Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Yennefer is very much a "deliberately-break-your-toys-now-and-apologise-later" person. She destroys a priceless artifact and ruins a holy-place just to acquire a handful of information that you probably could have learned about elsewhere on your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kennel posted:

In Witcher 1 Yen is even less important than in W2. She's barely mentioned at all.

Triss actually moves in on amnesiac Geralt by insinuating that she is the mysterious sorceress that used to be his lover.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Kit Walker posted:

Also, while it is missable, the final romance quest for Yennefer is really good and I’d have had to have a heart as cold as ice to reject her at the end of it

Having Yen declare her love first is one of the most spectacularly cruel things I've ever seen a video game do and I applaud CDPR for doing it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A little thing that's a missed opportunity towards the end of Rogue Galaxy (currently halfway through chapter 12, got half of the drigellums)

I'd have preferred if the barrier robot made had trapped Mother in the plaza, so that you could talk to her through the shield like the viggo painting in the Ghostbusters videogame.
Just "So, you really want to kill me huh? Ruuuuude."
"Your dad died? That sucks. Oh well, I'll reunite you soon."
"You got first place in the Insectron tournament? Niiiiice."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The open-world from Mass Effect 1 was piss-poor and so bad it drove me to stop playing forever given it's numerous issues. Yet at the same time people lamented its removal from the sequels and felt that while the concept wasn't done properly, it did deserve another look-through. I really liked the vehicle levels of Mass Effect 2 because they broke up the cover-shooting, had appealing scenery, and made the galaxy feel big but without any time-wasting. I feel like the mission and hub-design of ME2 could be repeated again to great effect, but with a level-replay and without the missable collectibles and planet-scanning.

What other concepts weren't very good in their usage but really deserve a second-chance?

That's not even the only Mass Effect 1 thing that's in that box. I'd also put the really granular form of skill progression and its weapon customization there; they didn't work great, but they didn't deserve to just be abandoned.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Weapon modding and more skill progression came back for ME3.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

When you jump out of the Mako and shoot a Geth Colossus to death with your pistol for bonus xp

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Yennefer is very much a "deliberately-break-your-toys-now-and-apologise-later" person. She destroys a priceless artifact and ruins a holy-place just to acquire a handful of information that you probably could have learned about elsewhere on your own.

yennefer has a very limited number of things in the world that she actually cares about and if she has to lend them aid then she does not give a single poo poo about collateral damage. ciri is right at the tippy-top of that list, so those gardens and that artifact never stood a chance

she's one of my favorite characters in the series, mostly because she's so prickly and opaque that nearly everyone in the game misreads her intentions, geralt included. ciri seems to be the only one who really "gets" her

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The only thing bigger than the chip on Yen's shoulder was the hump on her back. Everyone can just go to hell except for a handful of people.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The Shame Boy posted:

I'm currently playing through Witcher 3 as sombody that played a bit of Witcher 2 but never 1, i am way more attached to Triss than i am Yennifer. Like i know Geralt and Yennifer supposedly have a past and all but i went to Skelleige and good GOD can you make Geralt the most clingy, desperate,lovey dubey dude of all time if you pick those dialog options. Like some of the ones that tell her how pretty she is or how nice she smells kinda come out of nowhere sometimes. I know he's kinda been looking for her a long time and all but considering all the other options you can take, even with some of the other sorceresses in the game. It just kinda sticks out you know?

I understand not liking it, but I thought it was cute tbh. Like, the fact that Geralt has dialogue options with Yennefer that are so different to how he talks to other characters immediately informs you on their relationship and how he feels about her.

It IS really annoying that she's (and Ciri for that matter) not in the first two games and barely mentioned and then the third game entirely hinges on the Geralt-Yen-Ciri stuff. It mostly works, but if you just dive right into the game it feels like you're missing a prologue chapter or something unless you do a lot of background research.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Lobok posted:

The only thing bigger than the chip on Yen's shoulder was the hump on her back.

Thats just Geralt :downsrim:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

The open-world from Mass Effect 1 was piss-poor and so bad it drove me to stop playing forever given it's numerous issues. Yet at the same time people lamented its removal from the sequels and felt that while the concept wasn't done properly, it did deserve another look-through. I really liked the vehicle levels of Mass Effect 2 because they broke up the cover-shooting, had appealing scenery, and made the galaxy feel big but without any time-wasting. I feel like the mission and hub-design of ME2 could be repeated again to great effect, but with a level-replay and without the missable collectibles and planet-scanning.

What other concepts weren't very good in their usage but really deserve a second-chance?

It was done very poorly but it had a perfect place in that space opera game..yeah the physics suck and driving through nothingness was full, but every so often you'd look up and see a swirling red sun right above you, casting a red glow over the entire world you're on, making you feel small as gently caress and goddamn if it didn't bring a sense of wonder to a game where a goal to attain is loving your crewmates.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

The Shame Boy posted:

I'm currently playing through Witcher 3 as sombody that played a bit of Witcher 2 but never 1, i am way more attached to Triss than i am Yennifer. Like i know Geralt and Yennifer supposedly have a past and all but i went to Skelleige and good GOD can you make Geralt the most clingy, desperate,lovey dubey dude of all time if you pick those dialog options. Like some of the ones that tell her how pretty she is or how nice she smells kinda come out of nowhere sometimes. I know he's kinda been looking for her a long time and all but considering all the other options you can take, even with some of the other sorceresses in the game. It just kinda sticks out you know?

Same, I found it really weird and jarring how he becomes an excited puppy around her. It ends up making sense when you learn about the spell later. When it's dispelled, you can turn her down and become normal again, which I was happy to do because she's annoying as heck. I'm on team Shani anyway.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

tripwood posted:

Same, I found it really weird and jarring how he becomes an excited puppy around her. It ends up making sense when you learn about the spell later. When it's dispelled, you can turn her down and become normal again, which I was happy to do because she's annoying as heck. I'm on team Shani anyway.

Nah, he's just like that. In one of the short stories he briefly gives up on trying to win Yennefer's love because a wizard (that she is also banging and is Geralt's rival) tells him that Witcher's can't genuinely feel emotions ands therefore what Geralt thinks he feels is just chemical reactions in the brain that he's ascribed meaning to and Geralt just immediately accepts this until she gets mad at him for being a dumbass.

Also Geralt wished for the spell in the first place

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Been playing a lot of Assassin's Creed Origins recently;

Oh, a weird blue meteor has fallen to earth, revealing a tomb! Looking inside, a fresco of a nearby giant sundial and the roman numerals XV under it "This number looks important!" says my man. Outside, figure the puzzle with the sundial after a couple false starts, run back to the tomb. A big glowing forcefield with an indistinct figure inside? Ok, 'Interact'.

Cutscene: the forcefield fades and a steampunk-looking gent (we are in ancient egypt remember) walks out and all but winks at the camera - a giant robot space bird appears in orbit (!!) and fires a bunch of giant swords made out of light around this guy and teleports him away.

Mission rewards: a clockwork sword, a fancy shield and a four-legged bird-camel.

I was What the gently caress was that all about?? Am I meant to recognise any of that? Did I do an end-game mission by accident?

Yes I have never played a Final Fantasy game and there was no indication there was any 'crossover' material in AC:Or

I'm still riding my bird-camel, though.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

christmas boots posted:

is just chemical reactions in the brain that he's ascribed meaning to

Is...is that not what emotions are :psyduck:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

This is great we're talking about. Not exactly the sharpest lightbulb in the drawer

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Reminder that the game is still set in a strange hybrid fantasy world. Doctors and alchemists might know about brain chemistry, but that doesn't mean everyone else does.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Also the Wizard in that story is very transparently trying to break Geralt’s spirit so whether or not his explanation makes sense logically is not the point

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's also pretty clearly not true. The "no emotions" spiel is just a convenient thing Witchers tell people to explain they have no emotional stake in their work.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

It's also pretty clearly not true. The "no emotions" spiel is just a convenient thing Witchers tell people to explain they have no emotional stake in their work.

The outright-abusive training they receive as children tends to leave them badly traumatised. Shutting down and pretending even to thenselves that they don't feel anything is one of the coping techniques.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

All Witchers are Raiden

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I mean you can clearly see Geralt getting angry. In the show, at least (no idea if it's 'canon', or if this is in the books) at one point he hasn't slept for some time and he's extremely irate about it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
IIRC it’s left pretty ambiguous what the exact situation is. There’s enough evidence to shoot down the idea that they don’t have any emotions but they generally seem to be a bit more muted and it’s never made clear how much of that is a deliberate act or whether that was a result of the mutations or trauma from the training.

I think it’s said somewhere that everyone responds differently to the trials and not everyone loses their emotions so that’s probably a decent indication that it’s more of a PTSD thing than an actual magical effect

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Morpheus posted:

I mean you can clearly see Geralt getting angry. In the show, at least (no idea if it's 'canon', or if this is in the books) at one point he hasn't slept for some time and he's extremely irate about it.

geralt is if anything the most sentimental of the surviving witchers despite insisting on the "no emotions" thing, and his compatriots give him endless poo poo over it

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

BioEnchanted posted:

Rogue Galaxy

whoa, this game loving ruled, did they re-release it someplace?

EDIT: oh, they put it on PS4? now if only someone would resurrect Steambot Chronicles...

LordSaturn has a new favorite as of 09:17 on Oct 26, 2020

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

You know that bit in Van Helsing where Dracula is screaming "i have no emotions! that makes me feel angry!"?

That's how Witchers roll.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_NmxgdYUpk

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
The Mako sucked in Mass Effect and people tricking themselves into thinking it was good led to it being included into Mass Effect Andromeda, the dumping ground of all bad ideas for Mass Effect.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
^^^^
this

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

We also have those people to thank for Andromeda's boring open-world exploration even though the fun parts about Mass Effect were the tightly scripted missions and setpieces.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Geralt and Yen are two century-old teens who insist that they cannot feel love so they blame a genie for their feelings because they're both incredibly immature

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Black Stones posted:

The Mako sucked in Mass Effect and people tricking themselves into thinking it was good led to it being included into Mass Effect Andromeda, the dumping ground of all bad ideas for Mass Effect.

Thinking about ME: Andromeda just angries up the blood. You're supposed to be exploring strange new worlds but instead of doing that you just exclusively go to places that people have already been to and have already established bases. Also for a whole new galaxy there's only one new alien race and you're once again dealing with ancient artifacts left behind by a precursor race.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Decrepus posted:

When you jump out of the Mako and shoot a Geth Colossus to death with your pistol for bonus xp

Slight correction, it was generally “run over the Colossus with the Mako and park on it, then jump out and shoot it while it convulses under the tires” for me. I did appreciate THAT part of Mako gameplay at least. Too bad thresher maws could only be dealt with by parking in one spot and bunny hopping their shots while firing (and popping out last second to get the kill by hand).

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!

The Shame Boy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bSk-8C76dc

The adoration for Yennefer is part of the lore/game. If something's dragging down Witcher 3 it's...

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

GTAV's clothing system. San Andreas was the last one I really played so maybe it's been long enough to forget, but I don't remember it so aggressively forcing your clothing options outside of missions where there's a plot reason. I feel like at least half the time I'll buy myself a spiffy suit, then the instant I start a mission I'm suddenly locked out of my wardrobe because Michael's gotta be wearing polo and khakies.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

GTAV loads new clothing whenever you switch to a character, but when it uses a different one in a cutscene, it pulls the last outfit used from when you were playing him. I learned this when Trevor showed up for his big dramatic near the end fallout with Michael still in full scuba gear from collecting nuclear waste.

e: wrong thread though obvs

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

My Lovely Horse posted:

GTAV loads new clothing whenever you switch to a character, but when it uses a different one in a cutscene, it pulls the last outfit used from when you were playing him. I learned this when Trevor showed up for his big dramatic near the end fallout with Michael still in full scuba gear from collecting nuclear waste.

e: wrong thread though obvs

I'm just mad that it won't let me change a lot of the time. I get it when Michael has to sneak in to a particular business, but there's no reason he shouldn't bike with his son in full dress suit :sigh:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

exquisite tea posted:

We also have those people to thank for Andromeda's boring open-world exploration even though the fun parts about Mass Effect were the tightly scripted missions and setpieces.

A lot of Andromeda was born from Bioware going 'let's try to do the things we did bad in ME1 well', and then literally every possible thing that could go wrong about that going wrong.

I actually did really enjoy a lot of the open world stuff in ME1, and was disappointed that it all disappeared in 2, but... wow, Andromeda did not make a good case for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I still can't believe the big twist in Andromeda was The bad guys mutating everyone into hybrid monsters. You know, exactly like all the husks
It wouldn't have been as bad if it weren't built up as this big mystery.