Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Apart from the draw distance it felt pretty good to play KBM with the port.

It’s a legit good game and as said above, you can extend the draw distance if you’re playing the Nightdive port

Turok 1 was my first 3D FPS and it felt very smooth even on N64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah I was 8 when Doom came out so having kid friendly versions didn't make much sense.

Yeah the thing is they want to play it because they're not allowed to play it. Having a kid-friendly clone, even if it was equally as good, loses that appeal. Like how everyone hated the SNES port of Mortal Kombat that removed the fatalities and replaced the blood with sweat. Doom is obviously a solid game on its own merits, but the gore and satanic elements that made all the moral guardians panic were a major factor in turning it into a megahit, which is why all the games copying it doubled down on those elements rather than stripping them out. "Your mom hates this" is a very effective marketing tactic to teenagers because teenagers all hate their moms.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

site posted:

Fwiw the night dive ports let you turn on extended draw distance

I'm very stupid. I never finished so maybe I'll give it another go once I finish with Amnesia 2.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

the Turok games were honestly some hosed up poo poo and it's kind of hilarious that like 75% of my generation played at least one of them as a small child because hey, Nintendo's the kid-friendly platform right? can't possibly be anything too bad in a Nintendo game!

meanwhile, Turok 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5hYUqN9X0Y

e: granted i also watched Robocop at age 3 and was looking at hosed up poo poo on Newgrounds by 7-8 so I might have just had a uniquely bizarre childhood

It was definitely amazing to see, on the N64 of all places, a game where enemies were blown in half, thrashing about in agony, and also having their brains drained, Phantasm-style, before having their heads blown off.

It was also disappointing that the Cerberal Bore wasn't a one-hit-kill in Multiplayer :v:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Also Turok 1 had some super dope lategame weapons

The Spiral Swarm Missile Launcher kicked rear end and had such a good reload noise

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Today marks the release of a new version of a long-in-development Zandronum mod, notable for bringing a classic console game to the Doom realm.

Of course, I'm talking about Mortal Kombat Doom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w_JXlWLfMY

https://www.moddb.com/mods/mortal-kombat-doom-zandronum/downloads/mkiidoom-ver-284#downloadsform

Also, new decino vid from his yellow series of Doom explanations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_PZCgY74z0

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

HolyKrap posted:

I'm actually kind of surprised at the quality of Turok's animations though, those are really smooth for '98

SeANMcBAY posted:

Turok 1 had insane animations for early 97 as well. Miles better than Quake. I feel like that game deserves more credit.

I believe the secret sauce was Acclaim had an in house mocap studio so they mocapped everything.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

site posted:

Fwiw the night dive ports let you turn on extended draw distance

What's more it's explicitly on by default. I think except on lowspec Intel GPUs when in OpenGL mode.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I believe the secret sauce was Acclaim had an in house mocap studio so they mocapped everything.

I knew about the mocap studio being used in Turok, I was mainly talking about the non-human stuff in T2, like the raptors writhing around here. Is that something that can still be mocapped and then used by animators? The limb movement seems really convincing

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can only adapt motion data so far when you're trying to animate a rig too different from the body you're capturing, and nothing alive today is really shaped like a velociraptor, so it's probably hand-animated. It looks good because it's a quick animation by a skilled artist.

The non-raptor enemies later in the video could be human data, though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

is there a list anywhere of the recommended order of maps to go to in arcane dimensions for quake? the hub thing is neat, but since i'm joining in after more than a few updates it's kind of difficult to 100% know what i should be generally aiming for.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Johnny Joestar posted:

is there a list anywhere of the recommended order of maps to go to in arcane dimensions for quake? the hub thing is neat, but since i'm joining in after more than a few updates it's kind of difficult to 100% know what i should be generally aiming for.

I don't think so, I was looking for one myself not too long ago and couldn't find it. Kind of annoying since the maps vary so much in difficulty and length, though it doesn't really matter since there is no progression between maps besides the runes which you can find the locations of in the readme. Tbh I'm not sure what the logic is for how the maps are laid out in the hub. Like why do the remix maps get top billing in the first hub while other great original maps are shunted to the second one? Not that the remix maps are bad just that they're kind of a little diversion compared to some of the sprawling mega-maps. I should have been taking notes during my last playthrough because I probably could have come up with a halfway decent list.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Johnny Joestar posted:

Do all the maps in the first hub, then move on to the chapters hub, I guess. There are some runes to collect & an end map in the first hub - You can see which maps contain hidden runes by a little rune-decorated stone sign somewhere outside the map entrance.

Some maps are larger than others. The really big adventure maps are Foggy Bogbottom, Tears of the False God, The Forgotten Sepulchre, and Leptis Magna, so you might want to space those out. Don't overthink it, just play.

koren fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 25, 2020

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
I just did the remake of the first level of Quake and it spit me out at E1M2 instead of the hub. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get back to the hub(s) from there with my progress intact if that's even possible, so uh, watch out for that I guess.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

sounds good. i'll check out ones that seem neat. i'm usually just used to there being at least some sort of 'intended' path, but just doing whatever is fine by me.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Lork posted:

I just did the remake of the first level of Quake and it spit me out at E1M2 instead of the hub. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get back to the hub(s) from there with my progress intact if that's even possible, so uh, watch out for that I guess.
'changelevel start' in console

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

koren posted:

'changelevel start' in console
That did the trick, thanks! I was only familiar with the 'map' command, which gets you there but doesn't keep your progress.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/Bridgeburner4/status/1320278709224394752

:how:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

HolyKrap posted:

I'm actually kind of surprised at the quality of Turok's animations though, those are really smooth for '98

That skidding oversteer thing that enemies do while they're running in circles is still pretty good to look at.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Plan Z posted:

That skidding oversteer thing that enemies do while they're running in circles is still pretty good to look at.

yes

also shooting a guy one hundred times with an explosive weapon after death so they just go UWAGGHHH AGGHHHH WAAAAAAHGHH while bouncing around

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
On the topic of kid-friendly fps games, you'd be looking for a game that imitates a game which is popular with 'mature' audiences, studies why it works and then translates that into something that's cartoony and friendly rather than grim and dark.

Fortnite is the Chex Quest of our time, is what I'm saying. And it seems to be doing pretty well for itself.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
my folks were the kind that wouldn't let us watch/play inappropriate stuff as kids so Doom was completely out of the question when it first released but then a while later the Simpsons Doom mod that replaced all the character/item graphics and sounds came out and once it was less horrific/gory it was fine to kill and be killed by beloved cartoon characters

i remember around that time i had a nightmare that a friend and i had snuck onto the computer and played it when my parents weren't around and because we had no idea what we were doing we died and the Doom guy's face from the HUD came out of the monitor to get its revenge on me

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I remember watching one of my older sisters play Wolf3D and Doom when she'd come and stay with us, but not being allowed to play it. The a couple years later I'd get told off for playing "violent games" like the demos of MechWarrior2 and Fury3, but it was totally fine for us to play Mortal Kombat. We weren't allowed to watch Power Rangers or TMNT either.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sobatchja Morda posted:

On the topic of kid-friendly fps games, you'd be looking for a game that imitates a game which is popular with 'mature' audiences, studies why it works and then translates that into something that's cartoony and friendly rather than grim and dark.

Fortnite is the Chex Quest of our time, is what I'm saying. And it seems to be doing pretty well for itself.

Fortnite is nothing like Chex Quest. First because Chex Quest wasn't popular at all in countries that didn't have that brand and second because it uses a F2P model that encourages kids to get cosmetics and other microtransactions to be as cool as the other kids. The cartoony looks of it at the other hand made it easier to digest for most parents that thought being "free" wouldn't be a problem.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/FSouchu/status/1320302439413710848

Cool.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
how

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

In the original game you can accomplish something like this with middle textures, or use a sprite; however this looks like a port. Difficult to know in a flat image

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah there are hundreds of f2p fps games that aren't bloody or gory because they want to rent guns and sell anime skins to children and teens so they need that T or equivalent rating, Fortnite is just the most well known. Those are today's equivalents of Chex Quest or Nerf Arena Blast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfmaf_2iVys

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 25, 2020

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Szymanski posted:

In the original game you can accomplish something like this with middle textures, or use a sprite; however this looks like a port. Difficult to know in a flat image
Bridgeburner and his Discord community are very GZDoom oriented, so odds are this is a 3D model designed to blend in with the environment.

Hot drat, impressive!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
That Strife: VE update is out today right?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The imps look very :haw:.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The more I watch it, the more I dig it. This would look awesome in one of these portable emulation consoles they sell on AliExpress :haw:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Guillermus posted:

The more I watch it, the more I dig it.

Same I was thinking man I'd buy an original game that looked like this.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Strife is out on Switch for anyone else that was looking forward to it there.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I always found it pretty funny that most of the guns in Fortnite are actually bog standard shooter staples. Shooting someone in the face with a SCAR is ok as long as they're a cartoon character.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rocket Pan posted:

Extra fresh because I only just now got the emailconfirming the final regions:
https://twitter.com/Rocket_Pan_/status/1318359969931030529
If I buy this enough times will you guys figure out how to make System Shock happen on the Switch too?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Is there a mod/how would I make a mod/could someone make a mod that enforces wand start for Heretic? Like removes all your weapons and inventory for each new level?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Don't you just use the map change console command for that? I suppose it doesn't carry over hp, but once you remove weapons/ammo/inventory what else is there that's persistent?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

yeah i can do that but i'd prefer if it were an automatic thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I admire people that like to play with pistol starts. It's something that I can't do at all, and I can subject myself to horrible grinds in videogames, but I'll always hate when I lose my weapons and items.