Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
It's never such a simple binary, it would be nice if it was. Take, for example, Spain:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/07/17/upshot/coronavirus-face-mask-map.html

Spain has had harsh lockdowns, wears more masks than Japan (at least back in July) and significantly more than the US - yet is still getting hammered right now. There are so many factors that are relevant, but above and beyond all of them is individual behaviour. Masks help, but they are by nature infinitely worse than not being outside in the first place.

Masks slow but don't prevent the spread of the virus. Only stringent lockdowns offer any efficacy in that regard. Why is Europe spiking? It's just been a natural bounce back from most countries ending lockdown. If anything mask use is far, far higher across all of Europe than it was in the early days. I think most Europeans would attest to that. What's different now than back in April is that there are several times as many people going about their daily lives, masked up or otherwise.

All things held equal, Europe should fare worse than the US simply based on population density and lifestyle. To use Spain, again, consider the fact that 2/3 of all Spaniards live in apartments, proportionally double that of the US. Shopping delivery is far less culturally relevant, consumers shop more frequently at smaller shops by foot rather than by car, public transport is far more relevant to the average citizen, youth unemployment in Spain is more than 2x higher than the US - the potential factors go on and on. Belgium has notoriously been shredded by COVID - they have an urban population of over 98%, the highest in the world that isn't just a city-state. I don't mean to sound glib, but when the virus is already endemic and not controlled, masks or no masks, what really matters is how many people there are in one place and how often they come into contact with each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
France has extended curfews to about half the country starting last night. It is forbidden to be out between the hours of 9pm to 6am... unless you’re working, going to work, coming back from work or walking your dog. In other words, until covid mutates into a werevirus that only comes out at night during full moons, we’re hosed and aren’t doing poo poo to stop the spread. School being currently out is probably doing more for saving us than the business killing half measures our government puts out.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Jeza posted:

mask use is far, far higher across all of Europe than it was in the early days. I think most Europeans would attest to that
no

it is higher, but also still absolute dogshit and only moderately higher, and not anything close to what you see in hong kong or japan

yes the spikes are mainly driven by lockdown behavior

however this is only because masks are universally worn so little and so inconsistently that their dampening effects are mild at best

remember community masks only work if an overwhelming majority of people wears them highly consistently whenever they are anywhere remotely close to people

if that is not given, then yes, lockdown is the only workable option

but please don't act like masks are meaningless because of their own merit when this is only the case because masks are being completely loving half-assed

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

The abandonment of contact tracing should be all the evidence any of us needs that this is spreading in the workplace

That’s the only reason it’s being abandoned. Because it will show we have to lockdown all workplaces and capital will kill us all before it does that.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

agreed on that

i work 100% remote and i constantly see people on video calls in groups of 2 or 3 in front of a camera and mic with none of them wearing a mask

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jeza posted:

Why is Europe spiking? It's just been a natural bounce back from most countries ending lockdown.

That’s not a mechanism, though. The virus isn’t actually a bouncy ball. If it can be modelled by one, well that’s convenient, but they’re similar only by coincidence.

What’s really at play? Fear? Are Americans voluntarily declining group activities that Europeans are erroneously comfortable with? Are they both essentially on the same exponential trajectory, America just has a smaller exponent due to density?

Jeza posted:

All things held equal, Europe should fare worse than the US simply based on population density and lifestyle.

Sure, all else equal, but this factor has been proven to be less of the be‐all, end‐all that everyone outside of New York City wishfully thought it was.

Jeza posted:

Shopping delivery is far less culturally relevant

I don’t think Americans are doing that much anymore. Stores have been cutting way back on days and hours that curbside pickup is available.

I guess to the extent it has been and still is available, it helps, but I don’t expect the magnitude is major.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 24, 2020

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Platystemon posted:

That’s not a mechanism, though. The virus isn’t actually a bouncy ball. If it can be modelled by one, well that’s convenient, but they’re similar only by coincidence.

What’s really at play? Fear? Are Americans voluntarily declining group activities that Europeans are erroneously comfortable with? Are they both essentially on the same exponential trajectory, America just has a smaller exponent due to density?

Sure, all else equal, but this factor has been proven to be less of the be‐all, end‐all that everyone outside of New York City wishfully thought it was.

I don’t think Americans are doing that much anymore. Stores have been cutting way back on days and hours that curbside pickup is available.

I guess to the extent it has been and still is available, it helps, but I don’t expect the magnitude is major.

I wonder if witnessing American incompetence is contributing to a false sense of security abroad to some degree.

"We're not so selfish and reckless as Americans, so this won't affect us the same way. Their spikes are the result of uniquely American problems."

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Mithaldu posted:

no

it is higher, but also still absolute dogshit and only moderately higher, and not anything close to what you see in hong kong or japan

yes the spikes are mainly driven by lockdown behavior

however this is only because masks are universally worn so little and so inconsistently that their dampening effects are mild at best

remember community masks only work if an overwhelming majority of people wears them highly consistently whenever they are anywhere remotely close to people

if that is not given, then yes, lockdown is the only workable option

but please don't act like masks are meaningless because of their own merit when this is only the case because masks are being completely loving half-assed

Sure. But I was responding to the idea that the US is doing better than Europe as an amorphous whole because they are better about masks, because there are plenty of places in Europe where mask use is categorically more embraced/enforced that the US, but are still spiking hard. I agree that mask use is half-assed compared to lots of East Asian countries, but I would say it's almost pointless/borderline harmful to go on about it. You can't feasibly change cultural behaviour overnight, and treating masks as the perfect cure comes with its own set of inherent risks. Masks are flat out not better than not going outside and that shouldn't be lost sight of. It's the kind of rhetoric that inevitably will be twisted for the use of those who want no lockdown but 'full masks' as a paper thin veneer of respectability, because as you know, masks are not used correctly. People just have two week old surgical masks stuffed in their pocket which they just stick on when they walk into a shop etcetc.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HerStuddMuffin posted:

France has extended curfews to about half the country starting last night. It is forbidden to be out between the hours of 9pm to 6am... unless you’re working, going to work, coming back from work or walking your dog. In other words, until covid mutates into a werevirus that only comes out at night during full moons, we’re hosed and aren’t doing poo poo to stop the spread. School being currently out is probably doing more for saving us than the business killing half measures our government puts out.

We had a similar curfew here in Melbourne (except for the dog walking thing, wtf) which started at 8pm for a few months and then rolled back to 9pm when the spread was starting to get controlled and it worked a treat. The aim is to stop people gathering at private parties or anything like that which is a LOT easier for the police to keep an eye on if everyone's supposed to be at their own house every evening.

Of course you also have to combine it with closing bars and dining in at restaurants and all that, it's totally pointless if people can still gather in groups every night right up until the curfew.

E: closing down borders between major population centres (especially if one of them has a major outbreak and the other doesn't) and confining personal travel to just 5km from your house (with exemptions for certain essential things like medical appointments etc) is also really important because it confines outbreaks. If you've got thousands of random people moving between high and low infection areas then there's no way you can contain the spread

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 24, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Let the record show that I started the current discussion by sourcing my statement that “in the summer, Europeans were laughing about Americans and their mask fetish”.

I did not then and do not now think that masks solve everything.

I do think that masks are a powerful tool and that to forsake them is folly.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

your entire world view and conclusions are informed by pessimism and cynicism and projection to the point that almost everything you said is faulty and i'd pointlessly waste my time trying to address it further than this

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We had a similar curfew here in Melbourne (except for the dog walking thing, wtf) which started at 8pm for a few months and then rolled back to 9pm when the spread was starting to get controlled and it worked a treat. The aim is to stop people gathering at private parties or anything like that which is a LOT easier for the police to keep an eye on if everyone's supposed to be at their own house every evening.

Of course you also have to combine it with closing bars and dining in at restaurants and all that, it's totally pointless if people can still gather in groups every night right up until the curfew.

E: closing down borders between major population centres (especially if one of them has a major outbreak and the other doesn't) and confining personal travel to just 5km from your house (with exemptions for certain essential things like medical appointments etc) is also really important because it confines outbreaks. If you've got thousands of random people moving between high and low infection areas then there's no way you can contain the spread

that's all a really good analysis

the primary driver as timeline maps showed was unrestricted travel

sadly in order to effectively do lockdowns of such scale the societies engaging in them must also act as societies and not just plonk down walls but add mutual aid too

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 24, 2020

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Noblesse Obliged posted:

The abandonment of contact tracing should be all the evidence any of us needs that this is spreading in the workplace

That’s the only reason it’s being abandoned. Because it will show we have to lockdown all workplaces and capital will kill us all before it does that.

You're not wrong, but in Switzerland at least, it's more to do with just how shoddily the contact tracing was set up. A lot of it isn't digital and each case is very work intensive. I've also heard cases where the app itself doesn't warn people either (roommates of someone who tested positive and put the code in the app didn't get a notification on theirs, for example).

At the college where I work, our attendance sheets are the contact tracing and these are pieces of paper that the students sign themselves (so not even 100% reliable but let's not get into that) and then we have to hand them in to the office at the end of each day. Then if any student tests positive, the cantonal doctor calls them to find out where they were for the last few days. If they've been in the school, the doctor calls and the secretaries have to look through piles of papers to find which students were in class with them and then pass those names on to the doctor who calls them to tell them whether they need to quarantine or not. It's an absolute joke and a task force member was on the news last night saying there's no way to build a better system anyway while the daily case numbers are so high.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We had a similar curfew here in Melbourne (except for the dog walking thing, wtf)

a thing with dogs is that it is good if they pee pee and doo doo outside rather than on the floor of your apartment

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Me when the curfew hits:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mithaldu posted:

your entire world view and conclusions are informed by pessimism and cynicism and projection to the point that almost everything you said is faulty and i'd pointlessly waste my time trying to address it further than this

that's all a really good analysis

the primary driver as timeline maps showed was unrestricted travel

sadly in order to effectively do lockdowns of such scale the societies engaging in them must also act as societies and not just plonk down walls but add mutual aid too

Yeah, and in Melbourne it really did work. At one stage we were up to a peak of 700ish cases a day in August to now down to a rolling 14 day average of 5

Just really hoping we don't go and gently caress it up now!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1320016181734993920

LOL Donny's back on his bullshit again

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like focusing on mortality rates is deceptive since Long Covid should really be rolled into the long term human toll at this point. It's like everyone who boasts about smoking rates plummeting while completely ignoring the skyrocketing vaping rate.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is the weakest poo poo to be rolling out this close the the election.

Sad!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
He has nothing else, lol

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
We kinda had a fear that the home stretch of the elections the roni had a good chance of blowing up right about now.

It's going to make in-person voting turn out smaller for sure, but by how much and by who.. Maybe 2 mile long lines instead of 5 mile long lines.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Amidst all the doom and gloom, NIOSH list N95s are coming back in stock and hey if winter is going to be bad:

https://bonafidemasks.com/harley-n95-l-188-respirator-face-mask/

(I like these better than the rigid cup ones)

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Are KN95s as good as N95s?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

smoobles posted:

No, but they're the next best thing that's commonly available

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Numbers here in Melbourne Australia continue to improve and the 14-day average is now down to just 5 cases per day, so they'll be reducing restrictions again tomorrow.

There's been a small community outbreak in a Melbourne suburb and the government is rushing to contain it as quickly as possible. I just had this ad on Facebook:

Mrs. Sexual
Feb 3, 2020

Insane Totoro posted:

Amidst all the doom and gloom, NIOSH list N95s are coming back in stock and hey if winter is going to be bad:

https://bonafidemasks.com/harley-n95-l-188-respirator-face-mask/

(I like these better than the rigid cup ones)

$80 for 20, is that a good price? I can’t remember what I paid for my kn95s

smoobles posted:

My understanding is that the difference is their made in chiiina (Trimp) so quality may vary

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
20 for $80 is a good price but these don't help you beat women.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
One of my coworkers told me that Ireland is on their highest level lockdown again.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edit: nm, that link is N95s not KN95s. Probably a good price.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mrs. Sexual posted:

gently caress off Gurf Burt.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Mrs. Sexual posted:

My understanding is that the difference is their made in chiiina (Trimp) so quality may vary

Why are you still here?

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mrs. Sexual posted:

Go away

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

you don't get to wear a mask you worthless piece of poo poo

i hope whatever you do buy ends up being counterfeit and you die on a loving ventilator

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Let's dig into some old irrelevant crap.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

They've started airlifting patients from The Netherlands to Germany for treatment. How is our government dealing with this crisis? Well you can no longer buy alcohol after 8PM at the grocery store and it's highly recommended to wear a mask but it's not like it's enforced. Other than restaurants everything is still open like regular.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Philthy posted:

We kinda had a fear that the home stretch of the elections the roni had a good chance of blowing up right about now.

It's going to make in-person voting turn out smaller for sure, but by how much and by who.. Maybe 2 mile long lines instead of 5 mile long lines.

libs care more about packing people into in-person voting than stopping a mass superspreader event because the republicans' saber rattling about the postal service to scare them worked perfectly, smh

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

Mrs. Sexual posted:

Seriously dude. Just loving leave. You are universally hated here.

gently caress off Burt.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
he's fine, nobody cares

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mozi posted:

Nobody cares

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

https://www.tiktok.com/@comradecringe/video/6886220350879698182?lang=en
https://i.imgur.com/OuV82OO.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
TikTok username checks out