Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Correct me if I'm wrong - they certainly don't make it very clear, when you'd think it would near the top of the list of changes people are hoping for - but it looks like the hard border between Melbourne and country Vic won't reopen until there are zero cases recorded for 14 days? "Step three" still says country Victorians cannot travel into Melbourne without valid reason, and then "last step" says there are no longer any travel restrictions. And that's the trigger point for "last step."

https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/coronavirus-covid-19-restrictions-roadmaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think I heard Andrews say that he expects regional travel to resume some time in November, despite what the roadmap says.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

EoinCannon posted:

I think I heard Andrews say that he expects regional travel to resume some time in November, despite what the roadmap says.

Yep, the roadmap was always just a rough outline. And yep Andrews said as long as the numbers are good then regional travel in November.
No more details than that, like if your restricted with how large a group your traveling with and what not, but any restrictions would be really hard to enforce if it's just for Melbourne people traveling to regional areas, so I'm guessing if there's regional travel that would also mean pretty light restrictions just generally as well.

Otherwise things start to get confusing as gently caress. Unless it's just straight up regional travel from one household.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I'd assume that if we end up accepting a Sydney status quo of a steady low burn of controlled cases indefinitely, which appears to be the state government's implicit aim*, that would surely have to change. And supposedly NSW is going to lift the border in the next couple of weeks? I guess that benefits regional Vic, but my gf's parents are in Albury, and it would be funny if she was allowed to go to NSW but not allowed to travel through regional Vic to get there (or, for that matter, allowed to travel the 25+ km to Tullamarine to fly there).

*still not clear to me whether or not they're actually aiming for WA/SA-style elimination but don't want to say so out loud in case they fail, so they couch it in terms of "zero community transmission"

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Regional travel is the big one for me cos I can't see most of my family.

If they can control this northern suburbs and school thing going on at the moment hopefully that means they are on top of things enough where we can get to a nsw situation where we don't have to be at a sustained zero to do anything social.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

freebooter posted:

*still not clear to me whether or not they're actually aiming for WA/SA-style elimination but don't want to say so out loud in case they fail, so they couch it in terms of "zero community transmission"

Well, how exactly do you define elimination? WA has a bunch of active covid cases, but they are pretty much all overseas travelers returning, or boats from other countries.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I don't think anyone considers either of those things to disqualify elimination.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

"Zero community transmission" and "elimination" are the same thing phrased differently.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I guess so, they both just mean "no one is spreading covid to anyone else anymore", they're not like, actaul epidemiological terms

I guess also that the first one is just because it's used so it's a term now

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 23, 2020

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

"Elimination" has long been an epidemiological term. "Zero community transmission" is something the federal government invented this year for the same thing simply because they don't want to say "elimination" in case we subsequently have an Auckland style reinfection and it makes them look bad. Even though that turned out fine - you just go into lockdown again until you eliminate again - and I for one would 100% have preferred to spend this year in Auckland than Melbourne. Just call it elimination, dickheads, nobody thinks it's a magic wand.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

So looks like Gladys is going to get away with this whole shredding the money grants thing... it defiantly looked like she’s got a fall person ready to go.

Cannot wait to see what ICAC comes back with.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

On the Gladys stuff:

Whilst she looks clearly guilty of a bunch of shady stuff. I have been surprisingly impressed with the lack of 'slut shaming' of Ms Berejiklian.

Given the shitshow we have as a media in this country, I would have expected all the coverage to be a breathless schoolyard "The Premier has a boyfriend!! She liked him and had a close emotional connection with him!!! OOOOOOH"

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
The MSM/political apparatus will spare you that sort of thing as long as you're in the correct party, never fear.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Into The Mild posted:

So looks like Gladys is going to get away with this whole shredding the money grants thing... it defiantly looked like she’s got a fall person ready to go.

Cannot wait to see what ICAC comes back with.

Wouldn't they all be on a hard drive or cloud backup?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

BrigadierSensible posted:

On the Gladys stuff:

Whilst she looks clearly guilty of a bunch of shady stuff. I have been surprisingly impressed with the lack of 'slut shaming' of Ms Berejiklian.

Given the shitshow we have as a media in this country, I would have expected all the coverage to be a breathless schoolyard "The Premier has a boyfriend!! She liked him and had a close emotional connection with him!!! OOOOOOH"

She's on the correct side of politics so the media can't touch her.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Comstar posted:

Wouldn't they all be on a hard drive or cloud backup?

That’s the procedure.

But as I understood her junior, she shredded the digital copy.... as per her normal “protocol”

That’s the part that’s highly irregular. When you digitise it you shred the original, but then that goes to an off site backup. It sounds like the digital backup was shredded.

Edit:
https://www.afr.com/politics/premier-s-staff-destroyed-documents-used-to-green-light-rort-20201023-p567yn

quote:

Sarah Lau, one of Ms Berejiklian's senior policy advisers, said the working advice notes were used to rubber-stamp the projects, and paper copies were later shredded and digital copies deleted

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-23/gladys-berejiklian-approval-of-council-grants-shredded/12806962

quote:

Ms Lau said she prepared two working advice notes on which the Premier marked her approval of the grants.

She said she later destroyed the notes because she had sent an email recording the outcome.

"And how did you dispose of those working advice notes?" asked Labor MP John Graham.

"It's likely they would have been shredded," she replied.

The Premier's former chief of staff, Sarah Cruickshank, was asked whether it was routine practice in the Premier's office to destroy documents related to the spending of millions of dollars in public money.

"No, I would say it's not," she replied.

Into The Mild fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 24, 2020

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Bit late but didn't see any comments on it. ACT election tracker says no more seats in doubt, 90% counted:

ALP - 10 (-2)
LIB - 9 (-2)
Greens - 6 (+4)

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

She's on the correct side of politics so the media can't won't touch her.

The distinction is important.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Sulla Faex posted:

Bit late but didn't see any comments on it. ACT election tracker says no more seats in doubt, 90% counted:

ALP - 10 (-2)
LIB - 9 (-2)
Greens - 6 (+4)

Liberal Party profits from disastrous ALP result in Canberra elections

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sulla Faex posted:

ALP - 10 (-2)
LIB - 9 (-2)
Greens - 6 (+4)
Good to see that Greens result

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sulla Faex posted:

ALP - 10 (-2)
LIB - 9 (-2)
Greens - 6 (+4)

Wow, good on the greens

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

I really hope we see an election of any sort where the greens either come in second, or first.

I’ve voted green since I could start voting, and what I’ve seen is that year over year, they consistently get more and more votes.

I remember back in the 90’s where the greens couldn’t get a clear message across... they were anti nuclear, they were crazy feminists, they were eco terrorists.... it just seemed like a collection of a bunch of crazies, with issues that weren’t exactly always green issues, but the major parties wouldn’t touch them. I’m happy the greens got their poo poo together and focused the message.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It does help that Labor dropped the pretense of standing for anything at all.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

I really hope there’s a huge shift in politics soon. This is currently a bit of a joke.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Trip report from Cooper, Greens signs everywhere.

Odds on sportsbet are 5 to 1 but The Gap was a huge reason for forcing Graham Quirk to resign due to the failed Mt Cootha zip line proposal backfiring on the Brisbane City Council admin causing a huge NIMBY wave across The Gap and Ashgrove into Keppera.

LNP and ALP yard signs are minimal and Kate Jones retiring means Labor surrenders the incumbent advantage.

I think it's a seat to watch and a highly likely GRN gain.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

failed Mt Cootha zip line

haha i remember this

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

Sulla Faex posted:

ALP - 10 (-2)
LIB - 9 (-2)
Greens - 6 (+4)

One Greens member for every electorate in the ACT.

It's gonna be a good three years

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Whoah hell yeah

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

They'll blame literally everything on the greens next election.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Knobb Manwich posted:

This happens already in every government/local council, even when the greens have no influence there.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Knobb Manwich posted:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Queensland voters face a choice this week which will determine the standard of living in this state for decades: To re-elect a government which has spent five years asleep at the wheel of Queensland’s economy but now claims it is a saviour in the middle of a recession.

Or to trust an opposition that has laid out a broad, comprehensive plan for the state’s future, ideologically backs the industries which motor our economy, and insists it has learned from the missteps of its last time in office.

Labor has been determined to fight the October 31 poll squarely on its response to the COVID-19 pandemic and the resultant popularity of Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk. And well it might.

Narrowing the focus to just eight months of nearly six years in power camouflages just how lacklustre the government’s performance has been.

Leading one of the five states which suppressed the coronavirus, Ms Palaszczuk and her administration deserve credit for Queensland’s health response.

An effective contact tracing regimen prevented outbreaks taking hold here and spared us the type of second wave which has devastated Melbourne.

However, those achievements have been sullied by the shameless politicisation of border closures – imposing hard-hearted and unnecessary restrictions on ordinary people suffering illness or bereavement while giving starry-eyed favouritism toward sport and film stars.

A historic four-year term in power awaits next Saturday’s winner, whose momentous task will be to carry Queensland out of the economic carnage left behind when the tsunami of the COVID-19 health crisis recedes.

The policies and actions of the next government will determine how many Queenslanders keep their jobs, whether voters maintain their standard of living and how much debt will be left for the children of 2020 to pay back as adults.

Labor’s record in power is woeful.

Surprised to defeat Campbell Newman and claim office in 2015, the Palaszczuk government’s slow-moving first term was notable for myriad reviews, an expensive addiction to hiring public servants, and balance sheet gymnastics to maintain a pretence of reducing state debt.

Leading into and after its 2017 re-election, the influence of the party’s dominant Left faction steered the government into repeated ideological folly – at the expense of everyday Queenslanders.

The resources sector received the cold shoulder even though coal royalties keep the budget in the black, money was splashed on changing the name of a hospital and a debt-happy treasurer threw out any pretence of trying to balance the books long before the coronavirus struck.

The Premier showed her cynicism for voters and lack of leadership when it took the electorate’s brutal rejection of federal Labor to finally spark action to approve the job-generating Adani mine.

The inconvenient truth for Labor at this election is that Queensland’s economy was already staggering before COVID delivered a king hit. In January, as the virus began spreading out of Wuhan, the state already had an unemployment rate of 6.2 per cent and a debt projected to hit nearly $92bn, with Queensland languishing alongside South Australia as the nation’s economic laggards.

Despite all the spending on public servants, frontline services have buckled under Ms Palaszczuk; sick Queenslanders have suffered on ever-growing surgical waiting lists, children have been killed on the watch of child safety authorities, teenage crime is out of control in the regions and the performance of school kids has stagnated.

All the while the government has been distracted by repeated integrity scandals – including the demise of former treasurer Jackie Trad.

Now, while asking for a third term, Labor cowers under the cloak of COVID-19 to avoid any serious economic reform. It refused to release a third-term agenda until the election campaign and has presented an economic recovery plan which is simply short-term stimulus measures complemented by infrastructure pledges including the building of a second M1.

Queenslanders will vote on October 31 but will not find out the true state of our finances for another four weeks, because Labor delayed the budget until after polling day.

After preferring social issues such as abortion reform to heavy lifting on the economy during its two terms, the Premier has now made her key election priority passing euthanasia laws – in the middle of a recession.

There is no doubt Ms Palaszczuk is regarded with warmth by many Queenslanders. Her personal popularity, which increased during the COVID-19 period as she was perceived to be taking action, has been one of the government’s strengths.

But the lack of Labor achievements over its full period in office means its campaign has consisted of two themes only – claiming credit for the pandemic response and lazily using the ghost of Mr Newman to attack the LNP – years after he was thrown from office.

Tellingly, some of the more devastating criticism of the government comes not from the LNP or even the business community, but Labor heroes. Ex-premier Peter Beattie bemoaned Labor’s absence of ideas to boost the economy long term after his own suggestions were gracelessly slapped down by a tetchy Premier.

CFMEU powerbroker Michael Ravbar – a member of the party’s national executive – accused the Palaszczuk government of being too “focused on the inner-city elite” and “not actually governing for all of Queensland”.

And party strategist Cameron Milner warned only in August of a palpable sense of hubris among an administration expecting to coast to victory on the laurels of its COVID response.

Aside from assessing Labor’s record, voters must also decide whether Opposition Leader Deb Frecklington has presented a compelling case for the LNP to return to power after six years. Ms Frecklington’s period as leader has been marked by a struggle to cut through with voters.

This came to a head in June with the leaking of damaging internal polls – which ultimately led to party president Dave Hutchinson quitting his role.

While the party has been lacking in salesmanship, the agenda it takes to the election is of far more substance than the policies Labor has on the table.

The New Bradfield Scheme, part of a broader water security policy, and the duplication of more than 1600km of the Bruce Highway over the long-term, are genuinely transformative for the regions.

Ms Frecklington has nominated a target unemployment rate of 5 per cent, pledged to stabilise debt, will establish an Economic Recovery Agency and open up the Galilee Basin to $50bn worth of job-creating investment – supporting the resources sector which has for too long been treated by Labor as the leper of Queensland’s economy.

The party’s platform tackles the youth crime issue head on: While a youth curfew might be jarring to some in the relative comfort of southeast Queensland, it represents pragmatism and long-awaited action for residents of Cairns and Townsville who are victims of burglaries or who witness rampant crime on their streets. The party will also set up a child protection force as part of an overhaul to stop vulnerable children slipping through the cracks of Queensland’s failing systems.

While presenting a strong agenda, the party has erred in its decision to preference the Greens above Labor; increasing the chances of the fringe party having candidates elected in inner city seats including South Brisbane and McConnel. A minority government – particularly an unholy alliance of the Greens and Labor – would be a debacle for Queensland.
The state can ill-afford four more lost years.

As we emerge from COVID-19, Queenslanders need work – and not just public jobs created at great cost.

The debt we create now must be paid off by our children and grandchildren, who will make hard choices about how to pay for aged care, medical care and education.

Queensland needs genuine leadership and pragmatic solutions to get the economy running and help the community recover.

Opinion polls indicate the election result is likely to be incredibly close, and could be decided by handfuls of votes in several marginal seats.

This demonstrates that neither major party has yet entirely convinced Queens-landers they have an overwhelming case for election. However, on balance, The Sunday Mail believes Queensland would be better off over the next four years with Deb Frecklington and the LNP in office.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
hmm, so they’re saying you shouldn’t let the pandemic be used as an excuse to paper over the many failings of a multi-term government :thunk:

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Solemn Sloth posted:

hmm, so they’re saying you shouldn’t let the pandemic be used as an excuse to paper over the many failings of a multi-term government :thunk:

Only for ALP governments silly.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
They're still going on about the bradfield scheme in queensland?

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
yeah lol. labor announced a panel to determine whether any sort of bradfield-like scheme is at all feasible etc. a few months ago and its lnp policy to get the csiro to do a feasibility study on a particular version they've come up with that they're calling the "new bradfield scheme"

they've attempted to get to a more reasonable starting point than bradfield's original idea but it still sounds like a pipe dream really

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
It'll be amazing to see that the QLD LNP could lose despite one of the most aggressive media campaigns in their favour. Just mind blowing.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

lih posted:

yeah lol. labor announced a panel to determine whether any sort of bradfield-like scheme is at all feasible etc. a few months ago and its lnp policy to get the csiro to do a feasibility study on a particular version they've come up with that they're calling the "new bradfield scheme"

they've attempted to get to a more reasonable starting point than bradfield's original idea but it still sounds like a pipe dream really

Forgive my ignorance as I'm not a native Queenslander, but were there feasibility studies for the scheme initially? If so what we're the outcomes?

Curious if this is one of those Bullet Trains for Australia things.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Thursday: haha police want to use drones to monitor parks/backyards for grand final parties, what clowns
Friday: City terrified of new cluster that has potential to go wild
Monday: Andrews betrays city by not opening up (what cluster, what test results, it's fine)

Also if you find me frothing at the mouth, seizing on the floor, I may have come into contact with a statement from Greg Hunt. Do not attempt to remove the statement yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Zero cases in Vic today. Well folks, I think we've seen the last of this coronavirus! See you at the pub