Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Hipster Occultist posted:

Its also completely free assuming you already pay for Gamepass.

At a price of $0, I've been reasonably entertained doing the story stuff

yeah the wastelanders quests are pretty good, settlers are a bit flat but all the raiders are big personalities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

If you're on the free trial and doing single player stuff, you definitely shouldn't avoid the social aspects. You can join a Casual team with randoms on the server and not even play/talk with each other and still get benefits. Free fast travel points, stat/XP bonuses, some extra caps when teammates complete quests, some perks being enhanced if you're on a team, even if everyone's all over the map doing their own thing.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
Encountered a couple bugs, putting resolutions here for other new players:

Sound cutting out during character creation: there is an issue with microphone permissions when no mic is installed. Turn this off on pc under "microphone privacy settings" and restart.
Much like fallout 4, the game gets wonky when say your bluetooth headset dies. No real fix except keep your charge up.
Lacking a HUD/reticle/loot menu: try swapping fullscreen/windowed and restart from desktop. Took a couple go arounds for everything to show up

Despite the wonkiness, I'm having fun. Picking up garbage and crafting is kinda meditative zen, and the wastelanders npcs are pretty decent - similar to ESO vs. Skyrim. The holotapes are a good way of showing exactly how hosed the world is too. In as "HillbillyCommunism", planning on doing a shotgun/melee strong lad

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Grimoire posted:

Much like fallout 4, the game gets wonky when say your bluetooth headset dies. No real fix except keep your charge up.
F76 runs great for me but it does suck going from, say, Destiny 2, which runs amazing in a borderless window I can alt-tab to and from at any time and is cool with me plugging headphones in and out, to this. No excuse for this in 2020.

(F76 actually does run in a borderless window, just not very well for me)

Roman fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 22, 2020

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

76 doesnt run as good as 4 for me but ive come to realize a lot of that can come down to how old the server instance youre on can be

now i just server hop if im noticing frames stuttering too much

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

E3: Nevermind I'm a total idiot. Spent 2 hours troubleshooting all sorts of things but then I made an exception for F76 in my firewall and that was it, really should have been my first step. Thing is, the 3:0:5 error doesn't tell me this is a network connection issue, it just says it fails to link the accounts. They need to have some help text like "Check your network connection" as when you search for failed to link accounts, there are all sorts of problems that point to actual account linking issues between Steam and Bethesda which sent me down the wrong path.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 23, 2020

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Steel Dawn stuff
https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/art...e?sf131026603=1

quote:

Along with the new quests, the Steel Dawn Update will bring new NPCs, new locations, and new gear to the game. It will also add features, like C.A.M.P. Shelters, a host of rewards, including weapons, armor, and C.A.M.P. Plans, the return of the Holiday Scorched Seasonal Event, and a variety of additional gameplay improvements. If you own a PC copy of Fallout 76 through Bethesda.net, you can head to the Public Test Server right now to join us in playtesting and sharing your feedback on everything mentioned above.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"Scorch Season"

Ah, so it turns out that the plague is a seasonal thing and everything we've done to destroy it was meaningless

hooray!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
oh nm

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Doing the free trail. Are there any good new player guides or other tips?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I'm also keen for some early level advice. I'm level 14 and have specced into 3 star rifleman, gunslinger, and scrounge and am using pipe rifle, bolt action, and revolver primarily.

My understanding is that the pipe weapons benefit from both rifleman and gunslinger, and scrounge has me finding plenty of ammo.

Seems to be working pretty well so far mainly trying for sneak attacks.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 24, 2020

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

MH Knights posted:

Are there any good new player guides or other tips?

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I'm also keen for some early level advice.
There's a handful of YouTubers who provide good overviews, but I'd recommend 'Angry Turtle' (https://www.youtube.com/c/AngryTurtle/videos) who provides general starting guides along with strong builds, weapons, perks, etc..

He just posted a new video to help new players during the free weekend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ44C8lYdXU

Also, his accent may trigger ASMR in some people.

Edit: Be wary of any builds/guides from longer than a month ago, as Bethesda has recently changed how a lot of perks & legendary effects work for buffing damage.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 24, 2020

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

im no build scholar but my back of the napkin advice is probably youll want to pick up all the damage perks associated with the weapon as you go up and probably at least 12 points in the respective SPECIAL stat (9 for the damage mods, 3 for some utility mod associated with the weapon)

str: melee, shotguns, heavy weapons
per: rifles
agi: pistols

you can kind of juggle weapon types as you go along starting out but by 30 maybe have one thing you want to focus on, then other perks can follow from there

endurance is probably the closest to a dump stat in the game, though at least 3 in every special is probably enough

power armor + heavy weapons is probably the easiest to play end game build but its a build thatll take you until maybe like level 30+ to really start doing unless someones hooking you up

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma8on5QArEc

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Two handed melee in pa is back to my apex build post changes. My two shot gatlin still packs a punch but my mini guns are all just ammo sinks now.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

So a huge step down from the wastelanders trailer.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Oh man I can't wait for when this comes out so I can kill a Super Mutant or fight a Behemoth! :v:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

But will they be the Brotherhood or Diet Enclave

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I'm playing fallout 76 for free and legitimately enjoying it please send help

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Thanks! I'm currently on my way to maxing out agility and have at least 3 in every special stat besides endurance which is still at 1. Seems to be going well so far with an anti armor hunting rifle and falling back onto my pipe weapons for trash enemies.

Discospawn posted:

Angry Turtle

Thank you! I appreciate this. It seems a little cheesy that you can just be walking around super mutants like that though and still getting sneak attacks. I've just completed the wayward quest and gotten myself that legendary hunting rifle and it's nice so far.

E: I'm playing from SEA so I assume due to a lower population the "level 400 giving a noob tons of free poo poo" effect is lessened somewhat since it's only happened to me once in 30 levels, but I just had a level 400 player give me like 12,000 rounds (about 4k each) of 10mm, .308, and .38 ammo which was pretty nice of them! Now to exchange it for caps and buy some poo poo.

E2: Also, this double XP must be messing with the level curve because I'm 30 and have only just made it to Grafton, only just completed the first part of Rose's quest (syringer + yao guai), and a lot of guides online make it seem like by level 30 I should be rolling in a full set of power amour. I've got a frame + 2 pieces and 1 fusion core, so...

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 26, 2020

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I never seem to have enough ammo or adhesive - any tips for that?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Manwithastick posted:

Buy what you can from player vendors, but dont pay more than 1 cap per. Craft your own using the ammo smith and superduper perks. Collect lead and steel scrap as you go along. Pick up gunpowder from supermutants.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Manwithastick posted:

You can grow adhesive by making vegetable starch out of corn, mutfruit, tatos and purified water, but in general be on the lookout for duct tape and wonderglue. If a lot of your adhesive usage is from repairs then Fix it Good and Weapon Artisan are also good perks to have and in a similar vein there are perks like Gunsmith and White Knight that reduce the rate that your stuff degrades. See if you can get into the Scorchbeast Queen event whenever it's up because that rewards several of the improved repair kits. Generally the fight will be outside of the nuke zone.

Like ZombieCrew said, pick up the Ammo Smith perk and Super Duper when you can (I think that one doesn't appear until level 50?). Also the Scrapper perk to get more from breaking down weapons and armor. It's also worth checking other player camps for an Ammo Converter so you can trade the ammo you don't want for points to buy the ammo you do want. Now with a 50% less annoying user interface!

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

E2: Also, this double XP must be messing with the level curve because I'm 30 and have only just made it to Grafton, only just completed the first part of Rose's quest (syringer + yao guai), and a lot of guides online make it seem like by level 30 I should be rolling in a full set of power amour. I've got a frame + 2 pieces and 1 fusion core, so...
Early on you're at the mercy of RNG and whether or not PA spawns where it can. There's one location I know of where it's guaranteed though.

Double XP is insane. I went from 197 to 237 this weekend and at this point I'm on just long enough do daily quests/challenges and get out.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ash1138 posted:

It's also worth checking other player camps for an Ammo Converter so you can trade the ammo you don't want for points to buy the ammo you do want. Now with a 50% less annoying user interface!

For those of you unfamiliar with some of the tricks of console interfaces from fo4, you can hit tab to go back a screen. This works for the ammo converter if you need to melt down smaller stacks of ammo as you can melt down X then go back a screen and melt another X down. It's quicker than going through the whole selection system again.

Fun tidbit: If you have a broadsider equipped when the Daily Ops boss dies you'll get ~200 cannonballs, which have a rather good exchange rate. Only downside is that they weigh 1 unit each so make sure you start the op in a place where there is a converter.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I tried playing the game but apparently it only runs if you have it on your windows install drive?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

raverrn posted:

I tried playing the game but apparently it only runs if you have it on your windows install drive?
which one? I have fallout 76 on my second drive and it's fine. (on Steam)

Roman fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 27, 2020

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

In 76 I see a lot of names like "dfs087g98gf7sdf9g7sd9g8." Are those griefers or people being dumb and thinking usernames wouldn't matter in an online multiplayer social game
edit: or maybe bought on steam and didn't know it would show bethesda ID instead of steam name

Berke Negri posted:

some of it is foreign character conversions but idk
yeah you're probably right I was overthinking it

Roman fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 27, 2020

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

some of it is foreign character conversions but idk

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

raverrn posted:

I have it on my 4th drive that is necessary because I have a Steam addiction. Works fine tho.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015
What's the best way to quest w/ friends in this game? A friend and I started this game last night and even though we were teamed up, none of our quests stay in sync.

Also, which seems weird for an MMO, you don't seem to share NPC dialogue when teamed up, so many times one of us was talking to someone and the other had no idea what was going on, adding to our confusion.

It is very fun randomly wandering the wasteland with a buddy though!

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i dont think theres any group chats with quest npcs like in some games (SWTOR jumps to mind which only does this in multiplayer flashpoints and not individual quests) i think it mostly plays off the team leader in group instances which are a very minor thing

the base game quests which are very much besides the go do this thing also reading terminals and stuff figuring out what happened shoudlnt be a problem but many of the new quests with npcs yeah you'll be somewhat out of sync

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015

Berke Negri posted:

i dont think theres any group chats with quest npcs like in some games (SWTOR jumps to mind which only does this in multiplayer flashpoints and not individual quests) i think it mostly plays off the team leader in group instances which are a very minor thing

the base game quests which are very much besides the go do this thing also reading terminals and stuff figuring out what happened shoudlnt be a problem but many of the new quests with npcs yeah you'll be somewhat out of sync

That's really weird. So they made questing w/ friends even more awkward when they added NPCs?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i dont know an online game that does questing with friends well, tbh

but if you enter a quest instance as a group whatever the group leader decides is what you do (dont know if this effects your own personal quest situation never been in this) so i guess if youre partying with a friend talk out with them as youre doing the quest idk

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I did the Beckett quest chain with a friend and the final mission had us chosing different conversations resulting in very different outcomes with the two Becketts we had with us.

Afterwards I can only assume they argued about who got to have the goatee.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Roman posted:

In 76 I see a lot of names like "dfs087g98gf7sdf9g7sd9g8." Are those griefers or people being dumb and thinking usernames wouldn't matter in an online multiplayer social game
edit: or maybe bought on steam and didn't know it would show bethesda ID instead of steam name
yeah you're probably right I was overthinking it

This is a steam <> bethesda account thing yea

Strongboi melee/shotgunner just became a firebreather, got my first PA frame. The game even runs decent after a shitload of ini tweaks, killing godrays and sanity checking shadows really helped,

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Idle thought today had me wondering what I would want in a potential Fallout 5, and that kind of ballooned out. incoming :words:

I kind of feel like they should lean into things being 200+ years after the war. Make it about the societies that have sprung up since, about how they interact with the world, rather than dungeon looter shooter game 3 in the series. Have less shanty town chic and more actual building going on. The old world is still there, and its shadow still looms large, but the new world is sprouting itself as well.

Most people in the (intentionally left blank) wasteland don't know how the American government worked at this point, only having vague ideas that it was awesome and that commies were the enemies. What type of government it was, and what a commie was, is something only a few pre-war ghouls actually know, most other people have only speculation.

You are a vault dweller from a control vault, one that is just about to open its doors after ~225 years. Some poo poo went down in the vault, which other members will comment on, but it wasn't one of the super immoral vaults. You, being young and having decent skills, have been chosen as an explorer, sent to find resources and potentially other people in the wastes. Unofficially, at least in game, you are there to try and wrangle alliances from many of the different factions/settlements that are out there, and oh boy are there a bunch of them. For instance;

A city that is functionally communist, patrolled and guarded by pre-war Mr. Gutsys and Sentry Bots who spout anti-communist catchphrases. The people there don't know what a communist is, but they will also spout the same lines, just from hearing them so much. The area was a refugee camp immediately following the war, and the camp's leader wasn't a colossal dick, so set the bots to protect any civilians from looters or commies, but the robots don't know what a communist actually is either, they were just programed to shoot anyone in a Chinese uniform. A community popped up in the camp years later, with people working together to increase their chances of survival, and now, years later they don't see anything wrong with everyone pitching in to build a new building, or make sure everyone has enough food and water, and while everyone has a few things of their own most things are communal, since hey, Jim there spends his days making sure our water supply works and fixing the robots, least we can do to make sure he eats okay, right?

A technocrat bunker, where some scavengers found an old power armor production facility, and while they can't mass produce the stuff, every one of their (small) community has their own custom suit. And I'm not talking Atom Cats garage style paintjob and maybe a few mods, I'm talking proto-admech levels, with extra arms, rocket vents in the legs, stuff that clearly isn't just standard power armor. These guys try to do whatever they can with robots, and actually scratch make bots custom tailored to various jobs, not just repurposing Mr Handys or Protectrons or whatever. Happy to share their poo poo with you if you do the same with them.

Two types of Libertarians. One which is like the modern kind, who sit in lavish estates while profiting off their slave labor, bragging about having gotten to the top by their own efforts even as they clearly never did serious work or ever learned anything useful in their lives, claiming you owe them money for using their roads/trade routes the moment you first meet them. The other is just one dude who read Rand and came away from it with 'production is awesome and everyone should be free to do their own thing', so he kills any slavers he sees and tries to teach any freed slaves the joys of making things for themselves. That city is one of the only ones to look like a shanty town, a hellish mishmash of buildings that looks like a FO4 settlement made by someone doing stupid poo poo, complete with a 10 story junk tower there just because.

Several flavors of democracy, including a direct one, a more liberal one that isn't too corrupt, a blatantly corrupt one and the one that says it is a democracy but has a president for life.

A cult of personality.

The strongman dudes, who only follow the strongest dude. Officially name you the leader once you take down several deathclaws. Or after just one if you use your bare hands to do it.

Another open vault where the experiment involved cannibalism but the vault didn't fall to chaos, so now the latest generation has normalized cannibalism, turned it into a rite, and goes hunting for new sacrifices/food with a mezmetron. Maybe they've allied with Super Mutants as well.

A group that thinks civilization drags humanity down, that having walls to hide behind and regular food makes people soft, and want to make the world into a wild west style setting like they were used to.

Just a bunch of different groups doing different things, all of whom think theirs is the way America used to be since all they know is that pre-war America was amazing. Turn us loose on a bunch of groups and figure out for ourselves which would be good to hitch our people's horse to, which to ally with and which should be wiped out.

Also let your character talk to people about the poo poo they learn about in various pre-war locations and have them react with appropriate shock/disgust. Like finding out how Robobrains were made and telling the technocrats has them horrified by the brutality and puzzling at the usefulness of robots that had an easier time figuring out how to turn any order into killing their allies. Or actually being concerned when they find out that minor raider camp you were sent to actually contained like 20 radscorpions.

Let me see some forward intertia. Having everything be stuck like it was 10 years after the war when its 210 instead, having to deal with another major city that is just 'a shanty town in a wacky location', dealing with more groups like Talon Company or the Gunners who are evil for the sake of it, I'm tired of all that, tired of just doing FO3 but more. Let us see something different, something new. Show the world is not entirely stagnant, it would be much more interesting.

Of course, Bethesda writing being what it is there would be obvious good guy and bad guy factions, with the later being cackling evilly after betraying you for the tenth time.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Ashsaber posted:

Of course, Bethesda writing being what it is there would be obvious good guy and bad guy factions, with the later being cackling evilly after betraying you for the tenth time.
In a few months when the MS deal goes through it won't be a given that Fallout 5 would be made by Bethesda. You could have Fallout games from Obsidian, InXile, or even Rare or Ninja Theory I guess.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

At this point I would be fine with MS creating a new studio specifically to work on Fallout games. Current Obsidian is not the same studio that created New Vegas. What did goons not like about Outer Worlds and Wasteland 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ashsaber posted:

Idle thought today had me wondering what I would want in a potential Fallout 5, and that kind of ballooned out. incoming :words:

I love these ideas. Especially the notion of a society that basically reinvented communism, but hates commies.