire and bowrange, dimitri has the only infantry lance class, and edelgard has... fortress knight with +1 movement. Wow.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Saaaame. She's inspired by Arvis, let her use magic!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Amppelix posted:

Hello it's me, the guy still mad armored lord/emperor can't cast magic

Edelgard has the least unique personal class and it's so sad. Like, claude obviously has wyvern lord but with bowfaire and bowrange, dimitri has the only infantry lance class, and edelgard has... fortress knight with +1 movement. Wow.

Barbossa doesn't actually have bow range because it would overload on abilities otherwise. Which really means it should have it because wyvern.