Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ifeelthewind/status/1318431963578073090

The Contra video has triggered yet another controversy because she decided to give her straw man character non-binary pronouns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

SimonChris posted:

https://twitter.com/ifeelthewind/status/1318431963578073090

The Contra video has triggered yet another controversy because she decided to give her straw man character non-binary pronouns.

Hmmm the woman with a history of saying enbyphobic things making her strawman punching bag character enby. I'm sure there's nothing to read into there! :shepface:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
It's amazing how much contempt that she packs into that one character that she considers what is honestly a pretty standard LeftTrans Twitter profile to be this massive strawman own on her haters.

Seriously gently caress Contra, she's such a smug faux-intellectual.

quote:

vote shaming chat

You're seeing this on the other side of the pond quite a bit now and it's just as tiring. Centrist/Right Labour spent 5 years sabotaging both the inner workings and public image of Corbyn's Labour in whatever way they could, to the point that there was a high possibility that Labour would have won the 2017 (2016? gently caress time has no meaning any more) election if it wasn't for staffers deliberately misplacing funds and support.
And then they have the temerity to turn around when they stole power back and say "okay now vote for us for you're literally responsible for every psychotic evil the Tories come out with", just after straight up accusing Leftists of being literal Nazis for years on end. We're apparently not important enough to listen to and be taken seriously but important enough to tilt the balance of power on a whim.|

Centrism never wins on its own virtues or efforts. It just defaults into power by people being so sick of explicit boot stamping into face, then spends its time doing the same poo poo with a smiley face and a corporate sponsor, laying the groundwork for another decade of boot in face.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

*Onion Kelly voice* Contrapointless.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

CYBEReris posted:

*Onion Kelly voice* Contrabanned.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Harm reduction doesn't work with Biden and crew because no harm gets reduced. It's a dumb argument that doesn't work in this particular instance.

if you don't think term 2 trump will be an order of magnitude worse than biden send me some of what you're smoking

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’ve liked the argument it’s less harm reduction and more harm redistribution.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Dabir posted:

if you don't think term 2 trump will be an order of magnitude worse than biden send me some of what you're smoking

for the people who get to go back to brunch he sure would, but not all of us are that lucky. at the end of the day whether it's dealing with the boiling antagonistic hatred of republicans or being means tested into oblivion for the sake of corporations by the democrats with a smile the outlook isn't good.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

CYBEReris posted:

for the people who get to go back to brunch he sure would, but not all of us are that lucky. at the end of the day whether it's dealing with the boiling antagonistic hatred of republicans or being means tested into oblivion for the sake of corporations by the democrats with a smile the outlook isn't good.

No, it's harm reduction for those people too. Harm reduction, not harm prevention. Vulnerable people will be harmed to a repulsive degree in a Biden administration, but it will still be less than the harm they're facing now. gently caress's sake, 1 in 1000 black Americans have died due to COVID-19.

That said, I understand and don't resent anyone in that position looking at the options Biden is giving them and just saying gently caress it all.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

No, it's harm reduction for those people too. Harm reduction, not harm prevention. Vulnerable people will be harmed to a repulsive degree in a Biden administration, but it will still be less than the harm they're facing now. gently caress's sake, 1 in 1000 black Americans have died due to COVID-19.

That said, I understand and don't resent anyone in that position looking at the options Biden is giving them and just saying gently caress it all.

If you shoot two bullets and kill someone instead of shooting twenty bullets and killing someone, is that really harm reduction?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

CYBEReris posted:

If you shoot two bullets and kill someone instead of shooting twenty bullets and killing someone, is that really harm reduction?

if you shoot two bullets randomly and hit one person instead of shooting 20 bullets into a crowd with intent to kill and landing all of them with pinpoint precision, is that really harm reduction

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

To borrow a better analogy from someone much smarter and more principled than me, you can't stick a knife in someone nine inches and pull it out six inches and call that harm reduction just because the other guy left it in. The wound is still left untreated either way.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That's also a terrible analogy. Trump isn't just leaving the knife in, he's stabbing you again. Repeatedly. He is causing more harm than the administration before him (which, yes, was also harmful) and more harm than a Biden administration is likely to cause. Voting for Biden, while still harmful, is definitionally a reduction in harm.

If that's not enough for you, that's fine and I get it, but the choice isn't even is remotely equivalent and making it out to be is disingenuous.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I can't form an argument better than this so I'll just leave it here to speak for me instead

http://www.indigenousaction.org/voting-is-not-harm-reduction-an-indigenous-perspective/

quote:

We don’t dismiss the reality that, on the scale of U.S. settler colonial violence, even the slightest degree of harm can mean life or death for those most vulnerable. What we assert here is that the entire notion of “voting as harm reduction” obscures and perpetuates settler-colonial violence, there is nothing “less harmful” about it, and there are more effective ways to intervene in its violences.

At some point the left in the so-called U.S. realized that convincing people to rally behind a “lesser evil” was a losing strategy. The term “harm reduction” was appropriated to reframe efforts to justify their participation and coerce others to engage in the theater of what is called “democracy” in the U.S.

Harm reduction was established in the 1980s as a public health strategy for people dealing with substance use issues who struggle with abstinence. According to the Harm Reduction Coalition (HRC) the principles of harm reduction establish that the identified behavior is “part of life” so they “choose not to ignore or condemn but to minimize harmful effects” and work towards breaking social stigmas towards “safer use.” The HRC also states that, “there is no universal definition of or formula for implementing harm reduction.” Overall, harm reduction focuses on reducing adverse impacts associated with harmful behaviors.

The proposition of “harm reduction” in the context of voting means something entirely different from those organizing to address substance use issues. The assertion is that “since this political system isn’t going away, we’ll support politicians and laws that may do less harm.”

The idea of a ballot being capable of reducing the harm in a system rooted in colonial domination and exploitation, white supremacy, hetero-patriarchy, and capitalism is an extraordinary exaggeration. There is no person whose lives aren’t impacted everyday by these systems of oppression, but instead of coded reformism and coercive “get out the vote” campaigns towards a “safer” form of settler colonialism, we’re asking “what is the real and tragic harm and danger associated with perpetuating colonial power and what can be done to end it?”

if i had to boil down my point though I'd say calling the vote harm reduction is a gross insult to the people who experience brutal bipartisan oppression, like the black, indigenous, disabled, etc. activists who will be brutalized by the police Biden wants to increase funding for. vote for him if you want but these justifications only exist for your own comfort, they're not meaningful to the people who will unequivocally not have their harm reduced.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 25, 2020

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

For me it kind of comes down to "One party actively wants me and people like me dead" So...

I get it, Biden sucks, the dems suck. The american Political system sucks.

But you have one political party actively running on "Trans people need to be legislated out of existence by any means necessary" So of course im gonna vote for the dems. Who Suck.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 25, 2020

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I don't disagree that if you vote, you might as well vote for the lesser evil. Which is why I voted Howie Hawkins. :)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Edit: nah, not worth the argument.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 25, 2020

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Saw your edit and I'll respect it and remove my response

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 25, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Edit: let's stop the politics derail.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
It loving sucks but given how brazen Trump has become over voter supression the US kinda needs to vote for the less bad sex offender this time around.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

As thus the Democrats will make sure that the choice is always bad enough to say "wait till next time" to anyone left of Jeff Bezos.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
So, Bafael has started a series on badly balanced characters in FGs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjS1imDYkVM

He hasn't touched on anything egregious so far, but just in case you're a semi-casual player and you wanna understand what makes a character top-tier/bottom-tier in competitive FGs, it's worth a watch.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Re: that tweet thread-

https://twitter.com/ifeelthewind/status/1318463713469468677

Mmm no I don't agree with this analysis. Tabby reads to me like everything Contra reflexively cringes at but also sees in herself and doesn't quite know how to deal with or express because they're all things she privately doesn't disagree with. I haven't been watching most of her videos for a few months now, but all the prior "characters yell at each other" bits were always pretty transparent reflections on Contra debating to herself about her own sexuality, identity, and politics and not having a satisfying answer to anything because they're all messy and difficult to navigate.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

the quarantine is slowly killing brian david gilbert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbfu39l0kxg

Nuns with Guns posted:

Re: that tweet thread-

https://twitter.com/ifeelthewind/status/1318463713469468677

Mmm no I don't agree with this analysis. Tabby reads to me like everything Contra reflexively cringes at but also sees in herself and doesn't quite know how to deal with or express because they're all things she privately doesn't disagree with.

lol at trying to read the psyche of a youtuber to excuse her failings.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

lunar detritus posted:

lol at trying to read the psyche of a youtuber to excuse her failings.

Those videos are her raw psyche so idk what the gently caress else you're supposed to do with them? And I'm not excusing her failings. I've said plenty of times in this very loving thread that those videos are awkward at best and a dumb idea to share on her main platform when they're moment-by-moment feelings she has over any substance or fact, and are often things she moves away from (like she's already admitted she doesn't agree with whatever point she was attempting in The Aesthetic but that doesn't stop her from leaving it up there.)

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

lunar detritus posted:

the quarantine is slowly killing brian david gilbert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbfu39l0kxg

Yes! I can finally quit my day job and fufill my dreams of living in the middle of nowhere.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xtuczh5y68

In a spoooooky edition of Stump Sohla, we learn of Sohla's insaitable thirst for blood and just how loud Babish can scream.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nuns with Guns posted:

Those videos are her raw psyche so idk what the gently caress else you're supposed to do with them? And I'm not excusing her failings. I've said plenty of times in this very loving thread that those videos are awkward at best and a dumb idea to share on her main platform when they're moment-by-moment feelings she has over any substance or fact, and are often things she moves away from (like she's already admitted she doesn't agree with whatever point she was attempting in The Aesthetic but that doesn't stop her from leaving it up there.)

Okay but what about the psyche represented by....all the 'cool' non-video essay things she's said about Non-binary people? Those don't factor in at all to your reading of it?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Nuns with Guns posted:

I think those videos are more the simple idea of strawman but like more theatrical.

Like Hbomberguy did a similar thing but you weren’t supposed to take it seriously

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Okay but what about the psyche represented by....all the 'cool' non-video essay things she's said about Non-binary people? Those don't factor in at all to your reading of it?

I'm drawing a blank about what she's said specifically and negatively about nonbinary people. She's used a lot of thoughtless and exclusionary language and been terrible about admitting fault there, like last year when said a pronoun circle at an IRL feminist meetup felt performative and done for her sake as the only trans person (a maybe? valid feeling she responded to in the worst way when people pointed out the problematic way she presented it.) And she's been remarkably careless with her platform like the time she gave Buck Angel a line reading in that video without vetting his stances on transmedicalism. I remember her having a lot of defensive rages about people calling her out for both of those, but not specifically saying stuff about nonbinary people or genders. If she's done a reversal and gone hard in on transmedicalism, I haven't noticed. I've been trying to ignore her for the most part, since I don't really trust her to responsibly use the position she's in without occasionally turning her fanbase on vulnerable people in heated moments.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think those videos are more the simple idea of strawman but like more theatrical.

Like Hbomberguy did a similar thing but you weren’t supposed to take it seriously

You mean the bits where Hbomb makes fun RATIONALISTS in fedoras and the horny cartoon furry intellectual? I mean, maybe, but I guess I saw those as more one-note jokes. I don't think he's brought either back as recurring "characters" with complex interpersonal relationships or had face-to-face debates with them as if their perspectives were on a level worth discussing. If Contra is intending these to be caricatures, she's doing a poor job of presenting them that way, but that does lead back into the problems I see with the videos themselves. Those videos she puts out between different personas debating with each other don't really have a clear point, and there's a lot of possible interpretations to pull from them. When Contra's main gimmick is putting out informative video essays on challenging political topics and knocking down lovely right wing talking points or personalities, mixing in "artsy" videos about two personas having undirected arguments with each other look like another political issue and people want to suss out what side she's taking. Except these are things she either seemingly hasn't decided what side to be on yet, or are subject to change as she grows and looks into poo poo more.

e- I realized I didn't comment on the bigger issue of the Tabby persona using (she/them) pronouns though. Even if it is a reflection of any inner conflict Contra has regarding her gender identity, it does look like a tasteless joke in an offhand tweet screenshot and it's not an appropriate way to express that, in my worthless opinion.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 25, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dabir posted:

Come into C-SPAM if you want a legit, long, exhaustive answer as to why Biden is as bad as Trump. It's a better place for it than this thread, and you might get out of it with a shiny gang tag.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Someone please say something either positive or negative about Zack Snyder or Modern Warfare, I'm begging all you.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Nuns with Guns posted:

Someone please say something either positive or negative about Zack Snyder or Modern Warfare, I'm begging all you.

Now who would do something dumb like that? :shepface:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Nuns with Guns posted:

What if Snyder directed a Call of Duty film

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Jamie Faith posted:

Now who would do something dumb like that? :shepface:

It is my aggressively-held opinion that Captain Price wears a dorky grandpa fisherman hat.

Fil5000 posted:

I believe the Book of Revelations warned of that.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

It would be better than Spec Ops: The Line.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Super Robot Wars is a mecha anime mega crossover turn based strategy RPG game franchise with over fifty games. While the series has been almost exclusively a Japan only franchise due to licensing issues and general lack of interest in the west, they've recently ventured out into providing full English translations, ostensibly for the South East Asia market but with the side effect of making them very easy to import and play for English speakers the world over.

Also a fun fact, the lead translator, and some members of her team, are goons.

Alacron fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 25, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I think that’s the problem, even if you look at it in the most positive light, it’s still a character that most of the time exists to be owned.

If you want to play to that fine but you aren’t going to convince anyone. No one likes to be strawmanmAned and that’s what this is.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

First let me tell you where you can go to hear a long, exhaustive explanation of my political opinions. You know, just to make it sound as unappealing as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I thought Dawn of the Dead was ok for what it was, and had some nice style for a mid-2000s action/horror dealie.