Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Pavement wears out knobby tires pretty quickly. Who could have guessed?

I think I'll buy slightly less aggressive tires for next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
The stock Ducati handgrips aren't great, and I've wanted to try out the Vans grips for a bit, so I grabbed a pair and sliced off my stock ones.

I immediately had a hard time.

After spending like 20 minutes trying to get this thing on I texted a buddy of mine to bitch about how it's impossible. "Oh just cram like five zipties in there, it'll go right on."

And he was right.

Much more comfortable. And considerably more grippy.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

yep that's my trick too when I don't have compressed air to cheat. I put on some renthal full waffles awhile ago and forgot how great new grips feel :D

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Strife posted:

"Oh just cram like five zipties in there, it'll go right on."

I'm struggling to picture what this means

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Renaissance Robot posted:

If you put a bunch of long zipties into the barrel of the grip and slide it onto the bar, you don't have to worry about the friction between the grippy rubber and the bar, you're basically just sliding the plastic zipties over the handlebar. Then when the grip is in place, you can pull out the zipties.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

you put the zip ties inside the grip (parallel with the bar) surrounding the bar so that it gives the grip something to slide on while you position it on the bar. you then pull the zip ties out once you've got it where you want it and then fix it with safety wire or thoughts and prayers

e:f,b

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's pretty brilliant, honestly. That said, just use grip glue. It lubricates it when you put it on, then cures to keep the grips from shifting around in the future.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Coydog posted:

That's pretty brilliant, honestly. That said, just use grip glue. It lubricates it when you put it on, then cures to keep the grips from shifting around in the future.

I use unscented hairspray to do the same thing

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Grip glue is for hapless amateurs because it just turns into a huge messy fuckup if you ever want to get those grips off again, and it often ends up failing anyway.

If you use safety wire it makes you feel like an ultrapro, doubly so if you get grips with wire channels in them, and they will never ever move.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Strife posted:

"Oh just cram like five zipties in there, it'll go right on."

:stare: Shut the gently caress up.

How did I go so long and change so many grips without knowing this?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Did my last set of Oxford heated grips with the included super glue, they were fine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The worst part about grip glue is it often doesn’t set well enough to keep the grips from moving on the bar, but does set well enough to make them a total pain to get off.

The worst of both worlds

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Wait what. You can use wire or zip ties instead of glue on grips?

Gonna watch some YouTubes on this...

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Grips can come off? :confused:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zip ties to install, wire to keep them on :ms:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

my favorite part about safety wire is using a power drill to zip it all up nice and tight and then goosing it just once more to be sure and proceeding to break the wire, or worse the grip :D

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

right arm posted:

my favorite part about safety wire is using a power drill to zip it all up nice and tight and then goosing it just once more to be sure and proceeding to break the wire, or worse the grip :D

Rest assured this happens just as often when using the magic spinny twisting pliers, that last twist is just slower and more suspenseful.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The worst part about grip glue is it often doesn’t set well enough to keep the grips from moving on the bar, but does set well enough to make them a total pain to get off.

The worst of both worlds

I never ran into this issue until the pair of dealer-installed heated grips currently on my FZ09, and of course it's the throttle grip that's come loose twice. First time I got lazy and just put it back on with 3M spray adhesive, the second time I used actual grip glue (looks like black RTV, to be honest) and they've stayed on since.

If they weren't heated grips and I wasn't afraid of cutting into a wiring element I would've just used safety wire.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jazzzzz posted:

I never ran into this issue until the pair of dealer-installed heated grips currently on my FZ09, and of course it's the throttle grip that's come loose twice. First time I got lazy and just put it back on with 3M spray adhesive, the second time I used actual grip glue (looks like black RTV, to be honest) and they've stayed on since.

If they weren't heated grips and I wasn't afraid of cutting into a wiring element I would've just used safety wire.

I took my OEM heated grips and sliced the OEM rubbers off and installed the renthals (with grip wire) over them. I did do a piece of heat shrink over the heating elements to keep them in place while I slid the grips on. you’ll be fine if you just throw some wire on!

also, to get back on topic, I installed a 44t sprocket today. been running 42t forever, but I’m planning on a lot more, slower, off-road out here in the south / east coast since there’s less open spaces and far more cops (no need to do 160 on knobbies rated for 118mph lol)

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
These grips aren't heating elements on the bar/throttle tube, they're like the Oxtar ones that have the heating elements and controls built into the grip itself. Mother Yamaha <temple-tap.jpg>

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

yeah I get that. the KTM ones are the same. tube goes over the bar on the left side too. but you just take an exacto knife and slice the grip SHALLOWLY and peel it off the element and then you can slap the element on the bar (if you don't want to have to buy two sets of grips for two throttle sized ones). probably more work than its worth, but my grips were getting pretty worn and I absolutely love full waffles :D

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Finished the last of my mods for now. Enduro engineering skid plate, radiator braces and a true north moto xabr rack for my fe501

Just needs some more riding time and a first service and should be good for a while

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Razzled posted:

Finished the last of my mods for now. Enduro engineering skid plate, radiator braces and a true north moto xabr rack for my fe501

Just needs some more riding time and a first service and should be good for a while

What luggage are you using?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I like the white colorway. A lot

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Razzled, you did a really good job making all your mods matchy matchy with the blue/white/yellow/black colorway. Stunning bike. How is the headlight on it with the cool convex clear part?

Jazzzzz, I sing your praises every time I ride this hawk. It's such a wonderful bike and it's been so good to me. Got some much needed riding in on a roiling fall day here this weekend.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Put my bike into winter mode today. This meant taking the oil filter off with a screwdriver because I didn't buy the wrench, changing the oil, lubing the chain and finally putting it into storage at a friends garage.

I am somewhat sad, I love daily riding it and I am looking forward to taking her out of storage next year. No clue yet how I am going to make sure that salt season has passed, but as soon as I can be sure of that, I am back in the saddle.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I wait a couple good rains after the roads were last salted and then I send it.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
You can get a little light bike, with knobbies and studs for winter brappo.
You'd at least want a warm garage to work in if you start that project now though. + there is the whole deal with winter setup and gear.
Still I try to avoid salted roads as much as I can.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rode it to deliver to its new owner :unsmith:

Gonna miss that little 250.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Supradog posted:

You can get a little light bike, with knobbies and studs for winter brappo.
You'd at least want a warm garage to work in if you start that project now though. + there is the whole deal with winter setup and gear.
Still I try to avoid salted roads as much as I can.

I have considered it, but I have nowhere to tinker with a bike and really the risks during winter are a pretty big disuader as well. Insurance would be free tho.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

builds character posted:

What luggage are you using?

https://moskomoto.com/collections/rackless-systems/products/reckless-40l-system
dad likes their stuff a lot so i figure why not, it's been TAT tested and approved

Coydog posted:

Razzled, you did a really good job making all your mods matchy matchy with the blue/white/yellow/black colorway. Stunning bike. How is the headlight on it with the cool convex clear part?

thanks i think it looks good too, but i take no credit for it-- all these parts come this way from the vendors. the headlight is definitely better than the DRZ's stocker but it's not LED so a lot of people prefer swapping in LEDs like baja squadron pros.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Razzled posted:

https://moskomoto.com/collections/rackless-systems/products/reckless-40l-system
dad likes their stuff a lot so i figure why not, it's been TAT tested and approved

thanks i think it looks good too, but i take no credit for it-- all these parts come this way from the vendors. the headlight is definitely better than the DRZ's stocker but it's not LED so a lot of people prefer swapping in LEDs like baja squadron pros.

I have a pair of the squadron pros - if you do the Baja Designs headlight with those LEDs I would def recommend hooking it up to a dimmer if you're dual sporting this thing. They're bright as gently caress and will blind anyone coming the other way

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just toss a cyclops 10k in there. A bulb so good I purposely removed it from my grom 20 minutes before I sold it.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Agreed, no regrets on my Cyclops 10k either. Works fine with the original reflector and everything.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Get one of these: https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/XL80-Motorcycle-Lighting.asp it is in no way street legal but it’s like you flip a switch and the sun is back on. I’ve been forced to ride with it on roads a couple times for a few miles coming back from races and cars pull over if you’re behind them to let you by.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Be nice if they came in plain round; the power of 7-8 regular headlights in one 5.75" circle would be obscene :D

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Be nice if they came in plain round; the power of 7-8 regular headlights in one 5.75" circle would be obscene :D

They make that.

Coydog posted:

Just toss a cyclops 10k in there. A bulb so good I purposely removed it from my grom 20 minutes before I sold it.

Ulf posted:

Agreed, no regrets on my Cyclops 10k either. Works fine with the original reflector and everything.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

They make that.

I have had a cyclops and it is not even remotely the same. Cyclops 10k is still very good and what most folks should get because it’s not $500 and is street legal and doesn’t make you the tremendous rear end in a top hat who has a tiny sun attached to their bike.

If you want a round look: https://www.motocrossgiant.com/Baja_Designs_ElectricStart_Double_8_inch_Racelight_p/61-0013.htm

builds character fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 26, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have a Cyclops 10k in my bike and last halloween I was riding it slowly through the Castro while dressed up as Duke Caboom and a guy jumped out in front of me and started yelling that my headlight was illegal and blinding everyone and he was going to go the the police with my license number and why are you such an rear end in a top hat with an illegal headlight. His drunk wife had to pull him away and tell him to let it go.

A+ product overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

I have a Cyclops 10k in my bike and last halloween I was riding it slowly through the Castro while dressed up as Duke Caboom and a guy jumped out in front of me and started yelling that my headlight was illegal and blinding everyone and he was going to go the the police with my license number and why are you such an rear end in a top hat with an illegal headlight. His drunk wife had to pull him away and tell him to let it go.

A+ product overall

This is an excellent sales pitch and I have now bought one :toot:

I just remembered I'd meant to fish the older gen cyclops out of my ZZR along with a few other things, after it got stolen and recovered but before it got torched. The halogen that came with my W800 has been adequate for the last two winters so I hadn't really thought about upgrading, I guess the fizz finally went out of it like it always does eventually though because I couldn't see a thing on the way home last night, barely even a yellow smear on the road in front of me.