Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Its still a good amount of work to get to a level a AAA would consider acceptable. Consider Skyrim VR and Fallout VR and how lovely things like lockpicking can feel in those games

Not disagreeing with the rest of your post, but the lockpicking in both those games is just done with analog sticks like in the non VR counterparts. I didn't have any trouble with it ot notice any difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I read a little trick to improve VD latency, although I still have to confirm it by myself: disable any kind of password and encryption in the wifi connection. Of course, to avoid being leeched by other people, use mac filters instead.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Turin Turambar posted:

I read a little trick to improve VD latency, although I still have to confirm it by myself: disable any kind of password and encryption in the wifi connection. Of course, to avoid being leeched by other people, use mac filters instead.

this is not good advice and mac filters only keep really basic people out (which is probably the majority, but still) as they are easily spoofed. i mean if you really feel the need to do this, i guess you could put both computer and headset in a kind of network dmz to keep other devices safe, but like. still, i think this is a bad idea unless you just like live out in the country.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Virtual desktop woes, got it all running, directly connected to my pc through the router. Desktop amd any hame running shows up fine on the main environment screen but when it switches to VR mode I just get a black screen. Any ideas, Google is a bit spotty and just says turn of night light mode which is not on.

If I switch back to desk top mode I can see the game running in the steam window.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Did Steam VR launch OK? The first couple times on a system that hadn't run VR before I had issues with SteamVR and OpenVR prerequisites getting installed and launched properly. Also try launching from Virtual Desktop's own Games tab, not just running the application from Windows.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Steam run fine. If I go to desktop mode you can see the view i should be seeing in the display window. Will have a monkey around and see if I have missed something.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
I feel like I just skipped something in Vertigo Remastered, about an hour or so in.
I extended the walkway to the surface elevator, got caught by that giant gold robot, and when he dropped me I managed to teleport back to the walkway in mid fall. He then just de-spawned abruptly.

Also

God drat it I spent so much fuckin' time going in circles in that vent area because I didn't realise I could break that glass with the little shock baton :psyduck:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Turin Turambar posted:

TLDR: Quest is around 240% bigger than Steam for VR exclusive titles, although we don't have good data points.

I expected as much but this is still really good to know, thanks!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

veni veni veni posted:

Not disagreeing with the rest of your post, but the lockpicking in both those games is just done with analog sticks like in the non VR counterparts. I didn't have any trouble with it ot notice any difference?

That's my point :effort: where making motion controls would be lots of work. But I guess it does function okay.

Also I thought the keyhole UI that pops up feels super odd in VR. Its not attached to the door, clearly artificial. But even that popup UI took work and testing.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I agree that the laser-pointer UI in the Quest is suboptimal, but it is quite easy to learn and resilient to calibration errors.

There were prototypes of much more intricate UIs that took advantage of the touch expressions, but they were deemed (I think correctly) to be too hard for a brand-new user to deal with, especially if someone put the headset on them at a party and they didn't do a tutorial. I'm interested in how reliable hand-tracking can be, because the human hand is a very expressive controller, genuine accessibility issues notwithstanding. I wanted us to build a prototype of a cylinder that could read hand position on it, and become more or less resistant to compression under software control. Wisely, I was not immediately put in charge of the controller team.

It's an open secret that the controllers were the long pole, schedule-wise, for the Rift. We really didn't want to ship without them, but alas we ended up with the Xbox controller and the remote by the time we really needed to get something into the market. The promise of Constellation to track any number of things that had a unique LED pattern on them was largely left unfulfilled, but inside-out is The Way And The Light anyway.

Yeah, but I think the issue with this approach is more subtle than that and gets its roots deeper in a problematic way. I agree that new players struggle a little bit, especially in that kind of environment, but I think other solutions, I think something along the lines of what they're doing with that third person camera you can control with your phone that they demoed to allow you to jump into the environment and guide the person directly would be fantastic, would both be better and not start stagnating the thinking. My best example of how I think this has shaken out long term is Horizon. I was cautiously optimistic for it, but after trying it out I think it falls completely flat for the experience it's supposed to be.

You just kind of teleport from place to place, there are loading screens all over the place, there's no continuity or feeling of existing in a common space, hell it's even worse if you want to play with friends because it uses the groups voice chat and now it's not even positional anymore. It feels like they don't understand what's unique and powerful about VR and are happy to lean on convenience at the expense of making it feel like you're existing in an alternate space. It feels like something everyone will feel lukewarm about instead of a smaller number of people feel passionately about, and I feel like I see this attitude towards software all over the place in VR right now and it's really disappointing

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Goodguy3 posted:

I feel like I just skipped something in Vertigo Remastered, about an hour or so in.
I extended the walkway to the surface elevator, got caught by that giant gold robot, and when he dropped me I managed to teleport back to the walkway in mid fall. He then just de-spawned abruptly.

Also

God drat it I spent so much fuckin' time going in circles in that vent area because I didn't realise I could break that glass with the little shock baton :psyduck:

Here's how that section went for me:

hit the last switch to finish extending. Big dude popped up, and threw me down into the water. Climb back up and he's gone. Hit the center button and the elevator begins moving. If you managed to break the script you can reload an earlier checkpoint of course. He does disappear until you climb back up and hit the button, though, so maybe just hitting the button will progress everything further without loading an older checkpoint.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lemming posted:

It feels like something everyone will feel lukewarm about instead of a smaller number of people feel passionately about, and I feel like I see this attitude towards software all over the place in VR right now and it's really disappointing

If I had a buck for every time I was embroiled in a variant of that discussion, you and I would be having this conversation on my space yacht.

I think the NUX will get better over time, but it's treated conservatively for reasons I understand, even if I don't know that I'd make the same choices.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

Bloodplay it again posted:

Here's how that section went for me:

hit the last switch to finish extending. Big dude popped up, and threw me down into the water. Climb back up and he's gone. Hit the center button and the elevator begins moving. If you managed to break the script you can reload an earlier checkpoint of course. He does disappear until you climb back up and hit the button, though, so maybe just hitting the button will progress everything further without loading an older checkpoint.

That would explain him despawning, so there wasn't a fight or something. I just walked up to the button and hit it and it kept going fine haha.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Goodguy3 posted:

Also

Yeah, your supposed to fall all the way down so you can bring the sludge level back up. That's a weird bug. I did that same thing in the vents. I swear that they put the wrong glass texture there. All other windows with the universal video game unbreakable texture are unbreakable.

This thread is getting way to fast for me. I'm use to the old 2 pages per week speed. I forgot to ask if anyone said Jet Island when folk brought up Shadow of the Collosus. Instead of a horse, you get a anti friction board and jets. It is sotc but :krad:. I wish there were more beast though.

Happyimp fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 25, 2020

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Does steam VR motion smoothing only work on vive/index? I am trying to use it with my quest on virtual desktop and no matter what it’s set at it doesn’t seem to do anything but I’m just wondering if I’m missing a setting.

X-plane is kicking my rear end trying to get it to perform decently with the quest. Using oculus mode through link it is too blurry even with the debug tool increasing the encode resolution and bitrate. Steam vr mode through link is the same lack of clarity but worse performance. Steam VR mode through virtual desktop looks absolutely clear and crisp but jumps between 50 and 72 FPS. I really need some kind of ASW to make it smooth, but with link refusing to encode at the native resolution (or perhaps it is but it’s being downscaled to quest 1 resolution somewhere along the path making it not so crisp) I have the trade-off of smoothness or readable gauges.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I tried to play Vertigo last night but got motion sickness. I dunno if it was me or the game, I'm not feeling my best right now.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the next big VR seller? Boneworks and Alyx were the last I've really paid any attention to

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

GutBomb posted:

X-plane is kicking my rear end trying to get it to perform decently with the quest.

I can't speak for Quest usage, but X-Plane in general runs like poo poo, because the lead guy considers 25FPS to be completely acceptable. He's a complete and utter dipshit.

That said, are you on the beta branch? They added the Vulkan renderer to it recently, which pushes the performance from "tragic" to "almost okay."

Shine fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 25, 2020

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Shine posted:

I can't speak for Quest usage, but X-Plane in general runs like like, because the lead guy considers 25FPS to be completely acceptable. He's a complete and utter dipshit.

That said, are you on the beta branch? They added the Vulkan renderer to it recently, which pushes the performance from "tragic" to "almost okay."

The Vulkan renderer is on the main branch now and it is much better than it was when it was just opengl.

With the Rift S I get enough frames to make ASW work, and on my monitor I get 100-144 (max refresh rate of my monitor), but with the quest I just need some more frames!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

GutBomb posted:

Does steam VR motion smoothing only work on vive/index? I am trying to use it with my quest on virtual desktop and no matter what it’s set at it doesn’t seem to do anything but I’m just wondering if I’m missing a setting.

X-plane is kicking my rear end trying to get it to perform decently with the quest. Using oculus mode through link it is too blurry even with the debug tool increasing the encode resolution and bitrate. Steam vr mode through link is the same lack of clarity but worse performance. Steam VR mode through virtual desktop looks absolutely clear and crisp but jumps between 50 and 72 FPS. I really need some kind of ASW to make it smooth, but with link refusing to encode at the native resolution (or perhaps it is but it’s being downscaled to quest 1 resolution somewhere along the path making it not so crisp) I have the trade-off of smoothness or readable gauges.

Its a tough ask when performance is already struggling, but I read something isn't working right now with the encode resolution width setting in link, as no matter what i change that to i can't notice any difference, however adjusting the pixel override setting yielded a remarkable improvement in clarity. I don't even know that its just supersampling really, as I've played with supersampling since the start of VR and its barely ever been noticeable to me, but changing that with link feels like its fixing something.

That uploadVR article said they didn't think the encode resolution setting changed anything and I think thats true, and right now the pixel override is the only way I've been able to really improve the clarity and make it look like its using all the pixels of the display.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Tom Guycot posted:

Its a tough ask when performance is already struggling, but I read something isn't working right now with the encode resolution width setting in link, as no matter what i change that to i can't notice any difference, however adjusting the pixel override setting yielded a remarkable improvement in clarity. I don't even know that its just supersampling really, as I've played with supersampling since the start of VR and its barely ever been noticeable to me, but changing that with link feels like its fixing something.

That uploadVR article said they didn't think the encode resolution setting changed anything and I think thats true, and right now the pixel override is the only way I've been able to really improve the clarity and make it look like its using all the pixels of the display.

The only option that works for the encode resolution setting is 0. If you set it to 0, you get a slight bump in resolution to 2352, up from 2064. But yeah, it is completely bugged.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties

Goodguy3 posted:

Also

This! I was about to come on here and complain this is some boring poo poo until I realised this. Game is fun though getting used to continuous moving got me feeling sick yesterday. The game is like Pixar does half life 1 so far.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

Goodguy3 posted:

We've all been there, friend.

The shock baton always feels a bit weird and floaty to me for some reason. I don't think I've had any item feel so nonphysical in any other games I've been mucking around in and I can't figure out why.

In particular, gently caress dealing with those stupid tentacles. I can Jedi Training Bot for days but that was irritating. For a game that flaunts itself as being fully playable in a seated mode, I found it horrendous even standing with a study-sized area to move in.

Synonymous fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 25, 2020

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

Synonymous posted:

The shock baton always feels a bit weird and floaty to me for some reason. I don't think I've had any item feel so nonphysical in any other games I've been mucking around in and I can't figure out why.

Oh it's very weird. I found out that you can't reflect shots with it if you're swinging it - it HAS to be completely still.

Also yeah the tentacle boss was very annoying, even if I didn't die to it. It felt like my hitbox extended above my head a little for some of those bullets so I felt like I had to hold the baton way above my head

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
You can play Vertigo while seated? That might be what I need. Or maybe I can try my kneeling chair, that might help with the motion sickness.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’m happy to report that VR Chat is still a nightmare on the Quest 2. I need to see about streaming it from my PC.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warbird posted:

I’m happy to report that VR Chat is still a nightmare on the Quest 2. I need to see about streaming it from my PC.

There's really zero reason to bother with the Quest version. It's laughably limited, and you should just tether to your PC and play the full version if you can.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I unexpectedly got a Quest 2 and Elite strap as a gift, so I guess I am gonna be checking it out more than I thought!
I like it so far, not really bothered with desktop stuff yet but it's a nice thing.
It had the normal strap on at first and it gave me strong DK1 vibes, i.e it sucked rear end, but the elite strap is legit

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I made some breakthroughs with Oculus Link this morning that give me enough clarity to use x-plane and get ASW so it’s smooth.

The encode resolution width is really weird. Not all resolutions actually make a visual difference. 3664 (the native resolution of the quest 2) doesn’t seem to do anything, but messing with a bunch of different values I settled on 3200, which makes things much clearer. 500mbps bitrate was causing too much latency so I knocked that down to 200 and I can’t see a difference. I set the curvature to low (which puts more pixel density in the middle of the lens) I put supersampling up to 1.3 and that 1.3/3200/200/low seems to be the sweet spot for me.

It still isn’t as clear as Virtual Desktop but for things that need ASW to remain smooth this is officially GoodEnough(tm) for me.

I’m using a generic 16 foot usb-a to right-angle usb-c cable I picked up for $25 on amazon. It is a USB 3.0 cable plugged into a usb 3.1 port.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I think I've given up on Half Life Alyx. I just don't get the hype. Yeah looks great and is really immersive but the moment to moment gameplay is so slow and plodding. Wander around scrounging for ammo and upgrade things. The combat feels awful because the guns are so weak. No melee attack in a half life VR game is also ridiculous.

I got to a part where I got my third gun (combine automatic shooting one) and you had to navigate up through a three story building with constantly respawning long-legged headcrabs. I never felt in danger because you can just side strafe when they hop, but they are so bullet spongey that the whole sequence just felt irritating.

I think playing wireless with the Quest 2 all week has made being tethered in place with a cable feel extra bad too which probably added to my frustration.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's really zero reason to bother with the Quest version. It's laughably limited, and you should just tether to your PC and play the full version if you can.

I meant more in the inherent nature of VR Chat than the performance itself, but all of that is also true.

Edit - You can apparently tack on a DAS to the Quest2 if you have one for the Vive and some 3d printed part.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Goodguy3 posted:

Oh it's very weird. I found out that you can't reflect shots with it if you're swinging it - it HAS to be completely still.

Also yeah the tentacle boss was very annoying, even if I didn't die to it. It felt like my hitbox extended above my head a little for some of those bullets so I felt like I had to hold the baton way above my head

You and Synonymous got me to reinstall the game to see if they screwed something up with the update. I tried it on the quest and the Index. I found out that on the quest that even though my controllers where tracking properly, the characters hands where dragging behind my movements. The baton feels like holding a heavy hammer. On the index, the baton is light and barely has drag on a fast swing. Very weird. Which version are yall playing?
On both versions the bosses lasers were hittable, baseball style and fanning. I haven't tried it in not height fixed seating mode though.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

DrBox posted:

I think I've given up on Half Life Alyx. I just don't get the hype. Yeah looks great and is really immersive but the moment to moment gameplay is so slow and plodding. Wander around scrounging for ammo and upgrade things. The combat feels awful because the guns are so weak. No melee attack in a half life VR game is also ridiculous.

I got to a part where I got my third gun (combine automatic shooting one) and you had to navigate up through a three story building with constantly respawning long-legged headcrabs. I never felt in danger because you can just side strafe when they hop, but they are so bullet spongey that the whole sequence just felt irritating.

I think playing wireless with the Quest 2 all week has made being tethered in place with a cable feel extra bad too which probably added to my frustration.

i was really disappointed by alyx. the combat feels bad like you said, my clear memories of the game are walking around in the dark throwing exploding balls in vr at zombies that could never threaten me
what made me really sad though was the total lack of environmental storytelling, reused assets all over the walls, 90% of the rooms don't feel like you're meant to look at any of the assets. compared to L4D or the lab in HL2.
the balcony got me hyped because theres a rations pack with a world building joke on it and some fun beer names, i got really excited we were gonna see a game with loads of lore on the walls to look at in VR, written by Jay, Chet, Erik etc who are imprisoned in valve's dungeon.

then thats basically it for the entire level other than a newspaper with the lore leak on it.

all the assets on the walls are in cyrillic, i dunno if they translate into lore? whatshisface's lab is just surrounded in disconnected monitors ffs, put stuff on there for me to look at! its VR!
haha it makes me mad irl

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I don't think VR is to the point where you can do lore like that.

Not everyone has to like everything. I still have yet to finish Alyx, because I'm stuck in a spot without enough ammo to get through all the enemies. But it's one of the best VR games I've played so far.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

The guns are shamefully weak in Alyx. There is no excusing them.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

its definitely one of the best vr games but thats more an indictment of the selection of vr games imo, like how heavenly sword was one of the best ps3 games for a while, but i haven't played that many

e:

Nocheez posted:

I don't think VR is to the point where you can do lore like that.

if you can have low res russian on the walls you can have low res english on the walls surely.
its more a design decision i think, the 3d assets were made independently of the writing team so there is very little writing in the environment.

if the tradeoff really is that they need to repeat assets that much throughout the level imo its a tradeoff that gets rid of one of valve's unique strengths. i'd rather have smaller levels with unique stuff.
the game is still written above average and has amazing lighting but could have been amazing with portal or l4d style storytelling.
alyx didnt feel very valve to me apart from the bad shooting

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 25, 2020

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Looks like Quest 2 launch has brought Eternal VR September to reddit. I guess that's yet another sign of VR going mainstream.

Also, the constant "Facebook BAD!" posts are getting pretty hilarious.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

iron buns posted:

Looks like Quest 2 launch has brought Eternal VR September to reddit. I guess that's yet another sign of VR going mainstream.

Also, the constant "Facebook BAD!" posts are getting pretty hilarious.

I had to read that link, I didn't know that expression. It's strangely appropriate, as more than anything, Facebook is perhaps the biggest contributor of 'mainstream people' coming to Internet and overwhelming the old geeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That’s a good thing IMO. Mass market appeal means more content. More content means more headsets. More headsets mean Reddit gets flooded by September noobs and I can hang out in my dead gay comedy forum with way more VR bullshit and the same crowd as before.