Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Der Shovel posted:

They SAY it's halfling skeletons, but they are awfully scrunty.

Also I want them.

E:

Halfling Wraith Lord

You could easily repaint those heads as pumpkins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Der Shovel posted:

They SAY it's halfling skeletons, but they are awfully scrunty.

Also I want them.

E:

Halfling Wraith Lord

the cutest skellingtons

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The Moon Monster posted:

I was GISing "mage knight miniatures" to see how these stacked up and found this thing, which owns pretty hard.

Big Scooby Doo villain energy. Hell, I'd play D&D (dungeons & doobies).

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The only good thing to come out of 2020.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I feel like I'm at the point with painting where I'm pretty much past thinking "how is that even possible" when I look at some awesome mini. Even if it's way past my skill/effort level I can envision how it was painted without much trouble. But then I find Richard Gray's twitter account and I just don't know man. Dude makes warhams look like 75mm models.

https://twitter.com/Daemonrich/status/1203082266525745152

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Brock Samsonite posted:

Tits out for whatever
Soiler for NSFW

Original:

What's the unpainted figure look like?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Shin Coooooooookieeeeeeee

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
why is grover the tail?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
im not sure if thats a tail

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

The Moon Monster posted:

I was GISing "mage knight miniatures" to see how these stacked up and found this thing, which owns pretty hard.

One arm covered in lube, the other wielding a great floppy double-ended dildo. A mini for the FATAL table top game, I see.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

A thought. This is a Kickstarter for D&D characters with a pretty big range of characters.

Why would you want duplicates in the first place? Do you really need two bartenders cleaning glasses?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
How else will you accurately populate your large tavern map so that you can work out exactly how many civilians that player murders when their wizard responds to a bar fight with an enlarged fireball?

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Ugleb posted:

A thought. This is a Kickstarter for D&D characters with a pretty big range of characters.

Why would you want duplicates in the first place? Do you really need two bartenders cleaning glasses?

Maybe you’re trying to recreate the giant club/bar fight from the first season of Fantasy High.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Knobb Manwich posted:

Big Scooby Doo villain energy. Hell, I'd play D&D (dungeons & doobies).

Uh, Doobie's was a dungeon

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

The Moon Monster posted:

I feel like I'm at the point with painting where I'm pretty much past thinking "how is that even possible" when I look at some awesome mini. Even if it's way past my skill/effort level I can envision how it was painted without much trouble. But then I find Richard Gray's twitter account and I just don't know man. Dude makes warhams look like 75mm models.

https://twitter.com/Daemonrich/status/1203082266525745152

Wow.

That is beyond amazing.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

I'm going to miss this Kickstarter.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
There probably is a market for a plastic set of generic commoners, like a wargame set where everything is interchangeable.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Having NPC minis is very useful, Nolzur's has a couple of sets of people who aren't obviously armed, or who are armed but not ready to fight. They don't even have to be particularly good looking to help sell a scene.

They're one of those things I'd never go out of my way to buy but have been 3D printing in between runs of other, more interesting things. If I did buy some townsfolk I'd want them to be super cheap since they're just set dressing and I don't care if they look amazing, pre-painted's a plus. I could see a market for that product. They're not trying to hide the fact that the models are cheap and lack detail, and if all you're wanting is a little set dressing or an NPC to rescue or a doppleganger I could see those working just fine.

It's preferable to every non-hostile NPC just being PC minis the party didn't pick.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 23, 2020

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Yeah but Reaper Bones has a bunch of townsfolk that are cheap and don’t look like 90s mannequins.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Nebalebadingdong posted:

why is grover the tail?

Referencing the weird human skeletons crawling out of the end of Godzilla's tail in Shin Godzilla

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah but Reaper Bones has a bunch of townsfolk that are cheap and don’t look like 90s mannequins.

So does Nolzurs and the pathfinder line, but they're not pre-painted. These are clearly marketed towards people who aren't skilled or experienced or brave enough to try painting minis themselves but still want to own minis. These are fine if the goal isn't "have lots of nice, well-painted, interesting minis" but is instead just "have lots of minis."

They're ugly as hell and I wouldn't want to own them, but I can understand the market niche.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

I honestly think some printed cutouts on stands would look better than those, and would cost a lot less.

Edit: for example, this looks great:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I honestly think some printed cutouts on stands would look better than those, and would cost a lot less.

Edit: for example, this looks great:

People like consistency, and though they might not be the same style as other minis on the board, it does add to the verisimilitude to have a whole scene built out with 3D minis.

Just picturing it in my head I would personally hate having all these cool player minis and then a couple paper standees, it just doesn't have the same feel when they're combined in that way. I do the same thing with paper tokens and player minis (back when I played in person) and it's good for getting the point across but it's just not as fun or cool to look at. For that reason I can see people buying very ultra-basic minis that have the profile of certain archetypes (innkeepers, blacksmiths, etc), but I would only go for them if they were much cheaper than what I can find online. Amazon in particular has bundles of basic-looking minis for a pretty good deal if you go by price per model, with similar details to the ones shown in that kickstarter.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 23, 2020

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

People like consistency, and though they might not be the same style as other minis on the board, it does add to the verisimilitude to have a whole scene built out with 3D minis.

Just picturing it in my head I would personally hate having all these cool player minis and then a couple paper standees, it just doesn't have the same feel when they're combined in that way. I do the same thing with paper tokens and player minis (back when I played in person) and it's good for getting the point across but it's just not as fun or cool to look at. For that reason I can see people buying very ultra-basic minis that have the profile of certain archetypes (innkeepers, blacksmiths, etc), but I would only go for them if they were much cheaper than what I can find online. Amazon in particular has bundles of basic-looking minis for a pretty good deal if you go by price per model, with similar details to the ones shown in that kickstarter.

Thats fair, I just like the idea of having stunning cutouts that you can print as you need, instead of having to buy a bunch of low-quality minis in advance. But it all comes down to personal taste.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I used to use whatever random junk was at hand along with scrawls on a wipe clean mat.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

goatface posted:

I used to use whatever random junk was at hand along with scrawls on a wipe clean mat.

But that's not fun to look at! Honestly there's something special about the look on people's faces (particularly people who aren't really involved in miniature games) when you set up a scene with a ton of painted minis.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Eh, I'm not a visual person.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

I haven't played with minis or a board in over five years. At best I have a dry-erase tablet that I can quickly scribble a layout of the room they're in if they need a bit more than a description.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I love this buttplug demon with bright red dildo and unpainted head

this guy is just a mispainted Wayne

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Ugleb posted:

I'm going to miss this Kickstarter.

Is it just me or is the one on the right stabbing itself in the neck to end its suffering?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Some friends and I are throwing in on a resin 3d printer. I'm planning to 3d print organizers for various boardgames I have but they're planning to 3d print entire miniature game armies.

I will post results when that happens because I'm sure they'll be bad

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Zark the Damned posted:

Is it just me or is the one on the right stabbing itself in the neck to end its suffering?

He's just playing that horn through his tracheotomy, don't stare

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Zark the Damned posted:

quite the opposite, really, the self-trach is only performed by those with a strong will to live

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

quite the opposite, really, the self-trach is only performed by those with a strong will to live

Ok Jigsaw.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Len posted:

Some friends and I are throwing in on a resin 3d printer. I'm planning to 3d print organizers for various boardgames I have but they're planning to 3d print entire miniature game armies.

I will post results when that happens because I'm sure they'll be bad

resin printers can produce reaaaaaaally good minis, so they'll probably be good as long as they know what they're doing in the printing process

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I've been looking around at things to print when it comes in and found this guy

I'm trying to get them to understand it's a terrible idea to try and 3d print a 40k army and still failing

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Len posted:

I've been looking around at things to print when it comes in and found this guy

I'm trying to get them to understand it's a terrible idea to try and 3d print a 40k army and still failing

Now that is the opposite of a bad idea :)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

lilljonas posted:

Now that is the opposite of a bad idea :)

I'm not on board with pirating a 40k army because unless it's mechanically a different game than it was in 2010 I didn't enjoy how it played. But I'm all about goofy and weird minis. I can print them and say "oh I'll start learning to paint" and never doing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Len posted:

I'm not on board with pirating a 40k army because unless it's mechanically a different game than it was in 2010 I didn't enjoy how it played. But I'm all about goofy and weird minis. I can print them and say "oh I'll start learning to paint" and never doing that

Unless you have a surfeit of time and are somehow working a minimum wage job (an unlikely combination) just buying the miniatures from GW will probably work out easier and cheaper.

3D is fantastic for bespoke or unusual stuff which no one wants to put into production.