Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

eke out posted:

i assume his message to allison is "with your key, i could effortlessly murder these demiurges, rather than have a long war where lots of people die" but... yeah when your ultimate goal is cosmic murder it's not a very good argument

I think the calculus here is that he could kill everyone alive and do it quickly, or kill them in a slow and painful campaign along with everyone else born in the meantime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

YaketySass posted:

I think the calculus here is that he could kill everyone alive and do it quickly, or kill them in a slow and painful campaign along with everyone else born in the meantime.
Yeah, I could see Jag with Allison's key just initiating a cosmic metastability event to kill everyone/everything instantly before they could even feel it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

*Obligatory Jagganoth is Thanos meme*

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Thanos killed the universe to impress a disinterested crush. Noble Jagganoth wishes to kill the omniverse to end suffering in all of its myriad and vile forms.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I have a feeling Allison is going to lose her key.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

skaianDestiny posted:

I have a feeling Allison is going to lose her key.
Does she look keyless in the chapter title shot? Nay, she will lose her friends.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Holy poo poo Jagganoth is this dude: https://killsixbilliondemons.fandom.com/wiki/The_Tale_of_Yaun

quote:

Yaun hid. The men roamed about the village, looking for him, two at a time, their feet treading down the soft earth of the smouldering village. Each footfall like a battering ram.

“God and his saints will protect us,” his mother had said, but they hadn’t. His mother had been split from nape to nave by a broadsword. He had never known there was so much blood in a person.

Yaun would have survived, would have stayed in that village, but he was the unluckiest son, and always had been. In among the men came Jantris, tallest of the dead men. He was a star warrior who wielded a vorpal sword art. His brow was clad with precious stones and his clothing was finer than the others, and less smeared with blood. Yaun could feel the heat of his breath even from his hiding place, but his limbs were too frozen with fear to move.

It took them less than an hour to find him, petrified, under the old water trough where he clung to the mud. He had been bathed in that trough, when he was a baby, and played with the pigs.

He was brought before Jantris, and the men laughed like hyenas, and made a motion as if to chop off his head with their bare hands, but they didn’t. Instead, Jantris, tallest of the storm lords, leant down to Yaun. His eyes were bright, like glowing smoke.

“Now you are dead,” he said, and handed him the hilt of a sword.

King of Swords 9-93

---

Yaun cried at first, for his family, but then the men, with their hyena faces and lolling tongues, would slap him until he stopped.

“Dead men have no families,” they said to him. They painted his skin with the burned ashes of his village and forbade him to wash. The sword that the star lord had given him was a rough tool, and heavy, far too large for his small frame. He couldn’t cry so he bit his tongue and tried to remember home, and his mother, but all he could think about was the raw smell of blood.

King of Swords 9-94

---

“I cannot remember my home,” said Yaun.

“We will beat it out of you eventually,” they said plainly, “Every trace.”

King of Swords 9-95

--

The men with the hyena faces did what they had promised.

“You will forget the face of your mother,” they said to him, so he did, between each crack of the lash. Instead, he learned how best to clean their weapons and wash their blood soaked clothing. He carried water, spare boots, and ammunition.

Yaun worked very hard, for he had been an obedient son, and grew quite strong, for he constantly lugged around that heavy iron sword the master of the company had given him, and the men with hyena faces ate extremely well. The whole company ate well in those times. It was a fat age for killers. They tramped from town to town where men with perfumed breath and powdered faces would pay them for every lopped off hand. Often they would come right back to the home of a former employer on the behest of a new master, and burn it to ashes. Each time they visited a town, they would find or make many motherless little boys to make into dead men, and so their company grew tenfold.

Eventually Yaun became aware that some time had passed, and nearly everything had been beaten out of him. All that was left was just a set of eyeballs in a hollow skull atop an overlarge body with callused hands, and feet that kept tramping forward. It was oddly freeing.

Jantris was crowned with stars and had a long stemmed pipe of fine make he kept about him. His skin was smooth and dark and his eyes were a lion’s eyes.

“Now that you are completely dead,” he said to Yaun one day, “We can fill you with useful knowledge.”

King of Swords 9-98

--

You are already a dead man. From the moment you started to exist, death has bored into your ribcage and settled in your chest. It has its fingers into your very bones. When you are born, death is very small and weak, but he grows stronger every second, until he will wear you like a second skin. Do not fool yourself into thinking he is not there. You will feel him. Do not deny his presence. You must swallow death, and make him a part of you, and make of your ribcage a home for him.”

-Yaun, the dead

King of Swords 10-143

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I note that Jagganoth is missing the same eye Allison is going to lose. Is this going to end up being some kind of Odin thing?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Darth Walrus posted:

I note that Jagganoth is missing the same eye Allison is going to lose. Is this going to end up being some kind of Odin thing?

No, I think she is gonna just get mutilated by a giant fight man with many swords.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Jag in the title card page also has two eyes again, make of that what you might

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

PMush Perfect posted:

I genuinely hope we don't get another whole mini-arc exploring why Jagg is big and strong and sad.

We actually already have, funnily enough. :v:

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
She started looking like Incubus in the previous books, I guess Harlockison could symbolically be more similar to Jagganoth for some reason.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Is the thing we're gonna hate is Allison falling for Jag's scam?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Clearly Jagganoth is Allison from the future, it's the only explanation for the eyes.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Joe Slowboat posted:

E: We already know why he's big and strong and sad, Yaun ten Jantris is a name we know already.

I had no idea who that was until I read this thread.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

GunnerJ posted:

I had no idea who that was until I read this thread.
This is why you read the text under the strips. :colbert:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I honestly don't like most of that text? Just something about its style annoys me in a way the same type of stuff would not in the comic. So I typically don't read it. :shrug:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I think the thing we're about to hate is Allison being mentally and physically tortured by Jagganoth on screen...

E: ^^^ You're missing a large chunk of the story's background context by skipping it.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

GunnerJ posted:

I honestly don't like most of that text? Just something about its style annoys me in a way the same type of stuff would not in the comic. So I typically don't read it. :shrug:

:mods:

Absolute scandal

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

There Bias Two posted:

E: ^^^ You're missing a large chunk of the story's background context by skipping it.

I don't enjoy it, so oh well. But this is the first time reading the comic that I actually feel like I've missed out on anything by not reading it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

There is so much context and flavor in those stories, and many are written much in the grandiose way of parables and koans, which is why i think you dislike them. Personally, however, I dont see much difference in how the stories and the comic are written.

At the very least, read the silver prince.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
I feel extremely dumb for forgetting that the skull was a part of the helmet and not Jaggie's actual face.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

There is so much context and flavor in those stories, and many are written much in the grandiose way of parables and koans, which is why i think you dislike them. Personally, however, I dont see much difference in how the stories and the comic are written.

That's the stylistic issue, it reads like a lot of worldbuilding draft notes that aren't usually intended for outside consumption, like out-takes from the K6BD version of The Silmarillion. It is not to dissimilar from how a lot of characters talk in the comic but there's something grounding about that kind of thing coming from a character placed in the world and usually with an audience of a Normal Earth Person trying to make sense of it. Lacking that it's just purple prose, to me.

I'm not going to keep defending the fact that I don't like the under text because I am not attacking anyone for liking it. But I also want to mention that the term capital-R Royalty is something I am not sure comes up in the comic (or maybe only in passing? idk) because I only remember first encountering it reading this thread. It's also something that I don't think I am missing much for not "getting" by not reading the under text because from what I can tell, as a background worldbuilding concept, it's clear enough in the way the comic shows its characters acting even without a term to put to it.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

That's the stylistic issue, it reads like a lot of worldbuilding draft notes that aren't usually intended for outside consumption, like out-takes from the K6BD version of The Silmarillion. It is not to dissimilar from how a lot of characters talk in the comic but there's something grounding about that kind of thing coming from a character placed in the world and usually with an audience of a Normal Earth Person trying to make sense of it. Lacking that it's just purple prose, to me.

I'm not going to keep defending the fact that I don't like the under text because I am not attacking anyone for liking it. But I also want to mention that the term capital-R Royalty is something I am not sure comes up in the comic (or maybe only in passing? idk) because I only remember first encountering it reading this thread. It's also something that I don't think I am missing much for not "getting" by not reading the under text because from what I can tell, as a background worldbuilding concept, it's clear enough in the way the comic shows its characters acting even without a term to put to it.

I had honestly totally missed the text in my first read through. It was checking out the SA thread and wondering wtf everyone was talking about that made me look deeper.

I still haven't read all the text, need to psyche myself up for another read-through with all the text included.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Donkringel posted:

I still haven't read all the text, need to psyche myself up for another read-through with all the text included.

That's probably what I'm going to do once it's all over, but for now I want to see things from the same fish-out-of-water perspective as the main character (which is another reason I think I've avoided reading it).

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'm not reading the under-comic text either, for all the reasons you described.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

GunnerJ posted:

That's probably what I'm going to do once it's all over, but for now I want to see things from the same fish-out-of-water perspective as the main character (which is another reason I think I've avoided reading it).

then it is a peculiar choice to follow this thread, a goon thread for this comic, i.e. the place where every nook and cranny will be mulched to a fine powder of detail and cross-referenced in terms of lore with the intricacy of a schizophrenic's yarn board

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I feel like the text is so essential to the comic overall - I honestly would miss it in a print version. There's so much worldbuilding in there, and I really enjoy the quasi-mythical way of storytelling. But it's a sign of great storytelling that K6BD works very well even without it - just hinting at concepts and depth that very much exists.

Also, Aesma is hilarious

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The text is essential to the full KSBD experience for Intra alone.

Anyone else thought there would be a full book for each of the Seven like with Mottom, Mammon and Solomon David? Incubus has had his equivalent moment in the spotlight through Allison and Maya but I feel like we don't know as much about Gog-Agog, Jagganoth and Jadis, with much of what we know being out-of-comic lore.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 24, 2020

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I am amused that when you gently caress up bad enough the Paternum uses your full name so you know you're really in trouble

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Straight White Shark posted:

I am amused that when you gently caress up bad enough the Paternum uses your full name so you know you're really in trouble

Livid Dad Energy. What do you think about groundings, girl?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Lights posted:

Livid Dad Energy. What do you think about groundings, girl?

House arrest is a perpetual grounding motion

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The thing we won't like is she'll say yes and Jagganoth will join the party

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DarkCrawler posted:

The text is essential to the full KSBD experience for Intra alone.

Anyone else thought there would be a full book for each of the Seven like with Mottom, Mammon and Solomon David? Incubus has had his equivalent moment in the spotlight through Allison and Maya but I feel like we don't know as much about Gog-Agog, Jagganoth and Jadis, with much of what we know being out-of-comic lore.

I feel like we had introduction & Mottom, then Mammon and Incubus, then Solomon and Gog-Agog, and now we have Jagganoth & Jadis.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Holy poo poo, :five:

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Since he's planning to nuke reality, more like an especially radioactive rock.

Also, :five:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Straight White Shark posted:

ngl, until you said this I had thought his name was the code word to activate the pact.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

maswastaken posted:

Since he's planning to nuke reality, more like an especially radioactive rock.

Also, :five:

I think that Young Shaven Incubus, not Big Sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Note also Jaggs's one eye. I'm wondering whether dude might also be part of the mysterious Cycle as a Zeus/Odin-type figure.