Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/COVID19Tracking/status/1320128206393884672?s=20

It's not great folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

you don't get to wear a mask you worthless piece of poo poo

i hope whatever you do buy ends up being counterfeit and you die on a loving ventilator

This is too far. This is going too far and is unacceptable

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Rounding the corner in the wrong direction lol

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Fallom posted:

Edit: nm, that link is N95s not KN95s. Probably a good price.

It's a conical style L-188 not a cup style one. Looks like a KN95 but is a N95.

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/NIOSH-CEL/ApprovalDetails?schedule=84A&approvalNum=6973

Do your own seal tests for any mask since not one size fits all. But a headband will do you better than earloops.

Obviously non medical use but the particulate filtration is fine for civilian use for more protection than a KN95 and IMHO a better consistent seal with the adjustable nose piece. The slight flex in the material (versus the rigid cup N95s) mold to my face better since well it is not as rigid.

They have the cup style ones on sale below MSRP too: https://bonafidemasks.com/harley-n95-respirator-face-mask-model-l-288/

(I hear fat goon faces fit the cup ones better?!)

Edit. It's a better deal than whatever that one banner ad here was selling at ridiculous predatory prices.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Will you idiots shut the gently caress up about Burt. Put him on ignore and move on with your life.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Will you idiots shut the gently caress up about Burt. Put him on ignore and move on with your life.

:magemage:

Just read the last like 5 pages and don't see anyone talking about him are you in the right thread

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Listening to the debate the other day, Biden talked about requiring businesses to follow basic COVID protocols like enforcing physical distancing, reducing capacities, and putting up plexiglass barriers... which were basic steps I had just assumed every western nation had quickly adopted back in March or April? Asked my yankee friends to clarify, and businesses apparently have had zero mandate to protect their customers or employees this whole loving time? The gently caress is wrong with America.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Chocobo posted:

Listening to the debate the other day, Biden talked about requiring businesses to follow basic COVID protocols like enforcing physical distancing, reducing capacities, and putting up plexiglass barriers... which were basic steps I had just assumed every western nation had quickly adopted back in March or April? Asked my yankee friends to clarify, and businesses apparently have had zero mandate to protect their customers or employees this whole loving time? The gently caress is wrong with America.

A lot

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Casu Marzu posted:

:magemage:

Just read the last like 5 pages and don't see anyone talking about him are you in the right thread

Read a few posts up quoting one of the like 5 posts on the last page. The one hoping he dies. I'm in the right thread.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Chocobo posted:

I will say around here (Philadelphia) I haven't been into a place that doesn't have a "You have to wear a mask" sign and everybody complying and I see plastic barriers in almost every building I go into. I do see the occasional rear end in a top hat not wearing one or wearing it wrong but it's not often. It's not like that everywhere but around here it's been alright.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Chocobo posted:

do you have some time to learn about the good word on PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY?

seriously, in the usa the police and governance mostly steps in when businesses or the governance are threatened or when the police know their local community

otherwise the only person looking out for your health and safety is yourself and that is as the powers that be think it should be because it isolates you from your community and ties you to your place of employment

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

explosivo posted:

I will say around here (Philadelphia) I haven't been into a place that doesn't have a "You have to wear a mask" sign and everybody complying and I see plastic barriers in almost every building I go into. I do see the occasional rear end in a top hat not wearing one or wearing it wrong but it's not often. It's not like that everywhere but around here it's been alright.

I'm in sub/ex-urban NJ (Somerset County) and mask compliance seems to be >99%.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Chocobo posted:

The US is 50 different countries that sometimes cooperate, but most of the time don't. Some of the countries mandate things like that, and even have a populace that mostly follows the directions. Some of them think that forcing cars to not run over pedestrians is too much regulation, let alone begging people to wear a mask.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think many businesses have done it voluntarily (I would estimate like 98% of businesses here in NYC), but it wasn't legally required, legislatures didn't immediately gather to pass laws about it

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Most places out here in AZ have the mask signs up but gently caress if they enforce poo poo at all.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Most places out here in AZ have the mask signs up but gently caress if they enforce poo poo at all.

Some fat lady walked out of the bathroom same time i walked into a taco bell today and immediately as she got in line behind me she yelled helloooo customers waiting but then when the cashier came out and first thing she did was to tell the fat rude lady to put a mask on

it was the first time i saw it enforced here in Fl even if out of spite

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1320190217685508096

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

explosivo posted:

My folks live up near Philly and the impression I get from them is very much what you've described. They wear masks whenever they go out. Plus the town they live in has figured out a seemingly reasonable al fresco dining strategy for the restaurants in town. Apparently they're shutting off car access to big chunks of town each weekend and spreading tables out into the streets.

Honestly it sounds like a good way to stimulate business even sans pandemic.

On the other hand I still live in deepest darkest Georgia, though at least now I'm in the northern chunk of the state. I'd say 90%+ of the locals wear masks in the grocery, but I walked through the center of town to grab a bottle of wine last weekend and literally no one aside from the servers were wearing masks.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
The only way the US is going to get the virus under control is to shut down, the way NZ/AU/Korea etc has. That means bars, clubs, restaurants, theatres, literally everything that isn't an essential business.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

abigserve posted:

The only way the US is going to get the virus under control is to shut down, the way NZ/AU/Korea etc has. That means bars, clubs, restaurants, theatres, literally everything that isn't an essential business.

it's not happening. even fauci has given up on that

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

abigserve posted:

As long as I live I will never get over being just flabbergasted that if the United States where I live just shut down everything for a month, we are a rich country we could have the military and national guard mask up and deliver food to those who needed it, we could make this work
Do it for a month shut down
The world would not end.
But Covid as a pandemic would. We could then move forward- reopen everything- jump on outbreaks and economy saved.

Life could essentially return to normal

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

abigserve posted:

That won't happen now.

It's too late and because of the vast number of cases in the community it'd take a really long, strict lockdown for the outbreak to be stamped out.

It also looks like you've got various local authorities that would flat out refuse to enforce something like that so there would just end up being reservoirs of virus in chuddy communities which would then kick off fresh outbreaks once the lockdown is lifted.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Spinz posted:

As long as I live I will never get over being just flabbergasted that if the United States where I live just shut down everything for a month, we are a rich country we could have the military and national guard mask up and deliver food to those who needed it, we could make this work
Do it for a month shut down
The world would not end.
But Covid as a pandemic would. We could then move forward- reopen everything- jump on outbreaks and economy saved.

Life could essentially return to normal

I've been on this mindset since the beginning. Lock everything down. Smaller businesses would be reimbursed. People would be given lifelines.

However, I think we would have people who are so outraged they would no joke get the virus on purpose and spread it in any way possible.They'd show up at nursing homes and cough on everyone. Go to hospitals and cough on everyone. Anywhere that had people in clusters would be a target. People would go this loving nuts over it.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

gay picnic defence posted:

It also looks like you've got various local authorities that would flat out refuse to enforce something like that so there would just end up being reservoirs of virus in chuddy communities which would then kick off fresh outbreaks once the lockdown is lifted.
Um yeah, there are lots of reports of sheriffs refusing to enforce governor-ordered lockdowns/mask orders/etc., and they oversee entire counties.

Being cavalier about the virus makes you seem smart as long as there are no cases around, but it's essentially laying down lots and lots of kindling, so as soon as it inevitably arrives in your community, one spark creates a megafire that can't be contained.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's insane we've managed to make the over-the-top Full Totalitarianism Now lockdown from Outbreak look like the best plan ever in comparison to what we actually did.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This push to reopen movie theaters has me rolling my eyes. There is no way to make a movie theater safe during a pandemic. It can't be done unless you convert the whole building into a drive in theater or something. If you require masks, people will take them off when it gets dark. If you separate the seats, the AC will blow the virus around the room as has been proven time and time again. If you don't sell concessions or limit concessions, you'll lose money. Sorry movie theaters, you had a good run but it's over now.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm not really sad to see them go, the insane improvements in TV and home projector tech in the last two decades has basically destroyed a lot of the advantages movie theaters used to have over home viewing. These days, it's the surround sound system that's a better value upgrade from what most people have at home, and that poo poo's so loud you have to wear earplugs for it anyway. And you never talk to anyone other than your family/friends there anyway, and I doubt anyone misses sticky floors/seats or loudass kids running amok in the aisles during previews.

Good riddance to bad rubbish, I say. If the pandemic ever ends, they should be replaced with a live theater renaissance instead.

The only that's really bad about it is that the pandemic may very well have revived the Studio System in the form of stream service fragmentation.

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 25, 2020

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

CJacobs posted:

This push to reopen movie theaters has me rolling my eyes. There is no way to make a movie theater safe during a pandemic. It can't be done unless you convert the whole building into a drive in theater or something. If you require masks, people will take them off when it gets dark. If you separate the seats, the AC will blow the virus around the room as has been proven time and time again. If you don't sell concessions or limit concessions, you'll lose money. Sorry movie theaters, you had a good run but it's over now.
The one near me requires masks, but not if you're eating or drinking. So if you're working on a giant popcorn over the course of the movie then I guess you don't need one!

They hype up how much they sanitize surfaces, but that doesn't loving matter when you're sitting indoors, breathing the same air as a nearby covid patient who's masklessly munching on Milk Duds.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I'm not really sad to see them go, the insane improvements in TV and home projector tech in the last two decades has basically destroyed a lot of the advantages movie theaters used to have over home viewing. These days, it's the surround sound system that's a better value upgrade from what most people have at home, and that poo poo's so loud you have to wear earplugs for it anyway. And you never talk to anyone other than your family/friends there anyway, and I doubt anyone misses sticky floors/seats or loudass kids running amok in the aisles during previews.

Good riddance to bad rubbish, I say. If the pandemic ever ends, they should be replaced with a live theater renaissance instead.

The only that's really bad about it is that the pandemic may very well have revived the Studio System in the form of stream service fragmentation.
Home theaters are indeed pretty good these days, but the loss of common spaces outside the home is a really big deal. The loss of music and performing arts venues, etc., is probably going to have a lot of ill effects beyond the loss of the spaces themselves.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 25, 2020

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Going the way of the arcades, luckily nothing of value is being lost.

In my region I suspect the generic chain multiplexes are gonna be in deep poo poo (coronavirus or no, honestly) but the little boutique ones that serve food and liquor may be able to pop back up after things clear up in... a while.

rbk
Nov 2, 2005

I really believe there are things nobody would see if I didn't photograph them.
I only wear KN95 masks, my husband has a reusable N95-ish mask from EnvoMask. I don’t want to wear cloth masks because I really don’t want more laundry to deal with and also I want more protection than some 1918 flu masks. I’m stressing trying to find something small enough for my kid (2 next month) because she will be required to wear one when we are at her appointments now. I would prefer KN95 so I hope this random Chinese site I found with toddler sized KN95 masks is legit. I just want something I can keep in the diaper bag and then put in the trash afterwards like my own masks.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Nah, I used to hate theaters. Having your chair kicked. Sitting shoulder to shoulder next to people you had no idea who they were. Having to piss in the middle of a movie was the worst as you tripped over 20 peoples feet trying to get through and then tripping your way back into your seat. I basically bought the biggest baddest rear end home theater ever and stayed home.

When they remodeled with the reclining sofas, alcohol and food delivery, and enough room to march a band up and down the aisles it was like heaven. Not even a 70" HDTV with full 7.1 comes close to what most decent theaters offer today.

Yeah, they'll go under, and it's going to loving suck. But they'll come back. Likely they'll come back branded by Fox, Disney and start franchising them back out again. It'll be a good 10 years from now most likely.

rbk
Nov 2, 2005

I really believe there are things nobody would see if I didn't photograph them.

Philthy posted:

When they remodeled with the reclining sofas, alcohol and food delivery, and enough room to march a band up and down the aisles it was like heaven. Not even a 70" HDTV with full 7.1 comes close to what most decent theaters offer today.

Yeah, they'll go under, and it's going to loving suck. But they'll come back. Likely they'll come back branded by Fox, Disney and start franchising them back out again. It'll be a good 10 years from now most likely.

Yep, I could never go back to a theater without reclining comfy seats, ordering food that is brought out to me, and the ability to reserve specific seats in the theater so I can roll in at my leisure and still get a good spot. Otherwise I can just stay home and sit on my own couch. I’m not itching to go inside a theater as long as the covid death toll is increasing.

MrKonarski
May 9, 2012

Jeza posted:

It's never such a simple binary, it would be nice if it was. Take, for example, Spain:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/07/17/upshot/coronavirus-face-mask-map.html

Spain has had harsh lockdowns, wears more masks than Japan (at least back in July) and significantly more than the US - yet is still getting hammered right now. There are so many factors that are relevant, but above and beyond all of them is individual behaviour. Masks help, but they are by nature infinitely worse than not being outside in the first place.

Masks slow but don't prevent the spread of the virus. Only stringent lockdowns offer any efficacy in that regard. Why is Europe spiking? It's just been a natural bounce back from most countries ending lockdown. If anything mask use is far, far higher across all of Europe than it was in the early days. I think most Europeans would attest to that. What's different now than back in April is that there are several times as many people going about their daily lives, masked up or otherwise.

All things held equal, Europe should fare worse than the US simply based on population density and lifestyle. To use Spain, again, consider the fact that 2/3 of all Spaniards live in apartments, proportionally double that of the US. Shopping delivery is far less culturally relevant, consumers shop more frequently at smaller shops by foot rather than by car, public transport is far more relevant to the average citizen, youth unemployment in Spain is more than 2x higher than the US - the potential factors go on and on. Belgium has notoriously been shredded by COVID - they have an urban population of over 98%, the highest in the world that isn't just a city-state. I don't mean to sound glib, but when the virus is already endemic and not controlled, masks or no masks, what really matters is how many people there are in one place and how often they come into contact with each other.

Late to the convo but I am Spanish and I went back there for personal reasons (mom's health not doing ok) and literally everyone was outside in the bar terraces like nothing happened, the right to do as we please goes before public health,

I am currently living in Prague and well,

https://imgur.com/s3RcVQU

This is on full lockdown, yesterday at 11 AM.

Culture plays a pivotal role on whether this drat virus spreads or not.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

MrKonarski posted:

Late to the convo but I am Spanish and I went back there for personal reasons (mom's health not doing ok) and literally everyone was outside in the bar terraces like nothing happened, the right to do as we please goes before public health,

I am currently living in Prague and well,

https://imgur.com/s3RcVQU

This is on full lockdown, yesterday at 11 AM.

Culture plays a pivotal role on whether this drat virus spreads or not.

is the texas bbq attracting czech chuds? thats pretty awesome

MrKonarski
May 9, 2012

Delta-Wye posted:

is the texas bbq attracting czech chuds? thats pretty awesome

The whole political spectrum in the Czech Republic is varying forms of Chudism,

Including the literal nazi party having a half-japanese leader named Tomio Okamura,

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://twitter.com/CNNSotu/status/1320360894182862850
We're so hosed.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

gay picnic defence posted:

They offered a solution to that issue in the cinematic film 'Outbreak'

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

MrKonarski posted:

The whole political spectrum in the Czech Republic is varying forms of Chudism,

Including the literal nazi party having a half-japanese leader named Tomio Okamura,

Hey we have a half-Portuguese nationalist in Poland, these dudes are always fun wit their brain gymnastics

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

CJacobs posted:

The VAST majority of theater income is from concessions. If they have packed houses every night but didn't sell food they'd tank anyway.

Regarding home theaters, sure they're great now, but nothing will beat the movie experience for me.

Delta-Wye posted:

Going the way of the arcades, luckily nothing of value is being lost.

In my region I suspect the generic chain multiplexes are gonna be in deep poo poo (coronavirus or no, honestly) but the little boutique ones that serve food and liquor may be able to pop back up after things clear up in... a while.

From what I've heard it's the exact opposite. The small ones have no capital to survive this whatsoever and the big ones can sell dozens of their theaters to keep their other ones going. The small ones are just like any small business, which aren't doing well right now.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

:black101:

these people don't deserve anything but to be chained in a dark basement