Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

potatocubed posted:

Hello, time for me to self-promote!

I've just launched The Map is not The Territory which is a collection of dungeon adventures, essays, and mini-games all based off a single map. It's a bit of a weird project and I'm filled with anxiety that it's going to crash and burn, so if you've got some spare cash... why not give it to me so I can pay two dozen authors to write fancy stuff?

Tabletop Gaming Magazine in the UK has plugged you in their latest KS round-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Yeah, I noticed that -- it was kind of them to do so.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

I kinda bounced off the initial email but your appeal here helped. backed and good luck goon

Thanks! What bounced you off the email? I ask because I am The Worst at marketing and any sort of feedback I can work with is good for me.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Mr.Misfit posted:

Wtf is this? Like....why no standees? People love the art, no one wants that ugly 3d-printer poo poo miniature that unneccessarily bloats both the box as well as the price.
Why is there a movement arena in the middle of the gameplay area?? Why do you have movement tiles like that at all? Have these people even played Darkest Dungeon?
Why do they not even offer a standee version? Because it's their "vision"?! Gods, this feels like a bad kickstarter with all regards to a game that should be quite easy
to translate to a boardgame. And naturally, it's been funded in the smallest possible time frame so no one will ever learn anything from that. *sigh*

I've seen lots of people who are backing it because they want those minis, so it seems like they know the audience they're going for.

CODChimera posted:

Feels like there are too many enemies when it doesn't even have all the hero classes...yet?

Also sucks that you can't just pledge $1 and wait to see how the shipping works out without missing out on stuff. I get why they do it but I've seen the shipping work out to be waaaaay more expensive than the estimates several times now

This is the part that gives me pause. One of the graphics mentions something about 'one of the expansions offered during the campaign'. Since they're only showing one expansion available right now, I'm guessing they're going to add more as they hit monetary benchmarks, which seems like a lovely way to do it. People already have to pay extra for whatever you add, don't tease it out a little at a time just so you can keep growth looking good over the entire project. And it's all Kickstarter exclusive, which means if they don't make an expansion available now, it'll never happen.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Do i really want to pay 150 bucks for a darkest dungeon plague doctor mini :thunk:

There are a few shops on Etsy that sell Darkest Dungeon minis. You can also get a pretty good recreation of the Plague Doctor using HeroForge.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

potatocubed posted:

Yeah, I noticed that -- it was kind of them to do so.

Thanks! What bounced you off the email? I ask because I am The Worst at marketing and any sort of feedback I can work with is good for me.

early morning grogginess made me see it as more of like a single dungeon, so i didnt really get that it was more of a broad anthology around a theme. seeing your post motivated me to look again after i had coffeed up and it really sounded neat and good for how i find inspiration my own games!

just one of the things about marketing you cant really do anything about!

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

potatocubed posted:

I've just launched The Map is not The Territory which is a collection of dungeon adventures, essays, and mini-games all based off a single map. It's a bit of a weird project and I'm filled with anxiety that it's going to crash and burn, so if you've got some spare cash... why not give it to me so I can pay two dozen authors to write fancy stuff?

This is a really cool idea! I’ve always loved looking at random dungeon maps and imagining the stories associated with them. Backed at the art piece tier so I can hopefully get my doggo incorporated somehow!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

potatocubed posted:

I look forward to seeing how many times I can send a party into the same map before they realize it.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

bbcisdabomb posted:

I look forward to seeing how many times I can send a party into the same map before they realize it.

Ah, the Dragon Age 2 gambit.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
So, I've started a Patreon now! I've got several big features:

Riffs is the first feature--if you liked what I did for FATAL & Friends, you'll dig this. It'll be talking about dodgy RPGs, the weirdness in them, and what we can learn from their mistakes!

Ludosophy! is the second feature! It's a deep dive on different tabletop RPG concepts, taking an outside look at rules often taken for granted.

Those who back at the top tier also get a look behind what I'm working on. Right now that's the update to my animest slice-of-life game, My Exciting Life With A Fantasy Foreigner!

And it all comes with my dorkiest sense of humor at any backer level. It's been a lot of work getting to this point, so give it a look!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Riffs is the first feature--if you liked what I did for FATAL & Friends, you'll dig this. It'll be talking about dodgy RPGs, the weirdness in them, and what we can learn from their mistakes!

Uh huh. Well then welcome to the business. Prepare to be crushed.

Nah I'm kidding around have fun.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ludosophy! is the second feature! It's a deep dive on different tabletop RPG concepts, taking an outside look at rules often taken for granted.

Those who back at the top tier also get a look behind what I'm working on. Right now that's the update to my animest slice-of-life game, My Exciting Life With A Fantasy Foreigner!

And it all comes with my dorkiest sense of humor at any backer level. It's been a lot of work getting to this point, so give it a look!

Even if I didn't dig what you're doing, I'd support this for the art alone. Soooo cute ^^

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I also set up a patreon recently, for my homebrew material. Mostly CofD, Scion and Age of Sigmar. Plus anything I end up wanting to write about, I guess? If you liked my work on Scion Demigod, or any homebrew I’ve posted, or my writing here....well, you get more of it there, and a good chunk is publicly available to check out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Already I'm digging it. I learned about a Palladium game I never knew existed (because technically it never did).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

theironjef posted:

Uh huh. Well then welcome to the business. Prepare to be crushed.

https://twitter.com/KatherineJWu/status/1318931654723964937

Mr.Misfit posted:

Even if I didn't dig what you're doing, I'd support this for the art alone. Soooo cute ^^

Thanks! Looking forward to earning enough money to give Dani more money, she's good at what she do.

Dawgstar posted:

Already I'm digging it. I learned about a Palladium game I never knew existed (because technically it never did).

Yeah, it's one of those things where Siembieda did the rounds promoting it and selling it up, and then- nope! No game!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man that Darkest Dungeon game made me hesitate but after 5 seconds of "should I do it?" I came to my senses. No amount of premium miniatures will make up for the fact that this seems like one of those cases where a tabletop version of a game is a really bad idea. I literally can't see any reason to turn what's a perfect system already into a slower one with more superfluous rules attached, and with less progression than the original game.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

man that Darkest Dungeon game made me hesitate but after 5 seconds of "should I do it?" I came to my senses. No amount of premium miniatures will make up for the fact that this seems like one of those cases where a tabletop version of a game is a really bad idea. I literally can't see any reason to turn what's a perfect system already into a slower one with more superfluous rules attached, and with less progression than the original game.

I'm super undecided. I already backed HEL from these guys and at the very least i'm hoping it'll be an interesting story with some decent quality minis.

But with Darkest Dungeon it looks like there's way too many triggers and upkeep stuff. And yeah the minis look good but the 3d renders always do, and if they end up sucking i could potentially be burned twice from one company. Oh and there's already another $50 expansion that has 2 of the heroes...

Basically I just wish I could buy one of each mini

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I am concerned about a few things re Darkest Dungeon not least of which is what looks like a large number of modifiers to keep track of and stack on top of constant die roll combat resolution.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Eyes Have It posted:

I am concerned about a few things re Darkest Dungeon not least of which is what looks like a large number of modifiers to keep track of and stack on top of constant die roll combat resolution.

It does feel like a reverse Sentinels of the Multiverse (card game) situation where you play it and really wish there was an easy way to keep track of all the modifiers and everything and you get a computer version and it's great! I feel like DD is going to be a 'why am I not just playing the computer game' for a lot of people.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

And of course one of the stretch goals was another expansion. Based on the missing playable classes we should have another couple expansions yet to come.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 25, 2020

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

I'm surprised at how poor the Darkest Dungeon minis look. Maybe they've got better at having their renders match the eventual reality but it is hardly inspiring for a Kickstarter that is leaving heavily on buckets of plastic over a game that sounds interesting or matches the source material

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I was hoping and disappointed the Darkest Dungeon board game isn't more of a town builder, since that's what I liked more of the actual game. Remove all the billions of things to keep track of dungeon delving with a dice roll of who comes back alive or insane. I think I just made reskin of Bargain Quest at that point.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Mojo Jojo posted:

I'm surprised at how poor the Darkest Dungeon minis look. Maybe they've got better at having their renders match the eventual reality but it is hardly inspiring for a Kickstarter that is leaving heavily on buckets of plastic over a game that sounds interesting or matches the source material

I think the only way they'll look good is if you match the paint job to the games art style really well. gently caress that. I'd rather have artwork standees.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The Sentinels board game KS had a slow start but they reacted to it well, reducing the distance between stretch goals and changing the standee villains out for minis, moving the initial mini count from 6 to 16, now at 18 from some stretch goals. And tthough they're renders, the renders look real good.

Sadly they're "heroic scale" like 50mm and up, so they probably won't make good swap models for most wargame stuff.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

theironjef posted:

The Sentinels board game KS had a slow start but they reacted to it well, reducing the distance between stretch goals and changing the standee villains out for minis, moving the initial mini count from 6 to 16, now at 18 from some stretch goals. And tthough they're renders, the renders look real good.

I am excited they unlocked Unity who's my favorite Sentinels character, being a lovable nerd who likes to make robot dinosaurs.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Crash Octopus, the adorable flicking game from the same folks who did Tokyo Highway (NOT Tokyo Metro) is in its final 48 hours, and has unlocked all of its stretch goals.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That looks super fun. No one I know likes dexterity games except me though :(

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

theironjef posted:

Sadly they're "heroic scale" like 50mm and up, so they probably won't make good swap models for most wargame stuff.

That change makes me less interested, not more. :/

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

malkav11 posted:

That change makes me less interested, not more. :/

Oh, okay. I'll let them know.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

theironjef posted:

Holy poo poo the artwork is competent

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

S.J. posted:

Holy poo poo the artwork is competent

Yeah, as far as I'm aware this isn't made by GTG so it's not the usual gaggle of slowly improving artists that brought us the Ra deck.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

theironjef posted:

Yeah, as far as I'm aware this isn't made by GTG so it's not the usual gaggle of slowly improving artists that brought us the Ra deck.

Gaggle? It was literally one guy.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I always found the dubious art quality kind of charming. :shobon:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Agrias120 posted:

I always found the dubious art quality kind of charming. :shobon:

It’s honestly fun watching him improve over the years.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

potatocubed posted:

This looks really interesting. A group of my friends just started playing D&D and as the self-nominated DM, much to the relief of everyone else, I'm learning the ropes of that role while they learn the ropes of their characters.

Having some fun one off dungeons/stories is just what my party needs when they invariably veer away from the main story.

Backed! I hope you all make boatloads of $$$.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Numinous posted:

Backed! I hope you all make boatloads of $$$.

Same and same!

Would love some content about how the different designers approached constructing their adventures, if you need some filler for updates.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

potatocubed posted:

This looks like a really cool idea. I hope it's a good map!

Nah, I know it'll be really cool. Backed!

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
Anyone got any flags or hype for the frostpunk Kickstarter? I liked the pc game and since it's Poland the p&p won't be crippling so I'm tempted.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Subjunctive posted:

Same and same!

Would love some content about how the different designers approached constructing their adventures, if you need some filler for updates.

Thank you, thank you.

I specifically told the designers not to start until I had the money to pay them, so there's very little behind-the-scenes stuff to share. That said, a couple of them have written their pieces already and Dr Hancox-Li has done a Twitter write up of her design thoughts, so I could probably do something with that.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

by.a.teammate posted:

Anyone got any flags or hype for the frostpunk Kickstarter? I liked the pc game and since it's Poland the p&p won't be crippling so I'm tempted.

The game looks pretty cool (there are playthrough videos up, also a TTS demo if you want to try it) and very brutal. My main concern is that it really seems to be a solo game with very vestigial coop features and that's fine if you play a lot of solo games, but I don't and it's a bit pricey for that. They did announce "leader" characters for coop at some point, along with the distributed admin they talked about early on, so maybe that will help. I ended up backing it, but I still have terrible visions of it sitting unplayed on my shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

L99's Sakura Arms is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/sakura-arms

A part of me is getting it so that they will hopefully release Tragedy Looper too :(