Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

There once was a man named Gold Roger, who was King of the Pirates

He had fame, power, and wealth beyond your wildest dreams!

Before they hung him from the gallows, these were the final words he said:

"My fortune is yours for the taking, but you'll have to find it first
I left everything I own in One Piece..."

Ever since, pirates from all over the world set sail for the Grand Line, searching for One Piece;

The treasure that would make their dreams come true!

YO!
Ya-yo, ya-yo!

Dreamin'! Don't give it up, Luffy!
Dreamin'! Don't give it up, Zolo!
Dreamin'! Don't give it up, Nami!
Dreamin'!
Don't give it, give it up, give it up, give it up
Give it up, give it up, give it up, give it UP!

Here's how the story goes, we find out
'bout a treasure in the Grand Line, there's no doubt
The pirate whose eye is on it, he'll sing
I'll be King of the Pirates, I'm gonna be King!

Ya-yo, ya-yo, ya-yo... oh-ho!

His name is Luffy!
That's Monkey D. Luffy!
Gonna be king of the pirates!
He's made of rubber!
How did that happen?
Yo-ho-ho, he took a bite of Gum Gum!

Ya-yo, ya-yo!

His name's Zolo, he's just like a samurai
And a L-A-D-Y, Nami's not shy
Usopp's doin' that marksman thing
Sanji's cookin', Chopper's doctoring!

Ya-yo, ya-yo, ya-yo, oh-ho!

Set sail for One Piece!
It's the name of the treasure
In the Grand Line!
Ya-yo, ya-yo...

Set sail for ONE PIECE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Alacron posted:

Super Robot Wars is a mecha anime mega crossover turn based stregy RPG game franchise with over fifty games. While the series has been almost exclusively a Japan only franchise due to licensing issues and general lack of interest in the west, they've recently ventured out into providing full English translations, ostensibly for the South East Asia market but with the side effect of making them very easy to import and play for English speakers the world over.

Also a fun fact, the lead translator, and some members of her team, are goons.

SRW owns and the new ones in english got some pretty good translations. Def worth playing.

Ariong posted:

First let me tell you where you can go to hear a long, exhaustive explanation of my political opinions. You know, just to make it sound as unappealing as possible.

They asked for an explanation and I'm trying to move this discussion away from this thread. I'm pretty sure most if not all posters here are uninterested in this. :shrug:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

"Post somewhere my mod buddy can probate you for it" sounds like a fun game but I'm not in the mood for it right now, thanks.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

So, how about them lakers

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

What does "Ya-yo" mean? Its sounds cool/funny but I have no idea what the pirate rappers are trying to tell me

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
yayo is cocaine. chi chi, get the yayo! We all remember the fun 80s movie Scarface

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

MonsieurChoc posted:

SRW owns and the new ones in english got some pretty good translations. Def worth playing.

They asked for an explanation and I'm trying to move this discussion away from this thread. I'm pretty sure most if not all posters here are uninterested in this. :shrug:

I know, I’m just joshing on how “long and exhaustive” was maybe not the best choice of words for convincing people to have a look. It wasn’t a bad post or anything.

Jamie Faith posted:

What does "Ya-yo" mean? Its sounds cool/funny but I have no idea what the pirate rappers are trying to tell me

I’ve never heard it but just from reading it it kinda sounds like a bad attempt to blend ya-har and yo? Maybe they thought using yo ho ho would be too obvious?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Someone please say something either positive or negative about Zack Snyder or Modern Warfare, I'm begging all you.

Just as you've mentioned it, I wrote an article yesterday about performative hostility towards the Snyder Cut and Baudrillard's work about the Gulf War.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
my prediction for the snyder cut is that it will come out and it probably will not be much better than the original cut and nobody's opinion of the movie will be particularly changed in any direction.

e: also most people won't even watch it

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 25, 2020

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I have never watched a Zack Snyder film and so have literally no opinion about his movies.

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Only 10 pages in the new thread and we're already yelling at each other over Snyder. Terrific! :thumbsup:

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIcbJn-RylQ

Here's a video on the history of Falcom who are somewhat quietly making a lot of the best JRPGs around.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I don't really have anything to add but I enjoyed reading that!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Srice posted:

I don't really have anything to add but I enjoyed reading that!

Same

Jamie Faith posted:

Only 10 pages in the new thread and we're already yelling at each other over Snyder. Terrific! :thumbsup:

We can go back to falsely equivocating Biden with Trump again, if you'd like

Edit: Actually gently caress it, let's combine the two, let's burn this thread down

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/1317315623731351552?s=20

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Jamie Faith posted:

There once was a man named Gold Roger, who was King of the Pirates

He had fame, power, and wealth beyond your wildest dreams!

Before they hung him from the gallows, these were the final words he said:

"My fortune is yours for the taking, but you'll have to find it first
I left everything I own in One Piece..."

Ever since, pirates from all over the world set sail for the Grand Line, searching for One Piece;

The treasure that would make their dreams come true!

YO!
Ya-yo, ya-yo!

Dreamin'! Don't give it up, Luffy!
Dreamin'! Don't give it up, Zolo!
Dreamin'! Don't give it up, Nami!
Dreamin'!
Don't give it, give it up, give it up, give it up
Give it up, give it up, give it up, give it UP!

Here's how the story goes, we find out
'bout a treasure in the Grand Line, there's no doubt
The pirate whose eye is on it, he'll sing
I'll be King of the Pirates, I'm gonna be King!

Ya-yo, ya-yo, ya-yo... oh-ho!

His name is Luffy!
That's Monkey D. Luffy!
Gonna be king of the pirates!
He's made of rubber!
How did that happen?
Yo-ho-ho, he took a bite of Gum Gum!

Ya-yo, ya-yo!

His name's Zolo, he's just like a samurai
And a L-A-D-Y, Nami's not shy
Usopp's doin' that marksman thing
Sanji's cookin', Chopper's doctoring!

Ya-yo, ya-yo, ya-yo, oh-ho!

Set sail for One Piece!
It's the name of the treasure
In the Grand Line!
Ya-yo, ya-yo...

Set sail for ONE PIECE!

I wonder how 4Kids would have handled Thriller Bark

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think that’s the problem, even if you look at it in the most positive light, it’s still a character that most of the time exists to be owned.

If you want to play to that fine but you aren’t going to convince anyone. No one likes to be strawmanmAned and that’s what this is.

Okay, yeah I do think that's fair. I started watching the Voting video to see the context for her Tabby tweet and the setup of that one in her own words is "a conversation with the communist twitter catgirl who lives in my brain". So even when she acknowledges the points "Tabby" raises, they do still exist for her to ultimately knock down as part of her wider justification for voting a certain way, reducing Tabby's concerns and character to points that must be rebutted.

Jamie Faith posted:

I genuinely welcome Snyder arguments over meditating on political nihilism.

[Someone in the back of the audience readies a rock to lob about how "those are the same thing" and I send Goombella out to headbonk them before they can start]

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 25, 2020

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Let's talk about fesh pince instead

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVMyxJiA9Cg

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Nuns with Guns posted:

It is my aggressively-held opinion that Captain Price wears a dorky grandpa fisherman hat.

Bucket hats are very ''in'' right now I'll have you know.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I can't fathom the desire for a director's cut of Justice League when you can just watch Shazam and Birds of Prey a second time. It takes less effort to make a new good work of art than it is to fix an inherently bad work of art.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtLBg4wrv48

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Casey Finnigan posted:

my prediction for the snyder cut is that it will come out and it probably will not be much better than the original cut and nobody's opinion of the movie will be particularly changed in any direction.

e: also most people won't even watch it

This was what I thought until I heard that he's adding Jared Leto's Joker in. That's a powerful commitment to...something. Probably not something good, but something.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Junpei Hyde posted:

phillip banks phillip banks phillip banks phillip banks phillip banks phillip banks phillip banks

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It takes less effort to make a new good work of art than it is to fix an inherently bad work of art.

See, this is the kind of response that fascinates me - you must accept this is a somewhat unorthodox position to take?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I can't fathom the desire for a director's cut of Justice League when you can just watch Shazam and Birds of Prey a second time. It takes less effort to make a new good work of art than it is to fix an inherently bad work of art.
Even if works I do not like, I can always empathize with the desire to expunge Wedon. Surely you can understand.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

josh04 posted:

See, this is the kind of response that fascinates me - you must accept this is a somewhat unorthodox position to take?

"Effort" might be the wrong word, but trying to edit a terrible movie into being good is going to be harder than just shooting a good movie in the first place.

If you're Zack Snyder, both are equally impossible.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

buddhist nudist posted:

"Effort" might be the wrong word, but trying to edit a terrible movie into being good is going to be harder than just shooting a good movie in the first place.

I feel like this statement really underestimates just how incredibly important the editing process is wrt film-making.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

buddhist nudist posted:

Haven't we seen several movies saved or more often murdered in the editing process. Specifically in videos shared on this very thread?

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

A good edit can make a film wonderful, but there has got to be the raw footage there to do something with.

Like, nothing on the edit can save the Amazon's section from their awful armor.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Junpei Hyde posted:

I rewatch that show p much every year and outside of the S1 growing pains it is solid gold.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Srice posted:

I feel like this statement really underestimates just how incredibly important the editing process is wrt film-making.

You can only edit a film with existing footage. Like sometimes you have wizards who make A New Hope, but you usually don't.

And the Snyder cut relies on Snyder making good movies which he objectively does not do.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
"You can't polish a turd" is a pretty common mindset they drill into your head pretty quickly in most creative settings, honestly.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

buddhist nudist posted:

You can only edit a film with existing footage. Like sometimes you have wizards who make A New Hope, but you usually don't.

And the Snyder cut relies on Snyder making good movies which he objectively does not do.
So then how is his effort wasted. It's not like Snyder or his production studio will make good movies otherwise even when working on new projects.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

buddhist nudist posted:

It's pretty rare for a movie to not have a heck of a lot of unused footage. A New Hope isn't even an exception to the rule. It's the norm.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Terrible Opinions posted:

So then how is his effort wasted. It's not like Snyder or his production studio will make good movies otherwise even when working on new projects.

I don't care of that's what he want to work on but y'all thinking he's gonna finally make his first.goot movie by recutting a bad one is adorable.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

JustaDamnFool posted:

Bucket hats are very ''in'' right now I'll have you know.

Get ready for bead, grandpa, it's past 4 o'clock!

Continuing the discourse about the current American election cycle Some More News has dropped a video on historical and current day racism, the rise of fascism, and the tensions around the election:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKgyOOU8moc

Also as a chaser, Sohla made scary candy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xtuczh5y68

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Srice posted:

It's pretty rare for a movie to not have a heck of a lot of unused footage. A New Hope isn't even an exception to the rule. It's the norm.

These two sentences are direct contradictions

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

buddhist nudist posted:

I don't care of that's what he want to work on but y'all thinking he's gonna finally make his first.goot movie by recutting a bad one is adorable.
I don't think that. I don't even like most Snyder movies, I just think performative hostility to the idea of people who like it getting what they want is weird. Especially given that the stuff they like was legitimately harmed in one of the most extreme ways I can think of for a work of art, having Whedon added to it half way through production.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Terrible Opinions posted:

I don't think that. I don't even like most Snyder movies, I just think performative hostility to the idea of people who like it getting what they want is weird. Especially given that the stuff they like was legitimately harmed in one of the most extreme ways I can think of for a work of art, having Whedon added to it half way through production.

Don't forget that lot of scenes that featured Ray Fisher (who played Cyborg) and other actors of color were cut or reshot for the theatrical cut.

That's genuinely more upsetting to me than, like, not seeing Darkseid or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

buddhist nudist posted:

These two sentences are direct contradictions

I'm not sure how since A New Hope's original rough cut supposedly had a good amount of scenes not present in the final cut?