Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I've been co-oping with my brother on PC, and this has been really good so far! It's my first proper "Souls-like" (I know the use of this term is a sticking point for people when describing Remnant). The mechanics and shooting have been solid and engaging; we finished Rohm by taking down the Undying King and just started swamp world. I've been leaning heavily on one set of weapons and armor though; I've upgraded all my weapons equally but favor the Hunting Rifle, which is just extremely useful. As far as armor goes I've been using the Drifter set, which suits my playstyle well because I'm constantly sprinting and dodging; we haven't really found anything else other than the Akari set.

The randomization is really cool, and Adventure Mode is a neat idea for letting you see everything you might have missed. For future reference, where's the Assault Rifle? That sounds like it's totally my jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Grimthwacker posted:

I've been co-oping with my brother on PC, and this has been really good so far! It's my first proper "Souls-like" (I know the use of this term is a sticking point for people when describing Remnant). The mechanics and shooting have been solid and engaging; we finished Rohm by taking down the Undying King and just started swamp world. I've been leaning heavily on one set of weapons and armor though; I've upgraded all my weapons equally but favor the Hunting Rifle, which is just extremely useful. As far as armor goes I've been using the Drifter set, which suits my playstyle well because I'm constantly sprinting and dodging; we haven't really found anything else other than the Akari set.

The randomization is really cool, and Adventure Mode is a neat idea for letting you see everything you might have missed. For future reference, where's the Assault Rifle? That sounds like it's totally my jam.

The Assault Rifle (and the Cultist starting trait if you didn't pick that as your starter class) are on Earth!

Early on it's kind of rough finding a really cool and unique armor to really take you away from the starter sets. Admittedly, it's a good thing when even the starter sets are strong in their own right! Getting some of the more fun and unique armors usually requires some luck for a first run through or a bunch of adventure runs in an area to get the right side dungeons. I personally recommend Earth so you can try and get Leto's Armor which is the ultra heavy armor of the game that makes you an absolute tank. Fantastic for melee builds and flopping on fools.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Plus if you wear that armour, your coop buddy gets to make fun of you flopping around all over the place.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

odiv posted:

Plus if you wear that armour, your coop buddy gets to make fun of you flopping around all over the place.

That's just jealousy. People love the flop, they just don't want to use it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

SaffronKit posted:

That's just jealousy. People love the flop, they just don't want to use it.

Flop is love. Flop is life.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Just popping in to say screw Xiillis. What a horrible fight, even in multiplayer. How do people do it solo?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Grimthwacker posted:

Just popping in to say screw Xiillis. What a horrible fight, even in multiplayer. How do people do it solo?

Repeater Pistol, damage mods and ammo boxes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Grimthwacker posted:

Most of the Rhom mods are very effective against them. Breath of the Desert is good for clearing out their projectile swarms and dealing brutal single-target damage, Veil of the Black Tear neutralises that same projectile-swarm attack and their corrosive grenades (letting you just stand still and hammer them with your main gun, occasionally dodging their staff swipes), and Beckon and Iron Sentinel give you respectable all-range automatic damage throughout the fight. Playing solo makes it much easier to do enough damage to escape their big charged 'gently caress you, everyone dies' attacks, too, especially with mods that do huge burst damage like BOTD.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I just finished the game. Hoo boy, that last boss was something. It didn't take long for us to figure how what to do; it was the execution that gave us trouble. Specifically hitting the barely visible target that does a whole mess of damage. It's a good thing I upgraded the Hunting Rifle a bunch (favorite weapon in the game!). For a mid-budget Soulslike, Remnant was really good! Any idea how the story DLC was, since that's supposed to be the "postscript"?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I like the area from the second DLC well enough. Some cool bosses. Though I do feel a bit bad going into villages and killing everyone.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

odiv posted:

I like the area from the second DLC well enough. Some cool bosses. Though I do feel a bit bad going into villages and killing everyone.

Yeah, it was one thing with the Rhom mutants being angry cannibals, but the rat people just having literal primary schools there instead of nothing but giant firepits and banquet tables made me cringe a little.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I got a little stuck on Ixillis, but that's mostly because I was using Sporebloom + hunting pistol. I ended up swapping out sporebloom for the shotgun with the mender's aura for popping the wisp things. When they started charging up their scream, I switched to the hunting pistol with the hot shot mod, 2 shots in 1 guys head stunned him, and then I got 1 shot off in the other guy's head and took some minor damage from the scream.

I think its easier to burn down 1 guy first, especially if you have DoTs like the Devastator or Hot shot mod.

There's a lot of points in this fight where you're free to pop consumables/hearts to keep your health up, and then its just a matter of shoot down wisps, dodge bug clouds, don't get lasered off the bridge.

edit: this game has the worst last boss of any game I've ever played ever. Where do I go to just grind and brute force it?

also I hate those fireballs. I spent like 15 minutes googling why they 1 shot me and every single guide is all 'just dodge the fireballs, its super easy!". Only 1 guide accidentally mentioned you don't need to dodge them if you're far enough away. Turns out I was too close to the boss, and theres an "instant death" radius where its impossible to dodge far enough fast enough because I've been using a shotgun/hunting pistol this whole time, which is apparently, wrong.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 22, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The last boss isn't so bad. Just wait until you end up in the shadow-world, kill as many Root as possible before heading to the exit (your shotgun and the Mender's Aura will help with this), and then blast away with your Hunting Pistol and Hot Shot mod from a safe distance until you crack its chest open and can start doing insane damage to the weak spot inside.

Only thing you might want to do is buy some ammo crates. They're not mandatory, but they're very useful in any boss fight with unreliable ammo refills.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 23, 2020

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

The last boss isn't so bad. Just wait until you end up in the shadow-world, kill as many Root as possible before heading to the exit (your shotgun and the Mender's Aura will help with this), and then blast away with your Hunting Pistol and Hot Shot mod from a safe distance until you crack its chest open and can start doing insane damage to the weak spot inside.

Only thing you might want to do is buy some ammo crates. They're not mandatory, but they're very useful in any boss fight with unreliable ammo refills.

yeah, the consumables are a pain in this fight. Mender's aura helps, but the void zone does a ton of damage so I go through a lot of blood potions too. You pretty much never need consumables on Normal difficulty until then so its just one more thing that makes it different from any other fight

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The final boss is extremely easy. The difficulty is figuring out what it wants you to do.

I like this game but you shouldn't add a brand new mechanic to the final fight. It should be a culmination of all the mechanics you've learned so far.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Inzombiac posted:

The final boss is extremely easy. The difficulty is figuring out what it wants you to do.

I like this game but you shouldn't add a brand new mechanic to the final fight. It should be a culmination of all the mechanics you've learned so far.

I absolutely had to look up the fight. The first couple times I got to phase 2 I just died instantly because I was trying to stay in range to shoot him and got insta-wasted by the fireballs. Really unintuitive to have a boss where you have to run way far away and wait for a stupid event that doesn't tell you in anyway way about getting a damage buff by killing things in the shadow realm or whatever. Terrible terrible final boss to an otherwise amazing and wonderful game. I got to the last boss on a second campaign in hard mode and just noped back to adventures and survival.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

SynthesisAlpha posted:

getting a damage buff by killing things in the shadow realm

Whoa what, I had no idea that was a mechanic. I thought the shadow realm enemies were just there to refill your ammo since you can't get any from the boss itself, coming at the cost of taking constant damage while you're in there. Good job communicating, game.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I think they eventually added a counter so you could see how many kills you had there?

Or it was there all along and I just didn't notice at first.

Changing it so everyone goes there instead of just one character was definitely a good thing. It was even more annoying before.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

odiv posted:

I think they eventually added a counter so you could see how many kills you had there?

Or it was there all along and I just didn't notice at first.

Changing it so everyone goes there instead of just one character was definitely a good thing. It was even more annoying before.

Oh the counter is there in the tiny part of the UI for your buffs/debuffs. And you might go "yep i killed 4 dudes in the place where i get hurt for staying too long, glad I got out of there quickly", since it does nothing to explain it to you and you might not even get close enough to the boss after to hit it because the fireballs are so stupidly deadly. I absolutely love this game and it's still just an awful terrible boss fight. Ixillis would have been a better final boss if you just reskinned it to be whatever the gently caress the last boss was supposed to be. That was the best and most fun challenge I had in the game and I felt a million times better after clearing it than I did the actual last boss.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Shooting the boss and seeing that it had a billion health and I did way reduced damage was all I needed to recognize there was a gimmick to be found, but the current indicator that you've found the gimmick isn't really up to the task.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Yeah I didn't notice that counter at all. All I could tell was that I was clearly dealing no meaningful damage at first, and then he sent me to the shadow realm, and then I could deal tons of damage. I figured it was just like an invulnerability phase or whatnot.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

The real target is very easy to miss in the mess of things that is the Nightmare. I guess if you were using a scoped weapon like the Sniper Rifle or Ruin you'd be able to make it out easier. Once that was figured out everything else was cake.

I'm doing a solo playthrough now and I've been getting a lot of interesting things that I didn't in the co-op one. The Stockpiler's Circlet is terrific and I don't think I'll ever take it off.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I think I stumbled into a build, I found Burden of the Follower, which lowers your rate of fire, but doubles mod power generation, then I realized I have Soul Anchor too, so my summons last twice as long and buff my damage. I put Beckon on my hunting pistol and pumped a ton of scrap into the cultist set. I keep reading that you used to be able to have like 5 skulls, when did they cap it at 2?

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

A Moose posted:

I think I stumbled into a build, I found Burden of the Follower, which lowers your rate of fire, but doubles mod power generation, then I realized I have Soul Anchor too, so my summons last twice as long and buff my damage. I put Beckon on my hunting pistol and pumped a ton of scrap into the cultist set. I keep reading that you used to be able to have like 5 skulls, when did they cap it at 2?

It was when they upped the individual skull health and damage - most summons got condensed

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

A Moose posted:

Yeah just two skulls but with the right build, they'll recharge before they expire.

With Good Boy, you don't have to play the game any more.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Just bought and started the game (picked up the DLCs too).

Beat, what I think is the first boss, Gorefist. You really gotta run around in this game compared to a souls one on bosses, my god.

I have my rifle and pistol and I can see that there is a coach gun and shotgun for sale. Are either of these better/more desirable than either the rifle or pistol?

I have three traits right now and I'm not sure how to get more. Should I just use my points in health/endurance/hunter skill for now?

The melee resist attachment I got from gorefist seems somewhat not useful. It seems that you don't want to me in melee range too often.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Vasler posted:

Beat, what I think is the first boss, Gorefist. You really gotta run around in this game compared to a souls one on bosses, my god.

I have my rifle and pistol and I can see that there is a coach gun and shotgun for sale. Are either of these better/more desirable than either the rifle or pistol?

I have three traits right now and I'm not sure how to get more. Should I just use my points in health/endurance/hunter skill for now?

The melee resist attachment I got from gorefist seems somewhat not useful. It seems that you don't want to me in melee range too often.

Play normally to get more traits - they're acquired by beating bosses and finishing quests.

Buy all the weapons as you unlock them - they're balanced real tight with each other and cater to different play styles you may like (like using a big damage slow ROF long gun to compensate for a high ROF low damage pistol)

Being in melee range happens more often than you'd think because some enemies run in and charge you; also beating on enemies in melee is fun and rewarding - melee can hit weakpoints for headshot damage.

Melee is interesting compared to Souls in that only defensive actions eat stamina, so you can keep swinging. Doing a neutral dodge into melee jumps into the 3rd heavy hit of the combo - a great way to stay on the offense.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I just found the most bizarre thing in this game. On Yaesha I found the red doe bell puzzle. Obviously I googled that poo poo to get the pattern, but the weird thing is that 0 guides that have the pattern show their work. Nobody says "oh yeah you find the pattern by looking here and here". Some guides say the journal is a red herring, but some say its in there, but they all somehow have the same answer. They can't have brute forced it. Nobody has a clue on how they got the answer.

did the devs just leak the answer since its apparently unsolveable?

also, does Burden of the Follower (100% mod power gen, -35% fire rate) increase the mod power gen from the cultist armor?

A Moose fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 25, 2020

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Vasler posted:

The shotgun is very good for close quarters combat. I like equipping the decoy weapon mod that you can get early on onto it so you can plow shots into targets while they're beating on the decoy. Every weapon you can get manages to be viable as long as you upgrade them; they all have their uses. Funnily enough though I haven't used the coach gun at all in my time playing; I should really try it out. You'll be able to get a submachine gun in Ward 13 after solving a bit of a puzzle which complements the Hunting Rifle excellently. If you went Hunter for your starting gear the Scrap Sword stays very good with upgrades; I used it exclusively and it's very well balanced.

Health and Endurance are always useful stats to upgrade early on but you should always keep some Trait Points on hand in case you get any new Traits while you're playing. You'll be able to find plenty of Tomes of Power in your travels along with leveling up normally.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

A Moose posted:

I just found the most bizarre thing in this game. On Yaesha I found the red doe bell puzzle. Obviously I googled that poo poo to get the pattern, but the weird thing is that 0 guides that have the pattern show their work. Nobody says "oh yeah you find the pattern by looking here and here". Some guides say the journal is a red herring, but some say its in there, but they all somehow have the same answer. They can't have brute forced it. Nobody has a clue on how they got the answer.

also, does Burden of the Follower (100% mod power gen, -35% fire rate) increase the mod power gen from the cultist armor?

The guy with the flute sitting on one of the statues plays the tune you're supposed to input.

edit: Oh, that's only for the first puzzle. Yeah regarding the journal one I'm not sure.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The coach gun is good. Less burst damage than the shotgun, but it's got a much higher overall rate of fire (especially once they changed the reload animation to always load both rounds) and better range and accuracy. It's generally a more balanced primary firearm that'll still do brutal close-ranged damage.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

A Moose posted:

The journal is pictographic - it's the code. The bells have symbols that match the song of lullaby symbols.

The code is always the same, the bells are randomly arranged each run.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

40 Proof Listerine posted:

The journal is pictographic - it's the code. The bells have symbols that match the song of lullaby symbols.

The code is always the same, the bells are randomly arranged each run.

ohhh, I got it, the key to the puzzle is in a second book that isn't always there according to a thread on the steam forums. The journal with the long bullshit story is a fake, and always spawns near the bells. That's loving stupid. the key in the real book has 1 note missing, but the missing note is always different. the bells themselves do not change position, so numerically its always the same order.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
I apparently have to fight Singe now.

Am I better off trying to kill him normally, or should I try to wreck his tail?

My gear is around +4 or +5 atm. Can't make my rifle stronger without hardened iron. This is my first playthrough and I'm still on Earth.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Vasler posted:

I apparently have to fight Singe now.

Am I better off trying to kill him normally, or should I try to wreck his tail?

My gear is around +4 or +5 atm. Can't make my rifle stronger without hardened iron. This is my first playthrough and I'm still on Earth.

killing his tail gives you a mediocre sword. Killing him normally gives you a fire SMG with a flamethrower mod

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

A Moose posted:

killing his tail gives you a mediocre sword. Killing him normally gives you a fire SMG with a flamethrower mod

I did the entire game with Coach Gun + the flamethrower gun so kill him in the way that gets you that gun it's amazing. Especially with Cultist set since it regens charges really fast.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I did the entire game with Coach Gun + the flamethrower gun so kill him in the way that gets you that gun it's amazing. Especially with Cultist set since it regens charges really fast.

How do I get the cultist set?

Some rando joined my game and ran me through the desert world, including slaying the bone king. I got a bunch of weapons but they really don't look better than my hunter rifle or the flame gun.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Vasler posted:

How do I get the cultist set?

Some rando joined my game and ran me through the desert world, including slaying the bone king. I got a bunch of weapons but they really don't look better than my hunter rifle or the flame gun.

I want to say you can buy all the starter armors you didn't pick from the blacksmith dude. Rigs I think? The trait you get with the Cultist start is from a side dungeon on Earth that also gets you the assault rifle.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 26, 2020

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Evil Kit posted:

I want to say you can buy all the starter armors you didn't pick from the blacksmith dude. Rigs I think? The trait you get with the Cultist start is from a side dungeon on Earth that also gets you the assault rifle.

You're right! I got the gear!

What's another good primary weapon? I'm having a tough time finding something more useful than my hunter's rifle. I have things like the assault rifle, sniper rifle, a devastator, an energy rifle (really low base damage on this) and ruin.

Are any of these worth investing in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I used the hunting rifle and then the sniper rifle before I settled on the crossbow. Probably didn't even need to use the sniper tbh, I still switch out the crossbow for the hunting rifle every now and again.

If it's working for you, keep using it.