Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

LODGE NORTH posted:

I just got a new (to me) car recently, and just wanna chime in that CarPlay is actively cool as hell.

It is great. My 2020 RAV 4 does Android Auto and Carplay but with a cable. Hoping there will be an update to support wireless soon. Especially given there's a wireless charging pad.

My question for this thread is, has anyone gone from a Pixel 3/4 to the iPhone 12? Thinking of going back to Apple having used Pixel phones for years. My last iPhone was the iPhone 4.

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Oct 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Fly Ricky posted:

So if I have mp3s on my phone I didn’t rip (I’m sure there must be some in there), what happens when I try to restore? Should I just dump all the music off the phone before backup, or is it something I can just wait out...

I have never had music transfer as part of any backup I have ever done.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

So does AmazonBasics but I went with the Monoprice AtlasFlex. Same price and shipping/RMA is more of a pain but the strain relief looks a bit better.

I did not realize AmazonBasics had a lifetime warranty. Good to know.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Halo14 posted:

It is great. My 2020 RAV 4 does Android Auto and Carplay but with a cable. Hoping there will be an update to support wireless soon. Especially given there's a wireless charging pad.

My question for this thread is, has anyone gone from a Pixel 3/4 to the iPhone 12? Thinking of going back to Apple having used Pixel phones for years. My last iPhone was the iPhone 4.

I had the pixel 3 XL and went to a 12 pro mainly because I’ve been thinking about an Apple Watch and android watches are trash.

It’s certainly an adjustment but I love it so far. I’m really impressed how well the iOS and watchOS ecosystems play together. Everything feels really quick and snappy.

I do miss fingerprint unlock just for the convenience sake but I’ll get over it. I will say as a pc user the lack of iMessage over web is probably going to annoy the poo poo out of me since I did most of my texting via the computer

vyst fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 25, 2020

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Rick posted:

Yeah unfortunately most Home issues seem to just resolve themselves after a while which I guess is better than them not resolving themselves but not helpful in knowing how to fix them.

Honestly its probably as likely an issue with my home network setup as it was with the phone-to-phone transfer messing it up.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

On Call at work stopped today so I was finally able to migrate over to my new 12 Pro.

It was the most painless setup yet. I did phone-to-phone transfer and it took about 15 minutes. With the forced reboot probably 17 minutes or so total to be up and running with all my apps. Still had to do recovery on some of my MFA apps for work, but that was expected.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

vyst posted:

I will say as a pc user the lack of iMessage over web is probably going to annoy the poo poo out of me since I did most of my texting via the computer

Sounds like you have no choice but to buy a Mac!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Laserface posted:

I have never had music transfer as part of any backup I have ever done.

The phone to phone setup feature copies music

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

vote_no posted:

I've seriously considered running MacOS in a VM for iMessage alone. During the work day id love to be able to chat on the desktop.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

vote_no posted:

All Apple faults can be solved by buying another Apple product. Funny how that worked out.

I hadn't yet paired my Apple Watch with my new phone and I got all excited upon opening the app at all the watch faces I hadn't seen before. Pair my series 3 and all of them are gone. loving Apple. Some watch faces need the extra screen size, but most of the new ones don't. They just limit them to newer watches.

I really wanted that typography face, dammit.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Speaking of watches, I wonder if the Series 6 box is still that massive wasteful long box if they're focusing on being more environmentally friendly.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
It’s a just little flatter because it has no charger, but not quite as pronounced as with the phone box.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I got the Pacific Blue 12 Pro and it's pretty cool. Not a big upgrade over the 11 Pro but I buy a new one every year anyway and pass the old one on to the wife. Phone feels better in hand, especially with the Apple silicon case.

The magsafe charger is neat but at the end of the day you're still connected by wire so not really a game changer. I wish they had one with a 6' cord because it's just a little too short to still be useful on the nightstand.

Pictures are about the same as the 11 Pro, camera opens and switches modes a little faster which is good for trying to quickly capture my daughter doing something funny. Battery life is TBD but so far seems worse than the 11. Doesn't matter since I never get below 50% anyway.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

I got the Pacific Blue 12 Pro and it's pretty cool. Not a big upgrade over the 11 Pro but I buy a new one every year anyway and pass the old one on to the wife. Phone feels better in hand, especially with the Apple silicon case.

The magsafe charger is neat but at the end of the day you're still connected by wire so not really a game changer. I wish they had one with a 6' cord because it's just a little too short to still be useful on the nightstand.

Pictures are about the same as the 11 Pro, camera opens and switches modes a little faster which is good for trying to quickly capture my daughter doing something funny. Battery life is TBD but so far seems worse than the 11. Doesn't matter since I never get below 50% anyway.

The first few days are going to be terrible for battery life. It usually takes that long to do a background (re)indexing of everything on the phone. You should see better performance by next week.

At least that's what I'm telling myself :)

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
True. I got the 512gb because I was at 248/256 on the 11. That's a lot of photos and videos to index

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
The move from 8 to 12 is very nice.

The clear MagSafe case is pretty sturdy. I’ll probably switch to leather once it comes out.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

sonatinas posted:

The move from 8 to 12 is very nice.

The clear MagSafe case is pretty sturdy. I’ll probably switch to leather once it comes out.

I'm going to wait and see. Apple released an advisory that the MagSafe would leave an indented ring in the leather cases.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211829

(it's at the bottom in small print)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Leather cases are designed to be beaten. Every scratch, smudge, and wear tells a tale.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Leather cases are designed to be beaten. Every scratch, smudge, and wear tells a tale.

A patina, if you will.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
My new iPhone came with a free year of Apple TV. I figured I watch some, on my PC. What a loving terrible browser interface.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

My new iPhone came with a free year of Apple TV. I figured I watch some, on my PC. What a loving terrible browser interface.

Did you miss the part where every Apple fault is solved by buying more Apple stuff? Just get an Apple TV.

Actually the interface isn't great there either. But don't let that stop you from watching some Ted Lasso.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Did you miss the part where every Apple fault is solved by buying more Apple stuff? Just get an Apple TV.

Actually the interface isn't great there either. But don't let that stop you from watching some Ted Lasso.

drat straight. Ted Lasso is the warm hug of a tv show America needs right now.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is it worth $65 CAD to replace my battery that's at 86% and says "Service" on my 8? I used the 12 Pro for a day and then went back to the 8 and I don't feel like I'm missing a lot, so now I'm just wondering if I should try to get another year out of it. But right now the battery life is pretty poo poo. I've never done a battery replacement before so I'm not sure what to expect in terms of improvement.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

prom candy posted:

Is it worth $65 CAD to replace my battery that's at 86% and says "Service" on my 8? I used the 12 Pro for a day and then went back to the 8 and I don't feel like I'm missing a lot, so now I'm just wondering if I should try to get another year out of it. But right now the battery life is pretty poo poo. I've never done a battery replacement before so I'm not sure what to expect in terms of improvement.

86% isn't super dead, so unless it's shutting down by itself, you'll see a modest improvement.

Expect an hour more or so of active use.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

Is it worth $65 CAD to replace my battery that's at 86% and says "Service" on my 8? I used the 12 Pro for a day and then went back to the 8 and I don't feel like I'm missing a lot, so now I'm just wondering if I should try to get another year out of it. But right now the battery is pretty poo poo.

If you're going to keep your phone for another year then yes it's worth it. I replaced the battery in my X about 5 months ago because it was getting really bad. Maybe not a great idea for me, as I'm now trading it in with 100% battery life - but bonus for the next owner I guess.

Also comparing an iPhone 12 Pro and an iPhone X is no contest battery wise. Even with both at 100% health I'm seeing significantly better battery life on the new phone. It's not the dynamo powerplant that is the iPhone 11, but it's better than everything before that point.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

endlessmonotony posted:

86% isn't super dead, so unless it's shutting down by itself, you'll see a modest improvement.

Expect an hour more or so of active use.

We have a bunch of aging iPhones at my workplace and it isn't anywhere near as simple as that. The number is just an estimate and one phone showing 86% could work just fine and another could be absolutely stuffed (down to like 1.5 hours of active use total)

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I have a first gen SE at 83%, and the battery graph looks like a roller coaster slowly climbing, then dramatically plunging. I get maybe two hours of browsing out of it before it drops to ~20% and then just gives up. Solid phone otherwise.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The lack of imessage on pc really sucks rear end. It just pushed me to get my friends on Signal (which has a pc client) so I guess it was a good thing after all!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Where do I need to drop M4R files to show up as ringtones on the phone? Gotta be a specially named folder probably.

Dear God, Apple's still making it a pain in the rear end. My last device was an iPhone 7 that I've ditched pretty quickly.

--edit: I used some third party software called iMazing.

Apple :psypop:

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 25, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ok Comboomer posted:

I have to choose between an iPhone 12 and 12 Pro ASAP and I can’t choose.

I think the blue looks way better on the cheaper phone but I imagine that I’d get more value from the nicer camera on the Pro and I tend to hold onto these things for 3-4 years. Size + storage would be the same.

:ohdear:

Anybody who’s seen them in person yet with an opinion? Toss in the 12 mini for contention for that matter, since I’m trading up from a 6S.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Ok Comboomer posted:

Anybody who’s seen them in person yet with an opinion? Toss in the 12 mini for contention for that matter, since I’m trading up from a 6S.

I have a Xs. Went to Best Buy and tried out the 12/Pro. It was the same size as my current Xs with the leather case. Slap a case on the 12 and it's going to be too big for daily use.

The phone is beautiful and light but the size is too much for my hands. It's a pain to reach up or to the side.

I'm fairly certain the 12 Mini will be perfect, despite a smaller screen.

Also, no more shite Intel modem if I go with the 12z

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

vote_no posted:

got into a dumb android vs iPhone debate on twitter because I mentioned in a choose one (a fold or an iPhone) that I could only run my business on the iPhone, and the android fan boys came out in full force attacking me that I could totally run a business on an android phone. I simply said you can run a business on an android phone, but not mine, and that seemed to only make them angrier, but the truth is, I would never run a business without iMessage and airdrop and and and...

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

2 quick dumb questions:

Has anyone noticed cases popping off more easily with the move square sides?

I’ve got a hundred dollar balance on my Apple account and keep running into stuff that don’t use it.

Stuff like:

AppleCare+ purchases
Apple family purchases (which is apparently expected)

Did I somehow buy AppleCare+ wrong?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Maneki Neko posted:

2 quick dumb questions:

Has anyone noticed cases popping off more easily with the move square sides?

I’ve got a hundred dollar balance on my Apple account and keep running into stuff that don’t use it.

Stuff like:

AppleCare+ purchases
Apple family purchases (which is apparently expected)

Did I somehow buy AppleCare+ wrong?

It’s actually a little difficult to take the clear case off my 12, it’s pretty stiff. The leather case on my 8 came off way easier

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

does the case rely on the magnetic hold or is it still a friction fit that gives you a raised edge around the screen?

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Laserface posted:

does the case rely on the magnetic hold or is it still a friction fit that gives you a raised edge around the screen?

Friction, at least with my Apple silicon case. I think the magnet does just about nothing except allow the phone with the case on to align correctly on the MagSafe charger.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I’m trying to get my mom over to an iPhone SE after only using androids. If she gets one through Verizon, does she still get one of those personal sessions from an Apple person to walk her through things? Or does Verizon provide anything? I’m hopeful iPhone will be better for her in the long run, but not looking forward to the transition period, especially remotely.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I went and checked out the 12's at Best Buy and grabbed an 11 pro instead. It's a very nice downsize/upgrade from the XR I had previously and way snappier. I guess I'll be back in 2 years and see what the iPhone 14's look like. :newlol:

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

rafikki posted:

I’m trying to get my mom over to an iPhone SE after only using androids. If she gets one through Verizon, does she still get one of those personal sessions from an Apple person to walk her through things? Or does Verizon provide anything? I’m hopeful iPhone will be better for her in the long run, but not looking forward to the transition period, especially remotely.

It's limited to orders from Apple website but Verizon will have their own support to. That being said she can always call Apple directly and screen share. Just teach her what an apple id is and have her write down the password and passcode somewhere safe. I would also add a secondary trusted phone number if possible for the apple id

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

DangerZoneDelux posted:

It's limited to orders from Apple website but Verizon will have their own support to. That being said she can always call Apple directly and screen share. Just teach her what an apple id is and have her write down the password and passcode somewhere safe. I would also add a secondary trusted phone number if possible for the apple id

I haven’t used apple’s support that much, they do things like helping a recent android to iPhone user figure things out?