Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I take the DNA results about as seriously as my mother's research honestly. We know so little about haplotype prevalence, spontaneous new mutations, etc. still that to do otherwise would be foolish IMO.

Still, harmless fun until 23&Me finds a way to monetize your blood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Hello genealogists! DIY Secret Santa signups are open! Please do not send your great great great great great grandparents to your santees.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3941260

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

I take the DNA results about as seriously as my mother's research honestly. We know so little about haplotype prevalence, spontaneous new mutations, etc. still that to do otherwise would be foolish IMO.

Still, harmless fun until 23&Me finds a way to monetize your blood

Um, I guess. It all depends on what you want. Obviously if it tells you you're 69% Southern Irish you need to put that into context, but it's pretty much completely reliable when it comes to finding relatives, although it might get the predicted exact relationship wrong since every generation it's a bit of a crapshoot which bits of DNA happen to get passed on. That's why it's disproportionately popular among people who were adopted, estranged from their relatives, etc.
It's also basically 100% correct when it comes to the broader ethnic/racial strokes. I've seen some videos of racially mixed New World people getting genuinely emotional when they get their results back. That might seem strange to us who have never struggled with the same issues, but I get it.

Also they're monetizing my blood right now and I genuinely don't care, even think it's a good thing as long as they don't go all Shkreli

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

Um, I guess. It all depends on what you want. Obviously if it tells you you're 69% Southern Irish you need to put that into context, but it's pretty much completely reliable when it comes to finding relatives, although it might get the predicted exact relationship wrong since every generation it's a bit of a crapshoot which bits of DNA happen to get passed on. That's why it's disproportionately popular among people who were adopted, estranged from their relatives, etc.
It's also basically 100% correct when it comes to the broader ethnic/racial strokes. I've seen some videos of racially mixed New World people getting genuinely emotional when they get their results back. That might seem strange to us who have never struggled with the same issues, but I get it.

Also they're monetizing my blood right now and I genuinely don't care, even think it's a good thing as long as they don't go all Shkreli

Seems my post was more dismissive that I intended because I also find that in broad strokes my mother's research is probably fine and as more diversity gets added to the DNA pool I think confidence in the results will firm up. I have zero issues with linking up with closely related folks either. Its just some of the rarer haplotypes and the lower percentages that I have concern about.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, I think it's actually pretty much the same principle for me right now as far as both (traditional) genealogy and DNA testing go. With genealogy I don't really see the point in going beyond, say, the mid-18th century. Those people are barely going to be more related to you than random strangers (of your ethnicity) walking down the street.
It's the same principle with all the 'relatives' I have on 23andme right now. None of them are over 0.75% shared, it doesn't really mean anything even if we probably did have a specific common ancestor at some point in the past few centuries. I do like helping out the people to whom it does mean something, though. So far I've noticed quite a bit of interest from old American ladies, I'm a true playa.

If I actually were really interested in finding new relatives, I would definitely combine the two to fill in as much of the picture as possible.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I don't care about the biological connection so much as the documented connection. I know there's a bunch of false paternity events in all trees, but that is what it is. If they can be documented, I'm all for it.

I do genealogy for the close up & personal history of the world, just digging into old documents and gradually deciphering the lovely (or weirdly legible) cursive that I find, and the stories that are there.

I like the stories about the guy who bought a grain store that mysteriously burned down & he was acquitted, but then a couple years later he was arrested and sentenced for stealing a horse and selling it out of town so you start to wonder about the grain store,

- or the woman whose husband died and left her with 5 kids, the oldest aged 10 & how she stole crapweed to sell on the market just to survive and got 3 consecutive sentences and her kids taken away,

- or the old carpenter whose children all had married and moved away, and he wasnt able to do hus job anymore, and he woke up one morning and decided that he was too old, and went to the shed and hanged himself from his workbench,

- or the love letters from the guy who went to the city, to the mother of his child, and the five years it took before they married,

- or the woman who had children out of wedlock and was forced to marry some old widower & didnt get to marry the father of her children until 15 years later when the widower was dead,

- or the french soldier who left his wife so he could pretend to be a doctor in another city,

- or that time my guy got punched so hard after a game of chance at a pub that he just died

Those are all true stories that I found from my direct ancestors, whether theyre biological or not. They arent stories about me, but stories about the society that my ancestors lived through whether these exact people were the ones or not.

I know I have a huge privilege in my ancestors mostly being from around here & the archives being close to me but even if I werent, I doubt I would care much about dna for myself.

All this said, I am truly happy that so many people can use dna research to find closure and/or new opportunities for research or friendship. Also I am sorry for bragging.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

This is all interesting to me because I was thinking about doing a DNA test. I don't care about ethnicity or health information, though, I am only interested in connecting to relatives. I'm guessing that's pretty unlikely. I started looking into my family tree partly to find relatives who are still alive, but I realize now it doesn't really work that way. I should maybe just try finding local history nerds.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Trillian posted:

I am only interested in connecting to relatives. I'm guessing that's pretty unlikely. I started looking into my family tree partly to find relatives who are still alive, but I realize now it doesn't really work that way. I should maybe just try finding local history nerds.

DNA is good at finding living relatives. You may have to do some research to find out how you're related, but DNA helps with the modern links, which privacy laws stop you finding out about otherwise.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Trillian posted:

This is all interesting to me because I was thinking about doing a DNA test. I don't care about ethnicity or health information, though, I am only interested in connecting to relatives. I'm guessing that's pretty unlikely. I started looking into my family tree partly to find relatives who are still alive, but I realize now it doesn't really work that way. I should maybe just try finding local history nerds.

Why would that be unlikely? I mean you should absolutely work on your tree independent of DNA testing so you at least have a starting point, even if its later proven to be wrong by DNA, but you can identify up to 4th cousin with pretty good certainty (assuming at least one of you knows your tree that far back).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Trillian posted:

You will find tons of 'relatives'. If they're close ones would depend on if any of those also took the test, though. However, if you have enough distant ones, you can still piece things together, especially if you contact them.

I only have experience with 23AndMe, but I'd recommend it.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

You will find tons of 'relatives'. If they're close ones would depend on if any of those also took the test, though. However, if you have enough distant ones, you can still piece things together, especially if you contact them.

I only have experience with 23AndMe, but I'd recommend it.

I've got Ancestry, 23&Me, FTDNA, and MyHeritage DNA uploaded or tested. MyHeritage and FTDNA are better for European matches especially Northern European (lots of Swedish, German at FTDNA) and UK (more Irish, English matches at MyHeritage, along with some Nordic countries). Ancestry is pretty much the place for genealogical matches as it has the biggest database (I think its up to like 19 million people now) and the accompanying records make building a tree pretty quick and easy if you're lucky enough to have records available and know at least your grandparents in the US or Canada. It also has the benefit of showing shared matches and their trees (if public, but even private trees will tell you who your possible common ancestor is and encourage you to reach out to them for more info). 23&Me in my experience is more people testing for health reasons, as its historically been more expensive and more marketed that way, though occasionally you'll get someone awesome like a historian who's been researching their family tree for a zillion years and has amazing sources etc. or Blaine Bettinger will show up in your match list (which he did for my great aunt, but turned out to be IBC instead of IBD :( My brush with greatness, dashed against the rocks of science).

The other nice thing about using DNA is testing at least one parent will help narrow down on which line your shared matches are, and once you've got those mapped out, seeing your shared matches with THEM can help you find relatives on other lines (assuming, again, they've tested). I have my dad's and mine on FTDNA, as well my mom's paternal aunt, which means I can instantly know on which side my matches show up, you can sort them by maternal/maternal, etc. This is how I managed to trace my mom's dad's mom's side all the way back to the 1500s in Bavaria. (Well, that, a researcher, and finding an old note my other great-aunt brought back in the 80s from a trip to visit relatives in Germany copied out of a family bible that confirmed all the researcher's findings and filled in one wife whose name he couldn't find).

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Oracle posted:

I've got Ancestry, 23&Me, FTDNA, and MyHeritage DNA uploaded or tested. MyHeritage and FTDNA are better for European matches especially Northern European (lots of Swedish, German at FTDNA) and UK (more Irish, English matches at MyHeritage, along with some Nordic countries). Ancestry is pretty much the place for genealogical matches as it has the biggest database (I think its up to like 19 million people now) and the accompanying records make building a tree pretty quick and easy if you're lucky enough to have records available and know at least your grandparents in the US or Canada. It also has the benefit of showing shared matches and their trees (if public, but even private trees will tell you who your possible common ancestor is and encourage you to reach out to them for more info). 23&Me in my experience is more people testing for health reasons, as its historically been more expensive and more marketed that way, though occasionally you'll get someone awesome like a historian who's been researching their family tree for a zillion years and has amazing sources etc. or Blaine Bettinger will show up in your match list (which he did for my great aunt, but turned out to be IBC instead of IBD :( My brush with greatness, dashed against the rocks of science).

The other nice thing about using DNA is testing at least one parent will help narrow down on which line your shared matches are, and once you've got those mapped out, seeing your shared matches with THEM can help you find relatives on other lines (assuming, again, they've tested). I have my dad's and mine on FTDNA, as well my mom's paternal aunt, which means I can instantly know on which side my matches show up, you can sort them by maternal/maternal, etc. This is how I managed to trace my mom's dad's mom's side all the way back to the 1500s in Bavaria. (Well, that, a researcher, and finding an old note my other great-aunt brought back in the 80s from a trip to visit relatives in Germany copied out of a family bible that confirmed all the researcher's findings and filled in one wife whose name he couldn't find).

This is really useful info, thanks. A lot of my German relatives only appear in one or two other trees on Ancestry. That's why I thought finding a connection to living relatives was quite unlikely. But I can see there are way more connections on MyHeritage, so I should probably sign up for it and see what's there. I didn't because I thought I could get basically the same stuff from Ancestry for free.

I do have lots of connections on Ancestry for other relatives, but those are a lot less interesting. My German immigrant relatives lied about where they were from and what happened to the rest of the family, probably because of Nazi stuff, so I am interested in finding out the real story. They were Volksdeutsche whose communities basically stopped existing at the end of WWII, so records are patchy, and I don't speak German. It's tricky.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
FWIW, my mom learned one of her mother's cousins had a child out of wedlock thanks to Ancestry's DNA. The only real benefit to her was getting to see my grandmother's glee that her disliked cousin was neither a man of honor nor restraint. The lady got a lot of pictures of the family she never knew, which she seemed to like.

Remember this?

Brennanite posted:

Just last week I ran into a situation where I have no idea which set of parents a child belongs to because everyone has the same names. My gut says it's the first child of the oldest son [Jean Pierre] and his wife/maternal first cousin [Marie Emelie], but it is quite possible it's the last child of the father [also Jean Pierre] and his wife/maternal first cousin [also Marie Emelie]. I honestly can't even think of how to prove which set of parents the poor kid goes with.

I have also had the distinct displeasure of trying to untangle four related gentlemen all named Jean Baptiste residing in the same place who were born and died months apart. :suicide: Bet you can't guess the name of the church they were all baptized in. It was St. Jean Baptiste

Well, I bit the bullet and traced every stupid line of that group for a 150 yr period and I can now say decisively that 1) there were some very jumbled families in that tree and 2) the priest who diligently recorded the full names of the child being christened, their parents, each set of grandparents and where all of them were from better have made it passed St. Peter. I was able to fill in a missing generation thanks to that man.

And it only took three weeks. :cry:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Trillian posted:

This is really useful info, thanks. A lot of my German relatives only appear in one or two other trees on Ancestry. That's why I thought finding a connection to living relatives was quite unlikely. But I can see there are way more connections on MyHeritage, so I should probably sign up for it and see what's there. I didn't because I thought I could get basically the same stuff from Ancestry for free.

I do have lots of connections on Ancestry for other relatives, but those are a lot less interesting. My German immigrant relatives lied about where they were from and what happened to the rest of the family, probably because of Nazi stuff, so I am interested in finding out the real story. They were Volksdeutsche whose communities basically stopped existing at the end of WWII, so records are patchy, and I don't speak German. It's tricky.

Glad it helped! The whole 'fish in many ponds' technique is valid, if pricey at times.

As far as your German relatives you can see if you can FOIA their records from the US government for immigration/naturalization and see what they said there. Also keep in mind that wherever they were from likely has records in Polish or whatever country ended up with the property at the end of the war (lots of East Prussia/Pomerania etc ended up this way) so don't just restrict yourself to German records. You can see more info here: https://mypolishancestors.com/polish-state-archives-records-on-line/

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Brennanite posted:

FWIW, my mom learned one of her mother's cousins had a child out of wedlock thanks to Ancestry's DNA. The only real benefit to her was getting to see my grandmother's glee that her disliked cousin was neither a man of honor nor restraint. The lady got a lot of pictures of the family she never knew, which she seemed to like.
Yeah I had one of those pop up, turns out a gay cousin was married in the 70s and had a kid. As the family disowned him when he came out I had no idea as they just didn't talk about him, though things started to thaw after Ellen came out and it seemed to gain a bit of acceptance socially (they're still assholes).

quote:

Remember this?

Well, I bit the bullet and traced every stupid line of that group for a 150 yr period and I can now say decisively that 1) there were some very jumbled families in that tree and 2) the priest who diligently recorded the full names of the child being christened, their parents, each set of grandparents and where all of them were from better have made it passed St. Peter. I was able to fill in a missing generation thanks to that man.

And it only took three weeks. :cry:
Yup, sometimes you just gotta buckle down and do the tedious thankless work. But man, those priests that were good at the record keeping part of their jobs (and had good penmanship) are worth their weight in GOLD. Go light a candle for him in the denomination of his choice's church, haha.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Oracle posted:

Glad it helped! The whole 'fish in many ponds' technique is valid, if pricey at times.

As far as your German relatives you can see if you can FOIA their records from the US government for immigration/naturalization and see what they said there. Also keep in mind that wherever they were from likely has records in Polish or whatever country ended up with the property at the end of the war (lots of East Prussia/Pomerania etc ended up this way) so don't just restrict yourself to German records. You can see more info here: https://mypolishancestors.com/polish-state-archives-records-on-line/

Immigration records are actually what sent me down this rabbit hole. I am Canadian, and there is a good government database for recent records, so I searched on a whim and found out some surprising things. I wasn't expecting my relatives had come from Poland and Serbia, and I really wasn't expecting to find out who my great grandfather was.

I'll tell the story, because it's pretty wild. I thought that my great grandmother had come to Canada alone, with my infant grandma. She told me that she had left my great-grandfather just after my grandma was born, because he was abusive. I never questioned that. My great grandmother always seemed like a lovely, honest person.

My grandma, on the other hand, is pretty crazy, and that's gotten worse as she's gotten older. So when she told me one day that her father had been arrested and imprisoned by the Canadian government "just for being German," I thought it was crazy grandma dementia stuff. I told the story to another relative and was incredulous when they said my great-grandmother had said something like that once, too.

I now know it was partly true. He wasn't arrested "for being German," of course, but because he was accused of being a Nazi spy. In the days before Canada's war declaration in 1939, the RCMP arrested about 200 Canadians believed to have ties to the Nazi Party. My great-grandfather was one of them. I still don't know what he did to get on the list. His job would have made him an espionage risk, so it might be primarily because of that. Or it might not. I have made the equivalent of a FOIA request trying to get those records.

I have no idea what happened to him after the war. My great-grandmother obviously made the decision to memory-hole his existence, and I think my grandmother genuinely doesn't know.

So anyway, you can see why I'd be interested in finding some other traces of him, and of other relatives too. My grandfather said he was from Austria, and he wasn't. Can't help but wonder why, considering how the other story turned out.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Trillian posted:

Immigration records are actually what sent me down this rabbit hole. I am Canadian, and there is a good government database for recent records, so I searched on a whim and found out some surprising things. I wasn't expecting my relatives had come from Poland and Serbia, and I really wasn't expecting to find out who my great grandfather was.

I'll tell the story, because it's pretty wild. I thought that my great grandmother had come to Canada alone, with my infant grandma. She told me that she had left my great-grandfather just after my grandma was born, because he was abusive. I never questioned that. My great grandmother always seemed like a lovely, honest person.

My grandma, on the other hand, is pretty crazy, and that's gotten worse as she's gotten older. So when she told me one day that her father had been arrested and imprisoned by the Canadian government "just for being German," I thought it was crazy grandma dementia stuff. I told the story to another relative and was incredulous when they said my great-grandmother had said something like that once, too.

I now know it was partly true. He wasn't arrested "for being German," of course, but because he was accused of being a Nazi spy. In the days before Canada's war declaration in 1939, the RCMP arrested about 200 Canadians believed to have ties to the Nazi Party. My great-grandfather was one of them. I still don't know what he did to get on the list. His job would have made him an espionage risk, so it might be primarily because of that. Or it might not. I have made the equivalent of a FOIA request trying to get those records.

I have no idea what happened to him after the war. My great-grandmother obviously made the decision to memory-hole his existence, and I think my grandmother genuinely doesn't know.

So anyway, you can see why I'd be interested in finding some other traces of him, and of other relatives too. My grandfather said he was from Austria, and he wasn't. Can't help but wonder why, considering how the other story turned out.

Haha, oops. My great-grandmother made the unfortunate decision to go on a three month whirlwind tour of the Old Country to visit relatives on both sides of the family in Germany.

In 1937.

She never applied for citizenship, just kind of assumed when my great-grandfather (also native-born German) got it she did too, and all her kids were born here so why bother. So WWII rolls around and all of a sudden she's an enemy alien resident and has to carry around a pink passbook that she is by law bound to surrender to whatever government official stops her on the street and asks for it to prove she's a legal permanent resident. You can read more about the alien sedition act here and here. I still have the passbook somewhere. Its interesting and kind of scary in a 'papers please' kind of way.

Are you sure he's not from Austria? Borders were changing a lot around that time and it may be what was Austria when he left it wasn't when he got here.

And your grandfather may have been innocent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_concentration_and_internment_camps#German_Canadian_internment

quote:

German Canadian internment

During the Second World War, 850 German Canadians were accused of being spies for the Nazis, as well as subversives and saboteurs. The internees were given a chance by authorities to defend themselves; according to the transcripts of the appeal tribunals, internees and state officials debated conflicting concepts of citizenship.

Many German Canadians interned in Camp Petawawa were from a migration in 1876. They had arrived in a small area a year after a Polish migration landed in Wilno, Ontario. Their hamlet, made up of farmers primarily, was called Germanicus, and is in the bush less than 10 miles (16 km) from Eganville, Ontario. Their farms (homesteads originally) were expropriated by the federal government for no compensation, and the men were imprisoned behind barbed wire in the AOAT camp. (The Foymount Air Force Base near Cormac and Eganville was built on this expropriated land.) Notable was that not one of these homesteaders from 1876 or their descendants had ever visited Germany again after 1876, yet they were accused of being German Nazi agents.

756 German sailors, mostly captured in East Asia were sent from camps in India to Canada in June 1941 (Camp 33).[32]

By 19 April 1941, 61 prisoners had made a break for liberty from Canadian internment camps. The escapees included 28 German prisoners who escaped from the internment camp east of Port Arthur, Ontario in April 1941.[33]

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/internment

quote:

Most of the German Canadian internees were members of German-sponsored organizations. Some were leaders of the National Unity Party (the Canadian Nazi Party). Hundreds of Germans on Canadian soil were accused of spying and subversion.

The camps also housed captured enemy soldiers. More than 700 German sailors captured in East Asia were sent to Canada. German immigrants who had arrived in Canada after 1922 were also forced to register with the authorities; 16,000 did so. (See also Prisoner of War Camps in Canada.)

So that might give you an idea of where else to look at least.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

1937 is before Germany declared war on even Poland, and you said it was just a three-month visit, so I'm a little confused.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

1937 is before Germany declared war on even Poland, and you said it was just a three-month visit, so I'm a little confused.

Nazism was popular among a certain subset of German Americans and watched with concern and you also had your typical anti-German anti-immigrant sentiment so anyone with a recent connection to Nazi Germany after Pearl Harbor was not looked upon well. Honestly, any German resident alien was treated with suspicion during the war. I assume since my great-grandfather worked for GM and was a citizen he got treated better (or at least I never heard otherwise) her trip must’ve been what triggered the treatment. I know for sure they both experienced harassment during WWI and refused to teach their kids German because of it (except aforementioned aunt who was the firstborn and a total daddy’s girl).

Not that great-grandma was a Nazi, but I found at least one picture of her with what was probably an overseas cousin in Nazi uniform among one of her daughter’s things. It and the other photo albums in the cabinet they were in disappeared after her death and I assume her grandkids took them. My grandfather signed up after Pearl Harbor and spent the war guarding Newfoundland and going on ski patrol, heh.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Speaking of, I came across this website the other day, they have a ton of church registers online, primarily from Austria, Germany, and Luxembourg:
https://data.matricula-online.eu/de/bestande/

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello DIYers! We have a new forum/mod feedback thread and would love to hear your thoughts!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944213

Get ready to read this message 15 more times in every thread you read!

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 16, 2020

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Sweet have a bit of a mystery on my hands.

One of my great great grandmothers apparently came over from Sweden pregnant with my great grandfather. No information on the father is available. I have two landing dates, separated by two months, to the same port in Boston on the same steam ship (Cephalonia, a great name!). Information on my mother's MyHeritage gives two possible birth places, Svinhult (in Ostergotland) and Ingatorp (in Jonkoping). These two places are connected by a short stretch of road in fact. Anyway, I have plenty of information on her parents, which makes Ingatorp the most likely place of long term residence. So, I suppose digging into possible marriage certificates held in either the Ingatorp or Svinhult kykor is probably my best route to explore? The fact he has a different last name than she suggests she gave him a patronym, which would make the father Anders someone or other (which doesn't help a great deal).

Of course, if she fled out of shame to start a new life I'm probably stuck, eh?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

When are we talking ish? By default, everyone in Scandinavia got a patronym until the mid-late 1800s (unless they had a fancy craftsman or soldier name to pass on), sometimes even further. Some places into the 1900s. Also we all made them legal again recently as well.

Anyway, it sounds like you have some specific dates/locations that can be looked up and verified. The "digital research hall" at the Swedish national archives has pretty much all church registers as well as husförhörslängder (running census rolls) and probates. I don't know if the below link is in English but if not you can switch language with a dropdown top right.

https://sok.riksarkivet.se/digitala-forskarsalen

Out to the left, you can put in parish name in the top text field and choose "kyrkoarkiv" (church/parish archive) in the bottom one. That gives a result of possible parishes. From there, you can choose which type of record you want. There's a green button "bild" that means "picture" to open the viewer.

I'll happily help further just lemme know :)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Carthag Tuek posted:

When are we talking ish? By default, everyone in Scandinavia got a patronym until the mid-late 1800s (unless they had a fancy craftsman or soldier name to pass on), sometimes even further. Some places into the 1900s. Also we all made them legal again recently as well.

Anyway, it sounds like you have some specific dates/locations that can be looked up and verified. The "digital research hall" at the Swedish national archives has pretty much all church registers as well as husförhörslängder (running census rolls) and probates. I don't know if the below link is in English but if not you can switch language with a dropdown top right.

https://sok.riksarkivet.se/digitala-forskarsalen

Out to the left, you can put in parish name in the top text field and choose "kyrkoarkiv" (church/parish archive) in the bottom one. That gives a result of possible parishes. From there, you can choose which type of record you want. There's a green button "bild" that means "picture" to open the viewer.

I'll happily help further just lemme know :)

Thanks. I've been working on my Swedish but we lost the language with my parent's generation (loving boomers). Landing in Boston took place in 1887.

Re patronyms: I work with an Icelander and his father who is in the same faculty, and their names are swapovers for one another so they are constantly getting each other's emails

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

You’re lucky that your mystery resides in Sweden they have excellent records. Unless you’re my great-great-great grandma who I’m pretty sure married the brother of my great-great-grandfather because he was busy being married at the time he knocked her up and probably denied the whole thing.

Also I have Swedes near that area maybe we’re related.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Oracle posted:

You’re lucky that your mystery resides in Sweden they have excellent records. Unless you’re my great-great-great grandma who I’m pretty sure married the brother of my great-great-grandfather because he was busy being married at the time he knocked her up and probably denied the whole thing.

Also I have Swedes near that area maybe we’re related.

Probably, it looks like that line stayed in Ingatorp and surrounding areas (Bellö for one) for many generations after. And I have other lines further west in Jönköping and east in Kalmar, and to the south in Blekinge as well. Between my parents families being both predominant Swedish I've genetic relations throughout most of southern Sweden and a little into Norway.

Reading through my mothers correspondence, she's getting stuck on the German lines though, with name changes, misspellings, and missing records. This seems consistent with findings from folks ITT as well. I might dig more into this in the future. If nothing else, its a good excuse to learn more geography and history.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

lol my mother doesn't even have a birth certificate for my g grandpa, which seems a logical first step to get a father's name. Ordering from Illinois...

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Bilirubin posted:

Reading through my mothers correspondence, she's getting stuck on the German lines though, with name changes, misspellings, and missing records. This seems consistent with findings from folks ITT as well. I might dig more into this in the future. If nothing else, its a good excuse to learn more geography and history.

I have now spent an unreasonable amount of time looking for my German family and what I have really learned is that I knew nothing about eastern Europe or the eastern fronts of the world wars. Learning about the history has actually been really interesting.

Here's something that is relevant for genealogy: After WWII, about 20% of the population of East and West Germany were refugees from territories that Germany lost in 1945. That's a big population movement that has gotten very little attention in English-language history. That shows in people's Ancestry trees. I've run across several with ancestors who were actually from from modern-day Poland labelled as though they were from modern-day Germany or Austria. People have found a town in Germany with the same name as Grandma's hometown, and assumed it was the right one. Like me, they were told their relatives were German, they don't know the history, and absolutely every German place in Poland had its name changed after 1945 so you don't tend to stumble across the old German names by accident.

Of course that may not be the case for your family, but this a thing to think about for anyone looking up German ancestry.

I now know enough to give pretty good advice on German research in Lower Silesia, and a bit of advice on Serbia, Czechoslovakia or other places in Poland, if anyone needs it. I am sure there's someone on this forum that knows way more than I do, but I am getting less stupid. My general tip is to figure out the German vocabulary words and search in German (or Polish, etc.), because English-language resources are pretty limited but Google Translate is good. Even English-language academic work often uses German vocabulary for historical phenomena.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Trillian posted:

I have now spent an unreasonable amount of time looking for my German family and what I have really learned is that I knew nothing about eastern Europe or the eastern fronts of the world wars. Learning about the history has actually been really interesting.

Here's something that is relevant for genealogy: After WWII, about 20% of the population of East and West Germany were refugees from territories that Germany lost in 1945. That's a big population movement that has gotten very little attention in English-language history. That shows in people's Ancestry trees. I've run across several with ancestors who were actually from from modern-day Poland labelled as though they were from modern-day Germany or Austria. People have found a town in Germany with the same name as Grandma's hometown, and assumed it was the right one. Like me, they were told their relatives were German, they don't know the history, and absolutely every German place in Poland had its name changed after 1945 so you don't tend to stumble across the old German names by accident.

Of course that may not be the case for your family, but this a thing to think about for anyone looking up German ancestry.

I now know enough to give pretty good advice on German research in Lower Silesia, and a bit of advice on Serbia, Czechoslovakia or other places in Poland, if anyone needs it. I am sure there's someone on this forum that knows way more than I do, but I am getting less stupid. My general tip is to figure out the German vocabulary words and search in German (or Polish, etc.), because English-language resources are pretty limited but Google Translate is good. Even English-language academic work often uses German vocabulary for historical phenomena.

You know, that makes a great deal of sense given what our family history tells us vs the DNA. One of my father's grandmothers had "German" ancestry, but his genetics via MyHeritage came out as:
75.6% Scandinavian -- This makes complete sense, most of my ancestry comes from here
13.4% North and West European (German, French) -- This also makes sense given said great grandmother (and a great grandmother of his that, family legend has it, was of a Huguenot family that fled to Sweden)
7.6% East European (Poland, Ukraine, etc.) -- This is a stumper, but is possibly explained by what you said above
2.2% English -- This also makes sense as he has several lines of original settlers from England to the US (Mayflower, Salem settlers)
1.2% West Asian (Turkey, Iran, Iraq) -- Yeah we got no idea on this one. Viking traders? Eastern European admixture? Who knows

Back on the mystery of great grandfather's dad: if my hit on a ships manifest database is correct she did not leave Sweden knocked up unless she gestated for over 11 months. Curiouser and curiouser.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Its also consistent with the German lines on my mom's side, her genetic testing also hit on some Eastern European contributions. But instead of West Asian she is the one that got 1.9% North African (Berber) haplotypes.

One big messy gene pool!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the more detailed ethnic breakdown on these sites (unless you get a huge percentage of something unexpected), Europe has always been too mixed for that. Since last month, my British & Irish ancestry on 23andMe has gone from 34% to 25% and now finally 2.9% after this latest update. The current estimate makes sense and obviously it's also the most recent one, so I assume it's the more correct one, but who knows what I'll be by next year.

e: I also had small percentages of Southern European and Eastern European, those are completely gone now

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 24, 2020

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Genealogy name of the week: Honora Harrington

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Jaguars! posted:

lol really?

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Jaguars! posted:

Pfft, I see your Honora and raise you a Scholastique ("Scholastie" on census records) and a Frozine.

Edit: Wait, is this going to be some European thing?

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I've had trouble searching through German records. I'm used to Finnish databases and they're pretty easy to navigate even though I don't speak Finn. One of my great great grandfather's was born in Selbitz in 1841. I have a birthdate and full name but all of the big genealogy websites have nothing.

I've tried looking at the local church websites and other German databases but I can't find anything to browse. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Brennanite posted:

Pfft, I see your Honora and raise you a Scholastique ("Scholastie" on census records) and a Frozine.

Edit: Wait, is this going to be some European thing?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorverse#Protagonist

If the teminator goes back to 1790s Ireland looking for John Connor, there's going to be a real bloodbath

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Jaguars! posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorverse#Protagonist

If the teminator goes back to 1790s Ireland looking for John Connor, there's going to be a real bloodbath

For once, I am insufficiently nerdy. :eng99:

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jaguars! posted:

This week I discovered a distant cousin Clarice Mutton, who married a Mr Ham.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Gravitee posted:

I've had trouble searching through German records. I'm used to Finnish databases and they're pretty easy to navigate even though I don't speak Finn. One of my great great grandfather's was born in Selbitz in 1841. I have a birthdate and full name but all of the big genealogy websites have nothing.

I've tried looking at the local church websites and other German databases but I can't find anything to browse. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

There are a couple places called Selbitz. Two in Bayern and one in Sachsen:
https://s.meyersgaz.org/search?search=Selbitz

Archion.de has some of the church registers from Bayern online (the available ones are marked green). It's a pay site, so I haven't yet tried it.
https://www.archion.de/de/browse/?no_cache=1&path=48049-541505-546227&cHash=8e53f0bbcea9b8faeeb1295e5f9443dd

FamilySearch has some from Sachsen, but they don't seem to be accessible unless you're at one of their Family Research Centers:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/137597

There's also a Selbitz in Austria:
https://data.matricula-online.eu/de/oesterreich/st-poelten/st-poelten_kirchbach/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Gravitee posted:

As Carhuag said, you gotta make sure you have the right town, in the right area. This is a common mistake. You also have to make sure the spelling hadn’t changed over the years, that it hasn’t been subsumed into a different area over the years, etc. Meyer’s Gazette is a great resource for this so follow her link.

If you don’t know which town of that name is the correct one, check old census records. They may say the province they came from instead of Germany (which really didn’t exist as such til WWII). Prussia vs Mecklenburg vs. Bavaria will help narrow it down.

Also try immigration records. Germans came into the US through several ports pre-Ellis island some popular ones including New Orleans, Baltimore and Philadelphia in addition to New York. If you’re lucky you may also find passenger or emigration lists in Germany that will correctly list which town and province/kingdom/principality.

Don’t be a stickler on spelling. The DB search is only as good as the transcription and a lot of transcriptions suck. Also standardized spelling wasn’t really a thing for names of semi-literate populations until early 20th c. And ancestry has an annoying habit of not including all information in transcription in order to force you to pay to see the images. You should always double check the image anyway and not rely on the transcription to be accurate because fewer and fewer people read cursive anymore, handwriting quality sucks, and German handwriting is pretty illegible for even modern day Germans to decipher (the letters were different) unless you’re really old and/or have taken a class on how to read Sutterlin. Things like umlauts didn’t survive the trip over so search german databases with them and American databases with their English equivalent (ue for ü for example).

For first names remember that called by names and legal names were different. Families would use naming conventions where every child would have the same saints name then go by one of their middle names in everyday life. So Johann Georg Heinrich and Johann Heinrich Georg might be brothers where one goes by Heinrich and the other by Georg, or Heinrich and Heinz, or Georg and Heinrich, or they might be the same person, you’ll need to pay attention to other sources to confirm. In the US those names may be anglicized to George and Henry, or they might go by John.