Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Playing The Survivalists on PC. It's pretty fun. Monkey management gets a little fiddly and frustrating when you have a lot of them following you around but I'm having fun overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Anyone try out Empyrion recently? I bought it a year or two ago (it's still $20 on steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/383120/Empyrion__Galactic_Survival/ )

I played some multiplayer with friends only, it was fun building spaceships but got stale pretty quickly. I moved to a server called HWS (URL here: https://empyrion-homeworld.net/ ) and it adds several important elements:
-A ton of content/quests/stuff. Lots of storyline stuff hammed from project eden & other mods (but they built a ton themselves). The quests may be sorta janky but they all work. The difficulty is set to ultra everywhere, so PvE is challenging but lovely in that mobs nearly one-shot you in most armors so you have to be tricksy.
-Rare resources like Gold and Zascosium/Erestrum are mostly in PVP zones [several PvE zones have it too but they are rare]. This means that you kind of have to make your way to the PvP eventually which is good incentive. PvP ship combat can be somewhat janky with tick rates but overall it's competitive and fun. I have killed several people already in my miner capital vessel, then they regrouped in a swarm of small vessels and brought me down and took my stuff. I am looking forward to revenge.
-A full web app integration - you can get bonuses like extra HP or Stamina/Food. In addition they have a web-based online auction house for in game currency, daily play rewards, etc.
-150 slots. That's a shitload of players, and why the hosting fees are so high methinks.
-It's monetized, but not really pay to win at all. They outline some costs ($700+/mo in hosting!! yikes) You can't buy anything through the web store you can't get in-game that affects combat. Most of the webstore stuff is bonus resources to save you time, or extra slots for reset-proof storage. Their patreon is making enough to sustain their efforts for now. I haven't given them a dime and don't feel gimped whatsoever.
-Everyone gets reset-proof storage that you can upgrade with credits (credits can be moved from in-game to the web app using several chat commands). They reset every couple of months. Given how much stuff you can take across the reset, if you plan correctly the time investment to get back up and running will be pretty low.
-There are server rules so read them, a big one that gets me all the time is the chat swearing filter. It sucks but whatever, this server is so far ahead of all others that it's ridiculous.

Bonus base pic, it's a big rear end hollow ringworld with 4 gravity generators so you can walk completely around the inside of the outer edge with seamless transitions (I only use 1 quarter mostly):

The ship under construction is my wife's. We're building in the Cymm planetary system on the first star of the outer rim, Paimathra (PvE Zone). If anyone wants to play feel free to DM me in-game Spudthegreat, or just hit me up here or whatever - I'll keep an eye on this thread for a bit.

Spudalicious fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 24, 2020

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Anyone played Project Zomboid recently and can vouch for whether it's good or not? I can't even remember the last time I played but I remember being extremely disappointed with it. I've heard there have been some updates to it recently and saw a youtube video that looked pretty good (graphics and combat seemed to have been overhauled).

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Qubee posted:

Anyone played Project Zomboid recently and can vouch for whether it's good or not? I can't even remember the last time I played but I remember being extremely disappointed with it. I've heard there have been some updates to it recently and saw a youtube video that looked pretty good (graphics and combat seemed to have been overhauled).

If you didn't like it before, you won't like it now. Its super hard now but more or less the same as its always been.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If you didn't like it before, you won't like it now. Its super hard now but more or less the same as its always been.

I dunno, I played it early in the year (some coop and some solo) and enjoyed it. I didn't like/play it much when it first came to Steam though, as it was so barebones. It's definitely hard at first though - you'll need to check the wiki for certain things

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Qubee posted:

I played pretty recently after not having played since 2011 and I'd say it's good. The beta patches are definitely worth getting, the last stable release was a year ago.

It's very slow paced and methodical, and there is a bit of a difficulty curve. It's loot based so it's fairly RNG driven which has its pros and cons. The combat and zombie horde management (sneaking, running away from dangerous situations, yelling to lead them away, etc.) are pretty fun.

I had fun with it, but if inventory management and very deliberate crafting are dealbreakers for you then you might not enjoy it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Major Isoor posted:

I dunno, I played it early in the year (some coop and some solo) and enjoyed it. I didn't like/play it much when it first came to Steam though, as it was so barebones. It's definitely hard at first though - you'll need to check the wiki for certain things

Sorry I wasn't trying to say the game was bad, its actually quite good, its just been in development for WAY too long. I got really into it for a while, but you're right, you eventually walk away with this feeling that the experience is barebones. At one point the game was almost too easy, but now I would say its too hard. Like if you manage to actually last more than a couple days, you are really loving good at this game.

It OOZES atmosphere though if you can properly give yourself over to it. SO MANY audible yelps and jump scares from turning around only to see a zombie coming up on me, its insane that Sims 1 graphics are able to freak me out that much.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah if you do use it just do straight to B41 instead of staying on the stable B40, significant differences and at some point in the near future it’s going to shift to B41 anyway.

I would advise getting used to the custom sandbox settings. Default game is definitely very challenging. You can change a lot regarding difficulty if you’d like.

I’ve found the Long Term Survival mod to cover some long term holes in PZ crafting and survival. Hydrocraft is neat but a massively bloated mess.

Survivor Radio attempts to add music and voice acted radio channels to enhance the ambience and immersion. Disclaimer: I wound up being a voice actor of a minor character in their larger story.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Spudalicious posted:

Anyone try out Empyrion recently? I bought it a year or two ago (it's still $20 on steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/383120/Empyrion__Galactic_Survival/ )

I haven't touched Empyrion in a couple of years, but I did play an earlier version of that Homeworld mod/server/whatever for a bit with a buddy, who spent a ton of time with it for a while (he hasn't played in about a year, though). I liked it, but you definitely need to join up with a crew if you want to do anything more than basic gameplay stuff. Base- and ship-building is way more fun when you've got 5+ people working on stuff instead of just one, especially if even half of them are coordinating with one another. I stopped playing because my computer couldn't keep up with PVP, and I wasn't going to upgrade for a cheap early access space game. It's a fun game if you like the "voxel building/crafting/survival" genre, BUT IN SPACE (and on planets). Mine ore to process into ingots to make materials to build things that can craft stuff, and try not to die while you do it (there's also a creative mode, which just gives you infinite everything and removes the survival bars).

Similar on the surface, I've actually been getting into Stationeers again lately, and they've added a (optional) first-person helmet, done some UI touch-ups, and added new sounds for a bunch of stuff. I'm playing on Mars, with mostly-default settings, but the resources on the higher-than-normal setting. It may be a bit much, because there are patches of ores literally everywhere. I've got a bank of 8 solar panels hooked up to a sun-tracking circuit, which are feeding 6 batteries (large batteries just got added to the game, so I have one of those as well). Possibly overkill for what I've got going currently, but it's better to overproduce than underproduce, especially power. My greenhouse is small but makes enough for a lone astronaut (after getting a couple full stacks of potatoes and tomatoes, both of which make good long-term food when cooked in a microwave, I've been growing soybeans so I can get soy oil so I can make french fries).

If you haven't played/heard about it, Stationeers is a first-person crafting/building game about astronauts surviving on a planet/moon, and trying to eventually build a rocket to get off that rock. The main focus is on managing gasses, pressure, and temperatures; there's less emphasis on the "eating food to not die" part. It's sort-of-but-not-really like Oxygen Not Included, in that both games deal with gasses and temperatures along with more basic survival needs. There's also a pretty in-depth circuit system with logic chips that can do a bunch of different things like the aforementioned solar-tracking, or making your lights turn on when the sun goes down (ie: is no longer visible to the sensor). I mostly just copy designs from the wiki when I want to do something, and figure out why they work the way they do. There's no combat, or at least no PvE combat; eventually you can make guns and ammo in one of the 3d printers, which suggests shooting other players is possible, but I've been playing mostly solo or with friends, so that hasn't come up yet. It's become a chill podcast game for me, where I just load up my game and slowly expand my base while making sure my greenhouse has enough CO2 for my plants (and pumping the excess oxygen back to my oxygen holding tank).

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 25, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Spudalicious posted:

Anyone try out Empyrion recently?

I have been following Empyrion and was quite impressed that it has a full randomly generated galaxy now. I haven't taken the time for another play through to test it out, but I usually come back to it every once in a while.

How does the galaxy work on your server? Is there enough planets that you can hide and have one all to yourself?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Qubee posted:

I want to like it because I've put hundreds of hours into CATA:DDA, but keep bouncing off Zomboid every time I've tried. Fighting zombies never really gets any easier and (without mods) you always have a chance to get infected any time a zombie touches you and your game is just over. Even if you do go hard into combat, the third person hit detection combat is so finicky that you'll eventually whiff what should be an easy straight on hit on a zombie, get bit in the neck, and die. You're actually encouraged to play it as more of a stealth game, but there are huge amount of zombies everywhere so to me it's a constant annoyance trying to do anything because I'm endlessly skirting around zombies. You can min-max your character to be super stealthy and pretty much just walk around freely, but then you realize how tedious everything is as you're grinding out junk items and building walls and tearing them down just to level your skills enough to build a base and that's usually when I give up.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It OOZES atmosphere though if you can properly give yourself over to it. SO MANY audible yelps and jump scares from turning around only to see a zombie coming up on me, its insane that Sims 1 graphics are able to freak me out that much.

That's one of my favorite things about that game. That game can really put me on edge with the big crowds of zombies along with the game's emphasis on stealth. Clearing buildings is especially creepy. The sounds of them moaning all around you, glass breaking in the distance, all the thumping and banging on doors and windows without quite knowing where it's coming from or how long before they manage to break through.

Some people seem to play that game only for the multiplayer, which had been broken for a while after the last major update. The animation overhaul was so big that they had to shut down multiplayer while they integrated all the new changes. I'm not sure if it's playable yet. If you want multiplayer then I would stay clear of it.

I just play it for the single player though. I like that apocalyptic feeling the game gives you of being truly alone on a huge, slowly decaying map overrun by seemingly infinite zombies.

The old version of the game was certainly too easy. Once you got yourself established with the basic tools like a saw, hammer, axe, and some gardening stuff, it was easy to survive pretty much forever. There was no late-game content so every game I played ended the same way - I would start by raiding the nearest hardware stores and warehouses for tools, clear out a safe area, quickly gather enough stuff to survive for months, build a base or whatever, and then I would get bored. I would get bored enough that I would just start going out into the towns to kill as many zombies as I could. At some point I would get so numb to killing so many zombies that I would let my guard down and one of them would bite me, and then game over. I never once had to worry about running out of food or water. This was just on the default "survival" mode without playing with all the sandbox settings though. The "Six Months Later" start point was really fun.

They massively increased the difficulty in the current version and I think it's much better now. It feels more like a real struggle for survival. Even a small number of zombies can be a huge threat, and you really have to rely on stealth a lot more. The last time I played it, just getting into the local hardware store down the street was tough. It took me multiple attempts over the course of a couple of in-game days just to get inside to grab a few tools before the zombies outside noticed me again.

They are still constantly tweaking the game and it can always be improved but I've still had a lot of fun with it. I think I've gotten more than $15 worth out of it by now at least.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I just checked and have 334 hours in PZ so I can affirm that I uh like it a lot. The latest updates are really good, the way zombies are animated now is genuinely freaky at times and you can get very very spooked.

Ivan Shitskin says what I would say about the difficulty, now if you want lasting safety you probably need to hole up in a remote farm or something, though once you're established it suffers from the same fundamental problem of many in the genre. It's a very feast-or-famine experience, and the famine part is great because you're desperately scrounging through buildings, car trunks, dead bodies, looking for anything useful, all while either trying to avoid attention or with zombies already on your case but your situation so desperate you have to risk stopping and looking through stuff. That said the game's greater current difficulty does make the 'feast' part riskier than it used to be, and I've lost characters who are in a decent situation through overconfidence that would once have been eminently survivable.

That all said I suppose you could make the case that ending up dead because you get bored is a pretty believable thing, we've seen how many people have felt stressed in quarantine, imagine if it was that amped up 100 fold, leaving your house was a huge risk at all times, you couldn't make real amounts of noise, and nobody else was around to talk to or could be communicated with online. (I'm being facetious of course, not only is this not a dev objective it would be a bonkers thing to attempt to make a game boring on purpose :p). I think what would really work best is just letting zombies wander around more over a much greater area, so that you could think you're safe and wake up out in the sticks to tend your garden only to find that a horde of zombies is wandering past and you have to stay silent and inside until they leave. I guess you can approximate it with respawns but that's super annoying and immersion breaking to me so I always play without.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I think it's worth me giving it another shot. Changing tack completely cause of beats for junkies, I really enjoy Stationeers but when I did the sun-tracking solar tutorial, it totally turned me off the game, because QoL stuff like having solar panels actually follow the sun were put behind this huge confusing circuitry mess that just imploded my brain, even with a tutorial handholding me the entire way.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Stationeers needed more of an end-game and a reason to visit and colonize all the planets. It needed a way to take materials through the artifacts and it needed a better inventory management than "dig a hole in the ground" or "Fiddly mess of end-game robotic arms". More reason to actually explore would be cool, even if it was like, lore tablets or something. And a bigger backpack. I get the scarcity but during the mid-end game you just want to bypass it.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Rutibex posted:

I have been following Empyrion and was quite impressed that it has a full randomly generated galaxy now. I haven't taken the time for another play through to test it out, but I usually come back to it every once in a while.

How does the galaxy work on your server? Is there enough planets that you can hide and have one all to yourself?

The galaxy is limited compared to the standard scenario (which has potentially thousands of systems). There are many planets and moons, probably 150-200 if you counted them all. There's a core cluster of star systems in the beginning, these are the various storyline starter systems, and maybe 40-50 or so various PvE playfields, along with the major headquarters where you can quest/auction and bank without fees/buy things, as well as a fully-PvP playfield with abundant rare resources. Then there is the outer rim that spirals away from the starter cluster accessible only with a T2 warp drive which took me a fair while to get but you can do much quicker if you know what to get and use the online services more. Each system is only accessible from the last, so you can't skip ahead and each one has probably 20-30 PvE playfields (being either planet/moon and space around planets/moons) and a couple PvP ones. I am settled on the first star of the outer rim systems, but I could easily build a warp sled ship for someone interested and drop it off someplace more local. I don't know about having it all to myself, since its fairly large, but I haven't had any trouble looting my local POIs and getting what I need to build out more and more. I'm pretty much set up now for all space operations minus the occasional POI raid to break down a whole abandoned mine/drone base for plates and xeno substrate. There's harder missions for me to try to tackle, as well as PVP - which I am interested in getting more into but it seems resource intensive to rebuild the ship every time you lose a fight.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Bhodi posted:

Stationeers needed more of an end-game and a reason to visit and colonize all the planets. It needed a way to take materials through the artifacts and it needed a better inventory management than "dig a hole in the ground" or "Fiddly mess of end-game robotic arms". More reason to actually explore would be cool, even if it was like, lore tablets or something. And a bigger backpack. I get the scarcity but during the mid-end game you just want to bypass it.

There is a bigger backpack, at least. The hardsuit jetpack has a bigger inventory than the basic suit, and you can also make a hardsuit backpack that takes up 1 slot but can hold 12 items. Now when I go on a mining excursion, I just stick a few backpacks in my jetpack and fill 'em all with ore until I'm full or get bored (I usually get bored after filling 2, if not before then).

By "inventory management" do you mean putting things in crates and lockers? The standing ones with 32 forward-facing slots are great for managing all my extra parts I'll eventually need, someday.

I'm not sure what "needed a way to take materials through the artifacts" actually even means in the context of ""The Martian": The Video Game."

The end-game, afaik, is "build a rocket to win," like Factorio, and it might be disappointing to actually do, but I don't think I'll find out anytime soon. To me, the whole point of the game is the "make machines to build things that craft stuff to create gee-gaws that get used to make more machines" cycle (also "make and decorate a fancy base"), not the make-a-rocket "goal." I mean, eventually, sure, I'll probably make a rocket because I'll get bored decorating my color-coordinated-by-function rooms with unnecessary comfortable furniture and putting in unnecessary completely necessary digital displays showing power/temp/pressure readouts for every major facility in my breathable-atmosphere base, which will, of course, have multiple backup systems in place to make sure the whole thing won't explode horrifically (but probably entertainingly) in the event that something bad happens somewhere. Anywhere. You don't know, it might.

I don't need an end-game for that sort of thing. I usually actually get bored or distracted by another game before that point and just end up restarting when I eventually get back to this one.

After typing up this whole post, I'm wondering if you've possibly mixed up Stationeers with some other very-similarly-named game (or maybe played a much-earlier version). There seem to be quite a few, and as much as I love this game, I can never remember if it's called Stationeers, Astroneers, or Space Engineers (and of those 3, I only own Stationeers). If you do, in fact, mean https://store.steampowered.com/app/544550/Stationeers/, then I guess we're just looking for different things in our survival/crafting/building games, or at least this one. :)

edit: The store page description mentions being "inspired by Space Station 13" and I'm pretty sure multiplayer with a bunch of random strangers would be an entirely different experience than what I've been getting from the game, so maybe I'm just playing this game "wrong" by making it a chill solo thing.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 26, 2020

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

beats for junkies posted:

edit: The store page description mentions being "inspired by Space Station 13" and I'm pretty sure multiplayer with a bunch of random strangers would be an entirely different experience than what I've been getting from the game, so maybe I'm just playing this game "wrong" by making it a chill solo thing.

It's been a long time since I played and they seem to have added tons of stuff so maybe plans change, but my understanding when I bought and played was the endless survival game that exists now is a stepping stone to a more scenario driven game like SS13. ie drop into a problem with a group of other people, each person has a different tool, work together to figure it out in a time limit. Or play rounds in a large complex system where everyone has different jobs and most people are trying to keep things working while a couple antagonists try to sabotage stuff.

I might be totally off-base but stuff like the smallish inventory (even with the hardpack) and needing 5 different tools to construct/destruct prefab kits makes more sense for that kind of multiplayer than a solo game where you do everything yourself.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Ivan Shitskin posted:

Some people seem to play that game only for the multiplayer, which had been broken for a while after the last major update. The animation overhaul was so big that they had to shut down multiplayer while they integrated all the new changes. I'm not sure if it's playable yet. If you want multiplayer then I would stay clear of it.

I played it a lot with friends some time ago, but ultimately we began waiting for multiplayer for the newer versions, and it sounds like it's still not in / working properly, which is kind of a disappointment. Hopefully it will be functioning soon.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

TeaJay posted:

I played it a lot with friends some time ago, but ultimately we began waiting for multiplayer for the newer versions, and it sounds like it's still not in / working properly, which is kind of a disappointment. Hopefully it will be functioning soon.

It’s PZ - soon could easily be January or May.

Of 2022.

That said their MP updates in their News reports sounds promising but I’m no developer to understand if it sounds like 80% done or 15%.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Spudalicious posted:

is it still a laggy clownfest because that's what I remember homeworlds being

like, four? years ago when we last goonrushed it but whatev

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Gamerofthegame posted:

is it still a laggy clownfest because that's what I remember homeworlds being

like, four? years ago when we last goonrushed it but whatev

I'd say it's a half laggy clownfest. PVP seems pretty OK but I don't have much experience yet. PvE is fine. When there are many big/complex ships around I get framerate dips (R93900x, 2070Super, 32G RAM) but otherwise it seems pretty good even if a little jumpy with the tick rates being what they are.

Sometimes the game still breaks in weird unpredictable ways, but overall it seems good. Basic Survival sim experience.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

beats for junkies posted:

After typing up this whole post, I'm wondering if you've possibly mixed up Stationeers with some other very-similarly-named game (or maybe played a much-earlier version). There seem to be quite a few, and as much as I love this game, I can never remember if it's called Stationeers, Astroneers, or Space Engineers (and of those 3, I only own Stationeers). If you do, in fact, mean https://store.steampowered.com/app/544550/Stationeers/, then I guess we're just looking for different things in our survival/crafting/building games, or at least this one. :)
Yeah, I was thinking of Astroneers. Astroneers needed to be able to take vehicles through the artifacts and more of a reason to explore all the planets!

Stationeers looks like a low-budget space engineers with a better UI, I don't own it (yet)

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Bhodi posted:

Stationeers ... space engineers with a better UI

This is all I read, checking out Stationeers.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Stationeers' UI was, for a long time, the most backwards and insane garbage fire. Now it's just passable.

It also tries pretty hard to be as complex as can be so expect lots of fiddling and explosive decompression.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 28, 2020

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Dysmantle releases this week to EA, it looks really good. Anyone in the Alpha or anything to say how good/bad it is?

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Oh that looks like a blast. Thanks for the heads up!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm pretty baffled that its a singleplayer game. At the moment it looks like Fortnite and Zomboid had a baby

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Yeah I was a little bummed about it not having co op.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

deathbagel posted:

Dysmantle releases this week to EA, it looks really good. Anyone in the Alpha or anything to say how good/bad it is?

I picked it up and started playing it. I have maybe three hours into it?

It’s not bad? But it’s not a survival game like any in the thread, unless Dead Rising is a survival game. It’s really much more of a top down hack ‘n slash. Enter an area, kill some zombies with frantic clicking, then bash the objects around to get resources that you can take back to your camp to build new items and upgrades. But all blueprints are level locked, so you can’t get lock picks until level 11, and when you hit level 11, you get the recipe right away.

There’s really nothing that would make it a “survival” game - no hunger, no need to sleep, no resources you’re trying to sustain or bars to balance. Just tear down scenery to make upgrades so you can have better stuff to open new scenery to tear down. I have a bag of seeds, but nothing’s come up as a farming area or as a resource I would get for farming, and there’s no base to build yet.

Maybe I’m not far enough in to see those elements, but I’m pretty far into the second area of ten, I think. And again, it’s not a bad game, it’s fun so far, but it’s closer to Diablo and Torchlight than The Long Dark or Don’t Starve.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
It looks like a survival game but neither the tags nor the one line description ("DYSMANTLE is an open world game with lots of different activities to do") mention survival so, yeah.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Anyone play Grounded? I haven't been following the game much because I want to stay as spoiler free as possible, but I'm curious about opinions on how far along it is and if its worth playing yet or should I keep waiting?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Played it about a month ago myself, though only very briefly. It had a pretty polished feel to it in terms of UI, graphics, controls, etc. However the content was incredibly barebones and there was very little to go on. Also major important elements weren't working as intended. Like how one of the fundamentals of setting up is to build a perimeter wall to keep bugs out, but they could just walk right through the walls in most cases. Because apparently walls lost their collision boxes when you weren't looking at them.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

I played grounded too, it's definitely not ready and went back on the shelf for now. Not enough content and base building was buggy especially in multiplayer. Looks real nice though, it'll probably be good once it's closer to finished.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
On the plus side, props to grounded being the only game you can call buggy and get a *sigh* *chuckle* out of me.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Gamerofthegame posted:

is it still a laggy clownfest

This sentence and Space Station 13 being mentioned on the same page but not in relation to each other is really testing my suspension of disbelief. I'm on to you matrix simulation!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Speaking of SS13, I really can't wait for it to come out on Steam.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I played only a few minutes of Grounded and promptly shelved it to wait for the full release because I really liked the atmosphere and the whole feel. It they can actually make a full fledged game out of it without major bugs, I think it could be really good.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

How's Space Haven coming along? I remember it getting mentioned in the Rimworld thread. Though It looks way less sandbox than Rimworld (barely comparable really), but Space Haven has some great looking art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

lordfrikk posted:

I played only a few minutes of Grounded and promptly shelved it to wait for the full release because I really liked the atmosphere and the whole feel. It they can actually make a full fledged game out of it without major bugs, I think it could be really good.

I know someone upthread just made almost the same joke, but I hope there are more major bugs in the full release, and that walls will be able to keep them out (if they're ground-based bugs). Wolf spiders suck, sure, but imagine having to worry about wasps.

I played for a couple of hours, long enough to get to the oak tree, and there's just not very much there (yet). It's a good start, though. I like the setting and cartoonish art style, and I didn't have major performance issues (it crashed once, I think)