Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Yeah but engravings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

FCKGW posted:

I mean Best Buy has them for shipping by Tuesday right now if you don’t want to wait several weeks.

Apple retail has worse stock and longer shipping times on new products at launch from what I’ve seen.

this was mostly what i meant, bbuy does curbside and has product.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

FCKGW posted:

I mean Best Buy has them for shipping by Tuesday right now if you don’t want to wait several weeks.

Apple retail has worse stock and longer shipping times on new products at launch from what I’ve seen.

this was mostly what i meant, bbuy does curbside and has product.

The General posted:

Yeah but engravings.

i’ll engrave for free anyones ipad but only if a sub forum gets to pick what gets engraved

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The General posted:

Yeah but engravings.

This too

drw
Aug 26, 2020

There can be no justice, so long as laws are absolute. Even life itself is an exercise in exceptions.

So I am thinking about upgrading a 2019 regular iPad 6th gen to a 2017 iPad Pro. Anyone own a 2017 pro? Can you tell me if I will be upgrading or downgrading?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

drw posted:

So I am thinking about upgrading a 2019 regular iPad 6th gen to a 2017 iPad Pro. Anyone own a 2017 pro? Can you tell me if I will be upgrading or downgrading?

I have the large Pro 2017 and my partner had one until last year. They’re still awesome devices that are much superior spec-wise to the standard iPad, but they tend to develop a significant display bleed overtime and on both devices the touchscreen has occasional blackouts for a few seconds, so make sure that’s not an issue with your device.

drw
Aug 26, 2020

There can be no justice, so long as laws are absolute. Even life itself is an exercise in exceptions.

Honj Steak posted:

I have the large Pro 2017 and my partner had one until last year. They’re still awesome devices that are much superior spec-wise to the standard iPad, but they tend to develop a significant display bleed overtime and on both devices the touchscreen has occasional blackouts for a few seconds, so make sure that’s not an issue with your device.

Hey thanks for the info. The prices are pretty good right now, but I will probably wait for the black friday anyway. Not sure if the discounts affect older models at all but I will find out in a month.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So someone made a custom web browser app based on Webkit, that uses the GameController APIs for connecting to wireless controllers, and thus allowed people to use Stadia on iOS/iPadOS devices. Apple even initially allowed it into the app store. Then it suddenly got banned, because hooking Webkit into the GameController API isn't usage as intended.

I guess we won't be seeing XCloud and Geforce Now anytime soon, at least in an usable manner.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

don't they also have arbitrary rules they selectively enforce about third party apps for other services?

microsoft has flat out said they're bringing xcloud to ios in a web browser so i'm not convinced they'll have an issue.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Coming from a 2017 pro (120hz screen). Is the new pro a nice bump from that one or is it pretty much the same? I do a lot of reading, web browsing, and photo editing.

I’m also curious if you guys bother with the LTE. Is there any reason to purchase an LTE version if your 5G phone has a hotspot? Always seemed redundant to me.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I didn’t and mildly regret it. It’s for sure a luxury but useful for the gps chip imo.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
My impulsive rear end bought a 12.9 pro and magic keyboard. What is thread consensus on an actual case to use with it?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I love the ipad pros speakers and spend most of my time watching tv and smoking weed outside.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

beergod posted:

My impulsive rear end bought a 12.9 pro and magic keyboard. What is thread consensus on an actual case to use with it?

No idea on a case but I have the same iPad setup and it rules.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

beergod posted:

Coming from a 2017 pro (120hz screen). Is the new pro a nice bump from that one or is it pretty much the same? I do a lot of reading, web browsing, and photo editing.

I’m also curious if you guys bother with the LTE. Is there any reason to purchase an LTE version if your 5G phone has a hotspot? Always seemed redundant to me.

I'm guessing you don't currently have an LTE iPad? I consider it well worth it if only for convenience, but I'm grandfathered into an apparently highly coveted $20 a month unlimited iPad LTE plan. Mainly I like it because I (Well, pre-COVID) take my iPad to work every day and that's my device on my personal network connection. Not that I am doing anything on it at work that I would do on my work desktop, but I like that my personal data stays on my personal connection as a seamless devices on my desk.

Plus last time a had Federal jury duty they made me surrender my iPhone and I was like, um, do you want my iPad too? It has LTE and the guy rolled his eyes at me and acted like an idiot for asking so I was surfing the internet and sending texts while everyone else looked loving bored out of their minds for hours.

Basically, it comes in handy, I wouldn't pay $50 a month for it, but for $20 I am more than happy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I’m very happy with my LTE iPad and am definitely getting my next one with it.

iOS does connect better to iPhone hotspots now though. It’s much more automatic.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
God why can’t I split screen zoom so I can multitask during these insufferable zoom meetings

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The only thing stopping me from getting a cellular enabled iPad is the god awful data pricing in the UK, I’d rather just tether my phone but the likelihood of taking my iPad out of the house (even pre-covid) is very low.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

beergod posted:

God why can’t I split screen zoom so I can multitask during these insufferable zoom meetings

The rationale is that iOS disables cameras when an app isn't using the full screen to prevent one from secretly using your camera in the background or without you being aware.

Yes, there's better implementations they could implement, but at least that's the logic.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Have any if you gone from the 11” iPad Pro to the 12.9? I love the 11 but it’s a little too cramped to be a proper laptop replacement (I don’t think I do fancy stuff where I will need an actual laptop). However, I’m a bit worried that the 12.9 is too big to work as a tablet if that makes sense. Also, if it’s a sensible switch: Is there any point in getting a 2020 instead of a 2018? From what I’ve read it doesn’t seem like it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Xabi posted:

Have any if you gone from the 11” iPad Pro to the 12.9? I love the 11 but it’s a little too cramped to be a proper laptop replacement (I don’t think I do fancy stuff where I will need an actual laptop). However, I’m a bit worried that the 12.9 is too big to work as a tablet if that makes sense. Also, if it’s a sensible switch: Is there any point in getting a 2020 instead of a 2018? From what I’ve read it doesn’t seem like it.

i still use my first gen 12.9 every day. it's not the question you asked but given that the current ones are quite a bit physically smaller, well.

we do have an older air that i use in bed for reading, though for the majority of tasks, i prefer the bigger tablet.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
How advanced is the usb c interface on the pro? Can I for example stick a thumb drive in there and transfer files on and off my iPad? Can I watch a movie file stored on it? Etc

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mediaphage posted:

i still use my first gen 12.9 every day. it's not the question you asked but given that the current ones are quite a bit physically smaller, well.

we do have an older air that i use in bed for reading, though for the majority of tasks, i prefer the bigger tablet.

Yeah I’ll never go back to the smaller iPad at this point. The 12.9 is perfect for me.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I’ll never go back to the smaller iPad at this point. The 12.9 is perfect for me.

honestly if i were rich, id buy all the ipads because i think each size is good for various tasks

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

mediaphage posted:

honestly if i were rich, id buy all the ipads because i think each size is good for various tasks

At minimum I’d have a big Pro and a Mini. Maybe ~2-3 Airs only for running music apps and VSTs.

As things are just an iPad Classic for me :toot:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

beergod posted:

How advanced is the usb c interface on the pro? Can I for example stick a thumb drive in there and transfer files on and off my iPad? Can I watch a movie file stored on it? Etc

Yes, using the Files app, and yes if you're using an appropriate player like VLC.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

If they made a Mini Pro I’d buy it. This goes for both the iPad and the iPhone now.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If we could get a 5" ipad with USB-C, we'd have bought that instead

Instead I'm stuck buying a macbook air sized tablet

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

MarcusSA posted:

As somebody moving from the Air 2 to the iPad Air 4, my first thought was "wow, this screen is huge!" I can't imagine using the 12.9" Pro.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I'm a little shocked the 12.9 is so popular here. I move my 10.5 around all the time and think it's right on the edge of being too big for that. Even bought a mini to read with and browse the web because it's easier to one hand.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
the built-in kickstand that Microsoft came up for the Surface would be so useful for the iPad, it sucks how Apple has 'not invented here' syndrome

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Virtue posted:

I'm a little shocked the 12.9 is so popular here. I move my 10.5 around all the time and think it's right on the edge of being too big for that. Even bought a mini to read with and browse the web because it's easier to one hand.

Isn’t the 12.9 similar in total size to the 10.5 ? I have the 10.5 , love it, but have been tempted to get a 12.9 because it’s the same but edge to edge.

Plus my 10.5 pro is down to 93% battery (thanks to whomever here recommend I call and have Apple test over the phone), so it isn’t bad, but the battery is noticeably down for sure. But, I’m not exactly ready to spend $1,000 (yet) when my iPad is literally just for web browsing , and I think I’m gonna try and convince myself to wait for the next version which will likely get 5G (I get the cellular version).

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

Isn’t the 12.9 similar in total size to the 10.5 ? I have the 10.5 , love it, but have been tempted to get a 12.9 because it’s the same but edge to edge.

Plus my 10.5 pro is down to 93% battery (thanks to whomever here recommend I call and have Apple test over the phone), so it isn’t bad, but the battery is noticeably down for sure. But, I’m not exactly ready to spend $1,000 (yet) when my iPad is literally just for web browsing , and I think I’m gonna try and convince myself to wait for the next version which will likely get 5G (I get the cellular version).

The 12.9 is quite a bit bigger https://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Apple-iPad-Pro-12.9-inch-2020,Apple-iPad-Pro-10.5-inch/phones/11312,10561

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

shrike82 posted:

the built-in kickstand that Microsoft came up for the Surface would be so useful for the iPad, it sucks how Apple has 'not invented here' syndrome

personally I don’t want this since it’s easy enough to set in a stand or case. I will say I smacked the big tablet around enough that I won’t go naked for it again as long as I can find a light enough case.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
None of Apple’s cases let you angle the iPad Pro for writing which is a big shortcoming imo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

shrike82 posted:

None of Apple’s cases let you angle the iPad Pro for writing which is a big shortcoming imo

??

how do you manage to write in a paper notebook without the proper angle

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
The iPad Pro 12.9 with the new Magic Keyboard and iPad Pencil loving owns. It out classes everything comparable. I am very happy with it. I wish we got “full versions” of stuff like the Surface does but it is just such a better, faster system.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

beergod posted:

The iPad Pro 12.9 with the new Magic Keyboard and iPad Pencil loving owns. It out classes everything comparable. I am very happy with it. I wish we got “full versions” of stuff like the Surface does but it is just such a better, faster system.

I just got the same set up a couple weeks ago. It's really awesome, but drat it was expensive. It's taking some time for me to get used to using it as a laptop, but for tablet stuff it's amazing. The size is great for reading comics.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mediaphage posted:

the mail-in repair service is extremely fast imo. i've sent stuff in from canada (goes to the same place in the us) on a weds or thurs and had it back on like monday.

I didn't realize they overnighted everything. Ordered a mail in box for my iPad thinking it'd arrive sometime after my vacation, but it arrived the day I left and sat on my porch for 4 days. Thankfully it didn't rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Virtue posted:

It took me a little bit to get used to the size and also get a better case with a soft touch all around the screen backing instead the plastic shell that most people are using. I like that it is is a size that you can actually functionally use as a laptop replacement. For the first time I actually enjoy casually surfing the real web on it then preferring some mobile optimized app.

But I'm not highly mobile, I mainly wanted something for the bed/sofa/kitchen/desk to replace my MacBook Air, I don't go to may offsite meetings or classes or anything.