Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I'm waiting for a walkthrough myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

if i hold off on expanding to the new regions as long as i possibly can does that mean the AI is getting there first and snagging islands? or do they just pop in to existence there when i do?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

boar guy posted:

if i hold off on expanding to the new regions as long as i possibly can does that mean the AI is getting there first and snagging islands? or do they just pop in to existence there when i do?

I can remember Expanding AIs already being in the Arctic by the time I completed the expedition; it was the main reason I tried a no-Expanding restart which I’m still on and have reached Enbesa in.

Basically the point about opportunity costs from the Enbesa expedition decisions maps onto how I feel about the AIs; every island is there for the taking, now, provided I need it. I don’t have to miss out on so much as a single Zinc mine or Clay pit in any session, even though I’m unlikely to play long enough to need every scrap of land claimed.

Also I was anticipating the writing and themes for Enbesa to be cringier than they are; instead of colonizing at the barrel of a gun, an existing empire is inviting us to handle INTERNAL colonization as a contractor. It’s slightly more sophisticated and satisfying than ‘yeah folks who just fought a war of independence against another nation-state welcome the East India Company with open arms as military and industrial overlords,’ while being just as probably-evil ~

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

boar guy posted:

I know that at least in Crown Falls and Enbessa the AI won't expand until you get there. There is a very major and obvious story beat in Enbessa where the AIs are allowed to move in afterwards: Archie arrives with a trade fleet to demand Enbessa becomes a protectorate.

I was confident it was the same way with the Arctic but LonsomeSon apparently has had other experiences. The AIs won't touch the starting island you're on there until afterwards, it will always be free for you to start on but they might try to take it via conquest later.

The AIs can and will beat you to the New World.

LonsomeSon posted:

Also I was anticipating the writing and themes for Enbesa to be cringier than they are; instead of colonizing at the barrel of a gun, an existing empire is inviting us to handle INTERNAL colonization as a contractor. It’s slightly more sophisticated and satisfying than ‘yeah folks who just fought a war of independence against another nation-state welcome the East India Company with open arms as military and industrial overlords,’ while being just as probably-evil ~

Oh absolutely, it's very well done and very respectful. Though remember: be diplomatic.
I basically ran and told the Emperor "Hey, those scholars you don't trust: they loving forged an archeological discovery to make themselves look better." because I found the idea rather offensive myself. Told the Emperor "Yeah they didn't give me a good reason why they did it" and he snaps and basically cut off all trade with them, shutting down the story-line as far as I know.

Once you complete an island you'll get a region-wide bonus though!
I finished the desert island without destroying the ruins and got a region wide +15 canal tile bonus to all of my water wheels.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 24, 2020

Qubee
May 31, 2013

vandalism posted:

I love the writing, but I don't know how much I love this type of story telling in anno. Having to make decisions that might result in permanently losing stuff is like... eh. I'm just gonna save scum it cause the bonuses are never worth losing in a game like this.

Canals are way better than the heat system in the arctic, but still a pain to manage.

What kinda things can you miss out on due to bad choices? I spent about two hours prepping for an expedition cause I was worried of bad choices but kept reassuring myself it can't be that big a deal.

Also, is Anno coop legitimately cooperative? As in you're all playing the same faction and can build on the same island. Or is everyone a seperate faction.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Qubee posted:

Also, is Anno coop legitimately cooperative? As in you're all playing the same faction and can build on the same island. Or is everyone a seperate faction.

You share the game and all controls. You are the same in-game person. You can place a road and your three buddies could delete it. There is no separation of any kind. You simply all play the same faction.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I do kinda hope that whenever the next Anno rolls around, they take modding support a step further.

In 1404 + 2070 modding was done by just overwriting the game files, I believe.
In 2205 they had a simple config option to flip, and the game would prefer 'local' files instead of the ones in it's archives. (Basically allowing for a soft-overwrite of game files with modded ones.)
With 1800 they took it a step further and allowed for custom python scripting, which is what led to the nice modular, mod support we have now through a mod loader. (And presumably, what allowed the Asia developers to go a far as they have.)

It would be very nice if for the next one they rolled out some simple mod tools, or even just a full on 'yeah here's a modified version of our dev tools.'.
Because I would really love the ability to create new islands from whole cloth. Or make it a lot easier for people to juggle around assets into new ornamentals, new buildings, etc.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So I finally realised Artisans don't need a marketplace, but it seems like a pretty useless feature, seeing as farmers and workers need a marketplace and you can't upgrade them until all their needs are met.

So am I just meant to level up to artisans and then manually move each building to a better location? Is there a way to select a whole bunch of houses and move them all at once? Am I missing something obvious.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Weird - I have a quest to sell 2 frigates to an NPC, I was able to sell the first, but the sell button on the second remains greyed out. I've moved the ship in and out of range a few times but nothing seems to want me to let me sell it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Qubee posted:

So I finally realised Artisans don't need a marketplace, but it seems like a pretty useless feature, seeing as farmers and workers need a marketplace and you can't upgrade them until all their needs are met.

So am I just meant to level up to artisans and then manually move each building to a better location? Is there a way to select a whole bunch of houses and move them all at once? Am I missing something obvious.

Or you can upgrade from one side of your island to the other, moving the service buildings instead as you go. Or just leave the buildings there. It's up to you how you do it.

But yeah, that's how it goes. Once you get to Artisans, your Old World citizens don't need anything 2 or more tiers below them. Engineers don't need schools or churches. Investors don't need universities or variety theaters.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Qubee posted:

At the start, the marketplace is at the center of your town, by the end it is placed at the edge of it and the center is stuff like the bank or power station.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I love that my brain automatically went to the tedious method instead of immediately realizing I can just relocate the single marketplace.

I finally managed to get to the New World after a bit of a shambolic expedition. This Jean guy is a pain in the rear end, he blew up my frigate and almost took out my clipper. He's way more aggressive than Pirate Lady in the Old World. So I'm sending a huge fleet over to guard trade, as I'll have to start shipping a bunch of stuff in and out of the region.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Qubee posted:

You can demolish the old service buildings to leave gaps for new ones; there’s a point at the end of Engineers where you will wind up needing to do a bunch of shuffling and demolition to fit a thing into your city, so I advise tearing them down and not filling in all the gaps immediately

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 24, 2020

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I basically start off each island with the various tiers of residents radiating out in a specific direction from the original market, so that most of the population can just organically be in range of the appropriate buildings. Then when space is short I can either repeat with another market on the fringe, or pre-plan a region that'll be nothing but one specific pop type.

Example:

Also, Archie's search for locations based on drawings quest is a royal pain in the rear end. Spent 20 minutes looking for a bay with the right layout of rocks around it and am on the verge of just saying gently caress it and looking for a guide.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I build almost exclusively in modular 10x10 grid blocks. Obviously it's not perfectly efficient, space-wise, but I find it hugely helps since you can essentially just build whatever service building you need and fill the rest with housing without needing to reshuffle or align streets when you realise the hospital is a different size to the fire station or whatever. I fill the single gaps with decorations like trees, plazas etc, and then once you get to engineers you've already got the free space to place your railway lines.

Something like this:
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/anno1800/images/8/8a/City1.png

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Man, Enbessa is fun. I actively love and enjoy the irrigation system.
You hosed up one of the quests and will get no reward!

No, shut up inner negativity! Besides that was hours ago, I'd have to throw away hours of gameplay.

And besides I doubt the game even keeps autosaves that long...

And I'd throw away all the work I've done..
...And besides you don't like how had a massive hours-long brain-fart and forgot to set up train paths for your main city!

:negative:

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

Alkydere posted:

Man, Enbessa is fun. I actively love and enjoy the irrigation system.

No, shut up inner negativity! Besides that was hours ago, I'd have to throw away hours of gameplay.

And besides I doubt the game even keeps autosaves that long...

And I'd throw away all the work I've done..
...And besides you don't like how had a massive hours-long brain-fart and forgot to set up train paths for your main city!

:negative:

Yeah, I kind of jumped right in from running a fairly built out Crown Falls and wish I'd just restarted. I'll know better next time. Soooo much quest content and I was constantly having to spin another plate.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Yall have any idea where to find this location:

I've manually looked through every single bay and cove in Enbesa, and a lot more besides. Nothin.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Eschatos posted:

Yall have any idea where to find this location:

I've manually looked through every single bay and cove in Enbesa, and a lot more besides. Nothin.

It's on one of the islands, I know that sounds dumb but it's on an actual settle-able island not on a little map greeble. I'm not sure if the Enbessa islands are fixed, but you'll see one with a big section of sandy, blighted lowlands behind the mountains by the coast.
You're looking for an elephant graveyard

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Since the game's on discount, I'm going all-in with both season passes as well.

It'll be the first time I've played a non-sci-fi Anno game, and ages since I last played 2205, here's hoping I can wrap my brain around it quickly enough. Might start with the sandbox approach as mentioned upthread.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Cheap Trick posted:

It'll be the first time I've played a non-sci-fi Anno game, and ages since I last played 2205, here's hoping I can wrap my brain around it quickly enough. Might start with the sandbox approach as mentioned upthread.

if you decide to play the campaign, it just rolls in to a sandbox when it's over

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Cheap Trick posted:

Campaign is just a glorified tutorial that opens up into Sandbox with a pre-set set of island when you're done.

...and don't be afraid to restart now and then. Yes you end up with only a maximum of 5 sessions compared to 2205's...12? 13? But those sessions can get busy.

...and CTRL+Q to bring up your production/consumption tabs is a lifesaver.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Oh nice, I do like a quasi-tutorial to ease me into the game's mechanics.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Alkydere posted:

It's on one of the islands, I know that sounds dumb but it's on an actual settle-able island not on a little map greeble. I'm not sure if the Enbessa islands are fixed, but you'll see one with a big section of sandy, blighted lowlands behind the mountains by the coast.
You're looking for an elephant graveyard

Yeah found it after having ships crawl around the coastline of every single island. Terrain shape was very misleading.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I thought Old World plate spinning was bad but I've gotten to the 2nd tier of population in the New World and now I'm quickly starting to realise I have to ramp production up a bunch and ship beer and sewing machines out and cotton and rum in and eventually oil and it's getting crazy. The islands in the New World are annoying to build on!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Qubee posted:

I thought Old World plate spinning was bad but I've gotten to the 2nd tier of population in the New World and now I'm quickly starting to realise I have to ramp production up a bunch and ship beer and sewing machines out and cotton and rum in and eventually oil and it's getting crazy. The islands in the New World are annoying to build on!

Nah, don't bother with Beer in the new world. Plenty of other ways to keep them happy. You just need enough Obrebros to get your work done. Sewing machines are a maybe (a massive loving maybe) and that's only if you can't get your hands on trade union items that lower the workforce needed for Obrero buildings. Which, considering you can now add tractors to New World farms to get 3x the production from 1/2 of the Jounaleros, which gives you more houses to upgrade to run the coffee mills, is almost never.

Don't focus on making your tier 2 colonial citizens actually have all of their resources UNLESS you're fit as a fiddle elsewhere and going for a personal challenge. The money's nice but is absolutely laughable compare to what Engineers and Investors will poo poo out in the Old World maps when you get them.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Oct 25, 2020

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Cheers for the advice, the game sort of teaches you to keep citizens happy in the Old World, but it really did feel weird seeing Beer on the happiness list for New World citizens despite the fact you get less coin per beer than you do in the continent it's manufactured in?? I didn't mind shipping sewing machines in as I was sitting on a huge stockpile, so it felt like a useful way of turning it into cash whilst also making the outward leg of the voyage useful, instead of sending them out empty. On the subject of happiness, is the only reason it exists in the game to spawn festivals and also get 50%+ bonus production without inciting riots? Right now, I'm just sitting on a tonne of happy citizens but I usually just leave them be and let festivals kick off. Should I be exploiting this happiness to get bonus production and just leave them at content?

I want to get tractors but I've never gotten this far, do I just need to unlock oil in the New World for it to happen? Tractors would be a lifesaver. Game has sunk it's hooks into me and it's a nice feeling. Glad I held off on properly playing it until now, having all the DLC means I'm in for a lot of content.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah I never bother giving Obreros beer or sewing machines, I usually don’t bother giving them felt hats either. Space is definitely at a premium in the new world, particularly once you start requiring colossal levels of chocolate, coffee and tobacco. But the Arctic is probably even worse, space-wise!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

The happiness affects the chance of festivals (which can be awesome depending on which ones you get) or riots which are obvious. That's basically it. That and the happiness resources often provide a giant pile of cash. And yeah, shipping beer to Brazil really ain't worth it considering how much workers and especially artisans will pay for that poo poo. I feel about the same way with sewing machines though: the suckers are so easy to set up early since they're just steel (which you're already producing for steel beams and weaponry) and wood. 9 times out of 10 I have sewing machines up and running before I have canned food because you'll generally have them unlocked by the time you get enough artisan workforce to make windows anyways and it's so easy. Later on though you'll learn to savor every steel ingot, not to mention iron and coal mine, because So Much Goddamn poo poo requires steel ingots in later stuff.

Tractors are something the Bright Harvest DLC provides. They unlock at 500 Engineers. You need a fuel station to turn the raw oil into fuel, and then you'll add a little tractor shed module onto the farm, a little 2x3 like the grain silo. The farm will take up a bit more space (+50% modules) but the efficiency (+300%) and workforce reduction (-50%) make it so loving worth it and you're actually getting double the crop from each farm tile once you do the math. And yes they let you reach 0 workforce with some other items so you've got steampunk drones working your farms. Also the crude oil->fuel oil ratio is so absurd: it's something like 1->10. With the efficiency and their crazy delivery range you'll likely need only one, maybe 2 fuel oil barns to supply an entire island's farms with fuel. Which is a lot of resources considering how productive mechanized farms are.

Oh and you'll want to set up production of steam engines since those will be required to build tractor farm. I think it's 10 steam engines and 20 steel beams for 1 tractor silo.

Edit: Oh obviously you need the New World to get to Engineers and beyond (at the minimum you need cotton unless you get a certain specialist that makes fine coats out of wool instead) but on the Arctic and Land of Lions feel free to wait a bit before you unlock them. The Arctic is a massive money sink and Enbessa is best done when you're fairly stable and not spinning too many plates otherwise. Unlock Crown Falls whenever because it's a second New World zone for population and cash.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 25, 2020

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Sewing machines are actually an easy one because sewing factories produce at a pretty high rate while consumed reasonably slowly, and IIRC aren’t needed by investors. Beer is not happening though, sell that poo poo to the pirate lady instead

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 25, 2020

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

Gordon the Master Grocer + Town Hall

Obreros in range of the town hall get free beer. Gordon is amazing, I have like 6 Gordons in the New World.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Any tips for grabbing specific people? Or is it just a waiting game. I've got boats parked at every NPC location just in case a good item pops.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

Qubee posted:

Any tips for grabbing specific people? Or is it just a waiting game. I've got boats parked at every NPC location just in case a good item pops.

That's what I do, just hang out at the prison. Gordon fuckin gets arrested like every 20 minutes it seems, he's goddamned degenerate

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

Arctic Tips:

1) I’ve locked the NPCs out of the Arctic by doing the following: (i) PROMPTLY do the starter discovery expedition when it pops up, (ii) sail to King Edward island and get your $ reward & take ownership of the pier, (iii) DO NOT investigate the ruins of Sir John’s camp, (iv) return when you have enough influence and settle all the islands, (v) clear the main camp on King Edward and settle the Arctic in general, (vi) build your airship base and produce first airship asap, then (vii) PROMPTLY settle all 4 ice floes. The AI NPCs will not show up if you do these things in that order. Three pre-LoL games tested.

2) One 100% performing charcoal burner supplies one radiator. No more, no less.

3) Build islands back to front. The usual island settling method of just clumping poo poo around your port is non-optimal. Put your residences way in the back of an island to use the limited space best, and to get maximum coverage from your heaters. You will find that there’s a lot more room on these islands than you thought if you pack it in tight from the start, back to front.

4) You should specialize islands, you really don’t have much choice if you don’t want to go crazy. So one island does sleeping bags and geese, one does pemmican, etc etc. Pay attention to available coastline, this is an important concern in the Arctic. For example I think the most seal hunting stations any seal island can support is 3. Islands that have bear hunting fertility should not be used for anything else, bear fur is probably the rarest resource in the game. But don't forget you can buy some from the Inuit trader.

5) If anyone has ever gotten a decent quest reward from a resident quest, let me know. All my rewards have been complete garbage. So don't go shipping champagne from Crown Falls to make some rear end in a top hat happy, waste of time.

6) Arctic lodges are very powerful if concentrated around industry, fairly useless with residences and on the ice floes. I usually lodge up in this order: pemmican, goose feathers, sleeping bags/parkas, whale oil, bear hunting, sled making, caribou hunting, oil lamps, then maybe seals if I feel like pissing away 20 influence on 3 seal stations.

7) When building up ice floes, you need to reach sufficient explorer pop to open up the technicians. After that, you can upgrade as many of the residences as you need to run the gas mines, and delete the rest. A completed ice flow has only technicians, and only so many as are needed to run the mines.

8) A wood-fired Arctic Is not a myth, I’ve seen it. Despite having settled every possible place in my current arctic, I currently send NO coal shipments into the Arctic thanks to the zippy batteries that can be built at Old Nate's. All offmap radiator fuel comes from a single juiced-up lumberjack complex I built in the New World. Ok, caveat: the ice floes are almost impossible to heat with wood, it would take like 80 influence per ice floe to make that work. But I make all the ice floe coal in the Arctic itself, on one Arctic island that makes nothing else.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

I've never seen an NPC settle the arctic before I got most of the way through the quest there.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Eschatos posted:

I've never seen an NPC settle the arctic before I got most of the way through the quest there.

It happened to me quite some time ago, when I had an office arrangement such that I could do dabs while playing video games, so expeditions would frequently be waiting for unknowable amounts of time before I noticed they needed interaction.

I took that to mean that the AIs have some version of the expedition which they have to go through, even if it’s just a timer before they can send their first ships, and I had just spent hours stoned and laying out Old/New World stuff while my captain needed buttons clicked.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So...at what point do you unlock the Research Institute Foundations? I got the quest to look through sketches for the thing, Biniam chose the one he liked and then...nothing. Do I have to do diplomacy with Blake first?

Gah...the quests in Land of Lions are so buggy.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Alkydere posted:

So...at what point do you unlock the Research Institute Foundations? I got the quest to look through sketches for the thing, Biniam chose the one he liked and then...nothing. Do I have to do diplomacy with Blake first?

Gah...the quests in Land of Lions are so buggy.

I think you have to get all the way through the LoL questline.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Eschatos posted:

I think you have to get all the way through the LoL questline.

Nah this is my second time I've fiddled with LoL as I restarted it, and I did some research. The devblog where they talked about scholars and the research institute said the foundations unlocked at 300 Elders, which I've had for a while. And scholars unlock at 1500 Elders. So basically: the bright young lads and ladies get out as their homes become more and more of a stodgy retirement community. :v: Previously I unlocked it (and you need at least one engineer to build it) but my Old World setup was such a mess because I rushed that I had no real way to clean things up.

I'm sure as hell not fully restarting again, my capital's actually looking nice, but I suspect I'm losing several hours.

Also after doing the desert and scholar isles a couple times, it looks like the rewards are fixed for the Enbessa story islands, but you do get different story results. Or you get nothing if you either screw up.

The choice on the desert isle is The Emperor wants to tear up a lot of the old temples for farmland to make cash crops and fine pottery, the locals want to restore their own temple and make food crops. Emperor route is easier and he does set aside a chunk of land on his palace area to make food for the desert people, local is harder but you feel better. If you side with the locals they need you to regularly deliver salted meat and hibiscus tea or they starve while they set things up.

Desert island reward is +15 canal tiles on all water pumps

Scholar island story is Go along or simply look the other way and fail to notice the scholars' historical forgery. If you don't cover for them or at least try to mollify the Emperor he tells them to gently caress off and you don't get their bonus.

Scholar island reward is extra research points from Elders and he kicks out the Not-Catholic missionaries from La Corona/Not-Spain to put up a local monastery)

Haven't touched the pirate isle.

Edit: Tried going back, upgrading to/past 300 Elders, no dice. But reloading the game to my current point made "Biniam's Vision" appear? I'm confused, but relieved.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Cape Trelawney is something else, I've got space for days. Is it a bad idea if I turn the Old World and other islands in Cape Trelawney into feeder islands just to supply my main island's residents? Or should I have some high tier pop spread around the world. It's really nice having tonnes of space to build a bustling city without worrying about cramped spaces.

I got my people in the New World up to their max level (level 2), I thought they'd go higher. Is there much else for me to do in the New World or did I reach the limit?