Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Kind of blows my mind to hear that sumo stables don't employ real trainers and nutritionists. Guess they'd all look like NFL guards or nose tackles if they did which would still be incredible to watch. Is the money just not there to fund it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Kind of blows my mind to hear that sumo stables don't employ real trainers and nutritionists. Guess they'd all look like NFL guards or nose tackles if they did which would still be incredible to watch. Is the money just not there to fund it?

Relative to big sports like soccer, NFL, etc there's not that much money, but I'm not sure there's much real trainers or nutritionists could really add to their training. I mean, other than better injury management.

High calorie diet with intensive strength training geared towards what happens on the dohyo. You could fiddle with weight regimes outside the traditional training, but that seems to happen already.

Ideally, rikishi wouldn't be quite so fat, but average weights have been rising, so there's obviously an advantage to it. Look at some of the historical sizes - someone 'small' like Kotoeko would have been a fatty fat fat maybe even 50 years ago.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Take a look at the Vince Wilfork body issue if you want to know what most of the nose tackles and guards would look like without the benefit of pads. Top level sumo wrestlers are athletic as hell but also wearing very little.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Gerund posted:

Take a look at the Vince Wilfork body issue if you want to know what most of the nose tackles and guards would look like without the benefit of pads. Top level sumo wrestlers are athletic as hell but also wearing very little.

Lol, I actually googled that while typing my previous post. I couldn't remember what position he played.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Gerund posted:

I mean Vince still looked more "solid" I guess than the average sumo. I don't mean to diminish their athletic ability hell I got sold on giving sumo a shot because I like offensive line play. If you really want to talk NFL body issues the Eagles offensive line issue was more my thoughts.

nsfw-ish. Nobody is hanging dong but I don't know your employer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htrKSiRfkXI

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Shodai's ozeki promotion ceremony.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

Relative to big sports like soccer, NFL, etc there's not that much money, but I'm not sure there's much real trainers or nutritionists could really add to their training. I mean, other than better injury management.

High calorie diet with intensive strength training geared towards what happens on the dohyo. You could fiddle with weight regimes outside the traditional training, but that seems to happen already.

The problem is that we don’t really know if there’s a better way to do things because no one wants to try and the rules are geared against them. The drills they are doing might work ok and do the job but who knows if there’s something better a real pro could figure out. All of the oyakata are great at sumo and might be fantastic at coaching all the technique involved, but there’s a reason why even D2 football teams have S&C coaches rather than just having the position coaches point them to the gym and tell them to do what they did in their playing days. Maybe they’ve stumbled on the ultimate training system but I’d bet against it.

As for the rules, if the NFL said that in order to be hired on a coaching staff, you must have made a Pro-Bowl or have a 10 year career, they’d probably be able to find qualified coaches, but they’d have missed out on a lot of innovation over the years from guys who never made the pros for whatever reason.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Shiroc posted:

Shodai looks less delighted with his victory fish than some of the other guys
https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/1311100698080063488
The caption describes the new ozeki as "smiling." :raise:

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

He’s making the same face as the fish

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

He's making the same face I would be if someone told me to hold a heavy rear end fish with one hand for anything more than four seconds.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Maybe he's making that face because someone told him he will make Ozeki, but there's a catch.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://tachiai.org/2020/09/30/all-tamanoi-beya-rikishi-to-keep-their-ranks/

no loss of rank for any of the rikishi from the heya that suffered the covid outbreak right before the basho

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXbj-1xY7fc

A cool video from Chris Sumo on Ura's return, as someone who started watching Sumo after his injury and hadn't seen many of his matches it still got me invested in him.

Biosys fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 3, 2020

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Biosys posted:

A cool video from Chris Sumo on Ura's return, as someone who started watching Sumo after his injury and hadn't seen many of his matches it still got me invested in him.

Chris has been knocking it out of the park lately. His recent vids focusing on match analysis from the last basho has been pretty good. His latest one on what people have figured out about Enho is pretty good.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

The NSK voted to increase the basho attendance limit from 2500 to 5000, 2 people per 4-person booth (up from 1), 1 empty seat spacing between occupied seats (down from 3).

Brut fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 19, 2020

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Biosys posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km98x8L72hU

Look how happy Ura is :D

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1318511128360660993

lmao

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
hakuho is very good at sumo and probably anything that involves grappling

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i take it the ban on deigeiko must be relaxed now? i did a double check in case i was mistaken but no they aren't in the same heya

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

hakuho is very good at sumo and probably anything that involves grappling

His dad was an Olympic silver medalist in freestyle wrestling so he’s got the genes for it...

Thauros posted:

i take it the ban on deigeiko must be relaxed now? i did a double check in case i was mistaken but no they aren't in the same heya

They opened up the kokugikan’s training area and said anyone looking for training partners can show up.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

186 kg Orora

https://twitter.com/satoshi551/status/1319856711709188101

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Brut posted:

The NSK voted to increase the basho attendance limit from 2500 to 5000, 2 people per 4-person booth (up from 1), 1 empty seat spacing between occupied seats (down from 3).

That's probably not a good idea as Japan is currently in the midst of a second wave that has twice as many cases as the first.

https://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0006521366

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

COVID loving sucks.

It's banzuke weekend though! The big question of the basho has to be if shin-ozeki Shodai can get a kachi-koshi. I think probably, but I don't think it will be a very strong one. He's definitely susceptible to getting too in his head, and I think he'll be stressed out at his ozeki debut.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Yup, Banzuke should be up in about 6 hours.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Good. I was going to start banging my knife and fork on the table and yelling “where’s my banzuke!” like in an old timey cartoon.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

And it’s up!

http://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoBanzuke/index/index.php/index.php/index.php/

No surprises at the top. Ishiura and Kotoshigiku down to J3e and w respectively, Abi all the way down to J11. 29 year old Akua (Will be 30 by tourney start) is the only Makuuchi debut, though Kotonowaka who was 4-6-5 in his July debut will get another shot.

Edit: Ura at J13e. The best anyone’s done at that rank this century is a 13-2 Yusho in 2007 and that got promoted to J3e so his earliest Makuuchi return looks like January.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 26, 2020

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Hello, I have read this entire thread and now I am ready for Sumo

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Welcome to the thread, friend, I hope you'll join us for Fantasy this basho.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I am here to root for Enho, who is small but large at heart

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
I hope his heart is a little bit larger in November than it was in September...

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

I knew it was coming but Ishiura dropping to Juryo is a real bummer

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Neodoomium posted:

Hello, I have read this entire thread and now I am ready for Sumo

congratulations. it loving owns. also, do the fantasy basho so when enho inevitably underperforms you've got other guys to root for.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Tochi at m7e? Surprised he didn't drop further.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Conversely, Takayasu back at K is a little surprising but not unwelcome. He did pretty well last go-around but I'm still being cautious. Let's say cautiously optimistic.

I was only expecting a bump of a few spots. Figured maybe he and Tochi would just swap spots, not leapfrog all the way up to K.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Conversely, Takayasu back at K is a little surprising but not unwelcome. He did pretty well last go-around but I'm still being cautious. Let's say cautiously optimistic.

I was only expecting a bump of a few spots. Figured maybe he and Tochi would just swap spots, not leapfrog all the way up to K.

with the bloodbath at m2-4 and an extra san'yaku spot even after both m1s got promoted it basically had to be him or kiribayama. i had originally guessed the latter due to being ranked one full rank higher but the taichai banzuke predictor and a couple people here called that takayasu would prob get the nod due to an extra win plus his ozeki history.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 29, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

To be frank I forgot about the hellscape that was M2-4 and withdraw my previous surprise :haw:

Though I would 100% believe there is a bit of the “ol’ ozeki privilege” that gave him the leg up on Kiribayama.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

whats for dinner posted:

I knew it was coming but Ishiura dropping to Juryo is a real bummer

I’m hoping he runs roughshod on some dudes if the ankle is healed up.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Martytoof posted:

To be frank I forgot about the hellscape that was M2-4 and withdraw my previous surprise :haw:

Though I would 100% believe there is a bit of the “ol’ ozeki privilege” that gave him the leg up on Kiribayama.

1 win vs. 1 rank is close enough that it’s a reasonable enough tie breaker. The other thing I read was that they punish kyujo “losses” harsher than real losses (which seems rather backwards) so that could Be the tiebreaker as well.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The joys of being a parent.