Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

The pulp avs were neat for about a month, now I’m pretty much sick of them all. they really are not created equal
Really like mine actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Really like mine actually

that ones not too bad, I’m glad we can change other people’s again without them just whingeing about not wanting to give money to lowtax to get their old one back for free :qq:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Chucking out all of the sex stuff is good when it is dumb period sex jokes or unnecessary CIA hatefucking, but bad when it is religious pedofiles or systemic misogynistic sexual abuse. If you're gonna do an unsubtle show it comes of as a bit cowardly and quintessentially American to only embrace the violence, although I hear they've been allowed to do more of it by Amazon starting with season 2.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

thotsky posted:

Chucking out all of the sex stuff is good when it is dumb period sex jokes or unnecessary CIA hatefucking, but bad when it is religious pedofiles or systemic misogynistic sexual abuse. If you're gonna do an unsubtle show it comes of as a bit cowardly and quintessentially American to only embrace the violence, although I hear they've been allowed to do more of it by Amazon starting with season 2.

Chapo Cat House

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Larry Parrish posted:

im not sure I've ever seen a single big TV show I could say was overall good. theres just ones that had more enjoyable moments than they did network tv bullshit happening. like theres not one I'd want to rewatch over and over like i have hot fuzz or ghost in the shell. i guess I've rewatched literally all of aqua teen like 3 times so maybe that's the best TV show in my opinion.

leftovers is good as hell

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
I binged the Boys comic and I can't really say it's "good", the show seems an improvement in almost every department.

Irredeemable was a much more interesting "what if superman but bad" story.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

T-man posted:

It's OK gramps, we'll get off your lawn soon. Just think about matlock. Matlocky thoughts.

a funeral set to Bananarama

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Yeah it can't possibly be both these things. I also hate historical accuracy, characters from a century ago talking about safe spaces and getting turnt is what I want tbh

a gritty, down to Earth show swarming with magic robots? eughhh, that's Gundam, right?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cruel Angel’s MA Project

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Danger posted:

leftovers is good as hell

seconding this hard, seasons 2 and 3 are incredible, don't let lindelof turn you off from this immediately

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

seconding this hard, seasons 2 and 3 are incredible, don't let lindelof turn you off from this immediately

I'm still genuinely amazed that he managed not to gently caress up "Watchmen."

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Majorian posted:

:geno:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Majorian posted:

lol that show sucks major ballsack

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

leftovers was awesome, i gave up on watchmen after an ep. they need to give lindelof free reign to do crazy poo poo and not tie him to some story he clearly doesnt give a poo poo about.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Leftovers is great because it's about people learning to make sense of a world where nothing matters.

Watchmen is terrible because it is Lindeloff admittedly trying to "troll both extremes." It's the most lib show of all, where the message is that black people need to take off their masks of revenge, and where the "correct" take of having unlimited world altering power is to never use it.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Majorian posted:

actually that show sucked hard, sorry man

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Watchmen owned, hate to correct everyone on that.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Her Dryer posted:

I binged the Boys comic and I can't really say it's "good", the show seems an improvement in almost every department.

i read maybe the first trade, and have been very surprised to hear anything good about the show. kudos to those involved i guess.

conversely i was shocked at how bad Watchmen sounded.

i just remembered i really wanted to read Ellis' avatar press "Superhuman Trilogy": No Hero, Black Summer, and Supergod.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

joepinetree posted:

Leftovers is great because it's about people learning to make sense of a world where nothing matters.

Watchmen is terrible because it is Lindeloff admittedly trying to "troll both extremes." It's the most lib show of all, where the message is that black people need to take off their masks of revenge, and where the "correct" take of having unlimited world altering power is to never use it.

The part where a small attempt to stop police from using guns as a first resort is seen as putting our courageous boys in blue at risk to warn of the dangers of moving too far left :laffo:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

joepinetree posted:

'World altering power is fundamentally bad and makes the world a worse place for being' was pretty much the point of the original Watchmen comic, the tv show's rebutal was that actually it's good if you give it to WoC. So yeah still the most lib poo poo imaginable.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
You idiots disparaging the watchmen show should check out the thread for it. Did you know, for example, that it won a bunch of emmys? Checkmate :smug:

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

yea HBO’s watchmen makes me completely sympathetic to Alan Moore’s point of view

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gorn Myson posted:

Watchmen owned, hate to correct everyone on that.

lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
thinking about the twist that dr manhattan turned himself into a black man and then put a coin in his brain so he would forget he had superpowers

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

thinking about the twist that dr manhattan turned himself into a black man and then put a coin in his brain so he would forget he had superpowers

it was better when the Master put all of his lives into a pocket watch at the drat near end of time itself

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Pirate Jet posted:

watchmen HBO ends with the same ending I’ve seen in a lot of lib media lately where the way to fix the world is to leave the levers of power in the hands of people of color. knives out and seemingly now lovecraft country have the same ending. the obama administration already happened and nothing got better, but this isn’t Lindelof and the like forgetting that it did, it’s just that Obama’s main distinguishing characteristic from Trump is that he was better at preventing the problems of the nation from reaching the doorsteps of the ruling class. it’s a bad show folks

but The Boys is an Amazon original show that recently ended with the obvious AOC analogue being a maniacal serial killer so I guess there’s just no escape

I mean my take was that she was using her powers to cripple vought's supporters and engineer a situation where she would be in power and able to theoretically wrangle their poo poo and get them under control not that she was just like popping heads for fun but illiteracy is cool too

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Her Dryer posted:

Irredeemable was a much more interesting "what if superman but bad" story.

The boys as a comic is incredibly of its moment ie 2004 and i can't imagine it playing as well in 2020 if you didn't already read it

There's some bits that are still interesting, like the idea that the boys don't actually win in the end, just force some neutered stalemate, because you can't beat capital, but then also "disney branches into drone strikes" is a way more interesting version of vought

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Hawkins posted:

i read maybe the first trade, and have been very surprised to hear anything good about the show. kudos to those involved i guess.

conversely i was shocked at how bad Watchmen sounded.

i just remembered i really wanted to read Ellis' avatar press "Superhuman Trilogy": No Hero, Black Summer, and Supergod.

You don't want to read those.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

*putting my hands on my hips and taking a mocking stance* well if you like TV so much, Mr. Christman, why don't you write your own show?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Dumper Humper posted:

You don't want to read those.

aw nuts

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

The pulp avs were neat for about a month, now I’m pretty much sick of them all. they really are not created equal

Talk poo poo get bzzzt motherfucker

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Victory Position posted:

*putting my hands on my hips and taking a mocking stance* well if you like TV so much, Mr. Christman, why don't you write your own show?

lol that Felix is the one apparently shopping around pilots

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

amber is gonna be the new fifth chair on The View

edit i just got myself shook because that's a too on-the-nose sellout role for her

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I started listening to the 5-4 podcast a couple days ago and it's good. Jumped in with their episodes about RBG and our upcoming election hell, gonna go back and listen to their episodes about actual Supreme Court cases later.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the problem with hbo watchmen isnt to do with its nonsensical lib politics. its that they decided to make the entire plot about dr manhattan in the last three episode because its pandering nerd bullshit

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

scary ghost dog posted:

that sounds pretty cool actually

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Dumper Humper posted:

I mean my take was that she was using her powers to cripple vought's supporters and engineer a situation where she would be in power and able to theoretically wrangle their poo poo and get them under control not that she was just like popping heads for fun but illiteracy is cool too

yeah and she killed several innocents on the way, and sabotaging a hearing about bringing vought to justice doesn’t accomplish what you said at all, which I suppose makes you illiterate for not noticing that

there are a lot of things to criticize AOC for. she’s easily deferential to the DNC, her foreign policy sucks especially what she did with Venezuela, she’s way more ferocious on Twitter than she ever is in the House, and she hates everything Joe Biden says while still telling everyone to vote for him. none of these add up to “will personally murder innocents around her who she’s known for years for power.”

Goast posted:

imagine being mad at this

I can imagine being mad at Amazon pretty easily

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

shes obviously vought controlled opposition

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

C-Euro posted:

I started listening to the 5-4 podcast a couple days ago and it's good. Jumped in with their episodes about RBG and our upcoming election hell, gonna go back and listen to their episodes about actual Supreme Court cases later.

im sure its a bit too lib for cspam tastes but i enjoy it a lot. lawboy is a funny person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truancy-Bot
May 9, 2012

eat a dick, truancy-bot
Lol Superstore writer is mad about TrueAnon. Wonder what precipitated this https://twitter.com/onlxn/status/1320162433302892545?s=19