Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yes, it's big.

SUVs are big. All of them.

Next: water is wet.

Can we please loving move on? I don't care for the spate of gigantic vehicles either, but you're not going to make the truck smaller by whining about it. Don't buy it if you don't like it. They will build them as long as soccer moms buy them.

edit: ah, geeze, what a page snipe. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Yes, it's big.

SUVs are big. All of them.

Next: water is wet.

Can we please loving move on? I don't care for the spate of gigantic vehicles either, but you're not going to make the truck smaller by whining about it. Don't buy it if you don't like it. They will build them as long as soccer moms buy them.

edit: ah, geeze, what a page snipe. Sorry.

You’re right. Let’s not talk about EVs, in the EV thread.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Somewhat improbably, Valais is basically redneck Switzerland and there are quite a lot of Dodge Rams and other completely unsuitable cars down there, so given how popular EVs are here I look forward to meeting an electric Hummer occupying 2/3 of the Anniviers road this winter.

This is just outside Sierre

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

Somewhat improbably, Valais is basically redneck Switzerland and there are quite a lot of Dodge Rams and other completely unsuitable cars down there, so given how popular EVs are here I look forward to meeting an electric Hummer occupying 2/3 of the Anniviers road this winter.

I bet that motorcycle has more HP than that car. This place looks crazy.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

You’re right. Let’s not talk about EVs, in the EV thread.

Do you have some sort of disorder where cars bigger than a miata ran over your family?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

MrYenko posted:

That Twitter account is owned by a woman who the internet says is 5’10”. I don’t know if that’s her in the picture, though.

It's pretty obviously not.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MrPablo posted:

I don't know if this helps, but below are the salient bits from the complete report.

yep, I scrolled through most of it quickly and downloaded the complete report for later reading/reference. but yeah I think the tl;dr is maintenance cost is a big improvement (I've worked in after-sales before so that makes perfect sense, despite what OEMs will want), and depending on charging costs, you either come out pretty neutral or majorly ahead on fuel costs.

but yeah this generation (for the next few years) are still going to be a bit expensive to buy, battery costs are still really expensive, but I think in 5 to 10 years the revolution will truly be here.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Saukkis posted:

Because of EU directive you can probably drive them in most of EU and the age limit is lower, usually 15 or 16. So if you are 15 you options are either one of these mopedcars or a normal 50cc moped. At 16 you get the option of 125cc bike which may be more desireable as it's highway capable. At 18 you of course would choose a normal car. In Finland there was legislation in process that would allow 15 year olds to drive normal speed-limited cars, but EU put a stop on that.

The AMI is so low powered it counts as a 50cc quadricicle so it could be driven at 14 in most of the old continent. The biggest selling points of quadricicles is not age tho, it's a different vehicle license from conventional cars(AM), most quadricicles sold here go to people who lost their car license (B) due to DUI strikes or other misdemeanor

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

knox_harrington posted:

I laughed at “baby ribs.”

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Tesla installed my solar panels yesterday. 4 months from ordering to install. My roof hasn't caught fire yet.

Waiting on county and utility inspectors then I can turn it on.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I like big trucks and I cannot lie.

AI amazed that car made for men with small packages is extremely large.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

MrLogan posted:

Tesla installed my solar panels yesterday. 4 months from ordering to install. My roof hasn't caught fire yet.

Waiting on county and utility inspectors then I can turn it on.

This is the ev thread.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nitr0 posted:

This is the ev thread.

He lives in a mobile home.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Nitr0 posted:

This is the ev thread.

I think you'll find it's v4 of the Tesla thread.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Check my probation history, I believe it. However, I don’t want to say anything negative about our overlords for fear of being probed again.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It has also served as the de facto alternative energy thread for car goons.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Someone should do a survey of the fast charging stations percentage of up-time. Based on what I see locally a huge percentage of them are down.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I said I’d never get a Tesla but the sales rep found a perfectly optioned, undamaged 2020 Model S Performance for over $14,000 off (MSRP slightly over $97k) and they offered me a lot more than I expected for my 2010 Mercedes - way more than I’d expect another dealer to offer.

Seeing as I’ll have some undoubtedly expensive maintenance coming up for the MB (suspension for sure, brakes before too much longer, parts for which alone are gonna be like $4,000) I’m thinking about doing it.

I’m kicking the tires so to speak and working on the financing. I’d ideally like to lease, put only enough down to get in the car, and have them write me a big check for the trade in that I could put in the bank and use to offset the higher payment.

Unlike the 3 and Y, you can buy out a Model S lease but they lease terribly from a payment standpoint - Tesla doesn’t subsidize them at all and uses really low residuals. KBB low-end trade in value for a 2019 Model S Performance with 10,000 is still more than the price of the car would be so I don’t think I’d worry about being underwater at any point given they hold their value much better than other cars for reasons unknown to me.

However, I could also apply the whole trade in towards equity and finance is at a pretty low APR. the payment would be lower doing it this way but if something happened to the values I’d be stuck with it - if for example they started depreciating like a similarly priced luxury car from another brand. I’m not really sure how to play it.

Finally, I’ve hear insurance on these is ridiculous and that might kill the deal for me entirely. Still waiting on a quote but if it’s $300 a month or more I don’t think I can justify it.

Any thoughts?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

No idea about the money, that's for you to decide. Although anything close to $300 sounds awful for the insurance, even Norway is cheaper than that. The car itself however is pretty well refined these days. You are getting a battery that will easily outlast the car's lifetime. It won't charge faster than an easy 1.4C, which is fast anyway since the car is so efficient and the battery so big. The new suspension and improved noise reduction makes it a very nice drive. They've gotten very good at the fit and finish on it over the years. The door handles are on their 16th iteration or whatever, they aren't too bad at all, but they will probably need replacing at some point. Not much money, if out of warranty.

Where it will cost you money long term, outside of value and financing, is suspension parts. If you drive it hard, it eats bushings and control arms like Pac-Man. I think it's a bit too expensive, but still the best EV all things considered.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Nitr0 posted:

Check my probation history, I believe it. However, I don’t want to say anything negative about our overlords for fear of being probed again.

Unfortuntly for you I did check your probation history.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Shamino posted:

Do you have some sort of disorder where cars bigger than a miata ran over your family?

I know 4 people who've been hit by cars, including me. Am I allowed to discuss that EV in the EV thread?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Ola posted:

It has also served as the de facto alternative energy thread for car goons.

The first thing a friend said when he heard we'd bought an EV was "But the grid doesn't have the capacity for people to switch to EVs". Dude, for a few thousand I can put up a lean-to shed, throw some solar panels on it, and not worry about my car's relationship to the grid. I can't drill my own oil although I might be able to harpoon a grey whale, drag it to shore, and render it into something burnable in the F250. Unfortunately it would take a lot of firewood, grey whales are still rare in these waters, and the locals would be really hostile.

I think solar panel discussion is highly relevant in an EV thread. Far more so than techniques for hand to hand combat with a twenty ton fish.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Hexigrammus posted:

The first thing a friend said when he heard we'd bought an EV was "But the grid doesn't have the capacity for people to switch to EVs". Dude, for a few thousand I can put up a lean-to shed, throw some solar panels on it, and not worry about my car's relationship to the grid. I can't drill my own oil although I might be able to harpoon a grey whale, drag it to shore, and render it into something burnable in the F250. Unfortunately it would take a lot of firewood, grey whales are still rare in these waters, and the locals would be really hostile.

I think solar panel discussion is highly relevant in an EV thread. Far more so than techniques for hand to hand combat with a twenty ton fish.

Which is why energy talk gets encouraged. It goes hand in hand with EV's after all and is enjoyable to learnabout.

What ISNT encouraged is some of the posting about wall of metal EV's, specifically when it's verging into something more like attacks on posters - that stops now.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hexigrammus posted:

Yeah, "oil is sustainable, because it's not me that will suffer!" is the basic fossil attitude. Not gonna rule out the fish stuff actually, we need sustainable drive shaft lubes.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Hexigrammus posted:

I really don't know why marketers don't play up the energy independence aspect of EVs. I can't make oil, but I can put up panels or even just spin magnets around a coil of wire. For the "buy domestic"/"shop local" type: I don't know where the gas at my local gas stations come from, or who owns the refinery, but I do know where all my power company's producers are, and they're all in my local region.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Something I wonder about that Hummer EV, it would be interesting to see if someone could build one with similar acceleration figures but using a conventional combustion engine. 1000 HP combustion engines aren't common, but it isn't like there are none out there. How different would such a vehicle be, how much would it weigh, would it still fit inside a similar sized frame? Is this something that is only practical as an EV, or could they have made one using a conventional engine that ran on conventional fuel?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Indiana_Krom posted:

Something I wonder about that Hummer EV, it would be interesting to see if someone could build one with similar acceleration figures but using a conventional combustion engine. 1000 HP combustion engines aren't common, but it isn't like there are none out there. How different would such a vehicle be, how much would it weigh, would it still fit inside a similar sized frame? Is this something that is only practical as an EV, or could they have made one using a conventional engine that ran on conventional fuel?
Nowadays you can get it out of a simple blown V8, the Challenger Demon makes like 850 hp already and it'll weigh less than the 2 tons of batteries in the Hummer, although obviously you wouldn't have the frunk any more. I'd imagine the EV would be more practical with all that power though.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Nowadays you can get it out of a simple blown V8, the Challenger Demon makes like 850 hp already and it'll weigh less than the 2 tons of batteries in the Hummer, although obviously you wouldn't have the frunk any more. I'd imagine the EV would be more practical with all that power though.

Good thing Chrysler already answered this question with the new Ram TRX just going on sale now to compete against the Ford Raptor. Stuff the supercharged Hellcat motor in a factory off-road truck and charge $70,000+ (I think it hits $85-90k after options) for it.

Quick google search says it does 12.7 seconds in the quarter mile with 4.1 seconds 0-60 mph. Do not quite as fast as the Hummer in factory stock form, but could probably get there if needed.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

In actual EV content, the Ford Mustang Mach E has caught my attention. A not tiny electric vehicle at a reasonablish price made by someone other than Tesla. My giant 6’6” frame has figured that it would be awhile before I could get a family practical electric vehicle, but this could be it. Luckily I shouldn’t need a new vehicle for a couple of years so I can wait for a model year or two for Ford to get the inevitable bugs worked out.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Biggest issue with a 3 sec 0-60 gasoline Hummer is probably that the rebuild time would be close to the EVs battery range.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Indiana_Krom posted:

The acceleration (0-60 number anyway) won't even be close. ICE doesn't have 0 RPM torque like electric does, nor does it have the traction control ability, nor does it have the flat torque curve. Those and more combine to make ICE quick pretty uncompetitive for that kind of acceleration.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

ICE engines solved the zero RPM issue with launch control but that definitely fucks up the drivetrain.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Indiana_Krom posted:

Car and Driver tested the 702hp Ram TRX 0-60 at 3.7 seconds.

also averaged 9mpg over a 570 mile trip.

The BMW M5 does 0-60 in 3.0 seconds with 617hp and 4262lbs, so it's theoretically possible, but i can't see any company making the effort.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I asked over in A/T as well, but figured I'd ask here. I recently bought a Grizzl-E EVSE. I just realized where I was going to mount it, there is no stud. It weighs a hair over 6 pounds, and will be mounted onto 1/2in plywood with 2 included #14 screws. Is that sufficient? Is it super risky not mounting to a stud?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I asked over in A/T as well, but figured I'd ask here. I recently bought a Grizzl-E EVSE. I just realized where I was going to mount it, there is no stud. It weighs a hair over 6 pounds, and will be mounted onto 1/2in plywood with 2 included #14 screws. Is that sufficient? Is it super risky not mounting to a stud?

What's the plywood attached to? It will stay attached to the plywood just fine. If the plywood is bridging between two studs and is properly bolted down, you're good.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Deteriorata posted:

What's the plywood attached to? It will stay attached to the plywood just fine. If the plywood is bridging between two studs and is properly bolted down, you're good.

Just the plywood between the doors, studs on either side where the door is mounted to

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Just the plywood between the doors, studs on either side where the door is mounted to

Yeah, that's plenty strong to hold up 6 pounds. It could probably hold a couple hundred if it needed to.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, that's plenty strong to hold up 6 pounds. It could probably hold a couple hundred if it needed to.

Awesome, thanks! I figured it'd be enough but I wanted some reassurance

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Orvin posted:

In actual EV content, the Ford Mustang Mach E has caught my attention. A not tiny electric vehicle at a reasonablish price made by someone other than Tesla. My giant 6’6” frame has figured that it would be awhile before I could get a family practical electric vehicle, but this could be it. Luckily I shouldn’t need a new vehicle for a couple of years so I can wait for a model year or two for Ford to get the inevitable bugs worked out.

Yeah it's what I've had my eye on as well and it still seems weird how little discussion it's generating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Yeah it's what I've had my eye on as well and it still seems weird how little discussion it's generating
It doesn't do anything the Y doesn't do, while charging slower, being slower, having shorter range, and not having supercharger access. Almost literally the only benefit is not having a tesla badge. I guess it supports car play and android auto, which the Y doesn't... It was a lot more interesting when the Y was going to be late and they'd be out about the same time. Alas, Tesla went and hosed that up.

I'm a Ford fanboy, and I still looked at it and went "meh".

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 25, 2020