Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It's immitation spicy spring time, friends.
I'm using the serious eats recipe, and finally realized "wait a second, if I'm always having trouble stretching the dough evenly enough to fit my pan... Just make a little more dough????" And shockingly it works fine!

assembled, half with some goat cheese I had leftover in the fridge.

Came out perfectly, probably the best crust I've had overall ever. I might have moved the rack one rung lower in the oven, but otherwise I finally restrained myself from going way too overboard with the toppings and overloading the entire crust in to a wet mess. It was very very difficult.

Just right golden brown on the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I did the same thing recently with the serious eats no-knead deep dish dough. I could never get it to fill two cast iron pans so I amped the recipe up by 50% and it got the job done.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Malefitz posted:

Wow, looking at your guy's Pizzas I think I need to step up my Pizza game.
Seriously I was in (northern) Italy last week and I only found one Pizzeria which sold proper Neapolitanian style Pizza and could compete with the looks of your Pizzas. I'm impressed!

Here is a Margherita I made a few weeks ago.

San Marzano Tomatoes
Mozzarella di Bufala
Basil
Garlic
EVO

This is two days ago.

San Marzano Tomatoes
Fior di Latte (cheap one unfortunately)
Milanese Beef Salame
Pickeled Artichokes
Basil
Garlic
EVO

My dough recipe is:
100% flour (Caputo Tipo 00, 125g per Pizza currently)
64% Water (I used to do 70% but switched to 64% lately since 70% dough is a pain in the rear end to handle)
3% Salt
0.4-0.8% Fresh Yeast
24h - 48h refrigerated

I own a Pizza steel and let it preheat to 250°C for 45 minutes. I bake the Pizza 5-6 minutes and then 1-1.5 minutes using the broiler function.

Any tips or recommendations? I know my Pizza could use a bit more browning, I guess I need to give a bit more time with the broiler function...

This is pretty close to what I do for a pizza steel in an oven. Sometimes I go for 2-3 minutes with the broiler, depends on how wet my cheese/sauce/toppings are. Bit of a guessing game you just kinda have to keep an eye on it and not overdo it so the crust turns black. A tip I learned from FWSY is you can use the broiler for 5-10 minutes before putting the pizza on to super heat the steel to 650F degrees or higher (as checked with laser thermometer). I think it helps? Sometimes it can make my smoke alarm go off is there is some residual oil or flour left on from previous bakes I forgot to scrape off the steel.

The pizzas look pretty darn tasty. I might make some dough tonight now using your recipe.

Here is one of mine I did recently. I love pepperoni and banana peppers on pizza.

slave to my cravings fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 16, 2020

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I gotta rec this, which I think was previously posted in this thread: https://thetakeout.com/homemade-chicago-style-thin-crust-tavern-pizza-a-love-1844549899

Easily the best cracker pie I've had. Use the food processor, doing it in a mixer was a huge PITA and not as good.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

slave to my cravings posted:

This is pretty close to what I do for a pizza steel in an oven. Sometimes I go for 2-3 minutes with the broiler, depends on how wet my cheese/sauce/toppings are. Bit of a guessing game you just kinda have to keep an eye on it and not overdo it so the crust turns black. A tip I learned from FWSY is you can use the broiler for 5-10 minutes before putting the pizza on to super heat the steel to 650F degrees or higher (as checked with laser thermometer). I think it helps? Sometimes it can make my smoke alarm go off is there is some residual oil or flour left on from previous bakes I forgot to scrape off the steel.

The pizzas look pretty darn tasty. I might make some dough tonight now using your recipe.

Here is one of mine I did recently. I love pepperoni and banana peppers on pizza.

Thanks for the tip about using the broiler for heating up. I do that from time to time but was never sure if it made a difference. I will try to do that more often now!

Your Pizza looks delicious too, what cheese are you using?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

slave to my cravings posted:

Hell yes, this is a pro combo.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
For that one I think I used the Costco mozzarella logs and broke it up into manageable pieces. I switch back and forth between fresh mozzarella and just drier shredded mozzarella. Fresh definitely makes the cooking a bit dicier in the oven cause of how wet it is. Sometimes it’s tough to get the center dough to bake through without scorching the crust a ton.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

ogopogo posted:

The Last Action Gyro pan pizza...
Garlic oil/mozz/parm/gyro meat/feta/red onion base to fire, then finished with tzatziki, dill, parsley, feta, red onion, and a harissa hot sauce that some friends have created and are selling now.

I tried replicating this and succeeded as well as the third copy in the hit film Multiplicity might have:

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I tried replicating this and succeeded as well as the third copy in the hit film Multiplicity might have:

The Multiplicity comment hits especially funny to me because that drat movie has come up randomly in conversation over the last week out of nowhere. I'm sorry the pizza didn't turn out as hoped, just keep trying - the joy of pizza is eating our mistakes :P

Trying out something...
The Oyster Mushrooms Rockefeller pizza - garlic oil, parm, oregano, fontina, pink oyster mushrooms, branched oyster mushrooms, lions mane mushrooms, spinach, mozz, and finished with sourdough breadcrumbs we make, parm, and a healthy lemon zest. Turned out loving way better than we had imagined in our minds - my wife put together the idea when she was in the shower. Bless those shower thoughts!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Here’s a potato photo of a non-potato pizza. It was loving fantastic.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Here’s a potato photo of a non-potato pizza. It was loving fantastic.

I loving love fresh red onion slivers, and that is a tasty looking pizza even from here.

The only picture of the cast iron pizza i got before it was devoured by the crowd. We're finally hitting the mark!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
That's a fantastic crumb in that crust there.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Made a cute personal pizza with fork for scale

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

Made a cute personal pizza with fork for scale

8" hand pies are awesome bangers, great for parties to bust out all different toppings.

Snagged a sick shot of my margherita coming out of the oven!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Cyrano4747 posted:

I finally got ahold of some whole wheat flour and holy poo poo adding just a little bit (I'm too lazy too look at my recipe but something like 35g whole wheat, 350g strong AP) really loving improved things.

I neglected to take a picture but it was beautiful and delicious.

I was thinking about this whole dealing with some of my hipster flours. I think I tried this some years ago. The dough handled and rolled more easily but I lost a the chew. Has the actual texture improved for you?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I was thinking about this whole dealing with some of my hipster flours. I think I tried this some years ago. The dough handled and rolled more easily but I lost a the chew. Has the actual texture improved for you?

Yeah. It's got a better chew to it and it feels like it crisps a little bit better.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
A simple and beautiful pizza that our chef came up with - Sourdough base, NY sauce, garlic oil, parm, sliced fresh garlic, squash blossoms, then into the fire. After it comes out it's finished with burrata, fresh cracked black pepper, olive oil.

And one with prosciutto!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah. It's got a better chew to it and it feels like it crisps a little bit better.

After this discussion, I switched in some whole wheat flour into Kenji's Detroit Pizza recipe. It came out really wet. It reminded me of when I tried to make bread with some teff flour and it turned into a liquid (teff is the devil for breads with any height). That was a good thing for a Detroit-style pizza since it spread out in the pan much more easily. I'm not as familiar with this recipe as I am with my regular pizzas so I haven't really made up my mind yet.

However, my wife considered the Detroit pizza a smashing success surpassing the local place we have that does this style so now I'm kind of stuck with it when we want something in the "inside oven" and don't want to start a wood fire outside. I'd recommend that recipe, but add a teaspoon of chili flakes as an exact measure since we like some heat mixed in.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah the recipe I use calls for something like. 1:10 ratio of wheat to white. I know gently caress all about bread science but I guess a little goes a long way. If anything it feels a bit more gluttony, not watery, but let me emphasize that I’m an idiot when it comes to understanding anything beyond “mix poo poo, put in oven”

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I wonder if I can get kenji's Detroit pizza to spread nice into one of the fancy brownie pans for a superior all edge Detroit pizza.

:hmmyes:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

toplitzin posted:

I wonder if I can get kenji's Detroit pizza to spread nice into one of the fancy brownie pans for a superior all edge Detroit pizza.

The thread needs this. You must make the all corner piece detroit pie.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
If my experience with Teff flour is any indication, you could make 5% of the flour teff and it'll be bubbly batter that'll fill in everywhere but still bake into a bread.

Does anybody actually have one of those pans?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does anybody actually have one of those pans?

Yes

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

toplitzin posted:

I think... I'm actually gonna order one of these:
https://lloydpans.com/pizza-tools/pizza-pans/long-pan-pizza.html

At least two crust sides on every piece?!?1 Lloyd's is amazing.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Long loooong paaaaAaAaaan!

Edit:

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 9, 2020

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

How much of an abomination would I create if I tried cooking pizza in a Bundt pan?

MistressMeeps
Dec 27, 2017

Democratic Pirate posted:

How much of an abomination would I create if I tried cooking pizza in a Bundt pan?

A beautiful disaster. You should do it!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Made some pizza! NY(ish) style dough. Dough comes together in a food processor and proofed overnight in the fridge. Sure you don't get the same flavor development as a 3 day rise in the fridge or a sourdough, but for weeknight pizza this is a winner.

Cheese:

White sauce pizza.
Left: Sausage (veg), peppers, onions, ricotta, hot honey.
Right: Blue cheese and pickles (which was insanely good and you should put pickles on pizza).

angor fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 14, 2020

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Looks great!

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

angor posted:

(which was insanely good and you should put pickles on pizza).

this is extremely true and extends beyond pickled cukes- pretty much any pickled veg is great on pizza

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I’m so happy I got back into making pizza.

No knead dough cold fermented for 3 days, garlic, jalapeño, and pepperoni. The bottom was a little paler than I’d like, but that was probably because I was in a bit of a hurry and didn’t preheat my cast iron as much as I should’ve.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Gann Jerrod posted:

No knead dough cold fermented for 3 days, garlic, jalapeño, and pepperoni. The bottom was a little paler than I’d like, but that was probably because I was in a bit of a hurry and didn’t preheat my cast iron as much as I should’ve.

that looks/sounds amazing.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Gann Jerrod posted:

Is it a sourdough with that long cold ferment?

How is it? I've only ever cold fermented my sourdough crust for a day or so.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
Anyone found a good recipe for a medium thickness american pie? I've been trying my hand at ny for awhile and the thinness of them just hasn't been turning out too well for me, always end up like a cracker on my stone.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 26, 2020

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is it a sourdough with that long cold ferment?

How is it? I've only ever cold fermented my sourdough crust for a day or so.

I usually put it in the fridge sunday to make pizzas friday. Does it make it sourdough? No idea but it tastes real good. I think the sourdough breads i usually eat are definitely more tart.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

augias posted:

I usually put it in the fridge sunday to make pizzas friday. Does it make it sourdough? No idea but it tastes real good. I think the sourdough breads i usually eat are definitely more tart.

I was more asking if you were using a packaged yeast or using a sourdough starter.

I do pizza with my sourdough starter, for example, and it tastes like normal pizza dough. But the fact that I'm using my sourdough means it needs a longer ferment than if I was using commercial yeast.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

I was more asking if you were using a packaged yeast or using a sourdough starter.

I do pizza with my sourdough starter, for example, and it tastes like normal pizza dough. But the fact that I'm using my sourdough means it needs a longer ferment than if I was using commercial yeast.

Ah yeah, mixed commercial yeast and let it ferment at room temp for about a day, then make two dough balls and put em in the fridge. Not proper sourdough

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

lurker2006 posted:

Anyone found a good recipe for a medium thickness american pie? I've been trying my hand at ny for awhile and the thinness of them just hasn't been turning out too well for me, always end up like a cracker on my stone.

Kenji's NY pizza recipe is the first choice. In general, you could be doing a few things wrong;

1. Using a dough with low gluten. I have one artisinal flour that rolls completely flat, can't be hand formed, and doesn't puff on the outside.
2. Not factoring in a longer bake with your hydration. If you aren't running a consistent 600 degrees and have to extend your bake to finish the pizza, then a recipe expecting those conditions will dry.
3. Rolling in one and two: using an artisinal flour with a high ash content will eat some of your water (like ten percent). This can even be a problem if you are using a regular albeit whole-wheat flour.

You can also fake some moisture using oil and Kenji's recipe does that. If you go overboard, it will eat flour during handling and never quite stop being sticky.

Edit: I guess you could have killed the gluten too from overkneading but that takes some real effort.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 30, 2020

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Kenji's NY pizza recipe is the first choice. In general, you could be doing a few things wrong;

1. Using a dough with low gluten. I have one artisinal flour that rolls completely flat, can't be hand formed, and doesn't puff on the outside.
2. Not factoring in a longer bake with your hydration. If you aren't running a consistent 600 degrees and have to extend your bake to finish the pizza, then a recipe expecting those conditions will dry.
3. Rolling in one and two: using an artisinal flour with a high ash content will eat some of your water (like ten percent). This can even be a problem if you are using a regular albeit whole-wheat flour.

You can also fake some moisture using oil and Kenji's recipe does that. If you go overboard, it will eat flour during handling and never quite stop being sticky.

Edit: I guess you could have killed the gluten too from overkneading but that takes some real effort.
Would using a broiler help me out? My cheese might be lagging behind my crust. I can usually get around 550F.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

toplitzin posted:

So...

it turns out...

Yes.

Yes you loving can.

Half sausage, half pineapple, all jalapeno, pepperoni, and bell peppers.