Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Kaysette posted:

yeah this was my experience in AL. stunning strike and flurry of blows are great when you get them but i can't remember anything similarly powerful after level 5.

Diamond Soul at level 14 is pretty impressive. And it depends what your subclass is (the shadow monk L6 minor action teleport is great) - but they definitely sag after level 5. The other martial classes of course basically get nothing after L11 that they didn't get before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I like a lot of things monks can do but yeah they're a little meh after level 5. The ability to run on water and up vertical surfaces is always fun. The monk in our current party frequently is just like "how far is it? Oh I can get there in one round" which isn't game breaking but it is fun to be a speedy little fucker. I wish they had better attack progression though. Considering they do less damage than fighters just giving them full fighter extra attacks on top of flurry would be... Probably time consuming but they'd feel neat in that you can just live your fist of the north star life.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Kaysette posted:

yeah this was my experience in AL. stunning strike and flurry of blows are great when you get them but i can't remember anything similarly powerful after level 5.

this sounds dope and i really need to start watching D20. i love NADDPOD so i know i'd love it, too.

seconding the d20 rec, it’s extremely good and has excellent production value vis a vis sets and minis

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

D20 is good as a podcast as well, doesn't require that you watch it. My only nitpick is that Brennan is such a loving amazing DM it can feel unrealistic when you're used to normal humans playing this game

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Brennan and Matt make me feel so loving inadequate as a DM.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I guess the solution to that is "hey monks can use weapons too!*" but the class fantasy is getting literal fists of fire and punching people a bunch until they die.

*Like a few regular rear end weapons and a quarterstaff, woo-hoo

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

The Shame Boy posted:

I guess the solution to that is "hey monks can use weapons too!*" but the class fantasy is getting literal fists of fire and punching people a bunch until they die.

i mean there are more solutions, you can make magic gloves that function as weapons, you can have a sidequest where the monk travels into the memory of an ancient warrior and learns their secret technique by fighting them to give them a permanent boost as an epic boon, monk weapons are a given as you mentioned, you can make magic items for monks to double down on their mobility(make sure to make vertical sweeping levels for this to feel good though), etc.

Syrinxx posted:

D20 is good as a podcast as well, doesn't require that you watch it. My only nitpick is that Brennan is such a loving amazing DM it can feel unrealistic when you're used to normal humans playing this game

brennan lee mulligan is unreasonably good as a dm, even as a professional the gap between me and him seems almost insurmountable, but it gives me something to work towards at least

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

The Shame Boy posted:

Kensei monks exist, but they still face issues compared to other martials. Plus, yeah, taking weapons with the punchy class is a bit acting against type.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

The Shame Boy posted:

The rapier being a d8 finesse weapon is a sneaky buff to a whole lot of player types.

But narratively, a monk rocking a rapier is lame. Better to just clone rapier stats onto a monk-only bo staff or something.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

pog boyfriend posted:

brennan lee mulligan is unreasonably good as a dm, even as a professional the gap between me and him seems almost insurmountable, but it gives me something to work towards at least

Yeah, same. It's like what if Jack Black or Robin Williams was a professional DM. He's nuts.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Kaysette posted:

Stunning Strike is basically the only reason people think the Monk is OP.

Maybe some of the movement bullshit as well?

Stunning Strike is just an overall bas mechanic.

Stun in general is just an overall bad mechanic, though DMs should not get pissy about it. They're not there to do cool poo poo, they're there to enable to players to do cool poo poo.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Taeke posted:

Brennan and Matt make me feel so loving inadequate as a DM.

I'm going to assume you aren't a paid comedian or actor and you likely don't have any formal improv training. Of course there is a large gulf there, you shouldn't feel discouraged because that gulf is massive, they both have training you simply lack. If you really want to improve as a DM and it bothers you, see about taking an acting or improv class or two and maybe a creative writing class. Acting and improv won't just help you with DMing but also help when dealing with public speaking in general and the creative writing course will help you create a narratively satisfying world.

You also don't have a studio budget or editors or production staff behind your dnd session so some discrepancies will always be there

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 24, 2020

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
All this monk talk reminds me of my attempt, or at least one of them, at making a better Monk. Here is my Divine Fist. Which starts with 1d6 attacks, instead of 1d4, but the damage doesn't scale instead it scales in number of attacks. Regains 1 ki a round instead of all of it on a short rest. Unarmed Strikes count as magical at 2nd and eventually get +s like a magic weapon.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Glimm posted:

Anyone ever use a service like https://startplaying.games/? Thinking of getting a game going soon with a bunch of newbies (including myself - I played years and years ago but never DM'd).

Following up on this, I decided to just DM it myself. We wanted to run through the Rick & Morty adventure (that's the reason the other players wanted to try the game) and I felt like it would be too much of a crapshoot to hire someone, especially for this module.

The first session went pretty well! Spent ~4.5 hours and made it about 1/3 through the dungeon (learning as we went). It is pretty entertaining. I'm hoping if the group enjoys it (they seemed to have fun, they want to finish the rest of the game) we can continue into one of the regular prebuilt modules. DM'ing made me nervous but wasn't too bad - though keeping track of encounters was kinda tough.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Speaking of the monk, I was a bit surprised that while the fighter, rogue and sorcerer are getting psionic subclasses, the monk isnt despite being perfect for it. Just seems kinda weird.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

AnEdgelord posted:

Speaking of the monk, I was a bit surprised that while the fighter, rogue and sorcerer are getting psionic subclasses, the monk isnt despite being perfect for it. Just seems kinda weird.

One of the fundamentals of 5E design philosophy is that if something is cool and good, Monks can't have it.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Splicer posted:

For a while now I've been wanting to play an RPG where you accumulate points with basic attacks and spend them to launch your big attacks. As I type this I realise I'm describing rage in WoW.

There was a Wuxia role playing game called weapons of the gods where you rolled a number of d10s every time you used your Kung Fu. When you got matching dice you could float them in your "River" to add to a later roll instead of applying them to this roll. The result is a system that encourages you to use your Kung Fu for anything.

Why go through the door when you could use your Kung Fu to climb a drainpipe? The latter uses a Kung Fu roll. Why walk when you could wall run? The latter uses a Kung Fu roll.

It's an odd RPG but it succeeds at being thoroughly Kung Fu.

To capture that in DnD you could have it that every time they make an acrobatics check, if they roll higher than 10, they may instead take 10 on the roll and reserve the roll for a later attack roll or ability check but they can only store... Hmm... Two rolls this way?

Obviously you don't give this kind of power to a boring power gaming cheese lord who's just going to wake up after their long rest and hold everyone back for a few moments while they do front flips until they get a nat 20. You need people who get the spirit of this ability and who'll be cool about it.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 25, 2020

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hi friends! I wanted to post ITT because ironically quarantine has finally brought me a D&D group and we're playing and I'm enjoying the heck out of it. We're actually going to release it as a podcast though I'm not going to pimp it because A) we're in pre-release and B) that's not the point of this post, I'm actually just wanting to post about cool and good and fun D&D times/ideacrafting/general chat/whatever else ITT and C) the pod might end up sucking anyway so I don't wanna be that guy. :v:

I'm not a newbie to the rules thanks to both general nerdery/latent D&D understanding plus AP Pod listening over the last couple years (Sneak Attack will always be my personal fav, RIP; Reid The DM definitely deserves to be in the "unfairly good DM" conversation IMO) so I definitely gimped myself in our last encounter because I didn't take full advantage of my character's poo poo at all (he's a half-orc Barbarian) but the good news is I'm learning on the job as it were, our DM is pretty good about balancing difficulty with not just being a dick, and I prefer to learn by doing in situations like this anyway.

Anyway, not too much else to say right now, just wanted to introduce myself to the thread while it was on my mind so hi everybody!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

AnEdgelord posted:

My upcoming Avernus campaign is likely to have a Psion using Kibblestasty's homebrew class, which is like a Monk/Warlock hybrid, and I'm really excited to see it in action:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w_7uKy-byFED1fdDg62hDj-h0arleiuD/view

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Anyway, not too much else to say right now, just wanted to introduce myself to the thread while it was on my mind so hi everybody!

Glad you're having fun! Good luck with the podcast!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The Druid just dropped out of the campaign I DM and so the party is down to three -(archfey warlock 8/rogue 2, vengeance Paladin 8/hexblade 2, and BM fighter 5/War Wizard 5). How should I change encounters since they’ve lost their only full caster and healer? I’m running a homebrew campaign and building balanced encounters from scratch has always been a major problem for me in 5e, but I’d kind of gotten a feel for what the party was capable of-now that’s completely different.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The Druid just dropped out of the campaign I DM and so the party is down to three -(archfey warlock 8/rogue 2, vengeance Paladin 8/hexblade 2, and BM fighter 5/War Wizard 5). How should I change encounters since they’ve lost their only full caster and healer? I’m running a homebrew campaign and building balanced encounters from scratch has always been a major problem for me in 5e, but I’d kind of gotten a feel for what the party was capable of-now that’s completely different.

Just use a combat difficulty calculator and scale up or down after an encounter or two...you just have to get a new feel for what they can do, and nothing will really tell you other than a few fights

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

rather than encounter building(which you will balance to adjust primarily to having one less person for action economy rather than healing specifically), change your adventuring day structure so that the fights are sparser and more lethal. encounter damage should go up, encounter health should go down. this way fights can be more effectively blitzed while still providing a challenge. start dropping more health potions as rewards(at that level, humanoid enemies fought have a good reason to have health potions).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It occurs to me that "you can drink a potion as a bonus action instead of a full action" could be a decent ability to put on some equipment. Wouldn't even necessarily need to be magical; just make it a Camelbak or something :v:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It occurs to me that "you can drink a potion as a bonus action instead of a full action" could be a decent ability to put on some equipment. Wouldn't even necessarily need to be magical; just make it a Camelbak or something :v:

That and overhauling the ranger are things that BG3 smartly fixes. Would be nice if the stuff they changed (like making true strike last 2 turns) was added as some kind of optional ruleset.

MaskedHalfling
Feb 8, 2005

That cocksucking bear killed Jack Kennedy.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I had a travelling gnome potion merchant sell my players this item.
https://imgur.com/a/0MVQEq1

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

is there any real (balancing) reason for rangers to not have prepared spells instead of known spells? it seems like rear end that the ranger spell list is as restricted as sorcerer without any of the cool metamagic features

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

Declan MacManus posted:

is there any real (balancing) reason for rangers to not have prepared spells instead of known spells? it seems like rear end that the ranger spell list is as restricted as sorcerer without any of the cool metamagic features

I had never considered this change but I like it.

change my name posted:

That and overhauling the ranger are things that BG3 smartly fixes. Would be nice if the stuff they changed (like making true strike last 2 turns) was added as some kind of optional ruleset.

You mean as an official optional rule? What's stopping you from just bringing it in as a house rule? I think 'drink yourself as a bonus action, pour down someone else's throat as an action' is a pretty common house rule. The other changes sound good too.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Declan MacManus posted:

Thematically, I think prepared spells suit the Ranger better from a lot of angles. Their casting is compared to Druidic (i.e. prepared) magic in the class writeup itself, and it matches the tone of Rangers - the class of hunters, trappers, etc - to pragmatically choose the proper tools for the day's quarry.

I don't know why it would be unbalaced. Paladins also learn spells at level 2, prepare instead of knowing a limited selection, and are a stronger class to begin with.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Without even thinking about it or asking, I’ve played my side campaign ranger as prepared spells vs known the whole time.

The broken part isn’t the spells it’s my gimmick crossbow expert gloomstalker build in a campaign setting where ambushes and stakeouts always come naturally.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I've made a few changes to this beast.

1. Mizzen (aft) Mast.
2. Main Mast.
3. Crow's Nest.
4. Fore Mast.
---
5. Sterncastle.
6. Forecastle.
7. Wardroom.
8. Officers' Cabins and Cockpit.
9. Main Deck.
10. Guardhouse.
11. Bowsprit and Figurehead.
12. Stairs to Captain's Quarters.
13. First Mate's Chamber.
---
14. Captain's Quarters.
15. Armory.
16. Gundeck.
17. Galley (Kitchen).
---
18. Captain's Private Storage.
19. Beer Storage.
20. Magazine (gunpowder storage).
21. Orlop Deck (spare sails, spare rope, large oars & benches for rowing).
22. Supplies and Workshop.
---
23. Ship's Hold.

Other Features

Cannonballs

There are several stacks of cannonballs each containing 26 balls. Each cannonball weighs 32lbs and is 6 inches in diameter.

Chests.

The following 4 chests each contain 10 muskets: Chest under the stairs in the Cockpit; both chests in the armory; the chest in the guardhouse.

The chest near the mainsail on the main deck contains a multitude of flags which can be hoisted on the mainsail to deceive foes.

The chest in the captain's storage area contains suitable wealth.

The chest in the store room is filled with carpenters tools which can also be used as an unlimited healers kit to heal crew members.

Barricades

The double doors into the cockpit, the double doors into the guard house and the door into the armory each have a plank of wood on the wall next to them. This plank can be fed through rungs in the door(s) to barricade them. The crew are told this is to hold back attempts to board the vessel, but this strategy can also be deployed against rebellions/mutiny attempts.

Layabouts' Lounge

In the prow of the ship's hold, some empty powder kegs and an empty barrel have been turned into a place to lay about when you're supposed to be watching the hold.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 26, 2020

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Man, taming polar bears in Frostmaiden is cool until you realize that uhhhh, no you can't really bring them into the towns and they eat a ton. I ended up letting the pair go that I charmed after they helped us haul some stuff (but kept the mountain goat)

change my name fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 26, 2020

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

change my name posted:

Man, taming polar bears in Frostmaiden is cool until you realize that uhhhh, no you can't really bring them into the towns and they eat a ton. I ended up letting the pair go that I charmed after they helped us haul some stuff (but kept the mountain goat)

This is pretty minor I'll grant you, but can we spoiler tag Frostmaiden stuff please?

Flea Bargain fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 26, 2020

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yeah sorry, I kept it as vague as possible intentionally but will definitely be aware

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
You should indicate what it's spoilers for so people know what they're risking. A completely spoilered post with no context is gonna get clicked on by people who want to avoid spoilers.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Megazver posted:

Glad you're having fun! Good luck with the podcast!

Thanks friend! FWIW I'm playing a half-orc Barbarian named Thrugg who's basically like if you stuck Andrew WK, Hulk Hogan, and Matthew McConaghuey (and a murder machine I suppose) in a blender. He is definitely the most "extra" character of the young campaign so far but I'm fine with that and I know my fellow cast loves my portrayal so hopefully that extends to listeners (assuming we get any). :3:

Question for the DMs in the group: I have it established that MC has Brewer's Tools and makes his own hooch. My DM is fine with it, and it's actually come into play once with a Medicine check already (which owns IMO) but I was also planning on having him occasionally try to sell some for some extra gold here and there. Have any DMs ITT ever had an artisan type PC who sold their wares? How did you handle it?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Tonight I ran an encounter with a Flutterflesh from the Tome of Beasts. It has an attack which severs a limb if it crits - first attack against the fighter... boom, crit. Her arm falls to the floor but the next turn the Flutterflesh got blinded so I said it was unable to find the arm to absorb it. After combat, the party is trying to figure out how what to do about this fighter's detached arm - so they attempt to combine a potion of greater restoration they'd just received from an NPC alchemist, a 6th level casting of Cure Wounds, and a Divine Intervention the Cleric made to appeal to Torm. The cleric rolls a 69 on the dice and 5 players say "noice" at the same time and we all crack up. Of course, I had to grant it to them and the fighter got their arm back, although they could not use offhand attacks for the remainder of the session.

This game is pretty rad sometimes

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Oct 26, 2020

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Flea Bargain posted:

This is pretty minor I'll grant you, but can we spoiler tag Frostmaiden stuff please?

I love how basically every time someone on this website complains about untagged spoilers, they make sure to quote the post they're unhappy with and leave the spoilers in the quote untagged.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Thanks friend! FWIW I'm playing a half-orc Barbarian named Thrugg who's basically like if you stuck Andrew WK, Hulk Hogan, and Matthew McConaghuey (and a murder machine I suppose) in a blender. He is definitely the most "extra" character of the young campaign so far but I'm fine with that and I know my fellow cast loves my portrayal so hopefully that extends to listeners (assuming we get any). :3:

Question for the DMs in the group: I have it established that MC has Brewer's Tools and makes his own hooch. My DM is fine with it, and it's actually come into play once with a Medicine check already (which owns IMO) but I was also planning on having him occasionally try to sell some for some extra gold here and there. Have any DMs ITT ever had an artisan type PC who sold their wares? How did you handle it?

the best crafting supplement is witch+craft if you get really into crafting btw. this happens a lot, but medicine is a weird skill for this though, i would just use the tool proficiency for the skill check, with either int or wisdom as an ability. for the actual sales i would have prices set by the market of the area and slide it up or down based off any charisma check to try to sell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Reveilled posted:

I love how basically every time someone on this website complains about untagged spoilers, they make sure to quote the post they're unhappy with and leave the spoilers in the quote untagged.

I don't think the fact that there are polar bears in Frostmaiden is even really a spoiler