Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The Klowner posted:

superman is good because ww2 america needed him to be good

That would be Captain America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

jabby posted:

If I remember correctly, that was part of what put him under such stress but it wasn't what caused him to snap.

He snapped months later when his sidekick found out he was responsible for the deaths of thousands of children by accidentally unleashing an alien virus. When he realised the one person who really, genuinely idealized him would never look at him the same way again he went nuts, lobotomized him and trashed the entire city.

Oh and just to add to the tragedy:

He only gave the alien virus to the researcher who unleashed it because the guy wouldn't stop hounding him online and in the media, calling him selfish for hoarding all this alien tech. And he tried to take every precaution including giving the guy an SOS signal only he could hear, if he hadn't happened to be spending ten minutes on the moon at the exact time the virus got out. The first ten minutes he'd ever spent away from the constant cries of people in need of help he couldn't shut out.

I mean OK, it's not terribly realistic in the coincidences. But it does a better of trying to explain why he snapped than most "Superman turns evil" stories.

Yeah, I think Irredeemable is at best okay but the reveals of why he snapped were incredibly well done.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Incelshok Na posted:

Guess who just got back today?
Them wild-eyed boys that'd been away
Haven't changed, hadn't much to say
But man, I still think them cats are crazy
They were askin' if you were around
How you was, where you could be found
Told them you were livin' downtown
Drivin' all the old men crazy

The boys are back in town
I said, the boys are back in town

You know that chick that used to dance a lot?
Every night, she'd be on the floor, shakin' what she's got
Man, when I tell ya she was cool, she was red hot
I mean she was steamin'
And that time over at Johnny's place
Well, this chick got up and she slapped Johnny's face
Man, we just fell about the place
If that chick don't wanna know, forget her

I said, the boys are back in town

Spread the word around...
Guess who's back in town!
You spread the word around!

Friday night they'll be dressed to kill
Down at Dino's bar and grill
The drink will flow, and blood will spill
And if the boys wanna fight, you better let 'em
That jukebox in the corner blasting out my favourite song
The nights are gettin' warmer, it won't be long
Won't be long 'til summer comes
Now that the boys are here again

(Spread the word around)
(The boys are back, the boys are back)

The boys are back in town again
They're hangin' down at Dino's
The boys are back in town again!

sir this is a wendy's

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

esperterra posted:

sir this is a planet vought

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

esperterra posted:

sir this is a tony cicero’s

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Sir, would you like a Fresca?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sir, would you like a Queen Maeve World of Tanks skin? It's just dropped as a Twitch Prime reward.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jedit posted:

Sir, would you like a Queen Maeve World of Tanks skin? It's just dropped as a Twitch Prime reward.

Is it rainbow/pride themed?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

Is it rainbow/pride themed?

It's bravery themed.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jedit posted:

Yes, yes I would. Now I've got Maeve and Starlight.

Next step, actually playing WoT again, which may be a bridge too far.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So maybe I missed something watching season 2, but is the deal with Fresca explained?

It seems tied to Church of the Collective people, is there some sort of addictive drug in it or some Compound V alternative? Or just a weird inside joke?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Just a joke, selected because soft drinks and cults have historically intersected (Jonestown, obviously, but also the Mormon church with Coca-Cola)

They probably should have gone with Fanta since it and the CotC both had nazi Germany roots

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fanta isn't much of a thing here - Fresca is one of the go-to lovely sodas here. If TAB was still a thing it would've served a similar purpose.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Wheeee posted:

It shows through in his interactions with Ryan, especially the restaurant scene, that Homelander isn't a born psychopath, he is actually capable of empathy and genuinely wants to be a good dad even if he's poo poo at it.

I thought this was really great writing. Every parent capable of self reflection has moments like this, and it was very humanizing. Which is either the most appropriate or inappropriate word to use.

It isn't a kind of parental moment you see reflected often in media either, and when it is its usually an elderly parent apologizing to their adult child.

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 24, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Azhais posted:

Yes, yes I would. Now I've got Maeve and Starlight.

Next step, actually playing WoT again, which may be a bridge too far.

That's what the XXX Armoured Corps said.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Fresca is citrus flavored. Oranges are a kind of citrus. The people who drink Fresca end up in a cult instead of dead. And sometimes dead too. It's a meta-joke about pretentious use of citrus in film since Godfather.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Pretty sure fresca is specifically grapefruit. It tastes exactly like grapefruit white claws

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

pile of brown posted:

Pretty sure fresca is specifically grapefruit. It tastes exactly like grapefruit white claws

It is.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Fresca is p much the only aspartame based drink I really enjoy. idk it just goes down so easy

it prob helps that i am a simp for anything grapefruit flavoured

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

pile of brown posted:

I hate Fresca.

True story, I used to drink a lot of fresca when I was a teenager, until I got regular normal eat-lots-of-candies hepatitis, and suddenly it started to taste BAD. I guess the illness does something to your taste buds. In a few words, hepatitis opened my eyes.

gently caress Fresca.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Desperado Bones posted:

I hate Fresca.

True story, I used to drink a lot of fresca when I was a teenager, until I got regular normal eat-lots-of-candies hepatitis, and suddenly it started to taste BAD. I guess the illness does something to your taste buds. In a few words, hepatitis opened my eyes.

gently caress Fresca.

Probably better hepatitis than Church of the Collective tbh

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Let’s make a soda. Ok I like citrus. I know let’s use the worst tasting one! Deal!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Elephanthead posted:

Let’s make a soda. Ok I like citrus. I know let’s use the worst tasting one! Deal!

mods??

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

Fresca is p much the only aspartame based drink I really enjoy. idk it just goes down so easy

it prob helps that i am a simp for anything grapefruit flavoured

Any artificial sweetener tastes like malted dogshit to me and I have never been enjoyed a diet soda or sweetened beverage in my entire life, you’re telling me REGULAR Fresca uses Aspartame? No wonder everyone thinks it loving sucks!

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Grapefruits are garbage tier

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Another Bill posted:

It isn't a kind of parental moment you see reflected often in media either, and when it is its usually an elderly parent apologizing to their adult child.

And we actually got one of those moments earlier this season !

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

mllaneza posted:

And we actually got one of those moments earlier this season !

You're totally right and woosh it went right over my head.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I just love that Edgar said it was awful stuff and then had his manservant make him a tableside Fresca like 5 minutes later

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
grapefruit is the deadliest fruit. if you're taking certain medications and you eat a grapefruit, it can gently caress up your whole situation.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

uber_stoat posted:

grapefruit is the deadliest fruit. if you're taking certain medications and you eat a grapefruit, it can gently caress up your whole situation.

Yep, grapefruit and a lot of bp/heart meds get along poorly

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
also dickpills!

I think there's just something uniquely weird about grapefruit that makes medicines of almost all varieties just mega potent

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Cytochrome P450 is a superfamily of enzymes that do a lot of things but one things they do is help your body get rid of xenobiotics. Basically, if there is some weird chemical in your body (like, for example, a drug) it oxidizes the crap out of them.

Grapefruit inhibits this. So since your body isn't clearing the drugs as quickly, you are effectively taking more of the drug because it increases the drug's bioavailability.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Incelshok Na posted:

Cytochrome P450 is a superfamily of enzymes that do a lot of things but one things they do is help your body get rid of xenobiotics. Basically, if there is some weird chemical in your body (like, for example, a drug) it oxidizes the crap out of them.

Grapefruit inhibits this. So since your body isn't clearing the drugs as quickly, you are effectively taking more of the drug because it increases the drug's bioavailability.
Holy poo poo that's awesome.

:science:

Just kill someone with grapefruit and drugs

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

yeah grapefruit owns

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Bust Rodd posted:

SaGa is the best comic book series of the decade and I don’t think it’s particularly close.

Strong Female Protagonist has printed versions (out of print) too, just saying

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

DrNutt posted:

Probably better hepatitis than Church of the Collective tbh

Blessed be The Church of Hepatitis.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Kristen had an interview saying Soldier Boy was, surprise surprise, the first-model Homelander so looks like V gives you a long rear end life and youth

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I dunno... comic spoilers the Soldier Boy in the comics is like, the third? one in a long line of em. They clone em, or something like that, to make them all think they are the single one, but yea he died a few times...

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I dunno... comic spoilers the Soldier Boy in the comics is like, the third? one in a long line of em. They clone em, or something like that, to make them all think they are the single one, but yea he died a few times...

I believe so far Kripke has explicitly stated that their Soldier Boy is the same one that's always been, likely so that they can use him as flashback pov to show the history of Vaught/alt-USA. Unless they're being cagey or trying to misdirect, which I don't really think is their style tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
No clue, honestly. I haven't read anything about interviews or anything show related to season 3 online other than just the casting stuff and one vague plotline that's gonna be lobbed in.

He's got a pretty great track record of keeping the long story worked out though, so I'm sure it'll be something cool, regardless of which option they go with.