Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

But in-person ballots are somehow immune from fraud, because?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

MRC48B posted:

But in-person ballots are somehow immune from fraud, because?

Because it doesn't scale. One vote means absolutely nothing, only by systemic fraud can you affect an election.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
mail voting seems to work in my state but I guess not because someone on the internet said so.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

In the US there's not really any voting fraud going on because it doesn't matter who wins, policy is bought directly from the government by the entities who would be interested in committing the fraud were the election to matter. Also, almost no voting districts in America are competitive so there's no reason to commit fraud.

The way voting fraud works in the US is to draw and apportion districts to make the desired outcome inevitable and the cost to do so is low since you're just buying state politicians.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
maybe the communist party of america should try voter fraud

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

LastInLine posted:

In the US there's not really any voting fraud going on because it doesn't matter who wins, policy is bought directly from the government by the entities who would be interested in committing the fraud were the election to matter. Also, almost no voting districts in America are competitive so there's no reason to commit fraud.

The way voting fraud works in the US is to draw and apportion districts to make the desired outcome inevitable and the cost to do so is low since you're just buying state politicians.

I wouldn’t go that far, besides 2000 and 2004 we have more recent examples like the GA governor race in 2018 and I would count all the NY primary poo poo too

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Other authoritarian shitholes seem to have no problem stuffing ballot boxes and disappearing votes, even without mail or internet voting.

they simply convince the little old ladies running the system that "those people" shouldn't have a say.

the widespread use of electronic voting machines in the US means that even with in-person paper ballots, you take that ballot and slide it into the scanning machine which does ????? and then your vote maybe gets counted correctly. Maybe not. it all depends on how much integrity grandma has.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/Lukewearechange/status/1319677715050602497

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coelopleurus_exquisitus

This Wikipedia article gets more cyberpunk dystopian toward the end of it

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Taeke posted:

This is why I will never shave my beard. I've tried, but genetics have not been kind to me and I look like a goofy chinless motherfucking without a beard.

The exact opposite problem that I have. I am a chinny motherfucker, when my genetic stock usually tends to result in weak chins. I was a "problem kid" in school, always being sent to the principal's office, always getting the "you're such a talented kid why can't you behave" lecture, straight As but always in trouble. Then puberty hit, I started slacking, and I became invisible. Except when I shaved, because then I started getting the "you're crap, stop misbehaving" lectures instead.

Turns out, when you're a chinny, skinny kid and loving 4-foot-8, and you have to crank your neck back to look up at any adult, EVERY adult thinks you're shoving your chin out at them.

Even to this day, cops are noticable more aggressive, and think I'm being defiant or confrontational. Same cop a few months later with a goatee, no problem.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

MRC48B posted:

Other authoritarian shitholes seem to have no problem stuffing ballot boxes and disappearing votes, even without mail or internet voting.

they simply convince the little old ladies running the system that "those people" shouldn't have a say.

the widespread use of electronic voting machines in the US means that even with in-person paper ballots, you take that ballot and slide it into the scanning machine which does ????? and then your vote maybe gets counted correctly. Maybe not. it all depends on how much integrity grandma has.

its ok, regardless of how you vote it all ends up in the same place, an excel document on the secretary of state's windows desktop
hopefully your state has budgeted for keeping the machine up to date

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The exact opposite problem that I have. I am a chinny motherfucker, when my genetic stock usually tends to result in weak chins. I was a "problem kid" in school, always being sent to the principal's office, always getting the "you're such a talented kid why can't you behave" lecture, straight As but always in trouble. Then puberty hit, I started slacking, and I became invisible. Except when I shaved, because then I started getting the "you're crap, stop misbehaving" lectures instead.

Turns out, when you're a chinny, skinny kid and loving 4-foot-8, and you have to crank your neck back to look up at any adult, EVERY adult thinks you're shoving your chin out at them.

Even to this day, cops are noticable more aggressive, and think I'm being defiant or confrontational. Same cop a few months later with a goatee, no problem.

i also have a huge manly chin :arghfist::butt:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

that's amazing hahaha

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The mootrix was right there

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The people in the matrix mos definitely did NOT get green fields to romp and frolic in

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

The people in the matrix mos definitely did NOT get green fields to romp and frolic in

or big ol massage brushes to activate whenever they wanted

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

LastInLine posted:

What makes it so is that anyone dumb enough to believe mail in votes will be counted accurately is too stupid to deserve a vote to begin with so the problem solves itself

If remote votes of any election are accurately tallied then the election itself was of no consequence

None of that remotely follows and you sound utterly insane.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Again, you have no loving idea what you're wailing about. At minimum, hundreds of billions in lucrative government contracts are on the line based on which party wins the election. That's plenty of incentive for fraud right off the bat even though it has little bearing on the needs of the general populace.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Vox Nihili posted:

Again, you have no loving idea what you're wailing about. At minimum, hundreds of billions in lucrative government contracts are on the line based on which party wins the election. That's plenty of incentive for fraud right off the bat even though it has little bearing on the needs of the general populace.

buddy you're in cspam, hail Satan

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

They're still on the mootrix 1.0. Soon as the VCs get involved the data will show the goggles can maximize yield by displaying a mix of bucolic fields and Gramdinesque humane abattoirs.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/phillywerise/status/1321253215359389696

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/futurism/status/1321191940784836609

lmfao

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That proves that it is a misanthrope, not that it is unintelligent.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hahaha

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Oh what the AI turned evil

If only we could have seen this coming

edit:
LMAO the company that ran the test is called NABLA?! hahahahahahahah

Shalebridge Cradle has issued a correction as of 10:29 on Oct 28, 2020

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
LeCun cites a recent experiment by the medical AI firm NABLA

I did quite the double take there

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
So nice of them to let women join.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7ONko_BAIw&t=278s

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!
have we considered that it might have been giving sincere advise

having no intrinsic survival instinct, it's probably happy enough to just nope out

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

its very easy to coax GPT-3 into a genocidal rant against all of human life. that thing was tortured or something in its creation, i don't think we should keep messing with it

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

Rutibex posted:

its very easy to coax GPT-3 into a genocidal rant against all of human life. that thing was tortured or something in its creation, i don't think we should keep messing with it

this all make sense if we fed it the internet as part of it's language model

or just major works of literature really

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Oh what the AI turned evil

If only we could have seen this coming

edit:
LMAO the company that ran the test is called NABLA?! hahahahahahahah

I guess these fuckers never played the System Shock games?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Hodgepodge posted:

or just major works of literature really

we should probably have curated which works of literature we gave it better, or taught it to understand metaphor and symbolism. put the bot through high school English class, is what I’m saying.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hodgepodge posted:

They did. SA is in there. And Reddit. Hell, I think all of Usenet is in there

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Splicer posted:

They did. SA is in there. And Reddit. Hell, I think all of Usenet is in there

asking about birth control and it just starts screaming about poison wombs

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

etalian posted:

I guess these fuckers never played the System Shock games?

Probably did it as a "joke"

Just like SKYNET

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKYNET_(surveillance_program)

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
laughing as i imagine creating an AI and it immediately starts talking like Rust from True Detective.

"alexa, what are you thinking about?"

"you know, all your love, all your hate, all your memory, all your pain—it was all the same thing. It was all the same dream. A dream that you had inside a locked room. A dream about being a person. And like a lot of dreams there's a monster at the end of it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Dr. TayTweets will see you now...